Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a thing you can send to someone that hasn't played for a while to incentivize them to play again? Sort of like the old scroll of resurrection in WoW?

You can give people on your friend list who aren't currently subscribed a few free weeks of play. I can't remember what the other qualifications for it are as far as things like how long their account has to be inactive for go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

JT Jag posted:

So if you're in one of the Goon FCs on Excalibur and you're looking for a raid group for the new Stormblood content, I never was able to find one during Heavensward and, being the idiot I am, thought I might as well just make one from scratch with no experience whatsoever

You can find it and sign up if you're interested (god, why would you be) on the new offsite forums, here: http://catgirl.bargains/topic/17-new-squad/

No experience statics are the best statics

Count me in

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. like WHM gets some pretty sweet buffs. 2 minutes off Bene, 30 seconds off Assize, Thin Air.

Thin Air and the Benny is good

but 30s off Assize is close to enough to make me keep the faith with it as my main.

I'm giving Red Mage a solid spin before making a solid choice on that front though. I'm not really interested in Samurai even though I have Monk gear for days hanging around spare.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's funny because WHM is going to be a loving monster in dungeons just because of thin air. I'd rather they tie lillies to rocks and a dot on top of cure and cure 2, since you shouldn't be spamming medica 1 or 2 and regen ticks giving you lillies would probably be op as poo poo.

Also gently caress fluid aura doing damage and gently caress you for using it in dungeons. Yes, you. Stop it. You are the definition of the idiot running in yelling "I'M HELPING" and loving it all up.

lmao WHM was already a beast in dungeons without Thin Air, they just had to balance Holy and Shroud (or bring their Bard girlfriend with them when possible, in my case).

Regen ticks giving you lillies would be OP, agreed. But not casts. It should totally be there with Cure and Cure 2 for the silly lilly system.

Farg posted:

i made a solemn oath to never stop using fluid aura on CD. this won't change.

^5

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Also gently caress fluid aura doing damage and gently caress you for using it in dungeons. Yes, you. Stop it. You are the definition of the idiot running in yelling "I'M HELPING" and loving it all up.

I use fluid aura to push the ranged mob into the pack. dwi :smugdog:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And another finger curls on the monkey's paw. Thanks Melee guys. :argh:

Half the duration, twice the recast time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

n..nooooo :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This really fucks over gatherers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's so stupid. At most, make it that way in combat and as it is now out of combat.

I mean, I don't usually use Sprint anyway so I don't care too much personally but still.

e: ↓ poo poo hadn't thought of that. the best skill in the game just gets better

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 3, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Assize also got buffed with the Cleric Stance changes since you are now getting both decent damage and a decent heal at the same time.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't mind WHM losing a bunch of buttons and having to get them back with role actions at all (well, it'd be nice if Esuna or something was just automatically there for everyone), but I'm as skeptical as everyone else about the lily mechanic.

Maybe the lilies are meant to be a consolation prize of sorts? Like they're not intended to be popping up in normal dungeon content, but if you're ever in a situation bad enough that you find yourself spamming cure spells rather than relying on HoTs and otherwise dealing damage, the lilies kick in and give you a boost to the point that maybe you'll need to throw less cures in the next minute or two?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It's funny because WHM is going to be a loving monster in dungeons just because of thin air. I'd rather they tie lillies to rocks and a dot on top of cure and cure 2, since you shouldn't be spamming medica 1 or 2 and regen ticks giving you lillies would probably be op as poo poo.

Regen triggering the lilies would probably the thing that makes most sense if your intent is to have consistent use of a mechanic. Just give it an internal cooldown so it doesn't trigger more than once every 15 seconds or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

If only there were such a thing as a chocobo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

How so, if you don't mind me asking? If it's travel time wouldn't the Mount speed changes be a gain?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

How so, if you don't mind me asking? If it's travel time wouldn't the Mount speed changes be a gain?

Yeah, most of the time running between two nodes wouldn't be worth popping a mount, but with the speed increase it probably totally is.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For what purpose? To make running through Limsa worse?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a savage blow to PotD

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Skaw posted:

You can give people on your friend list who aren't currently subscribed a few free weeks of play. I can't remember what the other qualifications for it are as far as things like how long their account has to be inactive for go.

Well poo poo, I was hoping to get one sent to me but I have no idea if anyone I was actually friends with still plays :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Regen triggering the lilies would probably the thing that makes most sense if your intent is to have consistent use of a mechanic. Just give it an internal cooldown so it doesn't trigger more than once every 15 seconds or something.

It wouldn't, though. The purpose of lillies is to get you to cast worse spells in order to use your monster spells faster. Adding it to regen encourages you to just regen instead because regen is already loving great.

Adding it to rocks makes it so if it's not advantageous to spam cure (which happens a lot between regen, medica 2, and your instant cast big heals like bene and tetra, especially if you've already got a freecure proc to sit on) you can still get lillies without being useless, and with the change to cleric stance you'd want to be casting rocks anyway. It encourages healers to dps and ties their rotation together much more nicely. You'd fall into a rotation of using your big spells, tossing out some regens, then dpsing to build up for the next big burst of healing needed, and if more healing than that is required, you're throwing around cure 1 and freecures among your hots anyway, along with a medica or two if it's really loving heavy healing.

Also medica 1 should probably give lillies too, so that it synergizes a little better with aoe. It'd have to be a much lower proc chance to make up for all the targets, but it'd actually allow assize to fit better into large aoe heal dumps, and with medica's cost you can either choose to thin air for mana efficiency while spamming big group heals through rough patches in fights or thin air for holy spamming adds phases or trash pulls. Medica's mana cost is too prohibitive for you to spam it just for lillies outside of that.

I'm pretty tentative about adding it to stuff outside of rocks, though, until I see how their water shield works out in practice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

For what purpose? To make running through Limsa worse?

I assume the fact that it is now something that everyone can use in combat and thus is no longer optional means that they're trying to balance it around that fact rather than giving everyone the big advantage that casters had. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if SB content has requires sprint moments or something.

(They should really allow for infinite sprinting in cities though.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They do! In the original 3, if you played 1.0. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Have I missed any story after the conclusion of Baelsar's Wall or whatever that dungeon was called? Debating coming back before Stormblood launches, I haven't kept up in several months and know nearly nothing about what's coming.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Have I missed any story after the conclusion of Baelsar's Wall or whatever that dungeon was called? Debating coming back before Stormblood launches, I haven't kept up in several months and know nearly nothing about what's coming.

Nope, that's it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If you quit in 3.5 they added like another 30-40 minutes of MSQ after the Baelsar cliffhanger in 3.56

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

There was a small patch after Baelsar's wall, with an hour or two of quests. No dungeons or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Okay wow that's actually really dumb.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

homeless snail posted:

If you quit in 3.5 they added like another 30-40 minutes of MSQ after the Baelsar cliffhanger in 3.56

Including a :krad: cutscene where things are all pew pew pew and boom and swoosh and 'wow the Garleans know how to build a wall.'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, I haven't seen that 30-40 minutes but I think I'll hold out until launch. I intend to level RDM first thing anyway (he says knowing full well it'll be a loving shitshow trying to level that first, but oh well)

What do we know so far about how RDM plays, if anything? I only know some info was dropped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, I haven't seen that 30-40 minutes but I think I'll hold out until launch. I intend to level RDM first thing anyway (he says knowing full well it'll be a loving shitshow trying to level that first, but oh well)

What do we know so far about how RDM plays, if anything? I only know some info was dropped.

Basically:

You have a mechanic called chainspell where you cast one spell and then the next one has a reduced cast time. You used ranged spells to build up black or white mana and then use special melee attacks using that mana, with the goal being trying to keep black and white roughly equal so you'll have varying rotations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The second spell is legitimately instant. Basically, you have permanent swiftcast after a non-instant spell so you can get two spells off in one GCD.

It looks drat fun.

e: I say permanent, it obviously will wear off, i just mean you get to swiftcast constantly

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 3, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the fact that it is now something that everyone can use in combat and thus is no longer optional means that they're trying to balance it around that fact rather than giving everyone the big advantage that casters had. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if SB content has requires sprint moments or something.

Make it so that Sprint instantly goes off cooldown if you're not in combat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

If only there were such a thing as a chocobo.

It's usually faster and requires less button presses to just sprint between close nodes. Plus you can sprint while stealthed, which is useful for a lot of items like camphorwood. When you're grinding you want to squeeze out as much efficiency as you can get.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

So when are they going to put these in the cash shop?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh no the poor gatherers they can only make a billion gil an hour instead of 1.1 billion i think they'll manage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Basically:

You have a mechanic called chainspell where you cast one spell and then the next one has a reduced cast time. You used ranged spells to build up black or white mana and then use special melee attacks using that mana, with the goal being trying to keep black and white roughly equal so you'll have varying rotations.

Sounds like fun. I'm glad they actually made it a melee/magic mix. Can't wait to try it!

(oh god so many fates are in my future)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Basically:

Though you'll want one slightly higher than the other because the Red Mage's finishers have a proc based off one mana type being higher than the other.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So will we get a bunch of white/black mana red mages?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leal posted:

So will we get a bunch of white/black mana red mages?

Maybe, but it's doubtful since You need both in order to use their Melee combos. A greater concern will be melee specced Red Mages, they'll be the ones who completely fail to grasp their job's entire gimmick.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm not sure you've been talking about this at all but the official forums rep has said they're passing on consolidated feedback about White Mage to the devs for 4.0

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/325411?p=4173226#post4173226

I kind of think it'd be too late for it to be in for 4.0 but fingers crossed they can fix the train wreck.

At least this shows that they're probably at least aware they messed up with WHM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

every time they make megaposts like that it's to make forum moderation easier and not to be useful

• Locked thread