Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So the AM index includes Renegades and Traitors, looks like once you get that you can include traitor guard in your chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Frontline Games has the Dark Imperium Box Set for $136 with free shipping. Are they a pretty legit site?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm still trying to decide if I want to update my 4th ed. Night Lords army or start something else. I built them for fast movements. Lots of Raptors, every squad had a Rhino, and a winged Lord. Worth sticking with it in 8th, or more fun to build up something else maybe?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Geoff Zahn posted:

Frontline Games has the Dark Imperium Box Set for $136 with free shipping. Are they a pretty legit site?

They're the people that have been writing the faction focuses, which have been pretty cheesy, but I guess legit.

But yeah, their business side is legit too, I've ordered from them a few too many times.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Geoff Zahn posted:

They're the biggest independent online retailer of Warhammer stuff and also the people who run the ITC. They are probably the most legit.

Edit: Just prepaid for my Dark Imperium box. Gonna wait on the Space Marine Index. My store is doing a raffle to win your choice of Dark Imperium box, Index set, or store credit.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 3, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am peeved that the bone sword on the hive tyrant isn't better, and/or doesn't synergize with the scything talons in any way. The Bonerwhip is kind of lame too. If you want CC you are better off with twin-scything, which is also a ton cheaper.

That and the flyrants go to weapon is now the deathspitter. 12 points for +1S/-1AP shots is a no brainer.

Old One Eye is legit. 5 attacks rerolling 1s, hitting on 2+, with the berzerk rule means he should have problem getting out 8-9 hits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing specified, units that can attack twice per fight phase, is it two in a row or you fight once, your opponent chooses a unit, then you can choose them again.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Artum posted:

Excellent job adapting that knight pic, always did like that one.
Thanks! Here's what the posters look like printed. I'm about to spray them with varnish and cut them out.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Funzo posted:

I'm still trying to decide if I want to update my 4th ed. Night Lords army or start something else. I built them for fast movements. Lots of Raptors, every squad had a Rhino, and a winged Lord. Worth sticking with it in 8th, or more fun to build up something else maybe?

I have Night Lords as well, 20 raptors, five warp talons, one winged lord an D prince.

The new deep strike lets them just set down an assault you basically just need to roll like an 8 with the melee range, I could be wrong. The Talons deep strike the same but they have a special version thst doesn't allow over watch.

You could dump them, the lord, an have them charge, negate OW then jam other stuff into the same thing, it looks neat in theory. They even have a army list dealie set to run mostly fast attack. That could be right up your alley.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My group is getting together tomorrow for some 1500 point games to try out 8th. I'll probably be seeing CSM, orks, and nids, here's what I'm bringing

Captain with relic blade and storm bolter
Librarian terminator with force stave and storm bolter

Tac squad with plasmagun and missile launcher
Tac squad with plasmagun and plasma cannon
5 bolter scouts

5 assault marines with jump packs, bolt pistol + chainsword

5 sternguard in a razorback with assault cannons
5 cataphractii terminators with various power fists and lightning claws, heavy flamer
Contemptor dread with multimelta

Predator with twin lascannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funzo posted:

The standalone rule book for SW:A has campaign rules. Otherwise I believe they're available online for free.

Vaguely related, but there was talk of SM scouts before, and since those are the main unit for Marines in SW, I'm assuming they're not going anywhere.

The SW:A campaign rules are a complete joke compared to Necromunda, is the point. Those don't count.

They're basically "oh poo poo you wanted to play campaign? Uh, wins get you a cache, spend a chache for 100 points, first to 15 caches wins" that's not a campaign dude.

Have you played Necromunda?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chutche2 posted:

So the AM index includes Renegades and Traitors, looks like once you get that you can include traitor guard in your chaos.

The leaks didn't include anything for renegades and traitors, so that'll be interesting to see.

I'm super bummed that only Catachans got chapter rules. Ah well, can run the other factions as Cadians for now :effort:

LordAba posted:

I am peeved that the bone sword on the hive tyrant isn't better, and/or doesn't synergize with the scything talons in any way. The Bonerwhip is kind of lame too. If you want CC you are better off with twin-scything, which is also a ton cheaper.

That and the flyrants go to weapon is now the deathspitter. 12 points for +1S/-1AP shots is a no brainer.

Old One Eye is legit. 5 attacks rerolling 1s, hitting on 2+, with the berzerk rule means he should have problem getting out 8-9 hits.

I'm kinda confused, if you take the deathspitter or devourer for the flyrant, it says you get 2 of them, and the stats listed are for one. So do you get twice the shots or no?

In that case if you swap both your scything talons for 2 pairs of deathspitters or devourers do you get 4 times the shots?

GW did you even proofread this poo poo?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 3, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

I have Night Lords as well, 20 raptors, five warp talons, one winged lord an D prince.

The new deep strike lets them just set down an assault you basically just need to roll like an 8 with the melee range, I could be wrong. The Talons deep strike the same but they have a special version thst doesn't allow over watch.

You could dump them, the lord, an have them charge, negate OW then jam other stuff into the same thing, it looks neat in theory. They even have a army list dealie set to run mostly fast attack. That could be right up your alley.

This was brought up before but you will need to roll a 9 for assaulting deep strike units. You must be more than 9" away and you must end within 1". Rolling an 8 will always leave you just outside charge range.

If you want to deepstrike and assault, get your CP ready for rerolls.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Sounds valid an reasonable. If you want that kind of plan to really, really work best shove anything you need into it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

VolatileSky posted:

I only got tau back in 3rd edition because RAILGUNS. But after a couple years I sold the army because it was getting boring. Setup firing lines and overlapping fire with broadsides/firewarrios, wait for them to advance, jump suits around. It was usually easy wins except deep strikers. Thought you were honestly talking about me for a second, didn't think I was that scruffy in my early 20s, I mean I did shave every couple days atleast.

I don't think so, unless you're six and a half feet tall, are from central Nova Scotia (and currently reside there).

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So chaos warlord Titan is in the new FW index.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

The leaks didn't include anything for renegades and traitors, so that'll be interesting to see.

Forgeworld not the regular indexes that got leaked. I doubt we'll see anything from those until it's actually shipped to customers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Forgeworld not the regular indexes that got leaked. I doubt we'll see anything from those until it's actually shipped to customers.

Ahhhhh that explains it. I forgot about the forgeworld rules updates.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kinda confused, if you take the deathspitter or devourer for the flyrant, it says you get 2 of them, and the stats listed are for one. So do you get twice the shots or no?

In that case if you swap both your scything talons for 2 pairs of deathspitters or devourers do you get 4 times the shots?

GW did you even proofread this poo poo?

Yeah, it is written oddly. Though you swap one (or both) scything talons for 2 deathspitter/devourer, paying double (or 4 times) the cost. This will let you shoot at 4 different targets if you want... though you probably wouldn't want to unless you are fishing for moral tests.

Again, it is odd that double scything is so much better than scything/bonesword for about 20 points cheaper. It is worth it on warriors, but a massive sink on the Tyrant. Plus bonerwhips being fairly lovely unless you want to shove warriors into a nurgle lord or anything else with a Damage 3 weapon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Range Raider

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

LordAba posted:

Yeah, it is written oddly. Though you swap one (or both) scything talons for 2 deathspitter/devourer, paying double (or 4 times) the cost. This will let you shoot at 4 different targets if you want... though you probably wouldn't want to unless you are fishing for moral tests.

Again, it is odd that double scything is so much better than scything/bonesword for about 20 points cheaper. It is worth it on warriors, but a massive sink on the Tyrant. Plus bonerwhips being fairly lovely unless you want to shove warriors into a nurgle lord or anything else with a Damage 3 weapon.

The wargear page states you can only have one set of cannons on a model.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Falls under that its hard to see what they intended. They, the writers, know because they wrote it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Hencoe posted:

Look again. It's on an asterix that is only next to Stranglethorns and Heavy Venom cannons. You can't double up on those, but you can on Devourers and Deathspitters.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my 1500 list with 35 marines, 5 terminators, 2 HQs, a dread, a razorback and a predator is fighting this tomorrow:

Old One Eye
Flying hive tyrant
Broodlord

20 genestealers
30 hormagaunts
20 termagants
Trygon prime
2 carnifexes
3 warriors
And a biovore

I'm not sure I have enough bullets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Those don't count as 'cannons'

chutche2 posted:

So my 1500 list with 35 marines, 5 terminators, 2 HQs, a dread, a razorback and a predator is fighting this tomorrow:

Old One Eye
Flying hive tyrant
Broodlord

20 genestealers
30 hormagaunts
20 termagants
Trygon prime
2 carnifexes
3 warriors
And a biovore

I'm not sure I have enough bullets.

Nice, make sure you post a trip report.

I hope the bugs win :)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zaphod42 posted:

Those don't count as 'cannons'

Nice, make sure you post a trip report.

I hope the bugs win :)

I'm hoping the terminators and their heavy flamer can get some work done. And the razorback has two assault cannons which should make a dent. Most likely scenario though is genestealers ripping everything apart. With Might of Heroes though my contemptor dread should be able to go toe-to-toe with any of his MCs.

I decided to go with vanguard detachment because that let me drop the scout squad to turn my assault marines into a vanguard squad, though now that I look at that I'm thinking I'll want the volume of attacks and bodies more than the quality of attacks the power weapon vanguard has. If I can put them into the warriors though my thunder hammer sergeant can crunch the entire unit by himself.

Most of the MCs wound my tanks on a 5+, so it's not too bad, the razorback and predator will be pretty tough. Trygon is a different story but at T6 my plasma and assault cannons can tear it up hopefully.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 3, 2017

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Running the spearhead detachment, you can run a list with Old One Eye, and 18 carnifexes. It is battle forged and totally legal.

Granted, those fexes are all decked out with Double Talons and Bone Maces.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

Running the spearhead detachment, you can run a list with Old One Eye, and 18 carnifexes. It is battle forged and totally legal.

Granted, those fexes are all decked out with Double Talons and Bone Maces.

I'm just waiting for Stonecrusher rules then I'm totally doing this with my 15 fexes~

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
pre-ordered the rulebook from my local GW, got asked why I wasn't buying the box, why I wasn't buying Index's, or objectives.

Mentioned I'll get the index's digitally, because they'll be replaced, got told I wasn't helping support the community, and I may as well get the rule book digitally.

:sigh: time to find a new store.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

pre-ordered the rulebook from my local GW, got asked why I wasn't buying the box, why I wasn't buying Index's, or objectives.

Mentioned I'll get the index's digitally, because they'll be replaced, got told I wasn't helping support the community, and I may as well get the rule book digitally.

Seriously, what the hell. It's literally a five dollar difference. I definitely wouldn't be going back either.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Yeast posted:

Yeah, gently caress that dude. Pushy GW staff are the worst and generally tend to be the ones every other employee hates as well.

That mode of thinking isn't even properly pushed by the company any more, at least from what I've seen, it only seems to be a few obnoxious holdouts.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity I just converted a 2000 point list into power points and it came out to 100 exactly which is actually pretty neat.

I'm sure it's super exploitable in a competitive game but the power points honestly don't seem bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just realized I could potentially lose a sentinel to moral. Kinda cool guess.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Pendent posted:

Out of curiosity I just converted a 2000 point list into power points and it came out to 100 exactly which is actually pretty neat.

I'm sure it's super exploitable in a competitive game but the power points honestly don't seem bad.

So far our two 2000 point lists my group has made are really close. Mines 1989 points and 102 power. His is 1992 and 98 power. Power seems honestly good enough for my relatively casual group at a first glance.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

The general guideline is that 1 power = 20 points. Power seem to be based off the base cost of the models plus about half of the possible upgrades. I think they're a fine way to do points if you don't want to gently caress around with regular wargear and just do a wsiwyg game with models you assembled back in 2nd/3rd edition, or if you and your opponent are both just maxing out on upgrades. Like WoM said, it's really just an alternate points system that's less granular, and I'm generally OK with that because I don't like worrying about 1-point differences between a power axe and a power sword.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

Just realized I could potentially lose a sentinel to moral. Kinda cool guess.

:black101:

There's a story in the novel Creed where a Sentinel pilot sees demons racing towards him and overwhelming the others in his unit, so he takes out his service pistol and puts it in his mouth.

I guess it can happen!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Part of me wishes tanks could die to morale for the above reason an example.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
We have a GW but our new local FLGS did 15% off preorders​ so the tournament guys here in town did a group buy.

The order we placed today was almost $8k CDN just in books, accessories and Dark Imperium boxes.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I haven't been keeping up with GW. What's the verdict on 40k 8th edition, standard garbage moneygrab or actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Here's my list I'm going to play tomorrow.

Necron Battalion

Overlord, Warscythe, 112 pts
Cryptek, 104 pts
Cryptek, 104 pts
10x Warrior, 120 pts
10x Warrior, 120 pts
10x Immortal, Gauss Blaster, 170 pts
10x Lychguard, Hyperphase Sword, Dispersion Shield, 370 pts
8x Triarch Praetorian, Rod of Covenant, 280 pts
6x Canoptek Wraith, 228 pts
Monolith, 381 pts
Total: 1989 pts

I'll let you know how it goes. Playing against Orks and Death Guard.

• Locked thread