Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've done both alright and terrible with a standard brawl-y DDC and (mpl) AS7(L). Just branch out into firepower in all directions, then get some of the structural skills, and the left side of the agility tree for torso twisting and a bit of steering and accel/decel.

You may wish to substitute some structure for ecm improvements on the ddc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

The ability to not play MWO.

Worth it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

Is there any way to make the atlas not suck post skill tree?

If not, any other brawley assaults worth looking into?

B A T T L E M A S T E R S

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Is there any way to make the atlas not suck post skill tree?

If not, any other brawley assaults worth looking into?

You can make it a lot tankier, but there's no way to get the Atlas moving at anything other than a glacial crawl.

As for brawling assults, Commoners is very high on the Victor-9S and it isn't hard to see why. The combination of strong armor quirks and outstanding base mobility make it a natural fit for the role. It's even got Jump Jets. Stick an AC/20 and some SRMs on, max out the Survival tree, and have fun murdering everything that gets close to you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

You can make it a lot tankier, but there's no way to get the Atlas moving at anything other than a glacial crawl.

As for brawling assults, Commoners is very high on the Victor-9S and it isn't hard to see why. The combination of strong armor quirks and outstanding base mobility make it a natural fit for the role. It's even got Jump Jets. Stick an AC/20 and some SRMs on, max out the Survival tree, and have fun murdering everything that gets close to you.

I was about to say, the Victor is the new Atlas. The armor quirks make it just as tanky, if not more so, and it's got almost as much armament. Plus, it moves faster and has mobility that's worth a drat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
new mechpack: Osiris, Nightstar, Nova Cat, Arctic Wolf

https://mwomercs.com/civil-war-escalation

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

reminder to not bother with any until we see what the acceleration profiles are like.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Pattonesque posted:

So... The ACW-1&2 are NOT engine locked, but the other 3 are?
It's both Omni and Battle?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

reminder to not bother with any until we see what the acceleration profiles are like.

Yeah, until the start showing mobility stats in the specs section, pre-ordering is even more pointless than it was before. That said,

Osiris: could be okay depending on its scale. If it's the size of a Jenner, it'll be worthless.
Nightstar: an IS assault with high mounts that can build something other than Laser Vomit? How novel!
Nova Cat: it looks like a lovely version of the Night Gyr.
Arctic Wolf: It's both an Omnimech and a Battlemech, that's neat! Shame the only ECM is stuck on the engine-locked Omni... and JJs on the Battlemech are Hero only. I like that it fills a tonnage gap for the clans, but it looks like a pretty awful pay-2-optimize offender.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rysithusiku posted:

So... The ACW-1&2 are NOT engine locked, but the other 3 are?
It's both Omni and Battle?

Lore reasons. The original Battlemech was built as a roster-filler and testbed for Clan Wolf-in-Exile while they figured out how to do Omni production with IS infrastructure. It transitioned over to being an Omnimech once all the kinks got worked out.

It's cool that they're carrying its unusual design history over into the game, but locking all the Battlemech versions behind a paywall, and the only one with JJs behind another paywall is kinda lovely.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Nightstar's an interesting choice.

The Nova Cat's a 70 ton energy boat with high mounts, so it'll be a slightly better Hellbringer and a significantly better Summoner.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:toot:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Can't tell because of the quality, but are those LB20s?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Can't tell because of the quality, but are those LB20s?

that looks like the 4-LB10X Kodiak-3, a historically murderous build within 250m

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

now make that a little bigger so i can actually see whats going on :smug:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

that looks like the 4-LB10X Kodiak-3, a historically murderous build within 250m

Correct. Old build, but still really satisfying to land those shottie blasts.

Agrajag posted:

now make that a little bigger so i can actually see whats going on :smug:

Best summary I could do without loving over people on phones and stuff. Maybe I'll do a YT upload later, but there are way better games on there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ElPez posted:

Correct. Old build, but still really satisfying to land those shottie blasts.

Best summary I could do without loving over people on phones and stuff. Maybe I'll do a YT upload later, but there are way better games on there.

.webm format is your friend.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I got addicted to this game a couple months ago and it just occurred to me to check and see if any goons are in to it too. I see there is a thread! My screen name is ShooterMcGavin80. I hope to blow up mechs with some fellow goons sometime.

Post new skill tree a couple of my favorite fun mechs got nerfed pretty bad:

Spider 5K (basically now a waste of tonnage)
Rifleman 3N (lost a bit of ballistic cooldown and quite a bit of velocity)

Both those mechs were never THAT good, but they made me happy inside playing them. I don't have many mechs but all the other ones seem to be just about the same post-skill tree. I'm confused why somebody decided to nerf niche IS mechs that weren't that great to begin with. :(

Right now I'm having fun with the Ebon Jaguar, my first clan heavy. This puppy is freakin' great!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was about to say, the Victor is the new Atlas. The armor quirks make it just as tanky, if not more so, and it's got almost as much armament. Plus, it moves faster and has mobility that's worth a drat.

Thirding the Victor 9S. I build mine with an AC20 because it's fun, but the 'good' players who have been running the 9S have been swapping the AC20 for two LPLs and three more heatsinks. Some people also run standard 300s which neatly slot into the space filled by the XL380, but I say those people are sad. Still, do you, both builds work.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Great Beer posted:

.webm format is your friend.

Will those embed? Testing:
http://webm.land/media/lgm2.webm

Here's the whole thing anyway, for the very bored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCcMhzg_4Q

e: :toot: again.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ElPez posted:

e: :toot: again.

Congrats, ElPez!

Edit:

Rysithusiku posted:

"Little Bastard"

So which of the Bushwackers is your favorite, Rysithusiku? Does the rest of the thread have a favorite Bushwacker?

I may want to wait for the Civil War tech before picking one up though...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 3, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

edit: woops

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Well after some tinkering and playing with the skill tree I can confirm that the 6 x LPL BLR-1G is .......... poo poo, don't do it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, the Bushwacker X-2 that you have named "Little Bastard," is Rysithusiku's favorite.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Artificer posted:

So which of the Bushwackers is your favorite, Rysithusiku? Does the rest of the thread have a favorite Bushwacker?

I may want to wait for the Civil War tech before picking one up though...

X2 for proper skill brawling, X1 for just facecharging everything, P1 for missile gimmicks, P2 makes a pretty great laser/mg brawler, S2 for more balanced (but still missile-heavy) loadouts

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
I've been playing the Linebacker ever since I earned it in the event and I think it's my new favorite mech, lack of pod space aside it's reasonably punchy and rather durable, and the 6 mpl build doesn't gently caress around at all. (Originally I was using dual ER-PPC but that's a boring build for boring people - Very consistent, but it doesn't make the best use of the speed and armor it's got, honestly)

It runs pretty hot, so it's not good at extended engagements, but it's good enough at peeking and poking to Kill Dudes or at least shave off components and you can use your speed and good mounts to get better firing angles and cover anyways.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Any of you able to explain this pre-ordering of mechs several months in advance with only a 1 month window pre-order bonus? Seems super odd to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Any of you able to explain this pre-ordering of mechs several months in advance with only a 1 month window pre-order bonus? Seems super odd to me.

It's standard :pgi:.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gfarrell80 posted:

I got addicted to this game a couple months ago and it just occurred to me to check and see if any goons are in to it too. I see there is a thread! My screen name is ShooterMcGavin80. I hope to blow up mechs with some fellow goons sometime.

Post new skill tree a couple of my favorite fun mechs got nerfed pretty bad:

Spider 5K (basically now a waste of tonnage)
Rifleman 3N (lost a bit of ballistic cooldown and quite a bit of velocity)

Both those mechs were never THAT good, but they made me happy inside playing them. I don't have many mechs but all the other ones seem to be just about the same post-skill tree. I'm confused why somebody decided to nerf niche IS mechs that weren't that great to begin with. :(

Right now I'm having fun with the Ebon Jaguar, my first clan heavy. This puppy is freakin' great!

jump on the mumble, don't worry about getting in the goon guild. pw is mellon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skoll posted:

It's standard :pgi:.

The Resistance heroes don't have pre-order bonuses, so I wouldn't be surprised to eventually hear some comments from Russ about how they were disappointed in its sales, simply because people had no reason not to *gasp* wait and see what the mechs are actually like before buying.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Skoll posted:

Too little too late. The Battletech beta is literally a single game mode with limited variety and is already tons funner than MWO ever was.

I'm not sure if I'd say "ever" but those days are gone and the days of HBS Battletech are here.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Mottie posted:

I've been playing the Linebacker ever since I earned it in the event and I think it's my new favorite mech, lack of pod space aside it's reasonably punchy and rather durable, and the 6 mpl build doesn't gently caress around at all. (Originally I was using dual ER-PPC but that's a boring build for boring people - Very consistent, but it doesn't make the best use of the speed and armor it's got, honestly)

It runs pretty hot, so it's not good at extended engagements, but it's good enough at peeking and poking to Kill Dudes or at least shave off components and you can use your speed and good mounts to get better firing angles and cover anyways.

You should join the SPL club, it runs super cool and there is no greater joy than dashing the dreams of lights and LRM boats hiding in the back as you vaporize both of their legs in <10 seconds.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atlatl posted:

You should join the SPL club, it runs super cool and there is no greater joy than dashing the dreams of lights and LRM boats hiding in the back as you vaporize both of their legs in <10 seconds.

I gotta agree it feels like Im playing a very forgiving light that can take hits if I mess up.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

sebmojo posted:

jump on the mumble, don't worry about getting in the goon guild. pw is mellon.

Mumble? What is that?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

gfarrell80 posted:

Mumble? What is that?

A voice client for old people who're afraid of Discord. The IP adress and PW are in the the OP.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Pfffft, lol if you aren't old enough for Ventrilo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skippy McPants posted:

A voice client for old people who're afraid of Discord. The IP adress and PW are in the the OP.

Discord is a piece of poo poo compared to Mumble though. Everyone playing Overwatch and HotS use discord and its complete rear end.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Discord is a piece of poo poo compared to Mumble though. Everyone playing Overwatch and HotS use discord and its complete rear end.

Who cares? It's the popular newshit, and life is easier when everyone is using the same voice client.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Pfffft, lol if you aren't old enough for Ventrilo.

The weird push-to-talk noise from Ventrilo is forever seared into my brain from countless hours of raiding in WoW.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
WHERE DO I POINT MY ROGER WILCO AT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say "ever" but those days are gone and the days of HBS Battletech are here.

When a game was only fun in its closed beta state, it is not a good game.

• Locked thread