Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If you're gonna get killed by Mount St. Helens, make your corpse as useful as possible:

quote:

On the morning of May 18, he was within a few miles of the summit. When the mountain exploded, Landsburg took photos of the rapidly approaching ash cloud. He then rewound the film back into its case, put his camera in his backpack, and then laid himself on top of the backpack in an attempt to protect its contents.[5] Seventeen days later, Landsburg's body was found buried in the ash with his backpack underneath. The film was developed and has provided geologists with valuable documentation of the historic eruption.[5]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress me that is hardcore "for science!"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Red Faction II was such a fun game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Which is why I said it was for propaganda purposes - the race up to about 2 MT was on fairly sound ground but beyond that it was just willy-waving. Even the Soviets realised they were going too far once it was done, the design of the Tsar Bomba allowed it to go up to 100MT but they scaled it back just because there was no way of delivering it without killing the crew.

Thermonuclear weapons in the multi-megaton range use a staged design to produce their power. A "small" primary fission device, which would generate maybe a few kilotons' blast on its own, is used to ignite a fusion reaction in a secondary charge of fusion fuel. That fusion reaction generates a lot of energy as well, but more importantly, it creates a vast number of neutrons. The neutrons are used to induce further fission in a much larger "jacket" of fissionable material (which, due to the energy involved, can be something cheap like natural uranium-238) around the bomb. That enormous third-stage fission reaction is what produces the majority of the weapon's power -- and fallout.

Anyway, the Tsar Bomba was designed to use that layered strategy to produce its 100 megatons. To scale it down to 50 megatons, much of the fissionable uranium jacket was replaced with lead. That meant that the vast majority of its energy was produced by the second-stage fusion reaction, making it paradoxically one of the cleanest nuclear tests (certainly for its size) in history.

:science:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
So it sounds like if I ever find myself splashed with liquid Oxygen I should immediately wash it off with liquid Nitrogen.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Evilreaver posted:

I saw an OSHA report that someone was smoking in a high-oxygen environment, stomped on the cig to put it out, and the rubber/leather work boots promptly caught fire, and then the rest of him caught fire.

Yeah they were using pure oxygen from a tank to purge fumes out of a ship's bulkhead where they were painting.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Going up!

https://i.imgur.com/meufElU.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

An elevator malfunctioning in the most horrific unsafe way imaginable? Must be China.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Related, one of the more harrowing bits of history from the Mount St. Helens eruption:

I guess the OSHA in this instance is to stay well the gently caress away from geologically active sites.

Woo boy! You're might like Steve Olson's book "Eruption: The Untold Story of Mount St. Helens"! Unless you've read it already. Not sure if it's OSHA, but there was evacuation orders for Mount St. Helen, but everyone ignored them. :v: Either for want of a firsthand look at an eruption, or not believing Big Science for saying 'hey this poo poo will blow soon....'

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

...Bare hands?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ignoranus posted:

...Bare hands?

If that is that guy's full-time job, you know he has a C-shaped callus half an inch thick on both hands already

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ignoranus posted:

...Bare hands?

...the danger of getting too close to the spool and getting wound around it so tightly that his family gives up and buries him in a cylindrical coffin?

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
You don't wear gloves in a situation like that. Or watches, rings, etc.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Don't you normally have a machine that does it for you?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have a manservant named “Enrique” who does it for you

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

:australia: ?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I was guessing QLD but it turned out to be in Sydney. Also the staff were aware of the issue but weren't overly concerned:

quote:

What he was surprised about though, is that the management at the petrol station had only placed an orange traffic cone at the pump which the snake now calls home.

Mr Heist said the staff knew about the snake and he told them they should put a sign up as well warning people.

‘While I was inside getting coffee I saw other people pull up and do the same thing – they could have arranged it better,’ he said.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

It's just a python. Probably happy as larry inside the nice warm pump housing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:stonk:

A British tourist has lost muscle and skin on her left leg after it became entangled in a rope on a yacht off the Queensland coast.

RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter were called to the 50-year-old woman's aid on Saturday afternoon just off Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays.

Air crewman Lee Jones-Fraser said they were originally told it had been an amputation.

"She got her leg caught in a rope and somehow that rope either moved or she got dragged across the guard rail where the higher-tension stainless steel wires are," Mr Jones-Fraser said.

"What happened were the muscles on her leg were degloved ... she had some pretty traumatic injuries in terms of muscle and tissue loss."

The helicopter's doctor and paramedics had to take a small boat from the beach to the yacht about 500 metres off shore.

Mr Jones-Fraser said once the woman was stabilised on the vessel she was brought back to the helicopter and flown to Mackay Base Hospital, arriving about 7:30pm.

"She was distressed because she was still in a lot of pain," he said.

Mr Jones-Fraser said it was the first time many of the crew had been confronted with such an incident.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-04/womans-leg-degoved-yacht-incident-off-queensland-coast/8587936

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Synthbuttrange posted:

"She was distressed because she was still in a lot of pain," he said.

putting it mildly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The rare reverse kiilautumisvaara.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Political cartoons get worse and worse.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

StarMinstrel posted:

For those that have the Supervolcanoes itch, check this bit done by Astronomy Cast. Link is the transcript, video is well.... the video of the podcast.
http://www.astronomycast.com/2017/02/astronomy-cast-ep-440-destroy-and-rebuild-pt-4-supervolcanoes/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrc15fzf_nk

I love how gleeful she is in describing the devastation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleSausage posted:

I love how gleeful she is in describing the devastation.

Most of the "Destroy and Rebuild" series had Fraser disclaiming Pamela's love for destruction at the beginning of the episode. It's hilarious how much she gets in to it.

Also for anyone who's coming across this and has never heard of Astronomy Cast before, if you like astronomy and related subjects you''ll probably like it. The Youtube videos are the raw recording from their live stream so they'll often be rough (like the linked video launching basically right in to Fraser typing), the podcast form is actually edited.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

I mean what's with the hair :confused:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has breasts? I AM A BAD GIRL :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those bad girls sound p awesome to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Those bad girls sound p awesome to me.

Smokes, drinks, goes to Goa? No thank you 0/5 would not fac.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LBR smoking the only reprehensible thing on that chart

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Those perfect polygonal rotis are way more impressive than round ones anyway.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Going down, actually.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/AE47F5h.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"Oh no, we forgot to bring water and brushes!"