Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
orwell thought that a constitutional monarchy is a bulwark against fascism because it allows people to exercise their leader-worship and nationalistic impulses around a figure with no real power. if people have a hard-wired predisposition to rally around the flag, it's better to wrap that flag around someone who is essentially a "waxwork," he wrote.

Karl Barks posted:

gently caress, just trumps ruling for centuries
that would be better. just send the trumps around america to cut ribbons at walmart opening ceremonies. they can beef with celebrities on twitter. do less damage that way.

Baloogan posted:

just look at the countries based around british rule, vs the rest of em :shrug:

something worked.
case in point: latin america

the U.S. presidential system is remarkable for being as stable as it has been and lasting this long -- and even persevered through a civil war (which was sparked by the election of a president).

such systems encourage polarization and winner-take-all politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And has many small dogs.

does she really? that sounds nice

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Baloogan posted:

You're a dumb communist he doesn't realize that the Russian Revolution failed entirely you cuck

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Karl Barks posted:

does she really? that sounds nice

She keeps corgis and they are just adorable.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

davey cameron is a pie

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

orwell thought that a constitutional monarchy is a bulwark against fascism because it allows people to exercise their leader-worship and nationalistic impulses around a figure with no real power. if people have a hard-wired predisposition to rally around the flag, it's better to wrap that flag around someone who is essentially a "waxwork," he wrote.

i like orwell btu this doesn't make sense. germany had a king, japan had an emperor

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the british monarch is a cute inoffensive little lady with adorable dogs and compassion for all and lol if you prefer trump or some genocidal commie to that imo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/871059260490362884

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

i like orwell btu this doesn't make sense. germany had a king, japan had an emperor

Germany's monarch got deposed after WWI and fled into exile in The Netherlands.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the british monarch is a cute inoffensive little lady with adorable dogs and compassion for all and lol if you prefer trump or some genocidal commie to that imo

On the other hand, Leopold II.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Karl Barks posted:

wasn't japan ruled by a dictatorship granted power by the emperor for like a thousand years

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

still a monarchy based on nothing but lineage

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ask the peasants if they prefered stalin to nicolas :)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

wasn't japan ruled by a dictatorship granted power by the emperor for like a thousand years
yeah japan's emperor and his family members were mixed up in politics. but there was a reason macarthur kept hirohito on the throne post-war (for stability) and then rewrote the japanese constitution to turn him into a figurehead

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if we're looking for examples of incredible monarchies ethiopia is a good one where no economic development ever took place because all land belonged to the emperor and reverted back to the emperor upon the death of the current emperor appointed viceroy and this nobody had any reason to improve their land

this continued for a thousand years straight until it was overthrown

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

Japan's emperors an odd bunch, and not many of them actually were powerful rulers in a way comparable to western monarchs. More commonly, they're closer to figureheads for the Shogun or whoever else is actually running things.

EDIT: Which is not to say that they were powerless, or that Hirohito in particular was just a pawn without any say in what his government was doing.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

still a monarchy based on nothing but lineage

They are cute dogs, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol loving hell ethiopia

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

tfw the bitch wont croak

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i dont' actually know if hes next in line

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Karl Barks posted:

i dont' actually know if hes next in line

boris johnson is next in line please do your research

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

the one on the left doesn't seem familiar

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the one on the left doesn't seem familiar

And I do hereby further declare all indentured Servants, Negroes, or others, (appertaining to Rebels,) free that are able and willing to bear Arms, they joining His MAJESTY'S Troops as soon as may be, for the more speedily reducing this Colony to a proper Sense of their Duty, to His MAJESTY'S Leige Subjects, to retain their Quitrents, or any other Taxes due or that may become due, in their own Custody, till such Time as Peace may be again restored to this at present most unhappy Country, or demanded of them for their former salutary Purposes, by Officers properly authorised to receive the same.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my favorite 'brand' of canadian anti-americanism is the decendants of loyalists who settled in canada

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/870569026304352258

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And I do hereby further declare all indentured Servants, Negroes, or others, (appertaining to Rebels,) free that are able and willing to bear Arms, they joining His MAJESTY'S Troops as soon as may be, for the more speedily reducing this Colony to a proper Sense of their Duty, to His MAJESTY'S Leige Subjects, to retain their Quitrents, or any other Taxes due or that may become due, in their own Custody, till such Time as Peace may be again restored to this at present most unhappy Country, or demanded of them for their former salutary Purposes, by Officers properly authorised to receive the same.

Yup, plenty of their descendants settled in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Does anyone else in Canada/Australia etc care about the Queen at all or is this just Baloogan

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

At least 1000, possibly something like 2500 depending on if the official records are bullshit (possible)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Does anyone else in Canada/Australia etc care about the Queen at all or is this just Baloogan

Yeah there's a bunch of old cucks that likes the queen and "tradition". I'm 85% positive they would change their mind if the queen was black

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

At least 1000, possibly something like 2500 depending on if the official records are bullshit (possible)

really? i know about the shogunate but nothing like that

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

has jk changed her tune on corb at all? haven't heard much since this:
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/856145924468482048

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/856146417693462529

also, lmao:
https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/871056785901277186

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

really? i know about the shogunate but nothing like that
Yeah the earliest one we know about for definite ruled at the turn of the 4th century AD and they trace their lineage back to the 7th century BC.

jBrereton has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Jun 3, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ohh crikey

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Fast Luck posted:

Australia's former PM decided to give Prince Philip a Knighthood and it helped end his career lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Yeah the earliest one we know about for definite ruled at the turn of the 4th century AD and they trace their lineage back to the 7th century BC.

got a link?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bryter posted:

Australia's former PM decided to give Prince Philip a Knighthood and it helped end his career lol

worth remembering that eating an onion skin on like it was an apple didn't manage it lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

got a link?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_%C5%8Cjin enjoy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i dont get this

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006