Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Vagabundo posted:

If the Lions play like this against the All Blacks, they're going to get murdered.

It's a good thing they didn't have to play Cotter's Barbarians and only got to look shite against a provincial side.

I mean, even if they lose to the SR sides, they can possibly look worse. Gutted for Hogg, he's probably hosed himself out of a test spot today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Plucky Brit posted:

Might be better to have a coach who has actually beaten NZ.

I dunno, it's possible that Gatland can coach a side that can beat New Zealand even if he hasn't done that with Wales. Not Howley though.

Vaders Jester posted:

Gutted for Hogg, he's probably hosed himself out of a test spot today.

Plenty of time for him to bounce back, he's a superb player.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

A bit of an overreaction that.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

A bit of an overreaction that.

If Halfpenny and Williams have good games, Gatland will go to his lads. He's more than good enough, it's whether or not Gatland will give him a shot at redeeming himself later in the tour.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

He had a better game than Sexton.
Plus, Gatland won't have as much fun dropping Hogg as he will dropping Ireland's anointed one.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

DickEmery posted:

He had a better game than Sexton.
Plus, Gatland won't have as much fun dropping Hogg as he will dropping Ireland's anointed one.

Enter The Biggar!

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Beauden + TJ = aw yeah

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

bessantj posted:

Oh god yes, a successful Lions coach is the last thing the Lions need. Probably do without Rob Howley though.

What has Gatland done in the last 4 years?

Two wins against South Africa (the last against the South Africa that lost to Japan FFS). That's pretty much it.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Oh Milner-Skudder how I've missed you

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

What has Gatland done in the last 4 years?

Two wins against South Africa (the last against the South Africa that lost to Japan FFS). That's pretty much it.

And brought Wales through a very tough pool in the last world cup, won a six nations and put in credible performances in others. For a nation with the resources of Wales that's very good. He's done well for the Lions and for Wales he's a good coach.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Don't think you can put too much stock in the performance today, after all they have been together for less than a week and that sort of rustiness is to be expected. That being said, if we don't start seeing sparks soon then it could be a very long tour.

It's early days but unless Sexton kicks on big time we'll see Farrell at 10 in the tests rather than 12. That opens things up for Henshaw and Teo in the centres so it'll be interesting to see how Gatland manages things in the lead up to the first test.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

There's always an unexpected guy who plays great on the lions tour and makes the test team. I think it might be Moriarty.

It's funny that you could have a test team with Farrell, Te'o, Daly and George all starting at positions they don't start for England.

This schedule just looks brutal. It's ridiculous the tour is so close to the domestic finals. Think you'll need to have 9-10 of your eventual test team playing against Canterbury on Sunday, and then you only have one more Saturday game before the tests. I think jet lag does play a huge part in why yesterday's game was so terrible, but it's concerning we didn't have the power and fitness to pull away. at the end.

OTOH Sinckler, Moriarty, Faletau, Te'o looked ok

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Ken Owens to sing the Blues
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40156259

Halfpenny
Nowell
Payne
Henshaw
Daly
Biggar
Webb

McGrath
Owens (captain)
Cole
Itoje
Lawes
Haskell
Tipuric
Stander

Replacements: Best, Marler, Sinckler, Henderson, O'Mahony, Laidlaw, Sexton, L Williams

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blues to play the Lions

1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. James Parsons (C)
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
5. Scott Scrafton
6. Akira Ioane
7. Blake GIbson
8. Steven Luatua
9. Augustine Pulu
10. Stephen Perofeta
12. Sonny Bill Williams/TJ Faiane
13. George Moala
14. Rieko Ioane
14. Matt Duffie
15. Michael Collins

16. Hame Faiva
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Sione Mafileo
19. Patrick Tuipulotu
20. Kara Pryor
21. Sam Nock
22. Ihaia West
23. TJ Faiane/Melani Nanai

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Blues will win.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I am not excited about that Lions backline

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm unironically betting against the Lions.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Same, don't think they'll have their poo poo together just yet. Back line made for Gatlandball though so maybe they'll squeeze out a result.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Nowell is surprisingly good, thought he was excellent in the Prem semi and finals. Halfpenny offers nothing in attack (though probably more than Hogg did on Saturday) but his kicking is great and Daly had a good 6N though combined I don't think they set the world on fire. Backrow and locks look good though, might be able to complete well at the breakdown.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 5, 2017

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

There are rumours that Halfpenny might get released by Toulon because Boudjellal is a petulant man-child and angry that Halfpenny wasn't at the final.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I loved that shot of Boudjellal eating from the players' snack table during the Top14 final.

So glad Toulon didn't win.

Also, the Lions are doomed.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
That's the best second and back row setup available surely?

Lions still going to get a lesson :(

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The Blues do have a habit of losing the ball forward so it may not be as close as people think.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

That's the best second and back row setup available surely?

Lions still going to get a lesson :(

Haskell is not the best available 6, Warbuton will get picked over Tipric, and Kruis might be our best lock.

I am excited despite myself

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

The Blues do have a habit of losing the ball forward so it may not be as close as people think.

It's the philosophies of exciting, ball-in-hand rugby up against "I dunno, I guess we just kick it?"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Are all the provincial sides going to do a Haka as well?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Akira Ioane is a scary mofo

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Sonny Bill Williams gets two turnovers in the first 5 minutes

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Welp, they got Super Rugby'd

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Welp.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Nowell's been caught out like that twice now.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Nowell's been caught out like that twice now.

Lions are playing Andy Farrell's blitz defence. Worked for Ireland but the England boys don't know it yet

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

Lions are playing Andy Farrell's blitz defence. Worked for Ireland but the England boys don't know it yet

Yeah, he's coming in off his wing a lot too, leaving a lot of space for Ioane down the side.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah, he's coming in off his wing a lot too, leaving a lot of space for Ioane down the side.

I think he's supposed to do that but he's just loving up the timing.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That was not the best little run of referring.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Did Biggar die off-camera?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

Did Biggar die off-camera?

Concussion test.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

This game is nuts, now. Just skip half time and let them carry on playing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Biggar's failed the concussion test. And it looks like Nowell's knocked it back for SBW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Not subjective at all Barnes, Nowell clearly knocked that back with both hands.