Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

enraged_camel posted:

I would kill for a piece of tech and/or some mechanism that reduces caravan travel time, especially during the winter.

Some kind of vehicle should be added to the later end of research. It could use chemfuel, require a roof or garage when not in use, risk of breakdown after extended use. If you can build a ship to blast off the planet, a carriage should be manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

There should definitely be a vehicle progression. Start out with your hauling beasties as you have now, then travois and sleds, then drawn wagons, then powered stuff.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

enraged_camel posted:

I would kill for a piece of tech and/or some mechanism that reduces caravan travel time, especially during the winter.

Why walk when you can drop pod instantly?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Why walk when you can drop pod instantly?

I don't think you can drop pod back. I may be wrong though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Look at this guy that doesn't drop pod in enough materials to drop pod back lmao

Edit: Just thought of something interesting. Are raids tied to seasons in any way? like summer raids would be the most common because the weather is the best and you have the most food, but if you get raided in winter, the raiders would be more desperate and probably not flee after a few of them die. Maybe they'd be in worse shape too, with less gear and more ragged stuff.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 2, 2017

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
To that end I've never drop podded myself and I'm quivering about how the details works. Like Pod 101. Is it as easy as point and move?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

A Moose posted:

Edit: Just thought of something interesting. Are raids tied to seasons in any way?
no

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GodspeedSphere posted:

To that end I've never drop podded myself and I'm quivering about how the details works. Like Pod 101. Is it as easy as point and move?

It's not complicated. Just save your game and drop pod a guy onto a tile one space away if you want to see how it works.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

Build a pod launcher (misc menu) and load it with some chemfuel.

Once that's done, build a pod (misc menu) in its launch spot.

Then select the pod and load an unlucky fellow, and pick what items they want.

They will take a few minutes hauling the items to the pod.

Once done, they will get in the pod and you will get a message saying launch is ready.

Select the pod, click the launch icon, which will take you to the world screen. Then select the tile you want it to land. Keep in mind your range is limited.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No but if the outside temperature isn't survivable, raids won't come. So if you have an extremely cold outside temperature for example and even parkas won't protect against it, you won't generally get raided by humans.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you'll get raided by mechanoids instead

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

enraged_camel posted:

No, but there was an A16 mod that would let you "land" your drop pod in a launcher if there was one in the destination

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

you'll get raided by mechanoids instead

Yep.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

edit: nvm this'll start poo poo

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 2, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Swedish Horror posted:

edit: nvm this'll start poo poo

Jesus christ

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is there any way to see a record of previous notifications in the game? like I got a caravan request for 2 LMGs from someone but I can't remember who

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is the unstable branch in steam A17?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A17 was officially released a while ago, it should be the main branch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A Moose posted:

Is there any way to see a record of previous notifications in the game? like I got a caravan request for 2 LMGs from someone but I can't remember who

i think the overworld map will have flags denoting active offers?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I got super lucky with a drop pod, which gave me an industrious + steadfast space miner. The dude is a beast. Also has the abrasive trait, but he spends all of his waking hours inside mining tunnels digging away by himself so he hasn't started a fight with anyone yet!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Despite being visually minimal, this game can sure get gristly when I accidentally shoot someone's jaw or head off.

I'm excited to tech-up enough so I can turn my disfigured veterans into super soldiers, deus ex style.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I got super lucky with a drop pod, which gave me an industrious + steadfast space miner. The dude is a beast. Also has the abrasive trait, but he spends all of his waking hours inside mining tunnels digging away by himself so he hasn't started a fight with anyone yet!

If he causes a problem just set his schedule so he sleeps from morning to afternoon. Working third shift will mean his contact with others is minimal and it takes most of the sting out of abrasive, annoying voice, and other dumb poo poo that people throw fists over.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think Green Thumb is probably one of the best traits a pawn can start with. One of my starting colonists had Green Thumb, Industrious, and Fast Walker with good mining, construction, growing and even a little cooking and he does basically everything all the time with a smile. I didn't even use any mods to get this guy, and with minimal re-rolling too. Almost makes up for the pacifist pyro I accidentally rescued from raiders...

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I recently had an Ibex Doe join the colony. I have a poo poo load of hay stockpiled so I just put it in the Muffalo area. I checked the Ibex information to see if it could carry items in a caravan and saw that they're good at headbutting.

So I trained it and let it follow my best hunter around. A while later, a poison ship landed and I sent this hunter and another guy out with sniper rifles. The ship had a Scyther and three centipedes. The Scyther started running at us, we got off a couple shots and took off at least one arm with the shots.

The Ibex went straight for the Scyther and started head butting while my snipers fell back for more shots and we were only able to shoot one more time before the Ibex took the Scyther down. Now I just need a new rear leg for my Ibex.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or are torn off fingers/thumbs really common? Almost every one of my colonists is missing at least one digit right now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

wilderthanmild posted:

Is it just me or are torn off fingers/thumbs really common? Almost every one of my colonists is missing at least one digit right now.

They have really low health, so one lucky hit can pop one off. This problem is easily fixable with a decent stock of plasteel and EPOE though :awesomelon:

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I have a wake-up addicted warden that is constantly on the verge of a break unless I make him smoke a joint. However, every time he smokes a joint he loses consciousness. Am I stuck with this constant cycle of passing out until he recovers from his addiction?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Schwza posted:

I have a wake-up addicted warden that is constantly on the verge of a break unless I make him smoke a joint. However, every time he smokes a joint he loses consciousness. Am I stuck with this constant cycle of passing out until he recovers from his addiction?

He won't recover if you keep letting him smoke it. You need to keep him away from it and have him go into withdrawal.

The problem is it takes forever to cure addictions like that, and they keep wrecking poo poo up until it happens. So it might be better to keep a regular supply and just let him have it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Smoking weed is fine if he's sweating out wake-up, smokeleaf has a really low addictiveness, so you can probably have him off wake-up long before he gets addicted to smokeleaf.

Also yeah he's pretty much useless until it's out of his system

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Psychology mod has a cheap drug, methadone, which is designed to help pawns get off addictions by negating the withdrawal mood hit so they don't go around smashing poo poo up. Unfortunately it's not updated for A17.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Just had a manhunter turkey pack take out a siege before I could even get my snipers out of the base. Thanks Randy!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

beerinator posted:

Just had a manhunter turkey pack take out a siege before I could even get my snipers out of the base. Thanks Randy!

Clearly you should make that day a holiday and call it Thanksgiving.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Mortars own now. I managed to cripple several raids and sieges thanks to the new accuracy buff.

One thing I'd love is a "clear plants zone". It would be nice to be able to maintain fire breaks and/or clear zones where no cover can grow for raiders.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Floors work for that.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Mortars own now. I managed to cripple several raids and sieges thanks to the new accuracy buff.

I noticed this too. I'm assuming this means it's more accurate for Siegers too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Floors work for that.

Yeah that's what concrete is for.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

I noticed this too. I'm assuming this means it's more accurate for Siegers too?

From what I can tell, yes. They doubly improved the Siegers because they also improved their target selection. They now are better about targeting your colonists specifically.

They also fire faster, which helps both sides, all these things combined really make sieges much more dangerous imo.

Flesh Forge posted:

Floors work for that.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's what concrete is for.

For the firebreak it works, but for defenses I'd like to just be able to tell them always cut any plants in this zone. I don't want to give them the slight speed boost form the floored terrain.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 3, 2017

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

From what I can tell, yes. They doubly improved the Siegers because they also improved their target selection. They now are better about targeting your colonists specifically.

They also fire faster, which helps both sides, all these things combined really make sieges much more dangerous imo.

For the firebreak it works, but for defenses I'd like to just be able to tell them always cut any plants in this zone. I don't want to give them the slight speed boost form the floored terrain.

Someone needs to mod growing zones to have a "grow nothing but keep this area clear" setting

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Does anyone know which XML the "Pay X to request a caravan" is in? Because I think Tynan has over compensated a bit on the price increase and I'd love to reduce it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
new version borked my save :smith:

e: nevermind, my save was doomed anyways because everyone got horrible plague.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 4, 2017