Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

dont be mean to me posted:

Name and shame. I want to see if he thinks it's just nice and brutal to have weather tank your attributes or if he actually has a beef with what Lonesome Road was trying to say (or that it was saying anything at all).

Better late than never, but it's Nevada Skies. For some reason, they decided sandstorms should tank perception, which means the courier can't think 'hey why did you bring me here' because there's so much fkn sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Weather loving with stats is one of those things that sounds cool on paper but sucks in reality, mainly because the enemies are not realistically affected by the weather in the same way you are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Iirc Nevada skies also added a perk that counteracts the sandstorm debuff

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bogart posted:

Better late than never, but it's Nevada Skies. For some reason, they decided sandstorms should tank perception, which means the courier can't think 'hey why did you bring me here' because there's so much fkn sand.

That's actually pretty hilarious image:

Ulysses: Blah blah blah try to be deep blah blah
COurier: SOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUCH SAAAAAND
Ulyusses: What?
Courier: Saaaaaaand! SAND! SAND! SAND!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
When a mod lists the ultimate edition of New Vegas as a requirement, is that a short way of saying that you need every single piece of DLC, or is there something else that makes the ultimate edition different? I kinda want to fire this up again, but I have the regular version of the game.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

When a mod lists the ultimate edition of New Vegas as a requirement, is that a short way of saying that you need every single piece of DLC, or is there something else that makes the ultimate edition different? I kinda want to fire this up again, but I have the regular version of the game.
The ultimate edition is just the base game with all the DLC. So it could just the author being "you need the game to use this mod", but probably in most cases it's "you need to all the DLCs".

Steam's summer sale should just be a couple of weeks away, but GoG has the ultimate edition on sale right now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gyshall posted:

Usually running out of memory, or other similar things. How many ESP/ESMs do you have in your Data\ folder?

like 90, less than I've used other times and no texture replacers or radio stations or whatever, so it can't be using more memory than last time I played. I guess I'll try reinstalling, if it still happens then maybe my computer's just about to melt

E: yep, deleted the whole thing, downloaded from steam,booted up and started a new game, 3FPS and black boxes within 5 minutes. Might start backing up some files...

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 3, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, New Vegas Interiors Project. I was TCL-ing around Freeside and discovered a whole apartment loft near the Strip Gate. I went up and then took the door downstairs, and it took me out to the doorway on the building to the left of the north gate. However, that door says "key required", but I used the console to unlock it, only for the door to not work and load the cell, only opening to a concrete wall. Everything else in the loft is also locked behind a Key and pretty much lacks functionality. Anyone know if this was just never finished or did I screw up?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Troubleshooting that steel behind suits issue I was having, and I'm having a hell of a time manually removing the suit effect that I think is the cause.

This should be the relevant bit, right?

I should just have to do

player.removespell [effect ID], correct? I've tried the id as a lot of stuff. I assume it'd be using my load order info and thus be 1E07C17B, that did not work. I tried it as 1D as well since that's what FNVedit seemed to think it was. I tried MS16EnchVaultSuitUtility. Nothing seems to be correct. Am I doing something dumb wrong here?

Doing a player.additem for the suit itself using 1E works fine so I dunno wtf.

edit: Apparently I put the patches for More Perks in a merge, hmm. Using that as the ID still doesn't work though.

Would it kill them to have a thing that just removes effects generically? Or the ability to click on stuff in the pipboy to call up it's IDs like you can NPCs? Blah.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 4, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capn Beeb posted:

It just means you need every single DLC, but that also means all the different pre-order edition DLC's which are currently sold in one 99 cent package called "The Courier's Stash," not just the story DLC

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

So that DUST Survival mod

I just tried it out, and I honestly think it's one of the worst mods I've ever played. Who is this for? Does anyone actually find this fun? I can make a survival mod with no dialogue and 50 enemies surround you too

also a big portion of it takes place in sewers, good job, everyone loves sewers.

choosing to play a survival game in the FNV engine is maybe not the best choice tbh

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57927/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't played without a freeside mod of some kind in a long time. Is vanilla freeside really this empty with absolutely no NPCs beyond unique ones like the rat chasing kids and named NPCs?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't played without a freeside mod of some kind in a long time. Is vanilla freeside really this empty with absolutely no NPCs beyond unique ones like the rat chasing kids and named NPCs?

yeah, ty console optimization

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty much. Stupid engine limitations.

It should be like the concept art or Freeside seen briefly in the comic with Benny and those Khans.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yep. One problem was obviously the memory limitation of the 360 & PS3. But the bigger problem was that the engine is hilariously bad at handling NPCs. It wasn't as bad as Oblivion (where disabling facial animation could easily double your FPS), but it's still quite bad for the time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's worth noting that the game shipped with a bunch more NPCs in places like Freeside and Primm, but they were stripped out in various patches due to the aforementioned console memory limitations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yeah, ty console optimization

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much. Stupid engine limitations.

It should be like the concept art or Freeside seen briefly in the comic with Benny and those Khans.

Raygereio posted:

Yep. One problem was obviously the memory limitation of the 360 & PS3. But the bigger problem was that the engine is hilariously bad at handling NPCs. It wasn't as bad as Oblivion (where disabling facial animation could easily double your FPS), but it's still quite bad for the time.

Right then. Back to RePopulated Wasteland it is. We're slowly reaching a point where almost every issue with New Vegas has been addressed, after seven years of crazed modders ripping the engine apart and putting it back together by hand. If someone made a fix for the floating revolver speedloaders, I'd love them. New Vegas Railroads was overall pretty great, apart from one guy's voice acting. Trainwiz is excellent, and the John Henry fight was surprisingly tense. I saw the spray of missiles from across the room come at me and went "oh poo poo".

One more story for you: Project Nevada centers your gun if you hip fire from first person view. I'm also using the mod First Person Weapon animations by that Hitman guy. How can I disable the gun centering in Project Nevada to use his animations instead? I went through the MCM menus for PN but I wasn't sure which one would make the switch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
DUST was poo poo from conception. As much as I've enjoyed New Vegas, I've never thought "hey you know what would make this better? A poopsock simulator!" Whilst playing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sweet a whole valley of ghouls, dust is really fun and cool lol

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Any idea what causes this?

Like a few minutes out of Goodpsprings all of a sudden the FPS slows to a crawl, the environment and the skybox half vanish, and the UI is replaced by black blocks.
This looks like the early stages of an attempt to build New Vegas in Morrowind's engine.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yes Man has achieved CHIM

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Gyshall posted:

DUST was poo poo from conception. As much as I've enjoyed New Vegas, I've never thought "hey you know what would make this better? A poopsock simulator!" Whilst playing.

sweet a whole valley of ghouls, dust is really fun and cool lol

I could never play DUST, not because of the difficulty, but because its just the opposite of the way I see the world. I like to think that by hundreds of years after a nuclear war the survivors would be rebuilding, forging a new society, and generally see the world as half full. DUST sees this as stupid, and thinks that it is totally impossible for anything good to happen, so it makes all societies collapse and acts like its the only logical outcome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you want Fallout to be that desolate and hopeless you either need to set the game directly after the bombs fell or not do it at all, because if poo poo was that bad there'd be no one left 200+ years later.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

I could never play DUST, not because of the difficulty, but because its just the opposite of the way I see the world. I like to think that by hundreds of years after a nuclear war the survivors would be rebuilding, forging a new society, and generally see the world as half full. DUST sees this as stupid, and thinks that it is totally impossible for anything good to happen, so it makes all societies collapse and acts like its the only logical outcome.

conversely dust says that it's meant to be a survival simulator and says gently caress the story, I bet FNV could stand on its gunplay and game mechanics alone :shepicide:

it's really really bad

e: did I mention the way you win every fight is the same way you win fnv fights? jump onto high rock, shoot man

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

conversely dust says that it's meant to be a survival simulator and says gently caress the story, I bet FNV could stand on its gunplay and game mechanics alone :shepicide:

So basically Dust is for people who thought Operation Anchorage was the best gameplay experience ever?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

So basically Dust is for people who thought Operation Anchorage was the best gameplay experience ever?

yep.

the same guy made a version for Fallout 4 called "Frost", now that I could see being good. FNV? maybe not.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

yep.

the same guy made a version for Fallout 4 called "Frost", now that I could see being good. FNV? maybe not.

This one also takes place shortly after the bombs drop, so at least it satisfies Lurdiak.

They're both horrifically unoptimized, so if it isn't the stacked "difficulty" that defers to pretty much everything killing you in one hit, it'll completely poo poo in your sandwich when the framerate tanks and you simply can't effectively play. Supposedly FROST is intended to get better, but where I guess DUST was just pushing the engine to the limits with irrationally aggressive spawn rates or something.

Long and short of it, unless you're the sort that just wants to shoot things, stay clear of the guy's mods. I would suggest steering clear anyway, because neither game has particularly compelling gunplay or anything. Heck, you won't even be doing much shooting for all the ammo you won't pick up. Basically melee or bust.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Ashsaber posted:

Doesn't DUST assume that Elijah won and went through with his plan of making the entire Mojave get Sierra Madre'd?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Ashsaber posted:

You just described how Obsidian and Black Isle saw post-apocalyptia versus how Bethesda sees it. :haw:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Halser posted:

Doesn't DUST assume that Elijah won and went through with his plan of making the entire Mojave get Sierra Madre'd?

From what I remember of the lore, it's something like the NCR got hold of some samples of the Cloud and accidentally released it in Vegas, at the same time there was a huge radioactive dust storm and the tunnelers from Lonesome Road started to show up in the Mojave, so everyone who could flee did (the mod seems to take place in a post-Yes Man Mojave)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Independent New Vegas COULD work ok as long as the Followers are mostly in charge.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The Followers are cool but they're never gonna get mainstream acceptance with a name like theirs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lurdiak posted:

If you want Fallout to be that desolate and hopeless you either need to set the game directly after the bombs fell or not do it at all, because if poo poo was that bad there'd be no one left 200+ years later.

alternatively you could play Tactics aka the post-nuclear fascism simulator and just imagine, given how awful the midwest is, how much worse it would be after the bombs fell

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

alternatively you could play Tactics aka the post-nuclear fascism simulator and just imagine, given how awful the midwest is, how much worse it would be after the bombs fell

would it really be worse

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Bogart posted:

Independent New Vegas COULD work ok as long as the Followers are mostly in charge.

They'd need tons of support though, aren't they already overwhelmed just handling Freeside?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Capn Beeb posted:

They'd need tons of support though, aren't they already overwhelmed just handling Freeside?

That's what the securitrons are for.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Capn Beeb posted:

They have good ideals, but are overstretched.

I'm not sure Securitrons would make for great surgeons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lurdiak posted:

That's what the securitrons are for.

And the Kings. The only King who is a real dick is Pacer, the rest of them are decent guys by Freeside's standards.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sorry, I didn't wanna turn this into ending chat. That said, House's Vegas boosted by the Followers, kept safe by the 'bots and the Kings, utilizing the Big MT tech sounds like one of the best endings for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

The whole point of the Followers is that they won't ever be in charge, they're the first and failed dialectical opposition to NCR's corruption. Caesar got frustrated so he formed the Legion as a reactionary rebuke to its meek humanism and impotence.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 6, 2017