Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only good chain sandwich place is Potbelly's. Panera is okay if you are made of money (or was given like $150 in gift cards for high school graduation like I was). Otherwise, support your own local delis and sandwich shops you fools.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/870767705351127041
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/870768142120833024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Spaced God posted:

The only good chain sandwich place is Potbelly's. Panera is okay if you are made of money (or was given like $150 in gift cards for high school graduation like I was). Otherwise, support your own local delis and sandwich shops you fools.

Welp, looks like every good lower court ruling is not long for this world. :sigh:

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 3, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Publix deli

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Not surprising but nice to see in writing.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/870894444308045824

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spaced God posted:

5 4 decision etc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of course Gorsuch will recuse himself since this was an ongoing question during his confirmation

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gohmak posted:

Publix deli

Very good, and their house meats are sometimes better than Boar's Head. Publix roast beef is excellent.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Of course Gorsuch will recuse himself since this was an ongoing question during his confirmation

Oh, of course

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trump has decided not to try and block Comey from testifying via executive privilege. His lawyers probably saw the same problems we identified; if Comey defied Trump's request they would have had to go to court and it would be a tough argument to make there in less than a week.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/870847819376201728

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

Very good, and their house meats are sometimes better than Boar's Head. Publix roast beef is excellent.

If you like tough, chewy bread, yes its good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spaced God posted:

This seems bad. Is this bad?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

glowing-fish posted:

I've heard that East of the Mississippi (I hope that is a neutral term), interstate rest stops have fast food restaurants and stuff?

In the Western United States, all they have is bathrooms, drinking fountains, picnic tables, sometimes flyers of tourist attractions. Sometimes people make coffee which they give away for donations.

This isn't totally irrelevant to the thread, because I am learning about Trump's mindset, about a world where everything is commercialized and tacky, and where of course a rest area has a bunch of cheesy chain restaurants. The idea that a rest area could just be some trees and picnic tables is probably something that Trump couldn't understand.

By federal interstate funding law you're not allowed to have plazas on roads that were built as interstates unless they were tolled and grandfathered in. This is why you see plazas on all the east coast toll highways that predated the interstate system. There's plenty of no-commerce rest areas on various interstates in the northeast that are just bathrooms, vending machines, and a wifi hotspot.

There's a few non-tolled highways that still have service plazas (Route 128/I-95 in MA, the CT turnpike/I-95) and that's because they were grandfathered in.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

business hammocks posted:

This seems bad. Is this bad?

NPR is out on a limb with the "maybe they'll have a special session" nonsense, no one else is predicting that, and Trump's lawyers didn't ask for it.

They asked the court to issue a quick ruling on the injunction hoping to have the travel ban back in place while they wait for the case to be argued, but then brief and argue the case in a normal timeframe, during the fall session. The supreme court is going to go into recess in July, so they basically said "ok, if you want us to look at the preliminary injunction before we leave for the summer, then you need to hurry up with the briefs."

They need 5 votes for the preliminary injunction. If they grant it, then that'll be very bad news and we'll know that soon enough. If they leave the ban in place till they hear the case, that won't necessarily mean anything one way or the other because the 5th vote could be genuinely undecided, and its better to leave the ban in place for now.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 3, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Charliegrs posted:

The McDonald's in the walmart is truly the best you guys

As someone who used to work in Walmarts (Was a contractor handing out free food samples) my options for my lunch break were the company break room or the McD's up front.

The McDonald's atmosphere was maybe only has half as soul crushing as the beat-up Wally-Wold breakroom with promotional posters everywhere on how to be a good corporate drone.

citybeatnik posted:

Still prefer Conan Pizza's ALL FRANK FRAZETTA ALL THE TIME approach to interior decorating.

BY CROM!

Best loving Pizza in Austin.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Because if there's one thing we've seen stop men from enjoying multiple women through history it was marriage

glowing-fish posted:

"Yes, instead of getting to have a quiet natural area where I can exercise, I get to look at asphalt and eat McDonalds"--- an East Coaster who also probably thinks that Trump Steaks are a classy luxury item.

Maybe the lack of nature and prevalence of fast food has some type of downside?

If anything sister loving and god fearin' causes obesity

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 3, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Invictus posted:

Let's duel, you czar of bad taste. I threw it out there because there's a shitload of them around here, and all of them have garbage pizza. lovely sauce, crust that is paper-thin and I would only ever feed to my dog, cheese that is middling at best and toppings that even dominos does better. It's on par with little ceasars, but LC at least has possibly the cheapest prices for pizza anywhere. I have been conned into eating it more than I care to admit over my life because it's often where lazy people go to get pizzas for birthday parties, work events, etc, since it's everywhere and convenient. It is the saddest pizza.

Meanwhile, ten bucks gets you an 18" hot and ready pepperoni, cheese, or supreme pizza at costco, and it's always good. Never disappoints. Plus you can get some fantastic berry smoothies to go with it for a buck 25 each, and their new brisket sandwich is loving great if a bit expensive(for costco).

Come on man, there's a lot of poo poo pizza places out there, but comparing them to Little Ceasar's is just a crime.
Sad to say I can remember when LC was awesome, but that was the 80's. Now it's just bland cardboard pizza and raw dough crazy bread. You used to be the poo poo, LC. Now you're just poo poo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So the travel ban is not only going to come back, but become enshrined law. Time to Covok™

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ironic that the whole time Trump was his own leak.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one calling news teams all the time with inside info just so he could get attention

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

So the travel ban is not only going to come back, but become enshrined law. Time to Covok™

Are the previous rulings not a good suggestion of how things will go?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

business hammocks posted:

Are the previous rulings not a good suggestion of how things will go?

Only hope is probably Clarence Thomas being unable to vote for something so blatantly racist and unconstitutional.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

Ironic that the whole time Trump was his own leak.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one calling news teams all the time with inside info just so he could get attention

It's bannon, kushner, and trump. Seriously, it's all three of them and it's been incredibly obvious the whole time from trump syntax coming from "anonymous high ranking senior eh official"; Drudge Report super obviously reporting bad stuff leaked by kushner about bannon or as an attempt by kushner to influence trump; and breitbart doing the same thing for bannon.

They are the leakers.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

kefkafloyd posted:

By federal interstate funding law you're not allowed to have plazas on roads that were built as interstates unless they were tolled and grandfathered in.

As a non-American, can I ask why is that?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rigel posted:

NPR is out on a limb with the "maybe they'll have a special session" nonsense, no one else is predicting that, and Trump's lawyers didn't ask for it.

They asked the court to issue a quick ruling on the injunction hoping to have the travel ban back in place while they wait for the case to be argued, but then brief and argue the case in a normal timeframe, during the fall session. The supreme court is going to go into recess in July, so they basically said "ok, if you want us to look at the preliminary injunction before we leave for the summer, then you need to hurry up with the briefs."

They need 5 votes for the preliminary injunction. If they grant it, then that'll be very bad news and we'll know that soon enough. If they leave the ban in place till they hear the case, that won't necessarily mean anything one way or the other because the 5th vote could be genuinely undecided, and its better to leave the ban in place for now.

Yeah, this needs to be emphasized. This isn't some crazy forecasting. It's the court saying "ok, everyone give us some more detailed info so we can take an actual look at it."

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Dexo posted:

Only hope is probably Clarence Thomas being unable to vote for something so blatantly racist and unconstitutional.

Lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thomas did surprisingly vote against NC's racial gerrymandering a few weeks ago, so there might be an inkling of a soul in him.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pakled posted:

Thomas did surprisingly vote against NC's racial gerrymandering a few weeks ago, so there might be an inkling of a soul in him.

That wasn't a soul issue iirc, he just thinks you're unable to use race as a factor ever, including to make minority majority districts, and the NC GOP was dumb enough to state outright that was what they had done. If they bother to pretend, or stick to political gerrymandering, Thomas is just peachy.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Where are the moderate Christians condemning this???!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Quorum posted:

That wasn't a soul issue iirc, he just thinks you're unable to use race as a factor ever, including to make minority majority districts, and the NC GOP was dumb enough to state outright that was what they had done. If they bother to pretend, or stick to political gerrymandering, Thomas is just peachy.

Yep. Hence my hope he is gonna vote against this.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
what happens if comey drops dead before he testifies?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lube banjo posted:

what happens if comey drops dead before he testifies?

A thousand years of Trumpenreich darkness

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Quorum posted:

Islam isn't a race :smuggo:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tevery Best posted:

As a non-American, can I ask why is that?

Our constitution prohibits making things retroactively illegal and prohibits taking something away without compensating the owner. Courts have also ruled that newly prohibiting an owner from using their land in a particular way can be effectively taking something from them because their land is now less valuable and so requires compensation.

If the government decides to make no exceptions and tries to pay the land owners for the loss of value due to the new restrictions it often leads to massively complex legal battles as owners try to force the payout as high as possible. This is made worse by the fact that uses that governments generally don't like are often run by unsavory or aggressively litigious people. So instead most laws that add or change land use restrictions grandfather in the already in place legal uses.

In cases where the government wants the use gone but doesn't want to pay up right now like the road plazas, a strip club in a now residential area, or billboards along highways the government will often keep an eye on the property, buy it if it ever comes onto the market, apply the new restrictions (governments don't have to compensate themselves), and resell it.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 3, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lightning Lord posted:

I think you're going a little out on a limb with that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Let's duel, you czar of bad taste. I threw it out there because there's a shitload of them around here, and all of them have garbage pizza. lovely sauce, crust that is paper-thin and I would only ever feed to my dog, cheese that is middling at best and toppings that even dominos does better. It's on par with little ceasars, but LC at least has possibly the cheapest prices for pizza anywhere. I have been conned into eating it more than I care to admit over my life because it's often where lazy people go to get pizzas for birthday parties, work events, etc, since it's everywhere and convenient. It is the saddest pizza.

Meanwhile, ten bucks gets you an 18" hot and ready pepperoni, cheese, or supreme pizza at costco, and it's always good. Never disappoints. Plus you can get some fantastic berry smoothies to go with it for a buck 25 each, and their new brisket sandwich is loving great if a bit expensive(for costco).

The problem with this discussion is that Ginos is only a thing in NH, MA, and CT, so most people reading this won't know what we're talking about. You already saw two posters thinking it was just a cutesy name you were giving to Papa Johns (which is, actually, trash). But you do me a big favor by saying your favorite pizza is Costco. Now anyone reading can judge the relative merits of our taste by comparison to Costco.

Costco is CONVENIENT. If you're there because you need to buy 60 lbs of dog food and you want to bring a pizza home without making a separate stop? OK, go ahead. I won't judge. But Costco as a destination for Pizza is simply insane.

Papa Ginos is the greasiest pizza in the world, which also makes it the best pizza in the world. Yes it's thin. When did thin become bad? It flops and drips and makes the world a better place. While on the subject of New England franchises, D'angelos has the best cheese steak outside of Philly. (Note that I don't give an "outside of Manhattan" qualifier for Ginos since it is actually just the best). IIRC D'angelos and Ginos are the same company or at least are usually right next to each other in strip malls so I'm sure you've "been conned" into having excellent sandwiches as well.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/870992724937363456

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dexo posted:

I think its worth emphasizing that the rulings below which blocked Trump's travel ban were extraordinary. Its not really that obviously unconstitutional and it wouldn't be weird to see the court reverse.

If Obama had issued the travel ban shortly before leaving office, people would still complain, but the courts wouldn't even lift an eyebrow and would summarily dismiss any attempts to block it. The only reason why we are here is that Trump is a vile orange racist hate golem who loudly and proudly campaigned on a ban based solely on religion, and you can't do a ban based on religion.

This situation is so very weird because the courts have blocked Trump from doing what literally any other president would have been allowed to do, because he's Trump and we loving know why he's doing this. The courts really didn't want to be in this situation and want to defer to the president, but Trump was just too loud and dumb about it and the courts reluctantly agreed to this point that they can't close their eyes cover their ears and pretend he didn't shout his hateful racist motive.

If he loses this case, I guess the only way for him to do this travel ban would be to recant his prior stance, tell everyone he's seen the light, go on an I love muslims tour.... and then announce the travel ban again for national security reasons.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Hellblazer187 posted:

. Yes it's thin. When did thin become bad? It flops and drips and makes the world a better place..

Thin pizza is the reason New Haven is known not only for Yale, but also pizza.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

kinda want to see him tossed out of a plane at high altitude

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

By federal interstate funding law you're not allowed to have plazas on roads that were built as interstates unless they were tolled and grandfathered in. This is why you see plazas on all the east coast toll highways that predated the interstate system. There's plenty of no-commerce rest areas on various interstates in the northeast that are just bathrooms, vending machines, and a wifi hotspot.

There's a few non-tolled highways that still have service plazas (Route 128/I-95 in MA, the CT turnpike/I-95) and that's because they were grandfathered in.

Also a lot of truck stops aren't technically on the highway like a rest stop is. You get off at an exit, there's a couple truck stops that usually have a fast food restaurant + giant convenience store + a few chain restraunts (McDonalds, Bob Evans etc) up and down the main drag along with maybe a couple hotels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Shifty Pony posted:

Our constitution prohibits making things retroactively illegal and prohibits taking something away without compensating the owner. Courts have also ruled that newly prohibiting an owner from using their land in a particular way can be effectively taking something from them because their land is now less valuable and so requires compensation.

If the government decides to make no exceptions and tries to pay the land owners for the loss of value due to the new restrictions it often leads to massively complex legal battles as owners try to force the payout as high as possible. This is made worse by the fact that uses that governments generally don't like are often run by unsavory or aggressively litigious people. So instead most laws that add or change land use restrictions grandfather in the already in place legal uses.

In cases where the government wants the use gone but doesn't want to pay up right now like the road plazas, a strip club in a now residential area, or billboards along highways the government will often keep an eye on the property, buy it if it ever comes onto the market, apply the new restrictions (governments don't have to compensate themselves), and resell it.

This explains the grandfathering, but the reason why they don't want commercial plazas on interstates is because who gets to own and run those plazas (along with their pricing and other things) is super political. For a toll road, a plaza makes some kind of sense, because they tend to have limited interchanges and people don't want to get whacked for multiple tolls. The roads were not meant to be revenue extraction tools, they were meant to facilitate the free movement of people and goods.

That's also why interstates don't have tolls unless they were grandfathered in or are on things like bridges, because the funding of those roads was provided by taxes and that funding had conditions, like no tolls.

The effect of this is that the truck stops and rest areas all converged near the exits on the interstates. Of course, State highways can have service plazas because they're not Interstates, but most states are not interested in running service plazas and just leave the private sector to build truck stops or businesses at the exits themselves.

• Locked thread