Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Voter suppression so far seems born out of desperation to keep power, not to expand it. The trick barely works on a national level.

It 'barely' worked in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dont even fink about it posted:

They're not organized enough to have a cohesive strategy, least of all in their death throes.

Well, most of the legislative work they're doing is state level, and that's all coordinated nationally through ALEC. There's a reason "bathroom bills" hit in multiple states at once. Ditto voter ID, etc.

That said yeah there's no one villain cackling over a cat in a volcano crater. There's just a lot of independent Republican politicians independently grasping at power using a common, national toolbox.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Voter suppression is one of those things that's like an open secret where Democratic politicians cannot even imply it's a thing, right? In that Republicans will just start talking about preventing voter fraud and actually it is you who is the real racist.

It feels like it doesn't come up nearly enough when the Democrats are playing with an obvious disadvantage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

It 'barely' worked in 2016.

It's a jump to say that the same tactics can eliminate open elections by 2018.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Was Paris really going to cost us 100b? I know it was essentially toothless but I've been hearing the "paying for nothing" argument a lot lately

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, most of the legislative work they're doing is state level, and that's all coordinated nationally through ALEC. There's a reason "bathroom bills" hit in multiple states at once. Ditto voter ID, etc.

That said yeah there's no one villain cackling over a cat in a volcano crater. There's just a lot of independent Republican politicians independently grasping at power using a common, national toolbox.

Oh, I was speaking more of the Trump administration. The actual Republican political machine is a much different story.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Darth Windu posted:

Was Paris really going to cost us 100b? I know it was essentially toothless but I've been hearing the "paying for nothing" argument a lot lately

Lol, why do you bother posting here?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lightning Lord posted:

Lol, why do you bother posting here?

I'm asking a question? I don't see the issue.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

business hammocks posted:

Voter suppression so far seems born out of desperation to keep power, not to expand it. The trick barely works on a national level.

How are we defining voter suppression here and what criteria are you using to determine that it's actually working? The GOP have near total control over the federal government right now and they're only being hamstrung by their own incompetence and inability to transition away from a strategy of obstructionism. Their tactics have been working just fine for at least the last two decades and they are legitimately reaping the benefits with federal departments and agencies, even if they're failing on a legislative level.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Windu posted:

yes it was set to be a huge wealth transfer from american taxpayers to foreign dictators and tax exempt corporations. There are countless examples of how in europe and canada, carbon tax money was used to subsidise coal plants and other heavily polluting industries. Its literally a scam.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress npr, dipshits are trying to save their jobs by fluffing trump

Yes, truly, NPR is part of the pro-Trump intelligencia.

This is the most stupid thing I've see posted in the past thirty pages. That's impressive.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Darth Windu posted:

I'm asking a question? I don't see the issue.

Because it encourages "I jerk off to gay frog orgies" dipshits the guy two posts above me.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

yes it was set to be a huge wealth transfer from american taxpayers to foreign dictators and tax exempt corporations. There are countless examples of how in europe and canada, carbon tax money was used to subsidise coal plants and other heavily polluting industries. Its literally a scam.

ya it was such an evil conspiracy that literally every country in the world except one that isn't really a country anymore got onboard

to funnel money to dictators

and evil corporations

every country in the world

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

DO you have something I can read on that? Google isn't turning up anything.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pikavangelist posted:

Because it encourages "I jerk off to gay frog orgies" dipshits the guy two posts above me.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/03/greece-set-to-win-175m-from-eu-climate-scheme-to-build-two-coal-plants
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/irving-oil-carbon-tax-nb-1.4122789
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-12-561_en.htm?locale=en

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol the rally for Pittsburgh isn't even in Pittsburgh.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Thanks man. Maybe trump was right to take us out, then. Granted it's the only thing he's been right on so far

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Lol the rally for Pittsburgh isn't even in Pittsburgh.

Even better, it's in motherfucking Lafayette Square

gently caress the French, let's chill in this poorly named venue for our gently caress the French march!

edit: I wanna see the alt-right go back to Freedom Fries because they hate the Frenchies ruining our economy so much

edit^2: Darth how long have you been a sockpuppet of Smoke Sumthin

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Pittsburgh went Clinton overwhelmingly (55% to 39%). Guessing Trump prefers safe spaces for his pep rallies.

Darth Windu posted:

Thanks man. Maybe trump was right to take us out, then. Granted it's the only thing he's been right on so far

You've totally convinced us, we're all wrong, great work.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

I keep saying this and I am confident I will be vindicated: the whole tea party wave, some GOP old guards, McConnell and ryan are full of Russian money and are waiting for the shoe to drop.

You don't even need them to have known they were taking it: he fact that Russians did it and can prove it would be enough to influence.

It fits perfectly with their behaviors all over Europe, and when that dam finally breaks, it'll be Nixon squared or something.

I hope you're right, and I hope we can capitalize on it with something slightly better than Carter squared.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darth Windu posted:

"Maybe Trump is right about this, just this one time", thought uninformed man

Complex international agreements are going to have some flaws somewhere, that doesn't mean they're a *net* negative

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

This article sucks for shading in various states and then not actually linking to the bills. California is shaded in two of the graphics and not mentioned once in the text of the article!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

"Maybe Trump is right about this, just this one time", thought uninformed man

Complex international agreements are going to have some flaws somewhere, that doesn't mean they're a *net* negative

It could mean a net negative for the us, which is a legitimate reason to want to renegotiate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do not reply to Darth Windu.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Do not reply to Darth Windu.

this appears to be good advice

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

It could mean a net negative for the us, which is a legitimate reason to want to renegotiate.

Ya, ya, makes you think 🤔

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

How are we defining voter suppression here and what criteria are you using to determine that it's actually working? The GOP have near total control over the federal government right now and they're only being hamstrung by their own incompetence and inability to transition away from a strategy of obstructionism. Their tactics have been working just fine for at least the last two decades and they are legitimately reaping the benefits with federal departments and agencies, even if they're failing on a legislative level.

That's a question for the poster I quoted, but if it's partisan manipulation of local election boards to close polling places and eliminate or restrict early voting or id laws, as I assumed, that's not really the reason republicans control the legislature, or not the big reason. Voter suppression was one major factor in Trump's election, but would not have delivered him the presidency if not for Clinton's historic unpopularity and Comey's email announcements. Republicans running the house and senate comes from republican voters being obedient and strongly motivated by loathing of a black president, as well as the more powerful and effective messaging republicans get through their huge advantage in funding and their ability to control national narrative and discourse on key republican issues. Voter suppression through law alone didn't depress turnout for non-republican voters either, though it is a very important factor. The most powerful form of voter suppression has always been to sap people's motivation to vote or to make it seem useless or hopeless.

They're in control, but it's a tenuous control and I don't see how they can write themselves laws that will end American democracy by 2018.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

CPColin posted:

This article sucks for shading in various states and then not actually linking to the bills. California is shaded in two of the graphics and not mentioned once in the text of the article!

It's also only showing states where bills have been introduced, which is completely meaningless. Let's compare two maps from that article:

:thunk:

State legislatures are awful and idiotic legislation gets introduced or even passed through committee all the time. It means absolutely nothing and this kind of analysis is worthless without also discussing the likelihood that a bill will actually move forward in a meaningful way.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i think the only real conclusion is that south dakota just doesnt give a poo poo about voting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One thing to keep in mind is that there are large areas of America that have only had democracy for a fairly short period of time. Plenty of black people can remember being unable to vote. "American Democracy" is not nearly as strong a tradition as we pretend.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

One thing to keep in mind is that there are large areas of America that have only had democracy for a fairly short period of time. Plenty of black people can remember being unable to vote. "American Democracy" is not nearly as strong a tradition as we pretend.

Women have also been able to vote for less than half the nation's history

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Darth Windu posted:

Otho, the earth remains habitable.

Which seems like something you should put into the positive column. Fuckwit.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Someone I went to highschool with shared a fox news post that basically said "The US Paid $1B into green energy technology, but the other major polluters [China, India, Russia] have paid nothing, therefore it was smart to pull out of the Paris Accord"

I'm glad "take your ball and go home, gently caress the earth" is a tenant of the GOP

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unoriginal Name posted:

Otho, the earth remains habitable.

Which seems like something you should put into the positive column. Fuckwit.

Yeah but what do *I* get out of it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Someone I went to highschool with shared a fox news post that basically said "The US Paid $1B into green energy technology, but the other major polluters [China, India, Russia] have paid nothing, therefore it was smart to pull out of the Paris Accord"

I'm glad "take your ball and go home, gently caress the earth" is a tenant of the GOP

It helps to realize that most people have no real understanding of just how massive the US government's role in the US economy actually is. A lot of people hear about something that "costs us money" or that we "paid for" and don't really get that we're talking about literally growing the economy through government spending.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

It wouldn't matter either way. A hundred billion dollars to a 16 Trillion dollar economy is functionally nothing. We are the preeminent industrial society in human civilization. What's worth more? The money or the long term viability of the species?

The only people that are saying this is worth nothing are dead-enders that don't deserve to be part of the species at all.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Darth Windu posted:

DO you have something I can read on that? Google isn't turning up anything.

smoke sumthin bitch is our town fool. You should regard anything he posts with extreme skepticism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

It helps to realize that most people have no real understanding of just how massive the US government's role in the US economy actually is. A lot of people hear about something that "costs us money" or that we "paid for" and don't really get that we're talking about literally growing the economy through government spending.

People like to pretend that the economy is capable of massive growth uncoupled from government spending. I heard it yesterday on On Point from a caller.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress npr, dipshits are trying to save their jobs by fluffing trump

quote:

"[Approval] is a pretty labile measure in general," said Frank Newport, editor-in-chief at Gallup. But for Trump, he said, it just "isn't changing much."

He added, "When I talk about it, I generally say his approval hasn't changed that much on a relative basis."

A big part of this is, of course, that his approval is so low that it doesn't have as much room to fall as it otherwise might. From that perspective, it could be considered notable that his approval rating has fallen as much as other presidents whose approval ratings were much higher.

quote:

As with so many other phenomena in politics these days, polarization appears to be another driving factor here.

Democrats had little love for Trump to begin with, and nothing thus far has shaken Republicans' loyalty to him. Given his record-low approval ratings, Trump would have to lose ground among independents and Republicans in order to dip much more.

"It's more tribal than anything else," said Patrick Murray, founding director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute. "The two-party system has moved from this idea that these were two admirable foes who just have different approaches to governance to seeing the other party as an existential threat."

He points to the relative movement (or lack thereof) of approval by party as proof, noting that, for example, Nixon's job approval fell to the mid-20s by the end of his presidency, when he was embroiled in the Watergate scandal.

Should the Russia investigation become much more damaging to the White House or should another scandal arise, Murray said, "there's the possibility that that won't happen to Donald Trump, because people are so viscerally tied to their party identification today."

That last bit I bolded is, in my opinion, one of the biggest political issues we're facing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Nonsense posted:

People like to pretend that the economy is capable of massive growth uncoupled from government spending. I heard it yesterday on On Point from a caller.

It's actually crazy how hard it is to convince people that roughly 40% of our GDP is composed of federal, state, and local spending, and that's just actual dollar values without accounting for the positive growth effects that spending has on the private sector. Lots of people are completely decoupled from reality when it comes to how they view the economy and the role of the government in it.

• Locked thread