Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Trabisnikof posted:

That article interviews people who live in and grew up in Montana. But you're calling those people No-True-Westerners because they don't fit your limited worldview.
no he's saying that because he's a lovely loving gimmick poster

here is my ex-dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

"Yes, instead of getting to have a quiet natural area where I can exercise, I get to look at asphalt and eat McDonalds"--- an East Coaster who also probably thinks that Trump Steaks are a classy luxury item.

Maybe the lack of nature and prevalence of fast food has some type of downside?

I honestly think its got more to do with being so loving hot outside.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

"Yes, instead of getting to have a quiet natural area where I can exercise, I get to look at asphalt and eat McDonalds"--- an East Coaster who also probably thinks that Trump Steaks are a classy luxury item.

Throwing regional shade like this always leads to productive discussion with goons. :thumbsup:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

... that map does not match up with anything you are talking about.

DeVos' damage to your education system is so bad its actually starting to be retroactive apparently.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

business hammocks posted:

You don't think that guy's a troll by any chance, do you?

He's clearly never driven the I-5 before, that's for drat sure.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

This article is confused.

This article is people in the Eastern United States who have never been further than Pennsylvania, who think that the entire Western United States looks like rural Pennsylvania, and who are trying to figure it out based on that.

Oregon and Washington never used much coal power, Oregon and Washington had plentiful hydroelectric power coming from rivers. Coal mining was not a major industry in Montana: Montana's history is based around copper mining, if anything.

The county that Colstrip, Montana is in had a maximum population of 10,000 people, which even by Montana standards is small. Compare that to Silver Bow County (Butte), which at its peak had 25% of Montana's population. Contrary to the narrative about coal miners loving Trump, Silver Bow County has voted Democratic in every election in its history, with I think the exception of Nixon in 1972. But because the narrative is about environmentalist hating coal miners, Montana has to be about that, too.

I mean, okay yeah, but those are still some pretty dumb people, tho.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Noted East Coast states Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hollismason posted:

You want poo poo pizza then you want BLAZE pizza.

oh dear god. I love my mother but she recommended Blaze one time last winter and it was wretched.

Glad to see Jet's getting its due here, though.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

WampaLord posted:

Noted East Coast states Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

A majority of Louisiana's population is east of the Mississippi River.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That cluster of fat children in the New England states of Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi blows my mind. Thank god the Supreme Gynarch of the California Free State put mandatory athletic fields in all rest stops for when the children there take their mandatory weekly five-hour freeway rides. The triumvirate of West Connecticut could learn a lot from her, if only men were allowed in her presence on any day other than the Harvest Ritual.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lote posted:

A majority of Louisiana's population is east of the Mississippi River.

What the gently caress does the phrase "East Coast state" mean to you?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
well i mean new orleans is on A coast

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's true, we have no outdoors in Texas, so we got fat. :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I've been can confirm.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I thought you had an outdoors but it was overrun with giant man eating boars.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
If Texas had exercise rest stops this never happen

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

Yup. I was floored the first time I drove cross country and found how less-lovely East Coast rest stops are than West Coast ones.
Well then move east and keep that poo poo to yourself, thanks. If I want public-private partnerships where tax money is diverted from helping out poor kids to paying for a McDonald's franchise to further gently caress up the Papa John's Pizzeria At Inflated Prices And Acre of Concrete (née Vernita Bridge Rest Area) or whatever, then I guess now I know I can always move to loving Ohio or some other similarly piece of poo poo state. It's nice to have the choice (of never living in such a place).

:colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Texans is a typical new england state, full.of east coasters and it has state-wide air conditioning, causing weakness - glowing-fish

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Rest stop structuring is probably determined at the state government level.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I mean, I just drove across Washington State today and I can assure you that one thought that never crossed my mind was "gee, the nearest town is 15 minutes away and the Taco Del Mar is a short drive to the middle of it, but wouldn't it be so much better if the Taco Del Mar were right next to the loving freeway where it can block the view of Mt Stuart from I-90 and spread loving trash all over the place".

I mean Jesus H Christ do you folks have to concentrate really hard all the time lest you revert ruthlessly avaricious capitalists or what :smh:

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know Jimmy Johns bases itself on super fast delivery but how the gently caress does that work? Didn't places like Dominos get in big trouble in the 80s because their promised fast delivery times resulted in tons of car accidents?

Couple pages back, but JJ's limits their delivery area to within 1 mile of the store location and you are expected to be able to make a sandwich in under 25 seconds IIRC.

Also they overstaff for delivery drivers on most shifts.

Also the owner is a big game hunter/misogynist shitheel who is really into ratfucking the employees but that is not different from most other delivery chains, so. :shrug:

Oh and they put way too much mayo on everything. The wheat bread is the bomb though and you can sometimes get it at the end of the night for mad cheap.

Source: worked at JJs in college.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

voltroon posted:

Couple pages back, but JJ's limits their delivery area to within 1 mile of the store location and you are expected to be able to make a sandwich in under 25 seconds IIRC.

Also they overstaff for delivery drivers on most shifts.

Also the owner is a big game hunter/misogynist shitheel who is really into ratfucking the employees but that is not different from most other delivery chains, so. :shrug:

Oh and they put way too much mayo on everything. The wheat bread is the bomb though and you can sometimes get it at the end of the night for mad cheap.

Source: worked at JJs in college.

The one near me has Ayn Rand quotes on the wall.

JJ's bread is garbage too.

Years ago though when I worked in an office space on the other side of the state, they would come by like once a month handing out free 4" subs to everyone. That was kinda cool I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hunt for mysterious nude man who was pictured straddling a dead shark - as Jimmy John's founder DENIES it is him

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The JimmyJohn's where I went to college only had bicycle delivery people, which made sense since it was downtown next to the campus and most students lived pretty close to campus.

I liked ordering delivery. And I'm pretty sure I could've bought a dubsack from the dude who always delivered my sandwich.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

That article posted:

'Who is this man?' wildlife TV presenter Anneka Svenska asks in desperate tweet

and there you have it folks, the best sandwich chain!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Majorian posted:

He's clearly never driven the I-5 before, that's for drat sure.

who calls it that

it's just the five

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sounds right.

I had never once heard anyone say anything positive about that guy. He is just a terrible human being in all respects.

Who knows, maybe Trump can pick him to replace Spicer. He already has the requisite skillset for the job and would have no problems fitting in.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Pikavangelist posted:

I've only eaten at one place that could screw up pizza, and it wasn't them. It was Sbarro's.
Sounds like you need to experience Subway pizza.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OneEightHundred posted:

Sounds like you need to experience Subway pizza.

I must have lived near the best subway on earth one summer because theirs were actually good enough to order intentional, so I would get one every few weeks. One time when I was back at school, I order one at the local subway, and it was the foulest thing I had ever eaten. Like it tasted like tires and sewage

So kudos to you random subway franchisee in Seattle, you were a genius who could salvage subway pizza

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Since we are doing sandwich chat what's the consensus on Schlotzsky's ?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Number_6 posted:

Do those even exist anymore? Haven't seen once since like the 90s. (Michigan). I remember them being decent though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Number_6 posted:

Schlotzsky's is now owned by Roark, who also own Jimmy John's and Arby's. They're a venture capital firm. They're named after Howard Roark. Don't buy things from companies they own.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Number_6 posted:

Don't you mean (((Schlotzky's)))?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

glowing-fish posted:

What the gently caress point are you trying to make? When I'm driving from City A to City B I don't really give a poo poo about anything except getting from A to B. I'm from the west coast and why the hell would I want to stop at some poo poo smelling bathroom with a broken vending machine for any longer than I need to? I'd take a McDonalds over that any day of the week because at least McDonalds has: air conditioning, food, water/drinks/coffee, bathrooms that are at least maintained and cleaned daily, and wifi. I'll leave the "enjoying myself" part when I get to my destination and go to a real park or whatever.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Domino's had a fixed delivery time though, and anything later it was free, so drivers were "encouraged" to make it on or before the time limit

Our big thing as kids was:
1 - get money from parents to order pizza
2 - call domino's and ask for delivery to '303 15th st'
3 - they call back in a half hour and say 'there is no 303 15th st'
4 - tell them 'noooo, I said 50th, not 15th'
5 - free pizza, free money

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kekekela posted:

Our big thing as kids was:
1 - get money from parents to order pizza
2 - call domino's and ask for delivery to '303 15th st'
3 - they call back in a half hour and say 'there is no 303 15th st'
4 - tell them 'noooo, I said 50th, not 15th'
5 - free pizza, free money

quote:

“As good fortune would have it, we had a bodyguard that summer,” she writes. They persuaded their bodyguard to buy lemonade, and then their driver, and then the maids, who “dug deep for their spare change.”

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

lol

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I hope you at least gave the guy who delivered it a substantial tip.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Edible Hat posted:

Yeah, I hope you at least gave the guy who delivered it a substantial tip.

Like $50, it was a Robin Hood scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Probably don't go to Jimmy John's

I wonder if he's pleased or "deeply disturbed" that his chain's original sandwich is callled Pepe.

• Locked thread