Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spellman posted:

There's a trend in TV where really good shows limit the amount of music just to scenes that make those songs impactful to the scenes. Gendy Tartakovsky brought this up when he was talking about Samurai Jack, and Vince Gilligan as well for Breaking Bad. Because a show gets smothered with too many memorable tunes and it becomes more about the soundtrack than about the message the show is trying to communicate. A more clearly delivered message makes for a more entertaining and memorable show by most counts.

I've looked into both of those soundtracks quite a bit cause they are awesome, and know the points that you're bringing up. It certainly works for those shows. I can't say that I agree that it works the same for games.

For your point about the overworld, it might come down to personal preference in games/OSts here. But in general, yeah I usually like a strong theme when I go out into some area to "do work". Termina Field, the Great Sea, or OoT's hyrule field all give a sense of heroism and grandeur that fills up a drive to explore and fight evil and etc. To say that those feelings aren't always matched by every minute-to-minute gameplay time is a bit silly; to compare, Botw's overworld themes are mostly empty and calm but that isn't certainly the feeling I and several others have when exploring at all times.

About music in games that are long, again maybe it's just down to personal experience? For example, some very lengthy RPGs already have a play time comparable or sometimes longer than Botw. And usually I don't grow that tired of the soundtracks. Not a recent example, but a personal favorite of mine is Xenoblade chronicles where I could listen to that soundtrack for 150 hours+ and still love it and exploring that world. There are some exceptions, and it could be different to you, but I wouldn't mind a strong/good soundtrack for a long game myself.

Spergatory posted:

If you think the synths are the lead instruments on any of those tracks, then you just have bad ears and can't identify which part of a song is the melody.

I think you're confusing me using the term lead to the main melody, which is definitely not what I meant.

In atmospheric sections of the songs that intentionally space out the other stronger instrument lines, the idea of a "lead" is gonna shift around to whatever is left playing at the time, sometimes down to maybe just a percussion line. This can make the idea of picking out the lead arguable depending on the listener. So...yeah?

This is why I said we shouldn't argue about splitting hairs. If you want to be a jerk about it, w/e but it should be obvious that sometimes in music a lead isn't always obvious when it's several subdued instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Lakbay posted:

I'm not a perfect dodge/guard master so that might be more irritating than interesting. I used the cold/heat/flame resistance gear alot my first playthrough so maybe I'll ban those and actually bother to make elixirs this time around.

Learning perfect dodge/parry timings sounds more intimidating than it really is. Most attacks in this game have very considerable wind up with very large windows for the dodge/parry. It might take a short while to get into it, but it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up. The only parts that might be troubling are some boss attacks (thunderblight), parrying guardian lasers, and some Lynel attacks, but for everything else it's pretty generous.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Finally did the Korok stealth quest in the Lost Woods. Looks like it now plays a cutscene to complete the quest so you don't just walk past him and fail?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

JawnV6 posted:

"Plus" nothing, it's not contingent on memories at all.

wasn't sure, i already finished the memories before finding the last kakariko quest that triggered the shrine quest

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
is the golden bow the best bow for distance shooting? It's fine, but if there are other bows with either equal range + upped damage (mine has 14) or better range and equal-or-less damage I'd be interested.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GobiasIndustries posted:

is the golden bow the best bow for distance shooting? It's fine, but if there are other bows with either equal range + upped damage (mine has 14) or better range and equal-or-less damage I'd be interested.

Zelda's Twilight bow is the best at 8,000. Several other bows will go to 40, which is the max for standard bows.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
The Ancient Bow is probably the most insane bow you can get that's not the Twilight Bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lENLIwGAEMI&t=415s

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ProjektorBoy posted:

The Ancient Bow is probably the most insane bow you can get that's not the Twilight Bow

As somebody who absolutely cannot accept the weapon durability system because I'm a giant baby :qq:, the Ancient Set is 100% the best way to get around it because it makes all of the relevant gear RIDICULOUSLY powerful. Stronger gear = less hits = less break, yes? :pseudo:

Without any sort of attack boosts, Upgraded Ancient Set + Ancient Bow + Ancient Arrows will kill the GBlights inside the divine beasts (is this still a spoiler?) in 3 hits, with steroids you will bring that down to each shot dealing over 50% damage and thus killing them in 2 shots.

Every blood moon means you can revisit the Major Trials of Strength for a triple set of Guardian++ weapons, which already make them into the second best weapons in the game, trailing behind the respective Ancient alternatives which absolutely break the game. This is FREE and you get a massive restock every time it happens, so you no longer have to care about chasing whatever garbage you find around the map/off of mobs. You can outright teleport to these, even. It's as convenient as it will EVER get.

The only cost is farming live Guardians around hyrule castle for about 4 hours for enough cores to get enough for upgrades. :v: Time to invest into a Guardian Amiibo :shepspends:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Emalde posted:

Every blood moon means you can revisit the Major Trials of Strength for a triple set of Guardian++ weapons, which already make them into the second best weapons in the game, trailing behind the respective Ancient alternatives which absolutely break the game. This is FREE and you get a massive restock every time it happens, so you no longer have to care about chasing whatever garbage you find around the map/off of mobs. You can outright teleport to these, even. It's as convenient as it will EVER get.

The only cost is farming live Guardians around hyrule castle for about 4 hours for enough cores to get enough for upgrades. :v: Time to invest into a Guardian Amiibo :shepspends:

I did not know this about the trials of strength. Cool!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Zelda's Twilight bow is the best at 8,000. Several other bows will go to 40, which is the max for standard bows.

Is there a way to get this normally or is it locked behind an amiibo?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

s.i.r.e. posted:

8000 range? And the golden bow is only 40?
:stare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Give me a 5x Savage Lynel Bow any day, at least for larger enemies where you can get all 5 arrows to hit. I like to keep a couple of long-range bows for fun and the occasional Korok challenge, but then I usually am the type to just stroll up and start whacking away at point-blank range; I tend to be more aggressive with a sword and more conservative with arrows.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Give me a 5x Savage Lynel Bow any day, at least for larger enemies where you can get all 5 arrows to hit. I like to keep a couple of long-range bows for fun and the occasional Korok challenge, but then I usually am the type to just stroll up and start whacking away at point-blank range; I tend to be more aggressive with a sword and more conservative with arrows.

Yeah I normally use a 3 or 5x lynel bow but for distance stuff I was curious if there was anything better. Apparently ancient bows are pretty rad, might have to forge one once my current golden bow breaks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to get this normally or is it locked behind an amiibo?

Nope.

GobiasIndustries posted:

8000 range? And the golden bow is only 40?
:stare:

Yup, I looked it up in the guide before posting, the Golden Bow is only 20 in range. The Twilight Bow is an amiibo only item and it's completely broken and also has infinite ammo.
There's a spoiler item in this so don't enlarge if you didn't beat the game:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yowza, gonna have to get my hands on that thing.

Right now all I've got left outside of Koroks is farming Star Fragments for armor upgrades; is there a better way to farm them other than waiting for full moons and watching from the top of the dueling peaks?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 3, 2017

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

haven't played in over a month and just got back into the midst of it...feelin the magic all over again baby. it's just such an amazing game, thank you nintendo ! for your love & devotion too gaming :D

anyways i just climbed a tower covered in dark ooze & found my third fairy fountain :cheers:good poo poo

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Right now all I've got left outside of Koroks is farming Star Fragments for armor upgrades; is there a better way to farm them other than waiting for full moons and watching from the top of the dueling peaks?

Yes. Ignore the moon phase. Full moons have /nothing/ to do with Star Fragment frequency, A Star Fragment will fall almost every night.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GobiasIndustries posted:

You don't need the full moon.

Go to Dueling Peaks (or another high place with a good view of a flat area without too much mud/water/malice fragments might land in).

Build a fire, sit by it till evening.

Save, quit out of game, reopen game. (This is essential; it seems to reset an internal counter.)

Gaze meditatively over plain (try and make sure the bridge isn't in your field of view; I lost a fragment in the lake that way).

You should see a star fall sometime that night. Mark it, teleport to the nearest shrine/tower, run like hell.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Runcible Cat posted:

You don't need the full moon.

Go to Dueling Peaks (or another high place with a good view of a flat area without too much mud/water/malice fragments might land in).

Build a fire, sit by it till evening.

Save, quit out of game, reopen game. (This is essential; it seems to reset an internal counter.)

Gaze meditatively over plain (try and make sure the bridge isn't in your field of view; I lost a fragment in the lake that way).

You should see a star fall sometime that night. Mark it, teleport to the nearest shrine/tower, run like hell.

I can confirm this method works like a charm

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm virtually certain the saving and quitting is not necessary. Since I'm the only one using my Switch, and I don't really have other games to play on it at this time, I quit the game very rarely (maybe once every two to three weeks) and let the Switch go into Sleep Mode when I'm not using it.

But when I want Star Fragments,I just head to the top of Dueling Peaks, build the fire, face a direction with a good sky view, and wait until night, and then watch the sky until a Star Fragment falls or it's 3AM. One almost always does.

If one does, I recover it, and if I need more, I just return to Dueling Peaks, drop another campfire, and wait for the following Night, and repeat the process.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

I'm virtually certain the saving and quitting is not necessary. Since I'm the only one using my Switch, and I don't really have other games to play on it at this time, I quit the game very rarely (maybe once every two to three weeks) and let the Switch go into Sleep Mode when I'm not using it.

But when I want Star Fragments,I just head to the top of Dueling Peaks, build the fire, face a direction with a good sky view, and wait until night, and then watch the sky until a Star Fragment falls or it's 3AM. One almost always does.

If one does, I recover it, and if I need more, I just return to Dueling Peaks, drop another campfire, and wait for the following Night, and repeat the process.

I'm on a WiiU and they don't fall reliably without the quit/restart, so it may be a system difference.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I am old, have not payed attention to anything nintendo related for years before buying the switch, and am very confused by this whole amiibo thing. like its a figurine with some sort of rfid thing that lets the system know you have it so that it gives you the appropriate items?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

ok I am old, have not payed attention to anything nintendo related for years before buying the switch, and am very confused by this whole amiibo thing. like its a figurine with some sort of rfid thing that lets the system know you have it so that it gives you the appropriate items?

It doesn't sound to me like you're confused at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I guess what I'm confused by is the figure part like if they want to sell an extra sword or outfit fine but shouldn't there be a way to just download it? what is the point?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Earwicker posted:

I guess what I'm confused by is the figure part like if they want to sell an extra sword or outfit fine but shouldn't there be a way to just download it? what is the point?

I've seen amiibos referred to as 'physical DLC' and that's probably as close a description as you're going to get. (I suppose the alternative view would be 'little statues that unlock stuff in some games as a bonus.')

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

'Little statues that unlock stuff in some games as a bonus' is the entirety of it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

I've seen amiibos referred to as 'physical DLC'

lol ok so basically it's what we used to call an "add-on" before DLC existed

I mean I get that some people like to collect figures and all it just seems a bit backwards to have that be the only way to get the content when we have a perfectly good internet.

I hope someone makes an 80's or early 90's themed hacker game with "physical DLC" that looks like a set of 5.25" floppy disks

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Earwicker posted:

Because the figures are cool. Honestly, any DLC attached to them is more of a bonus for me. The "point" is the figure itself.

I suppose that $13-$18 is a bit much for some DLC to some, but the nice thing, at least in BotW, is that you can use the amiibos every day. And a lot of the DLC, especially the upcoming Fierce Deity set, is really, really loving cool. I'm more than happy to get a kick rear end Majora's Mask Link figure with the added bonus of a sweet Fierce Deity armor set.

edit: Yeah, I won't argue that having the bonus features as regular DLC at a lower price point wouldn't be nice for those who can't (or don't want to) find the figures, but it's Nintendo's way of selling more of the buggers, I guess.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 3, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe if it was anything more than aesthetic cameos I could see it being any sort of bummer.

But all of the stuff tied to amiibo is either gear that shares stats and upgrade bonuses with other gear you can already find in the game or weapons that don't really do anything different than other weapons available ingame and break before long anyways. Twilight Bow being the sole exception in this case.

Like, the type of people that want stuff that reminds them of past games were for the most part already the type of people that would buy small dumb figures.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

The figures themselves are the point. The stuff they unlock is a bonus. You buy them because you want the figures and then they do a little extra something in various games.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh ok I see. I only started wondering about them in the first place because you guys were talking about some super badass bow you can only get through amiibos - but if it's mostly just aesthetics that makes a lot more sense

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Crawfish posted:

But all of the stuff tied to amiibo is either gear that shares stats and upgrade bonuses with other gear you can already find in the game or weapons that don't really do anything different than other weapons available ingame and break before long anyways. Twilight Bow being the sole exception in this case.

Wolf Link as a doggie buddy from the Midna fig is another. I'm still surprised they didn't implement a pet dog feature in the game too, but I guess people would be too upset if their doggies died and the devs didn't want to add a register/Dog Fairy in.

Dammit, now I want a Dog Fairy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Nintendo needs to get the gently caress over itself and not charge people $460 to play Zelda.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
OK

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nintendo needs to get the gently caress over itself and not charge people $460 to play Zelda.

Worth it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah it's a good game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's how much I payed for Bloodborne.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I normally use a 3 or 5x lynel bow but for distance stuff I was curious if there was anything better. Apparently ancient bows are pretty rad, might have to forge one once my current golden bow breaks.

I've never forged any ancient equipment other than arrows and the armor set, because I was like, why should I spend my money and resources on something that's just going to break when I can find stuff all around, and a Royal Bow with attack bonus is usually higher anyway. But now that I have 70,000+ rupees and hundreds of ancient parts, maybe I should give it a shot just for the heck of it.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Judging by the demand, they should've charged $560.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 3, 2017

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Because then people would actually be able to get the in-game items AND Nintendo would get the money instead of scalpers so obviously that won't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

That's how much I payed for Bloodborne.

yeah but the the PS4 at least does have a fair number of other good games besides that

don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting a Switch because Zelda is amazing and Mario Kart is also a ton of fun, but it does seem like that's... kind of it for a while in terms of actual new games