Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zogo posted:

You may have noticed back in November there was a gigantic meltdown occurring in parts of the country over what Trump AKA Hitler was going to do once in office. Barely any of it has happened. Scalia was replaced by some other guy.

The Clinton's are members at his country clubs, he's donated $$$ to Hillary etc. The idea that Trump was going to throw Clinton in jail was very distorted. The fact that millions of people bought into it is embarrassing.

Trump is a movie actor. Look at his actions rather than his words and tweets. He's not mentally ill. He's a narcissist like many, many other politicians and people on TV/film.

why double down on being an idiot when i make fun of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

"Barely any of it has happened". You have a very tenuous grasp of reality, friend.

Your defense by dismissal is so far off the mark that it may as well be the same as one of his zealots spewing that everything is fake news.

What seismic changes have happened?

Keyser_Soze posted:

there is no loving way a boring President Rubio brings in all these Legion of Doom cabinet members.

It's almost as if Trump made the goofiest/obnoxious picks just to rankle and irritate people. It fits in with his cause célèbre style perfectly.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Though, he is doing his best to keep the US out of every beneficial world policy, purposefully harming any footing the country holds both militarily and with allies, appointed radical candidates to positions with incredibly authority who have either no experience or were considered so abhorrent they couldn't hold a lesser position in a more comfortable area for them, is widening the gap between educated and uneducated people, still does want to implement measures allowing him to round up certain groups, etc etc etc etc etc.

He's made HUGE weapons deals with Saudi Arabia and other allies in recent months. Based upon the polling I've seen most of the entire world is frightened of the US militarily no matter who's in charge. Obama taking over from Bush didn't change that fact.

I am sure that Trump's election victory will have shielded a lot of the country from many disappointments that a Clinton victory would've brought forth.

Groovelord Neato posted:

why double down on being an idiot when i make fun of you.

Because you're not saying anything compelling or explaining your viewpoint.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...common nose-picking shithead who will never have a case make it to the Supreme Court, but just *might* end up in their local federal district court one day.

Roe v. Wade is being overturned any day now. MAGA.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zogo posted:

It's almost as if Trump made the goofiest/obnoxious picks just to rankle and irritate people. It fits in with his cause célèbre style perfectly.

lol come on man.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol come on man.

Well, they're also all extremely wealthy which is a prerequisite. I wouldn't put it past him to select people based upon how much ostentatious press it'd get. His psychological profile dictates that need. Tweeting and attention are right below food and shelter in his pyramid of needs. That's why he wakes up at 4AM to read tweets everyday.

Don't believe the lies or the narrow dogmatic view that he should be in a mental hospital. Donald Trump is not an insane rabid psychopath on the loose. He recently was allowed to visit the Pope.

Tons of Trump's voters are currently undergoing major buyer's remorse. That should be a clue that he's just another agent of status quo. Sure he's got tons of carnival barker personality but not much in the form of content. He's not building the wall. He's not deporting tens of millions of illegals. Search your feelings, you know this to be true!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zogo posted:

He's not deporting tens of millions of illegals.

As someone with an opinion that is antagonistic to unchecked immigration, Obama did a whole lot more than Trump has to reduce the number of undocumented immigrants. He did it by treating companies that employ them as complicit honeypots trying to hire easily exploited labor. He did a lot of good things that probably would have faced opposition if he was a white Republican and not the first not-white-male President in national history. Sort of a "only Nixon could go to China" moment there.

Clinton, honestly, looked like she was rolling back to the policies of the 20 years before Obama. Somewhere between Dubya's naïve "these poor corporations don't know they're hiring illegal labor" position and this quiet craven desire to make millions of undocumented immigrants into new citizens in hopes they vote solidly left of center for the next century.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Zogo posted:

He's made HUGE weapons deals with Saudi Arabia and other allies in recent months. Based upon the polling I've seen most of the entire world is frightened of the US militarily no matter who's in charge. Obama taking over from Bush didn't change that fact

What does this have to do with anything? He sold weapons to Saudi Arabia. That should be on the list of negatives. It also doesn't help us with allies or enemies.

Giving sub locations, fleet movements, and code word information given to us by an ally to foreign powers who either helped this administration commit treason (they did) or did it without the help of this administration, as well as other dictators is what I'm talking about. That hurts us.

You know what? Listing it is pointless. You know about what has happened and what is happening, but you seem set on denying the reality of it all.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'd just like to point out that the Saudi weapons deal was initiated and mostly negotiated by the Obama administration, Trump basically just OK'ed it. Clinton would have done the same thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zogo posted:

Well, they're also all extremely wealthy which is a prerequisite. I wouldn't put it past him to select people based upon how much ostentatious press it'd get. His psychological profile dictates that need. Tweeting and attention are right below food and shelter in his pyramid of needs. That's why he wakes up at 4AM to read tweets everyday.

Don't believe the lies or the narrow dogmatic view that he should be in a mental hospital. Donald Trump is not an insane rabid psychopath on the loose. He recently was allowed to visit the Pope.

Tons of Trump's voters are currently undergoing major buyer's remorse. That should be a clue that he's just another agent of status quo. Sure he's got tons of carnival barker personality but not much in the form of content. He's not building the wall. He's not deporting tens of millions of illegals. Search your feelings, you know this to be true!

trump is a loving moron you moron.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vodos posted:

I'd just like to point out that the Saudi weapons deal was initiated and mostly negotiated by the Obama administration, Trump basically just OK'ed it. Clinton would have done the same thing.

Hell im pretty sure even Bernie would have done it. When he would have won.

If y'all haven't seen Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis you should. I think it's up on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/NwauixDzJLA

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it usually takes a little while for bad policy to bear fruit

dude's only been in office four months, you gotta give it some time before catastrophe strikes because various departments were gutted

but if you need to point to an immediate bad thing the other week the administration told hurricane matthew victims in a state that voted for him to go gently caress themselves

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

What does this have to do with anything? He sold weapons to Saudi Arabia. That should be on the list of negatives. It also doesn't help us with allies or enemies.

You said he was "harming any footing the country holds both militarily and with allies." He just made a big deal with Saudi Arabia an ally in the region.

More broadly, our footing in the world is fine. The entire world is frightened of the US regardless of an R or D being in power.

One of the peculiar things that's developed over the last seven months is the booming stock market. I recall tons of press saying if Trump was elected the stock market would explode (in a bad way) because he was unpredictable. Exactly the opposite has happened.

Super Deuce posted:

You know what? Listing it is pointless. You know about what has happened and what is happening, but you seem set on denying the reality of it all.

I'm willing to concede a great many things with the appropriate evidence. I wasn't sure what you were referring to exactly.

Craptacular! posted:

As someone with an opinion that is antagonistic to unchecked immigration, Obama did a whole lot more than Trump has to reduce the number of undocumented immigrants. He did it by treating companies that employ them as complicit honeypots trying to hire easily exploited labor.

Yea, Matt Taibbi made that point last year as a panelist and Bill shut him down about as quick as I can recall anyone on the show ever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gently caress Saudi Arabia IMO

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

That hurts us.

How?

Super Deuce posted:

He didn't end the world in 6 months, so that means it's not really that bad!

That was the real party line being repeated for months over and over. The bigger issue with that is the major lying from HRC and the DNC threatening that nuclear war imminent if DJT was elected. It was a very desperate move to tie nuclear launches to tweets.

It's an underappreciated fact that Trump could be anonymously posting on forums right now defending himself like Quasimodo. It doesn't mean posts are analogous with the thousands of nukes we have.

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump is a loving moron you moron.

Name calling isn't going to get you anywhere. Name calling isn't going to get Trump out of office in 2020 either.

Trump has used the media like a fiddle over and over to obfuscate his real self. Questioning Obama's birth certificate repeatedly was a intellectually bankrupt but effective way of putting himself on the national stage to set up a run. He pitted himself up against a candidate who he didn't have to face. It's not about me. It's about how HRC is friends with DJT and that we live in an oligarchy. These are things you may not have been ready to hear and I'm sorry about that.

I've heard some disillusioned Trumpites recently say stuff to the effect of "Well, at least Hillary won't be president." They've been misled too.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zogo posted:

How?

That was the real party line being repeated for months over and over. The bigger issue with that is the major lying from HRC and the DNC threatening that nuclear war imminent if DJT was elected. It was a very desperate move to tie nuclear launches to tweets.

Did you forget that candidate Trump threatened to blow up boat that "insulted" ours? What about how he asked why we have nukes if we don't use them? Your head is buried in the sand.

quote:

Name calling isn't going to get you anywhere. Name calling isn't going to get Trump out of office in 2020 either.

Trump has used the media like a fiddle over and over to obfuscate his real self. Questioning Obama's birth certificate repeatedly was a intellectually bankrupt but effective way of putting himself on the national stage to set up a run. He pitted himself up against a candidate who he didn't have to face. It's not about me. It's about how HRC is friends with DJT and that we live in an oligarchy. These are things you may not have been ready to hear and I'm sorry about that.

I've heard some disillusioned Trumpites recently say stuff to the effect of "Well, at least Hillary won't be president." They've been misled too.
Stop defending this man. Especially so ignorantly.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Matt Zerella posted:

gently caress Saudi Arabia IMO

I had planned to empty quote this, but I can address some things in this thread (Zogo) since I had a gay ol time drunk typing.

Zogo is clearly not a total imbecile, and likely fishing for lines by playing devils advocate.

That's what you're doing right?

I'm in the "Trump is literally Hitler" camp. Or wishes he was likely, at least someone as ideologically as driven.
Like his buddy Bannon!

Also, Mexicans are Native Americans that were raped by the Spanish and forced into the encomienda system.
A most sincere gently caress you, to anyone who disagrees about that. Anything I feel about immigration takes aboriginal inhabitants into account.

Now that I've laid that out. I wanted to very very casually point out that ocean acidification is bad, very bad and caused undeniably by rising co2 levels. Even the new french president agrees with Maher that there is no loving planet B.

The ocean is cleaned by networks of living organisms that are so complex and delicate that they are currently impossible to simulate, and hard to even imagine. It is a giant heat sink, and produces most of the oxygen we breathe.

We are trading everything in it, rather slowly (catastrophically quickly on a geological time scale), with squid and jellyfish.

"Cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

gently caress the melting glaciers, or the giant deposits of methane hydrate that are locked at the bottom of the ocean (and in permafrost!), anybody who's seen a fish tank go bad can know why massive die offs in the ocean are bad.

God, no matter how you imagine an infinite entity suitable of the definition, is not checking the protein skimmer, or adjusting the pH. There is no argument against global climate changing being bad, just that stupid idea that it's not caused by human activity.

I said the money for a manned space program is better spent teaching people in democracies (mostly our own), critical thinking skills until the system works a bit better. But hell, in a perfect world cities on the moon or bottom of the ocean or wherever are just great. Lets never speak of this topic again, please.

To continue, there is actually some discussion I have seen here and elsewhere in the news about Trump having his finger on the button.

If he presses it, we all die. Including him and anybody else he gives a poo poo about. Like his daughterwife.
Nobody important is really afraid of him nuking anything. He hasn't done anything but posture at North Korea for go\s sake. If he wont risk Seoul, I think we're a little safer than people being scared of the MAD doctrine.

Yes, the stock market has been going up slowly, because Trump can be as nutty as he wants, but if you read the stock thread here on SA, you will find that slashing corporate tax rates creates a willingness for people to invest in the market, since most often that money is turned over to shareholders, MOSTLY.

Eat the Rich, and so on. Thank you for reading. I agree with most everything else in the thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why are you people engaging that guy?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Meh, anything else I heard that I didn't like, seemed built on a false premise that I didn't feel needed badly to become common knowledge.

It felt good.
:fap:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Solvent posted:

Meh, anything else I heard that I didn't like, seemed built on a false premise that I didn't feel needed badly to become common knowledge.

It felt good.
:fap:

Also gently caress the Saudis forever and ever amen.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh good bill's slobbing on ben sasse's knob because he thinks that theocratic weirdo is somehow one of the good ones

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Did Bill actually say the n-word just then?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
indeed he did and man this guy is like every d&d strawman conjurer rolled into one

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So picked the right time to delete the show from Sonarr?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's really drat bad but I'm shocked Bill hasn't said the n-word on his show before this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's really drat bad but I'm shocked Bill hasn't said the n-word on his show before this.

There's a new episode? Thank satan you guys can stop feeding that troll.

Also it's more a wonder Bill hasn't said "sand-n-word" on camera yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The best part of that exchange where Bill said that is that it was during a discussion with a republican on how millennials suck.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The funniest thing is the libs on social media saying it wasn't racist because "he was saying that he was one."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Lol that this is even controversial. This is hardly the worst thing Bill has said when it comes to race.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bill maher is everything wrong with libs.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
What the gently caress are you all freaking out about? For one, stop saying "n-word". It's dumb. Second, the dude told a joke.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen people freak out about in this show's threads.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

SeANMcBAY posted:

He actually has.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Of all the ways to make this worthless puff interview for Sasse worse, Maher definitely managed to pull it off beyond what probably anybody would've guessed going into it---the visual recoil alone demonstrated the flaming wreck in progress. I can't even think of the last time on Real Time where an actual utility could be had for a Slo-Mo Replay after the fact...

Rest of the episode and OT never really recovered, the lady in the middle seems to be another now permanent fixture in the show of Hillary Actually folks alongside the likes of Sasse* and actual overt Trump folks.

I mean, if Maher is so incensed about Trump and such making furious gains over the years maybe....just maybe...he'd have done well to not time and again give these folks an amenable platform on the whole on account of some tangential vectors where Maher is flat out on the same page as them----doubly without Maher realizing that should be something of a canary in the old coal mine?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Super Deuce posted:

What the gently caress are you all freaking out about? For one, stop saying "n-word". It's dumb. Second, the dude told a joke.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen people freak out about in this show's threads.

Its not the word itself, the context also sucked. I've seen him do stand up, he used the word, and in the context of his act it made a lot of sense, but this time it was just loving stupid.

I'll stop saying "n-word" when people stop saying or calling me what it stands for. Its easy to act like some anti-PC macho badass troll, but feel free to use it willy nilly in public as a joke and see what happens. I'm sure telling people to get over it will go over well.

He wasn't talking to a black friend, but to some white republican on his talk show. He wouldn't have said it in front of Killer Mike, Cornell West, or Neil Degrasse Tyson. Think about how they would have reacted.

Maher even once said freedom of speech doesn't mean going around saying any stupid poo poo. "House negro" would have been perfectly fine.

He's just getting more desperate, and as I've said before, acting more and more like a coked up rear end in a top hat who yells at people when they don't laugh at his jokes while passing it off as being too touchy.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Gimmedaroot posted:

Its not the word itself, the context also sucked. I've seen him do stand up, he used the word, and in the context of his act it made a lot of sense, but this time it was just loving stupid.

I'll stop saying "n-word" when people stop saying or calling me what it stands for. Its easy to act like some anti-PC macho badass troll, but feel free to use it willy nilly in public as a joke and see what happens. I'm sure telling people to get over it will go over well.

He wasn't talking to a black friend, but to some white republican on his talk show. He wouldn't have said it in front of Killer Mike, Cornell West, or Neil Degrasse Tyson. Think about how they would have reacted.

Maher even once said freedom of speech doesn't mean going around saying any stupid poo poo. "House negro" would have been perfectly fine.

He's just getting more desperate, and as I've said before, acting more and more like a coked up rear end in a top hat who yells at people when they don't laugh at his jokes while passing it off as being too touchy.

The context was a joke. It was clearly a joke. No intelligent person can see it as anything more than a joke.

Nobody is calling you "n-word". It's not better to say "n-word" than friend of the family. It is dumber, however, because you're afraid of the word as well as the connotation. It's not a macho troll or whatever else you want to call it. In fact, you calling what I said a troll is telling that language is something very easily misunderstood. By the way, I do say friend of the family aloud whenever I feel it appropriate. That is when it's the context of a conversation or a joke similar to the one Bill made. Something that isn't offensive at all.

There is nothing off limits in comedy. To insinuate that you can only say something about black people to a black person, including a joke, is asinine. I'm sorry, that's more racist than the joke. White people can joke about whatever they want with whomever they want. Also, Bill does make similar jokes with those people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Super Deuce posted:

There is nothing off limits in comedy

you are incredibly dumb.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are incredibly dumb.

So is nearly every successful comedian, then. You know, the people making the jokes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Let me, a white person, explain to black people when and when not to feel upset about someone saying a racial slur. The poor dears probably just don't understand the subtle nuances of white comedy."

If you're white, it's none of your goddamn business. You can hold the opinion that it was wrong for Bill to say that, you can hold the opinion that it was okay, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Each black person, individually, gets to make the choice as to how unacceptable they feel it was. Some black people think it was okay, a lot think it wasn't, and it ain't white people's place to tell either group they're wrong.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nothing off limits in comedy is fine. The part to emphasize is that it's supposed to be funny to begin with.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

PT6A posted:

"Let me, a white person, explain to black people when and when not to feel upset about someone saying a racial slur. The poor dears probably just don't understand the subtle nuances of white comedy."

If you're white, it's none of your goddamn business. You can hold the opinion that it was wrong for Bill to say that, you can hold the opinion that it was okay, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Each black person, individually, gets to make the choice as to how unacceptable they feel it was. Some black people think it was okay, a lot think it wasn't, and it ain't white people's place to tell either group they're wrong.

It is my business as much as anyone else's. Thinking it's not is what is actually racist.

Also am I white? Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not because some people consider any Jewish person to not be white. Guess what, Jewish jokes, holocaust jokes, and nose jokes are still jokes even if they say kike.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Super Deuce posted:

It is my business as much as anyone else's. Thinking it's not is what is actually racist.

Also am I white? Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not because some people consider any Jewish person to not be white. Guess what, Jewish jokes, holocaust jokes, and nose jokes are still jokes even if they say kike.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/870849232898543617