Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

susan posted:

Kind of a generalized minis question, but this feels like the right group to ask:

Anyone know a good place to get Warhammer/Warmachine/Infinity/whatever-scale fences and boxes/crates? I've got an Old West-style building set which is great, but for some reason it didn't come with fences, gates, crates, that type of thing. It's a laser-cut wood set, so bonus points if they're that material as well. Thanks :) !

I get really nice wooden crates and barrels from Toad King Castings, they are resin but the quality is superb and decent value for money. The company is in U.K. though so shipping might be a pain depending where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I'm obviously biased because I would make my own fences and crates out of popsicle sticks. I saw an interesting method of wood grain by dragging a stiff wire brush along the grain that I haven't had an excuse to try out yet.

Floppychop posted:

What you're doing with simple plasticard is absolutely amazing.

Just curious, how many hours does it take you to make one Rhino?

I've never actually made just one rhino (when is only just one rhino needed in this drat game). The overall shapes and panels are really simple, I had all 3 chassis and some panels done in 3-5 hours with a bunch of breaks. They're basically offset trapezoids with some panel lines and trim, the most time consuming parts being the smoke stacks and tracks.

It's taking me forever to do these because the smaller the detail the more time consuming. Like those stupid Fleur de lis (which are maybe 1"X3/4" in size) were an entire evening to shape enough for every door. Similarly for the launcher components..

Every fancy pants option adds an evening now that I think about it like that. Making one takes almost as long as making 2-3 though, so may as well assembly line it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

susan posted:

Kind of a generalized minis question, but this feels like the right group to ask:

Anyone know a good place to get Warhammer/Warmachine/Infinity/whatever-scale fences and boxes/crates? I've got an Old West-style building set which is great, but for some reason it didn't come with fences, gates, crates, that type of thing. It's a laser-cut wood set, so bonus points if they're that material as well. Thanks :) !

Searching for "28mm Scatter Terrain" should turn up a lot of stuff.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Finished up my counts-as Spellsinger for Age of Sigmar.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
:eyepop: nice shading, the skin especially!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
These clanrats are killing me 😭😭😭

Still need to clean up and base those nerds then I'm 12/40 :smith:

I got a new desk lamp for non hobby purposes and used it for those pictures and it caused a FUCKTON of strobing. I had to ameliorate this by cranking the brightness up, does anyone have any other advice for dealing with that?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

These clanrats are killing me 😭😭😭

Still need to clean up and base those nerds then I'm 12/40 :smith:

I got a new desk lamp for non hobby purposes and used it for those pictures and it caused a FUCKTON of strobing. I had to ameliorate this by cranking the brightness up, does anyone have any other advice for dealing with that?

(rats looking good so far!)

I'm not sure how to help with the strobing, but what kind of lamp is it? I recently grabbed this baby and I'm super happy with it. It's got a nice range of adjustable brightness and temperatures of light output.

e.: Oh, susan, for crates and other scatter terrain in MDF, Death Ray Designs have some that might work.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

mango sentinel posted:

It took me a good second to figure out what you were asking as strobing is a video/motion issue (strobe would actually be a solution here.) - you're having a cycle/frequency issue. Play with your shutter speed to match the light cycle, a quick google is telling me 1/50 or 1/60 but I have no idea what kind of lamp you have.

Alternatively just get an LED bulb for it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It took me a good second to figure out what you were asking as strobing is a video/motion issue (strobe would actually be a solution here.) - you're having a cycle/frequency issue. Play with your shutter speed to match the light cycle, a quick google is telling me 1/50 or 1/60 but I have no idea what kind of lamp you have.

Alternatively just get an LED bulb for it.
It is an LED lamp, and yeah, I should have said banding maybe instead of strobing. Trying to match 60hz with 1/60 shutter speed is almost completely blown out white :3:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

It's no big deal because I didn't buy the lamp specifically for taking pictures, I was just hoping it would pull double duty, especially since it's so bright.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

mango sentinel posted:

It is an LED lamp, and yeah, I should have said banding maybe instead of strobing. Trying to match 60hz with 1/60 shutter speed is almost completely blown out white :3:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

It's no big deal because I didn't buy the lamp specifically for taking pictures, I was just hoping it would pull double duty, especially since it's so bright.

Ohhhh, ok that's totally different than what I was thinking was happening (which was issues with a gas-lamp flicker) - those are LED scan lines/banding. I have no idea if this is an issue specifically with the light itself, the sensor, or a combination of the two. You can't just tighten your aperture and lower your ISO setting to compensate for the blow out? I mean you can always do what the professionals do... move the light farther back. :)

(No idea what camera you have, but you could try playing around with disabling the electronic shutter/MS mode.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It's with my cell phone camera (Moto Z) and fiddling around with pro settings got me to the Skaven pictures I posted, but couldn't do much better.

I do have an old DSLR, and it apparently doesn't give a gently caress about it so I'll just go to the trouble of using that going forward.

Thanks for your advice.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Roughly How many coats of base should I be looking at to not be seeing the primer underneath anymore to work out if I'm just watering down way too much?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It's going to vary based on the pigment strength. I go for the consistency of milk, if I'm trying to paint 'all fancy like'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Southern Heel posted:

It's going to vary based on the pigment strength. I go for the consistency of milk, if I'm trying to paint 'all fancy like'

Is it normal to still feel with the bigger smooth areas like you're just pushing it around without getting much colour actually sticking after three coats?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Are you trying to paint red or yellow? If so possibly depending on the paint you're using. If you're doing basecoating by hand the citadel foundation paints are worth a consideration, they aren't the most beatiful colours but they have really strong coverage and will give you a nice base for the colour you actually want.

I always tell people to consider an airbrush even if all they use it for is basecoating.

Edit:
Did a whole bunch of basecoating last sunday, took me half a day total. Plus it already has a basic gradient going on.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 4, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

I always tell people to consider an airbrush even if all they use it for is basecoating.

I'll second this.

I pretty much only use my airbrush for priming and basecoating and I never want to go back.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is it normal to still feel with the bigger smooth areas like you're just pushing it around without getting much colour actually sticking after three coats?

If the paint is beading on the surface, you're watering it down too much. If the paint is sticking but you can still see the undercoat through it, consider starting with a slightly darker or higher pigment base coat. For example, I tend to base coat anything red with Doombull Brown.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

mango sentinel posted:

It's with my cell phone camera (Moto Z) and fiddling around with pro settings got me to the Skaven pictures I posted, but couldn't do much better.

I do have an old DSLR, and it apparently doesn't give a gently caress about it so I'll just go to the trouble of using that going forward.

Thanks for your advice.

Nice Chaos Warrior by the way. It's a simple conversion that I've not seen before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Floppychop posted:

I'll second this.

I pretty much only use my airbrush for priming and basecoating and I never want to go back.

100%

Priming models with rattle cans seems backwards now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeast posted:

100%

Priming models with rattle cans seems backwards now.

Well the reason to use rattle cans is because you don't have an airbrush

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I'll second this.

I have two cheap airbrushes - one siphon and one gravity fed. I don't have a compressor. Is there a good minimum-cost compressor I can get?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Well the reason to use rattle cans is because you don't have an airbrush

Exactly. So backwards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have an airbrush and I haven't done that. I probably should.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Perhaps, but I don't need to strip and clean a rattle-can every time I use it. :colbert:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ilor posted:

Perhaps, but I don't need to strip and clean a rattle-can every time I use it. :colbert:

I don't really have to do that with my airbrush either. My basic airbrush clean takes maybe 15 seconds longer than cleaning my hand brushes. (For a total of like 30 seconds)

Once you figure out how to get your paint consistency correct, it shouldn't jam up too bad usually. Vallejo Flow Improver is magic.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the best way to fix a dull coat that got a little cloudy? I was a bit aggressive in throwing a matte coat on (Valdspar Premium Finish Micromist Spray in Flat, if it matters) after my gloss coat had dried for a week, or maybe I sprayed from too close, and anyways I would like to fix it. Not a bi deal, but frustrating because the rest of the paint job I am pretty happy with.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to fix a dull coat that got a little cloudy? I was a bit aggressive in throwing a matte coat on (Valdspar Premium Finish Micromist Spray in Flat, if it matters) after my gloss coat had dried for a week, or maybe I sprayed from too close, and anyways I would like to fix it. Not a bi deal, but frustrating because the rest of the paint job I am pretty happy with.

Hit it with a coat of gloss again. That usually does the trick.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Hit it with a coat of gloss again. That usually does the trick.

Just a light gloss coat? I can do that.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Bad Munki posted:

Haven't painted for a while but the latest shipment of bones has me jonesin', so I did this guy tonight. He's okay, since it only took like an hour and a half, maybe two hours, but I'm not really stoked about the result. Any advice for my scary monster man?

Please excuse the poo poo pictures, I know they don't help but I haven't gotten to set up a mini booth for pics since moving.

Looks nice, but maybe add verdigris to the armour with some turquoise and light green and weather the axe, some rust stains maybe.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So I tried this DIY Paint shaker today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmMls-GYOI

It works really well, and cost me all of $6 for a clamp. If you've already got a jigsaw, it's a cheap solution.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

VolatileSky posted:

I recently discovered the Deimos pattern rhinos, and I really love that front end, so I'm going to be adding that to each of the exorcists tonight. Those boxes aren't too bad in comparison to other components, so not too freaked out about that after thought addition.

Hatches added, nearly done! Except a cupola viewports on a cupola cupolas'.(and rivets)
Those Missiles poking out were initially looking like a nightmare to do, but cutting off a small section of 1/4" solid rod, putting it in the chuck of a drill, and "milling" it down turned out to be kinda cathartic.

My Valdor tank hunter is coming along decently. Much more cabling/rivets to add into it however, I only just started adding stainless wire for cables last night. And definitely more cabling will be added to the capacitors along the barrel to make it look like they actually do something.

The most tedious portion has been making the tank treads for everything. Each exorcist needs about 5" per side, so that's 30" for three tanks, plus another 20" for the Valdor. In about 1/4" increments for each link :suicide:. I didn't realise the valdor is so loving huge until placed next to the rhinos. If anyone is interested in scratch building, it takes time but it's not too technically too demanding, just carefully measure twice cut once. But if you have large sections of tracks needed, try to find pre-made ones, that's honestly turned out to be the most soul crushing portion of this.

You are doing incredible work. Have you tried casting your tracks? Casting them in green-stuff using a simple one-sided putty mold may be all you need.
I like that you are using actual capacitors :D

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I have two cheap airbrushes - one siphon and one gravity fed. I don't have a compressor. Is there a good minimum-cost compressor I can get?

Cheapest? Old tire and a hose.

I got one of the Master ones with a tank. The cheap compressors are generally loudish and can sometimes pulse but a tank basically fixes both problems.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I let my 7 yr old daughter paint one of my old starter set Marines, all by herself. This is what she turned out.

From all the red splatters, I'd say this dude has seen some poo poo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Funzo posted:

I let my 7 yr old daughter paint one of my old starter set Marines, all by herself. This is what she turned out.

Way better than me.

By the way, I haven't touched my paints in a while like probably 5 months now. Tehy've all been opened and they're all Citadel official paints. Probably useless now, huh?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I've got some that are a couple years old. You should be fine.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ineptmule posted:

Nice Chaos Warrior by the way. It's a simple conversion that I've not seen before.
Thanks! I've done one Blood Warrior and five Sigmans. I've got a few Easy Build Liberators I'm thinking of fighting with for some more conversions then just mixing them with regular Chaos Warriors to fill out a 20-man unit.

Unfortunately I'm real bad at posing stuff and Liberators don't have a lot of options on top of that so they all look real same-y, but I guess that thematically fits Chaos Warriors :haw:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Funzo posted:

Grim Darkness.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks! I've done one Blood Warrior and five Sigmans. I've got a few Easy Build Liberators I'm thinking of fighting with for some more conversions then just mixing them with regular Chaos Warriors to fill out a 20-man unit.

Unfortunately I'm real bad at posing stuff and Liberators don't have a lot of options on top of that so they all look real same-y, but I guess that thematically fits Chaos Warriors :haw:

The Chaos heads and shields are a pretty great idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
WIP of my Nob w/ WAAAGH! Banner.

Honestly half the time I like converting more than I like painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly half the time I like converting more than I like painting.

Same except all the time. Its also one of the pillars of truth that make Orks the perfect faction.

Current project: something that only other Ork players will ever notice, probably

Up to 12 unique Deffguns. Only 3 to go for a full squad :smithicide:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 4, 2017