Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I think he is the personification of all the tinfoil hat people who think the government is watching their every move. They all believe this one thing is happening and they ended up spawning the thing they fear in Mr World.

The way he talked about things interconnecting and products made me think he's the God of corporatism/capitalism at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

jfood posted:

I got the feeling that Mr. World is actual omnipotence, a constructed being that knows and sees everything. His power is letting what he wants of that knowledge be sent out through his pantheon of subordinates, Media and Meme-a-tron.

It's a power all the old gods played at, sacrificed for... but for him, it's just a given with zero cost.

He's definitely the head of the pantheon. To me Mr World isn't the god of conspiracy theories, he's the god of globalization. The interconnection of all systems both real and imagined. He's society and community and everything that makes those things up. He's the city-hall you can't fight against. He's Chinatown. He's The Man. He's the "They" when you say "You know what they say."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Also saying Fuller released something so it's not a spoiler is not true, Fuller spoils every single one of his shows on Twitter all the time, he doesn't give a gently caress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had to unfollow him because he tweets details of episodes that haven't aired yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

Also saying Fuller released something so it's not a spoiler is not true, Fuller spoils every single one of his shows on Twitter all the time, he doesn't give a gently caress.

And bless him for it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

vermin posted:

He's definitely the head of the pantheon. To me Mr World isn't the god of conspiracy theories, he's the god of globalization. The interconnection of all systems both real and imagined. He's society and community and everything that makes those things up. He's the city-hall you can't fight against. He's Chinatown. He's The Man. He's the "They" when you say "You know what they say."

Yeup, and he reminds me of Network.

The main character's a newsman who cracks on-air and turns into a shouty eccentric with a populist message and national influence. The World's Greatest Salesman gives him this shouty pro-globalization speech to turn him around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI5hrcwU7Dk

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 3, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

vermin posted:

He's The Man.

I dunno... I took him to be a god absent faith and followers. Maybe the old gods were always there, maybe we brought them into being, but Mr. World is one we built with our own hands and the most powerful one at that, but no one actually worships him. If he was something people believed in, feared, loved, revered or what have you, he wouldn't need Wednesday and Wednesday wouldn't need to war with him. That's not to say people don't devote their lives and attention to his subordinates, but to Mr. World himself?

Just think it'd be neat if there actually was an all-powerful, all-knowing deity and nobody gives a gently caress.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I quite enjoyed episode 6.
Ian McShane gets a huge gently caress off sword, and we get the road trip of our dreams.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Episode 6: It feels weird that Wednesday could kill Vulcan so easily, as he was set up as a stronger deity with his newfound religion of militarism. Can you even kill a god by just chopping his head off like that?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... that episode felt a bit ... disjointed?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

... that episode felt a bit ... disjointed?

So the same as every other episode then

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Monglo posted:

Episode 6: It feels weird that Wednesday could kill Vulcan so easily, as he was set up as a stronger deity with his newfound religion of militarism. Can you even kill a god by just chopping his head off like that?

I mean, Vulcan kind of gave him the perfect weapon to do it with. :shrug:

Also, if there's one thing I've learned from the bible, it's to never let other gods enter your temple. It's bad news.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Monglo posted:

Ep 6: I'm guessing Wednesday would have had a much harder time of it without that sword. Presumably if a God still has believers they can come back; which I guess was the point of Wednesday putting a curse on the factory, to try and gently caress up Vulcan's worshippers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Ep 6: I'm guessing Wednesday would have had a much harder time of it without that sword. Presumably if a God still has believers they can come back; which I guess was the point of Wednesday putting a curse on the factory, to try and gently caress up Vulcan's worshippers.

Still Ep 6: Yeah, I'd imagine the concept of Vulcan is still essentially intact, and no doubt sooner or later a new god will arise to more or less take his spot. Hell, it might just be a new Vulcan who's fairly similar to the old one, for that matter. Also, Wednesday himself comes from a pantheon where gods were explicitly sort-of-mortal and all died eventually, so that might just give him a certain knack when it comes to godslaying.

Alternatively, it might be a result of Vulcan re-imagining himself as the god of guns. After all, a significant chunk of deaths via firearms comes from negligence and suicide. And what else would you call the act of handing Wednesday a sword fit for a god right after betraying him?

Honestly, I'd still watch this show even if it had no central storyline at all, just for all the little vignettes of the gods finding their place in the modern world. :allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Perestroika posted:

Honestly, I'd still watch this show even if it had no central storyline at all, just for all the little vignettes of the gods finding their place in the modern world. :allears:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the road movie side story on its own. The adventures of leprechaun, dead wife and gay muslim cab driver (who banged a genie) are pretty excellent.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

episode 6 ending spoilers: was there anything different visually in the second metal -> bullets montage that wasn't there in the first one? The whole cursed + bullets + repeat montage aspect made me think there'd be something different in the second scene or whatever but it looked like a copy-paste from the first scene? Was the only point then that Vulcan was being disposed of in the same way his human sacrifices had been?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

And More posted:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the road movie side story on its own. The adventures of leprechaun, dead wife and gay muslim cab driver (who banged a genie) are pretty excellent.

It is a good roadtrip.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

double nine posted:

episode 6 ending spoilers: was there anything different visually in the second metal -> bullets montage that wasn't there in the first one? The whole cursed + bullets + repeat montage aspect made me think there'd be something different in the second scene or whatever but it looked like a copy-paste from the first scene? Was the only point then that Vulcan was being disposed of in the same way his human sacrifices had been?

I just watched through both and although all the shots are the same, the color in all of the seconds shots has been tinted darker / redder, and the music is different.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Really enjoying the Dead Wife roadtrip. They should swing back and pick up Audrey, though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Salim is too freaking adorable, and I can't wait until he meets the super-hung Djinn again.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
16 new posts, most of them spoilers. It's on Amazon prime here in the UK but the ep won't release till tomorrow. The suspense is killing me.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I just started watching the new episode: Holy poo poo! Mexican Jesus! And eh, he isn't a dying god so he is probably gonna come back to life by the third day. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the Lady of Guadalupe, she also has a very strong following (The Holy Death as well)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Did you get a genie in your bottle? :haw:

April
Jul 3, 2006

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Did anyone else think his accent made bottle sound like butthole? Just me?

Also, Salim... "Please stop stealing my cab." He is far too kind for this world.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

April posted:

Did anyone else think his accent made bottle sound like butthole? Just me?

That was some god tier word play. And yeah, that was totally intentional.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Mad Sweeney's entire rant in that restaurant was excellent writing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want more calculus lessons from Sweeney.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Mad Sweeney :allears:

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

mallratcal posted:

Really enjoying the Dead Wife roadtrip. They should swing back and pick up Audrey, though.

She's run off to become a wrestler. (She's in GLOW).

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mad Sweeney is the best and his speeches to dead wife are the best.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
For fucks sake don't go on Reddit. The Trump supporters have shown up and are now "done" with the show. They were totes cool with all the gay stuff and dongs though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seemed to me like the militia that showed up to kill Jesus might have actually been sent by American Jesus. As in Jesus is at war with himself in America, which would be on point. None of this is in the book so I'm not fake speculating or anything.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems pretty likely to me that Wednesday's curse is going to be relevant to the ongoing plot. Sometime, probably before the end of the season, someone is going to fire a gun at our protagonists, and the bullet is going to be a dud.

edit \/ Makes sense, thanks.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 5, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
He was saying that he needed power and gave up his wood for something more practical that could help him survive

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

precision posted:

It seemed to me like the militia that showed up to kill Jesus might have actually been sent by American Jesus. As in Jesus is at war with himself in America, which would be on point. None of this is in the book so I'm not fake speculating or anything.

Yeah, the writing on the gun made it seem like some kind church paramilitary group

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

That was how I read it too. Manifest Destiny White Jesus. But coulda just been Vulcan, hard to say.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, the writing on the gun made it seem like some kind church paramilitary group

Yeah but later we see that Vulcan has church paramilitary groups, so it seems to tie into that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pleases stop stealing my cab.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Conservative white Jesus going to be strange.... when they announced Jeremy Davies I assumed that would mean he was going to be a liberal white hippie Jesus

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think the point of the religious writing on the gun was that both groups were religious, but worshipping different versions of Jesus. So the border jumpers get Mexican Jesus and the shitheel oath keeper types are also Christian and probabky have get the backing of White Jesus. Or at least, Southern Shitheel Texas Jesus. I think the point was to show they are both ostensibly Christians, albeit wildly different Christians.

Hopefully the curse gets played out on them and Mexican Jesus can go old Testament on their asses.

Also I'd love to see Jesus Malverde pop up at some point, especially if we get more Mexican Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wildly different christians shooting a sacrifice to Vulcan.

:getin: