Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I don't really get the point of the "Pasqualo goes crazy in space for billions of years" arc, when at the end he essentially runs into God and Satan analogues and makes an 'ultimate choice' that could have been done in heaven/hell? Though I guess being utterly alone forever in hostile alien worlds is a pretty good depression metaphor. And it was cool to watch the scope of the setting gradually widen from beginning to end. But it did wildly alter the story's arc at the very end for confusing payoff.

I don't understand why it would be impossible to remake Aurora as a regular person without fundamentally changing who she is, but it's okay to make a new mashup person that's half her and half him. Doesn't that change who she is pretty significantly? And if he can just mix and match like that, why not like, combine Aurora with someone who otherwise died at birth or something so she gets a new regular human life but doesn't overwrite someone else's?

Lastly, it really makes me sad that Trissh and Katie, specifically, do not appear or get mentioned anywhere in the finale. They're not in Pasqualo's memories and they don't show up in nu-verse. Maybe this indicates they are not constant presences in iterations of P's life like Ally and Tubsy? Still, there was a very long stretch of the comic they were more prominent characters than Tubs. They were also each very important to helping Pasqualo grow as a character, especially Katie. The story took great pains to show that her and Pasqualo's relationship was based on mutual respect AND that happiness was possible for him without a literal deus ex machina. And yet... as soon as they reached hell the 2 characters stopped having much to do, and by the end they've been completely forgotten along with the lessons they helped impart.

That said, the story became a kind of fable and creation myth, and those kind of stories always have to be kind of cyclical and bookended. There was a lot of action and emotion in the middle parts of the story that never tied up, and the part of me that grew attached to them is a little disappointed. Still, a fantastic story, and I enjoyed it very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasabi the J posted:

nah it's a fair gripe; I don't like the reset ending as much as other potential endings.

It's not a reset ending, though. Its an entirely new universe that exists after the previous one, it didn't replace or reset anything. That's a new Ally, and a new Tubsy, and a new Aurora.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

feetnotes posted:

I don't really get the point of the "Pasqualo goes crazy in space for billions of years" arc, when at the end he essentially runs into God and Satan analogues and makes an 'ultimate choice' that could have been done in heaven/hell? Though I guess being utterly alone forever in hostile alien worlds is a pretty good depression metaphor. And it was cool to watch the scope of the setting gradually widen from beginning to end. But it did wildly alter the story's arc at the very end for confusing payoff.

You ever read Asimov's The Question? Pasq needs to show he has what it takes to answer how to create a new universe, and spending a kalpa solving problems and traversing the entirety of existence give him that.

feetnotes posted:

I don't understand why it would be impossible to remake Aurora as a regular person without fundamentally changing who she is, but it's okay to make a new mashup person that's half her and half him. Doesn't that change who she is pretty significantly? And if he can just mix and match like that, why not like, combine Aurora with someone who otherwise died at birth or something so she gets a new regular human life but doesn't overwrite someone else's?

well, remember, aurora was specifically created to answer pasq's desire to be happy. So long as pasq exists, Aurora will be drawn to him and cause the apocalypse (because she's a fragment of harmony.) And there's nothing half-and-half about aurorasqualo, pasq is completely erased from existence and aurora got stuck in his place. Presumably Aurora's nature is so resilient that she'll maintain the weapons-grade optimism even in the face of dad.

feetnotes posted:

Lastly, it really makes me sad that Trissh and Katie, specifically, do not appear or get mentioned anywhere in the finale. They're not in Pasqualo's memories and they don't show up in nu-verse. Maybe this indicates they are not constant presences in iterations of P's life like Ally and Tubsy? Still, there was a very long stretch of the comic they were more prominent characters than Tubs. They were also each very important to helping Pasqualo grow as a character, especially Katie. The story took great pains to show that her and Pasqualo's relationship was based on mutual respect AND that happiness was possible for him without a literal deus ex machina. And yet... as soon as they reached hell the 2 characters stopped having much to do, and by the end they've been completely forgotten along with the lessons they helped impart.

On the stream, gob said that Trisssh still exists as a snake monster and Katie still has a bunch of crazy theories (that will be right). And harmony literally said that there were loads and loads of ways for pasq to become happy without aurora.

Also remember that the entire audience filled with iterations of pasq (including God Dammit pasq) heavily implies that pasq has done this many times before.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well it's not as if he ever noticed how much of a dick his dad was in the first place. I'd imagine the new version would be the same way.

He figured it out when they met in Heaven, culminating in eating his hat. So I choose to believe he changed that for the better, all evidence or creator statements to the contrary.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ah, a good ending for a good comic. Wish it wasn't done, but glad to see it completed well instead of petering off into eternal hiatus like so many other comics.

Thanks for telling us this story, Gob & Co.!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the ending was nice

when i first started to read it hurts in one of the webcomic threads, i thought that it was poo poo, but then at one point i started to enjoy reading it, not sure if it was before the 100th strip

one of the main things that separates it hurts!! from other webcomics, and the reason i like it so much, is that it had a plot that was going somewhere and the characters didn't have plot armor

thanks for making a great comic gob!

what are you going to do next? :haw:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the comic had some nice plot twists, but the biggest one was when gob revealed that he had been a goon for years :)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
RIP Pasqualo. You were too sad and gay for this world~

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hogge Wild posted:

the comic had some nice plot twists, but the biggest one was when gob revealed that he had been a goon for years :)

Gobolatula posted:

I did, yeah! My best friend / editor pointed it out to me a while ago along with this thread. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to pop in here and say hi and stuff, but anyway... HI! Please don't mind me.

Thank you so much!!!

Nah I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea and think I was trying to be mean to my fans or something.

"Gobolatula" is a word my old buddy came up with around '99 or so. He was half-asleep and some Usher song was playing on MTV or something and he said, "This song sounds like... gobolatula." He was trying to express his disgust with it. He said "gobolatula" as if he smelled something awful. I laughed very hard and that afternoon I made it my AOL screen name.

That's a really good idea! I think I'll do this.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

holy poo poo that reg date

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, so does this mean a goon project was actually completed?! :aaaaa:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

the ending was nice

when i first started to read it hurts in one of the webcomic threads, i thought that it was poo poo, but then at one point i started to enjoy reading it, not sure if it was before the 100th strip

one of the main things that separates it hurts!! from other webcomics, and the reason i like it so much, is that it had a plot that was going somewhere and the characters didn't have plot armor

thanks for making a great comic gob!

what are you going to do next? :haw:

I know I started to really like it before 100 at least just because of Pow Gangsta poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

aw man I just realized the ending means they never hang out with Trisssssssssh :smith:

Otoh she never gets exposed to the internet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Edit: wrong thread!

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 2, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The thing that rubs me wrong about the whole goddamn story is that never once do they actually address the fact that Pasqualo is a big dumb beta bitch and supreme crybaby who has been carried through most of his dumb depressed existence by Allison, that gets touched on exactly once after the apocalypse with the whole 'my sister is dead you loving anus' and than the balance is literally never again addressed. I mean obviously Pasqualo changes when he turns into a manic wasteland warlord which takes a load off Allison but he never really does anything for her besides. Allison is too good for this gay Pasqualo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Motherfucker posted:

The thing that rubs me wrong about the whole goddamn story is that never once do they actually address the fact that Pasqualo is a big dumb beta bitch and supreme crybaby who has been carried through most of his dumb depressed existence by Allison, that gets touched on exactly once after the apocalypse with the whole 'my sister is dead you loving anus' and than the balance is literally never again addressed. I mean obviously Pasqualo changes when he turns into a manic wasteland warlord which takes a load off Allison but he never really does anything for her besides. Allison is too good for this gay Pasqualo.

I don't think this story is for you.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Motherfucker posted:

Do you have friends?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Nah the rest is mad good especially when satan shoots him in the dick.

Laputanmachine posted:

Do you have friends?

no please tell me what its like

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I'm so happy I read this comic. The ending was beautiful and funny. Thanks Gob!

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I never tried this comic over the years it was running for some reason, but when I saw in the other webcoms thread that it was over I gave it a shot... and binged it the entire way through in two sittings. Really glad that I gave it a chance, because it was very good and honestly I feel more strongly about it than some of the comics that I've been following for years. Thanks for making this strange, funny, sometimes sad and sometimes uplifting thing, Gob.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Oh yeah I almost forgot, grats gob. You sure made that thing. And it was good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

god drat this was a good comic that made me feel a lot of things, thanks gob

I spent most of last night reading through the whole thing again and this comic makes the ending a hell of a lot more melancholy than it already was.

It's not what I want.

It's not what I want.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

dmboogie posted:

I spent most of last night reading through the whole thing again and this comic makes the ending a hell of a lot more melancholy than it already was.

It's not what I want.

It's not what I want.

Whoa.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

It's not what I want.

It's not what I want.

drat, good catch. :smith:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dmboogie posted:

It's not what I want.

It's not what I want.

It's not what she wanted... He sacrificed himself and she knew he would.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

It's not what I want.

It's not what I want.

drat

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I'm very happy to see that people are finding the little foreshadowy bits I put in there, hehe.

Some people are asking what I'll be up to next and I can say this much:
1) Compiling the IT HURTS books
2) Making some IT HURTS artsy craftsy things people can buy (a calendar / prints)
3) Starting a new series written by Josef and drawn by me
4) Maybe continuing old series of mine
5) Making goofy videos

I think I'll be starting with getting IH all book'd up. That's what I'm thinking as of right now anyway. We'll see.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Gobolatula posted:

I think I'll be starting with getting IH all book'd up. That's what I'm thinking as of right now anyway. We'll see.

The copy doesn't exist yet, but I'm clutching it in my empty sweat-stained hand, fevered. I need it so I can fool friends into buying and reading it, so I can laugh outside their window at 3am as they stare at the ceiling, unblinking.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gobolatula posted:

I'm very happy to see that people are finding the little foreshadowy bits I put in there, hehe.

Some people are asking what I'll be up to next and I can say this much:
1) Compiling the IT HURTS books
2) Making some IT HURTS artsy craftsy things people can buy (a calendar / prints)
4) Maybe continuing old series of mine

5) Making goofy videos

thanks! sounds cool

link your stuff here when it goes online

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gobolatula posted:

I don't remember if you answered this - was the dialogue all on you or was it more collaborative? It's the best, but I won't mind something different.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't remember if you answered this - was the dialogue all on you or was it more collaborative? It's the best, but I won't mind something different.
The dialogue in IT HURTS was mostly written by me in the stupidest way ever. I would draw the comic and fully color it, leaving myself empty speech bubbles, then I'd come up with the words at the very end, on the spot. I had the gist of what was gonna be said in my head but it didn't get fully articulated until the end when I typed it into the bubble.

It wasn't until the middle of the Hell arc that I started actually typing scripts.

Josef wrote the script for the last comic himself based on all the ideas we came up with together. He also wrote a few comics himself along the way. One of my favorite was a comic about Peeplops getting high.

Josef had a huge part in making IH great. The story was always based on what him and I would chat about in conversations together. I came up with stuff and he'd either give it a yea or nay. He also urged me to be the funniest I could be every single comic. If it didn't make him laugh he'd urge me to rewrite jokes (sometimes over and over again (and with good reason)).

I trust Josef because he's a funny dude and an actual knowledgeable writer. In the future I'll be drawing his scripts, but he also gave me license to be my usual visually weird self and jazz up dialogue if I see it necessary. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tell Joseph we love him also. Y'all do great work together.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Thank you gob. It Hurts has been one of my favourite internet things and I'll miss it terribly. Looking forward to your next project.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gobolatula posted:

The dialogue in IT HURTS was mostly written by me in the stupidest way ever. I would draw the comic and fully color it, leaving myself empty speech bubbles, then I'd come up with the words at the very end, on the spot. I had the gist of what was gonna be said in my head but it didn't get fully articulated until the end when I typed it into the bubble.

See this seems like a bad idea in principle but I think it worked for this comic. It's what gave everything that air of spontaneity. Plus I'd imagine a lot of the random gags in dialog came about because you had more speech bubble to fill and thought "hey, put a joke in there".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Cheshire Cat posted:

See this seems like a bad idea in principle but I think it worked for this comic. It's what gave everything that air of spontaneity. Plus I'd imagine a lot of the random gags in dialog came about because you had more speech bubble to fill and thought "hey, put a joke in there".

On rereading I can see where that exact thing must have happened

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hi, I've been resisting reading this comic for a while for no good reason other than the initial art style turned me off. I heard it ended and just read the whole thing in two days.
Gob, thanks so much for writing such a goddamned good comic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah I don't get to say this often about much of anything on the internet, but this stuck with me in a way that hasn't happened in more than a decade, so thank you for bringing me back to the keenspot days and then blowing that out of the water. And, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm really happy It Hurts didn't get ultra popular and widespread. Only because it seems like everything that does now gets drowned in a cesspool of fandom hatred; this felt more like 10, 15 years ago, where there wasn't so many people online, and a work like this can just BE and be enjoyed for what it is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Black August posted:

Yeah I don't get to say this often about much of anything on the internet, but this stuck with me in a way that hasn't happened in more than a decade, so thank you for bringing me back to the keenspot days and then blowing that out of the water. And, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm really happy It Hurts didn't get ultra popular and widespread. Only because it seems like everything that does now gets drowned in a cesspool of fandom hatred; this felt more like 10, 15 years ago, where there wasn't so many people online, and a work like this can just BE and be enjoyed for what it is.

Tangentially, the notion of community on the internet seems almost dead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Tangentially, the notion of community on the internet seems almost dead.

I think that's probably not true, it's just that internet communities are by definition sort of interior so you don't see the ones you aren't a part of.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Android Blues posted:

I think that's probably not true, it's just that internet communities are by definition sort of interior so you don't see the ones you aren't a part of.

While that's true, I think there are very few current platforms that encourage sustained communication with the same group of people, which is essential for getting a community going. This style of forum does, mostly because there aren't a million branches of branches of conversations occuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I guess it depends. There are definitely a bunch of cliques and like, subcommunities, but yeah, large zones of 200+ people all hanging out in the same spot is definitely not a thing in the same way.

• Locked thread