Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone have favorites in the States of Siege series? I was thinking of picking up Soviet Dawn and the expansion to dip my toes into it; I feel like some more streamlined solo gaming than I've been doing lately.

Man this is a janky-rear end board

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I only played Levee en Masse because it came out on iOS. It was fine but wasn't great.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just got an email from GMT, 1960: The Making of the President is shipping now.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Does anyone have favorites in the States of Siege series? I was thinking of picking up Soviet Dawn and the expansion to dip my toes into it; I feel like some more streamlined solo gaming than I've been doing lately.

Man this is a janky-rear end board

I own Ottoman Sunset, Hapsburg Eclipse and the latest version of Dawn of the Zeds. The first two games are, like Tekopo said, fine but not amazing. If you want to have a quick solo game that can be unforgiving and at times a bit infuriating then they are wahr you are looking for.

Dawn of the zeds feels more like a game to me cause of the special characters you use and stuff like that. The others feel a bit more like experience generators.

Although I heard good things about Cruel Necessities.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is 1830 good for an intro into 18xx is is it the bad one I've found it cheap but...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played Dark Souls. Tedious game. What a miserable experience that was that is pretty much strictly inferior to Gloomhaven.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GrandpaPants posted:

Played Dark Souls. Tedious game. What a miserable experience that was that is pretty much strictly inferior to Gloomhaven.
How many players? There's a small stack of house rules that turn it into the game it's trying to be, but it really only works with exactly two players.

Edit: To wit: Start with 12 souls. Halve the starting number of sparks, and double all souls gained.

GrandpaPants posted:

We had 4 and there wasn't really a way to work around that. But we did play Dominant Species afterwards, and that game still owns.
Oh my god, you poor bastard. It's draggy with 3, I can only imagine how bad it was with 4.

Edit2: Another house rule I've been toying with is that when you buy something from the shop, you draw two, keep one and put one at the bottom of the deck. Helps get through all the chaff quicker, and also sometimes actually creates interesting decisions.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 3, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PMush Perfect posted:

How many players? There's a small stack of house rules that turn it into the game it's trying to be, but it really only works with exactly two players.

We had 4 and there wasn't really a way to work around that. But we did play Dominant Species afterwards, and that game still owns.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Rumda posted:

Is 1830 good for an intro into 18xx is is it the bad one I've found it cheap but...
1830 is probably the best intro along with the 1846 depending on what experience you want.

I'm at the expo btw and I got a couple of light games with me. Try to find the guy with the green/white chequered shirt near the entrance of the open gaming area in the main hall at 2 pm, near where the gaming library is.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's a soviet dawn expansion?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lord Frisk posted:

There's a soviet dawn expansion?

https://www.victorypointgames.com/soviet-dawn-exp-kit-687.html

It looks like all the States of Siege games have one of these, adding a few extra cards and some variant rules.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Woooo nTTA just arrived. Time to put the BBQ on and play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want to play more TTA but I'm already worrying about wear before getting sleeves. Also which other game to add to the box to fill up space. The sad part is that only mayday makes those sleeves.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

https://www.victorypointgames.com/soviet-dawn-exp-kit-687.html

It looks like all the States of Siege games have one of these, adding a few extra cards and some variant rules.

I've gotta wonder how well this would mash into the c3i version. I feel like it might already be in there? The rules sound familiar.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

LLSix posted:

Thanks!

We're going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon once we're done at the botanical gardens.

This is off-topic, but make sure you visit City Museum! It's the best thing to do in St. Louis, nothing else even comes close.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit2: Another house rule I've been toying with is that when you buy something from the shop, you draw two, keep one and put one at the bottom of the deck. Helps get through all the chaff quicker, and also sometimes actually creates interesting decisions.

Thats interesting. Every game I've played we end up going through about 2/3 of the treasure deck. So I am wondering where a good middle ground is between getting random stuff to make a build. and just treating the cards like a shop. with pick 2 you would go through the whole deck by the end of the game. So you can get the same build every time if you like. Then again boss loot and random epic weapons can change that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just got the Terra Mystica app, and I can only assume these 8 systems end up feeling somewhat connected and intuitive eventually, right?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Tai posted:

Woooo nTTA just arrived. Time to put the BBQ on and play.

Don't put it on the BBQ!!!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huxley posted:

Just got the Terra Mystica app, and I can only assume these 8 systems end up feeling somewhat connected and intuitive eventually, right?

Yes, although it depends highly on your race. Some completely ignore mechanisms.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have so many games sitting unplayed because I keep playing nTTA.... :(

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Banana Man posted:

Don't put it on the BBQ!!!!

It'd add a tight time limit to the game, even more so than speed chess.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
That goddamn red fedora.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Any opinions on the Conan board game? I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and buying it. My only concern is that a few reviews have mentioned that Conan is stronger than the other heroes, which seems a bit crappy.

Or should I get Gloomhaven instead for my sword and sorcery needs?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Dungeon Pets is the more fun and friendly game than Dungeon Lords isn't it? Thinking of getting it but Expo fatigue may be sinking in for my group.

Played the new Vlada game. It's super party game, which may disappoint some, but the kind of thing i could imagine popping out at a friendly BBQ or something, led to some fun chat among friends.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blisster posted:

Any opinions on the Conan board game? I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and buying it. My only concern is that a few reviews have mentioned that Conan is stronger than the other heroes, which seems a bit crappy.

Or should I get Gloomhaven instead for my sword and sorcery needs?

Dunno about Conan, but there is no better dungeon crawl than gloomhaven.

It has fired an entire genre of board games.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So much love for Gloomhaven. I wonder what "widely available in November" means. So the problem with wider distribution is that publishers don't like the slim return on investment, right? It sounds like a price hike in November would be perfectly fair.

Maybe if they cut some of the stuff, making a sort of "Gloomhaven: Essentials," sold alongside an expansion consisting of the remaining bits of the KS version of the game plus some other optional bits for anyone who's got the full KS edition. Hell, if they bring it down to $60 I might actually be able to afford it someday, though from the sounds of it they'd have to maim the hell out of it to get it down that far.

No idea what to cut because I avoid Gloomhaven info, but there's got to be SOMETHING not strictly necessary in that giant rear end box.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 3, 2017

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

That goddamn red fedora.

Did you run into Tom Vassel at UKGE or something?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It goes perfect with the literal neckbeard. Perfect as in matches. Not perfect as in good.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

lummawks posted:

Did you run into Tom Vassel at UKGE or something?

I didn't run into him as much as notice and roll my eyes. Which probably makes me judgemental, but it was a really reeeeally bright red!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I've managed to avoid him so far but I ran into Sam and Zee while getting food last night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Zee is really friendly and chill. Sam is a dick.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm hankering for a new game and have no idea whats been coming out lately and what's worth picking up.

I like games that are easy to pick up and teach new people, don't take ages to play and don't completely break the bank. Currently me and my friends have been playing: Love Letter, Coup, 7 Wonders, Codenames, and Sushi go! So something that's similar to them would be nice.

Thanks to any Goons for your hot takes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Saalkin posted:

I'm hankering for a new game and have no idea whats been coming out lately and what's worth picking up.

I like games that are easy to pick up and teach new people, don't take ages to play and don't completely break the bank. Currently me and my friends have been playing: Love Letter, Coup, 7 Wonders, Codenames, and Sushi go! So something that's similar to them would be nice.

Thanks to any Goons for your hot takes.

Mint Works sounds perfect for your tastes. It's a really good micro worker placement game where you build a neighborhood in a town. Similar weight to the games you listed while offering a completely different experience than any of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Works-Minty-Worker-Placement/dp/B06WLNYPRJ

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played Kitchen Rush at the expo and it was good! Really liked it. However, the star of the show was Codenames Duet: it's really really good. Basically you get double sided clue cards. It's a fully coop game where you have to guess 15 agents in total. Each side has 9 agents and 3 assassins. Three agents are shared by both sides of the clue card, one assassin is an assassin on both sides, one is an agent on the other side and the the last is a bystander on the other side. You have a set number of turns that you have to guess all the agents. The game I played went down to the wire!

Also played codenames words and pictures, space team and potato man with fellow goons :)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

What are the differences between the original Agricola and the new Agricola Expert edition?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Has anyone played the Dresden Files Card Game?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
no but its by plaid hat so it Will Be Bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Impermanent posted:

no but its by plaid hat so it Will Be Bad.

What? No, it's Evil Hat Productions. This one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/the-dresden-files-cooperative-card-game

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone played the Dresden Files Card Game?

It's a mechanically sound, well-balanced puzzle game, but apart from the card art there is no theme to it at all. My friends and I never really felt like we were Dresden and his Pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

oh dang, thanks for clarifying. might check it out then