Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was going to say that Sonic the Hedgehog should just be like a Bugs Bunny cartoon (and the original animated series was in fact like this), but then you mentioned that a dark, edgy Bugs Bunny cartoon actually existed

I've felt for a long time that Sonic needs another redesign, and I feel like he should be made to look like an old timey cartoon character:

Which, to be fair, is how he looked like in the first place, honestly.

Those designs are simply spectacular. I feel that any redesign of Sonic should be "philosophically" aligned with what I'd say is the truest essense of the character: charming, heroic, brave and friendly. That's what makes the Sonic Mania pre-purchase trailer hit the spot so perfectly: the design of Sonic in the animation captures just that archetype. Which is something Sonic's modern abomination of a design doesn't come even close to achieving. But the original Sonic sketches do, and so does the opening sequence of Sonic CD, for example.

That redesign you posted "feels right" because, even though it is different, it still captures Sonic's essence (or archetype, or soul) perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i wouldn't bet against it

If it doesn't make Akira Toriyama wanna sue somebody I don't want it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The updated super sonic sprites in sonic 3 C look awesome as hell.

For the uninitiated they didn't redo anything perse they just fixed sonic's sprites to reflect his standing up spines where they forgot to/weren't able to in-game so it's 100% consistent now (looking up, spinning, flipping towards the camera, faux-gliding like knuckles, etc)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FyraeArt/status/870374186761560066

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I appreciate small Big.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I appreciate small Big.

Small the Big the Cat

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was going to say that Sonic the Hedgehog should just be like a Bugs Bunny cartoon (and the original animated series was in fact like this), but then you mentioned that a dark, edgy Bugs Bunny cartoon actually existed

I've felt for a long time that Sonic needs another redesign, and I feel like he should be made to look like an old timey cartoon character:

Which, to be fair, is how he looked like in the first place, honestly.

The artist's reimagining of Silver rules really hard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DizzyBum posted:

Small the Big the Cat

Big the Smalls

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Big confirmed playable in Mania!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Schwarzwald posted:

Marble Garden is the only Sonic 3 level without water.

...and off the top of my head, there's no water at all in S&K. Weird how that turned out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

...and off the top of my head, there's no water at all in S&K. Weird how that turned out.

If I had to guess, I'd say they made a point of having a lot of water in Sonic 3 because they let Tails swim, and they wanted to opportunities for the players to see that. Since Tails isn't playable in default & Knuckles, they didn't feel the need to have any more water than they already did.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I played S&K long before I played Sonic 3, and so it always sort of confused me as to what the purpose of the Bubble shield was in a game that had no underwater portions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Heaven Spacey posted:

The artist's reimagining of Silver rules really hard.

Jon Gray was a former artist on the Archie Sonic Comic who left for reasons. Was a pretty cool dude. But his work on the mainline book was unfortunate. He also did this CoIE-inspired thing

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
If nothing else, the Bubble Shield in non-water places gives you that bitchin' bounce-jump. But yeah it has no reason to exist overall in a place without water.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
lol at Shadow's villain mustache

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Those designs are pretty neat buy I associate sonic far too much with fun colourful landscapes to really want to see a game based around classic black & white animation.

Omega re-imagined as Dusty Bin tho...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Andre Banzai posted:

but what I really hate in that level is the music. It is detestable. What an obnoxious, insufferable tune.

I cannot let this go by uncommented on. What the hot holy gently caress, my dude, carnival night is tops

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic 3's invincibility music is awful and S&K's isn't much better.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Not to mention only 5 seconds long so having it on loop as you go in to super form can cause one to go insane.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Schwarzwald posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say they made a point of having a lot of water in Sonic 3 because they let Tails swim, and they wanted to opportunities for the players to see that. Since Tails isn't playable in default & Knuckles, they didn't feel the need to have any more water than they already did.

Flying Battery being intended for Sonic 3 kinda messes this up tho

Adding water for emphasis on Bubble shield is my guess

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ventana posted:

Flying Battery being intended for Sonic 3 kinda messes this up tho

Adding water for emphasis on Bubble shield is my guess

Having five out of seven zones have water isn't that much drier than having five out of six.

They had mechanics that worked with water and so they made a point to feature waters in their levels.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I always thought it weird that Mushroom Valley doesn't have water. It felt like the winter phase would have gone well with a little.

Ronnie posted:

Not to mention only 5 seconds long so having it on loop as you go in to super form can cause one to go insane.
The S3C fix for this is so crucial.

Need Taxman to do a port of S3C, creating the perfect implementation.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not a comic person but I read the first two Mega Drive comics recently. They were really fun, charming, and funny. I don't get why each part is volume #1 but that's okay.

So then out of curiosity I picked up the Mega Man and Sonic crossover set and it's super weird. Each chapter re-introduces each character and has a bunch of asterisks with editor's footnotes on where to read the reference. It makes sense for past comics but that's already gratuitous. In an omnibus version I don't see why these couldn't be edited out when it's something I just saw. Maybe it's just a comic books thing? Much of the presentation is of course designed to sell more comics. Sonic's side seems stuck in the story of the TV show from 20 years ago for some reason, but like, all the games still happened or something. Between the really specific references from games on both sides and submitted fan art from elementary school kids, I have no idea who that comic is even for. Fun in some ways, but not my thing.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 3, 2017

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Andre Banzai posted:

Wow, I didn't know this Cybershell guy. His videos on Sonic are absolutely incredible. Informative, entertaining and he clearly really loves the franchise. SSS++, super perfect content, recommended.

Thanks bud

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Cybershell posted:

Thanks bud

Post the Flicky bonus video

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm not as big into Cybershell these days, but I will say that reading the classic Sonic megathread when the paywall definitely was down was definitely a distinct part of my teen years. Hell, I even burned the fan remixes that aren't available anywhere anymore to a CD (but I lost the CD).

Docfuture too. I always get a kick about telling people who know about his funky Kong ASMR video about Sonic 2 Special Edition.

E: Unrelated, but I've been thinking about running a fate core game in the reboot Archie universe. But I need to do more brainstorming, and need to find people who would play that that also wouldn't get into conflicts about sonic opinions.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 3, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShayMay_/status/871021866152075266

I always feel kind of sad when the (old) archie stuff gets posted because I grew up with an amazing Sonic comic that is more or less forgotten now, while that nonsense clusterfuck with a million echidnas lives on in the hearts of man.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I remember reading about how even back in the 90s, the writers realized the Amy in canon was a bit 2-dimensional, and expanded her character and made her more of a tough tomboy who used a crossbow. I can attest to British women I know who found her inspirational as kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mikedawson posted:

I remember reading about how even back in the 90s, the writers realized the Amy in canon was a bit 2-dimensional, and expanded her character and made her more of a tough tomboy who used a crossbow. I can attest to British women I know who found her inspirational as kids.

To be fair like at the time wasn't Amy-in-canon like a five second bit in Sonic CD and nothing else?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The best incarnation of Amy for me is still how she's written under Ian Flynn. She's smitten but not obsessive, and allowed to be a warrior and still be girly.

The StC incarnation felt like they were trying too hard.

But that's my opinion of Sonic in that book too, so.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

https://twitter.com/ShayMay_/status/871021866152075266

I always feel kind of sad when the (old) archie stuff gets posted because I grew up with an amazing Sonic comic that is more or less forgotten now, while that nonsense clusterfuck with a million echidnas lives on in the hearts of man.

Fortunately all of the Echidnas got erased from existence, so it's back to just Knuckles. Good riddance.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Mikedawson posted:

Hell, I even burned the fan remixes that aren't available anywhere anymore to a CD (but I lost the CD).
Even a passing mention of the old viper.fox remixes is enough for me to post my re-upload again

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Richard Elson's art in Sonic The Comic is absolutely fantastic. There's a lot of detail and texture while still maintaining a cartoony style. You can deffo see his background as an artist for 2000AD shine through.

The real shame about STC was how it ended: Fleetway stopped producing new stories because they thought issues filled entirely with reprints would sell just as well. They did not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I may mostly talk about the Archie comic but I do have an appreciation for StC. It has its own take on the canon, Sonic being a hilarious dick is quite the take when the Archie one couldn't be more of a Super Hero, and of course there's all the weird things they did which was just so interesting.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I decided to watch a speedrun of Sonic Generations and jesus christ what a beautiful game, I do not understand the haters at all.

Then decided to watch a walktrough of Sonic 4, lmao, what the gently caress. I can forgive the level design because well, they tried, but the music is so uninspired.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Heran Bago posted:

Sonic's side seems stuck in the story of the TV show from 20 years ago for some reason, but like, all the games still happened or something.

iirc this is basically what happened. Like I think what happened is that SatAM Robotnik was the big bad for a while, then he died or something and current Eggman (who was either like a clone or a robot or something) took over being evil but both are canon? It's strange and I honestly wish the comic dropped its tv show roots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

So then out of curiosity I picked up the Mega Man and Sonic crossover set and it's super weird. Each chapter re-introduces each character and has a bunch of asterisks with editor's footnotes on where to read the reference. It makes sense for past comics but that's already gratuitous. In an omnibus version I don't see why these couldn't be edited out when it's something I just saw. Maybe it's just a comic books thing? Much of the presentation is of course designed to sell more comics. Sonic's side seems stuck in the story of the TV show from 20 years ago for some reason, but like, all the games still happened or something. Between the really specific references from games on both sides and submitted fan art from elementary school kids, I have no idea who that comic is even for. Fun in some ways, but not my thing.

One of the big goals of the Megaman crossover comic was to reset all of that at the end and provide a reboot to Sonic continuity so they could start fresh without all the bullshit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only copy of the comic i ever bought as a kid was about all the chaos emeralds getting sucked into a wormhole, because there were billions for some reason, so they could get forged into 7 like in the games

Also a turtle died or something

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto posted:

The only copy of the comic i ever bought as a kid was about all the chaos emeralds getting sucked into a wormhole, because there were billions for some reason, so they could get forged into 7 like in the games

Also a turtle died or something

Yeah that was the tail end of some awful stuff.

Frankly, reading 1-50 is harmless enough for the Archie comic. Starts off slapstick Looney Tunes'ish, eventually decides to pick up a plot and run with it. Melodramatic, sure, but entertaining enough.

Anything between 51 and...uh...*checks*...160 is where you run the risk of touching the Ken Penders poop. As he got more prominent in the company, the stories got weirder, and dumber, and creepier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drat. I didn't realize he was involved with it for that long. There must be a lot of unintentional hilarity in those 100 issues.