Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ezzer posted:

who the hell is pk

That's the name (pain killer, pk for short) max gave to the doctopus on his arm five pages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's the name (pain killer, pk for short) max gave to the doctopus on his arm five pages ago

I can understand his confusion, what with most people not remembering plot points from before six months ago.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
well, fair. you have to live in the moment.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Update! I can't link it because I'm phone posting. Looks like PJ leveled up to poltergeist now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Link here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

neogeo0823 posted:

Update! I can't link it because I'm phone posting. Looks like PJ leveled up to poltergeist now.

or max's shirt is a tool

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I think this current arc peaked at the point in which Ed decided to grant preternatural (preterparanatural?) insight to Johnny and RJ and decided to harness their powers in an effort to 'stalk and hunt a teacher'. And the facial responses therein.

Nothing before or since has managed to top that, though Max's 'Oh my god' face during Serge's bit about the six dozen black saint whatevers came awfully closed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Update! More awesome action sequence! Locker door surfing! Anime straw sword fighting!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is this detailed enough to say that he's drawing backgrounds now or no?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
This is an action sequence that I have absolutely no emotional investment in.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Axiem posted:

I just wanna know what Garcia's deal is! I've been waiting years to find out what his deal is!

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

RandallODim posted:

I just wanna know what Garcia's deal is! I've been waiting years to find out what his deal is!

i too have been interested in knowing more ever since they started following the teachers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RandallODim posted:

whatever it is it's unrelated to hijack, since he has Normal Eyes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Axiem posted:

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at. Things are happening, and they're very silly things that are banking on absurdism to make me laugh but all I can really muster is an "okay" because there's little real sense of why any of it's happening or why I should care.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Countblanc posted:

whatever it is it's unrelated to hijack, since he has Normal Eyes

the dog didn't have demon eyes either.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at. Things are happening, and they're very silly things that are banking on absurdism to make me laugh but all I can really muster is an "okay" because there's little real sense of why any of it's happening or why I should care.

this, plus i'm having a really hard time following the transitions

eg, top of last page:

it looks like the top-right is supposed to be transitioning between max's fight with the spirit (grudge? w/e) and the Bully Gang's fight with Mr. Starchman. Except then next panel we're back to Max? And then to Mr. Starchman again?

i feel like all of the Cool Transitions are hard to follow, but this one was the worst so far

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think it was supposed to show the simultaneous actions happening together, not necessarily transitioning between them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it made me do a double take and try to figure out if the characters had moved into the same location.

if i were scott mccloud i'd be able to say which rules of visual storytelling were being broken here. but i'm not, so i can only say that it's confusing and disorienting, and makes me sad. :(

i feel like a lot of the pacing problems with the comic will be less bad In The Archives, but this bit feels like it'll be even worse? idk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PleasingFungus posted:

it made me do a double take and try to figure out if the characters had moved into the same location.

if i were scott mccloud i'd be able to say which rules of visual storytelling were being broken here. but i'm not, so i can only say that it's confusing and disorienting, and makes me sad. :(

i feel like a lot of the pacing problems with the comic will be less bad In The Archives, but this bit feels like it'll be even worse? idk

The top panel is particularly bad because the bat spirit is interacting with RJ's locker shield in the same moment the locker is getting hit by sticky darts. You have to stop to consider if the bat is suddenly in the scene with Ed's group, or if the locker is acting as a panel divider again. Having to stop breaks the flow of action and pulls you out of the story. Like you said, it might not be so bad if it's read in one chunk, but action spaced out over several weeks can be a slog when so little is happening on each page.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Zack is experimenting with tying lots of things all together with multiple threads by making the panels all mirror each other—something that I don't think I've ever seen done in any other comic (web or otherwise) because

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Some of the transitions have been really fun and smooth, but I agree that the locker transition in particular is clunky.

The whole Max scene right now is really out of nowhere, and after how long we spent building up the other scenes it's difficult to care about it. That makes it feel weirder that it's getting so much emphasis. Hell, just the difference in tension levels between the four scenes is jarring-- Ed's scene is as action packed as Isaac's, but there's very little riding on it, and Isabel's scene has a completely different sort of tension to it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Axiem posted:

Zack is experimenting with tying lots of things all together with multiple threads by making the panels all mirror each other—something that I don't think I've ever seen done in any other comic (web or otherwise) because

Watchmen did that, but Moore and Gibbons spread the mirroring across an entire chapter rather than doing it on a single page. A lot of people don't even notice it.

I agree that this is kind of hard to follow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Still, I appreciate the concept of experimenting with his panel composition. He's working on growing as an artist, and that's laudable, even if there's some bumps along the way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Still, I appreciate the concept of experimenting with his panel composition. He's working on growing as an artist, and that's laudable, even if there's some bumps along the way.

Yeah, artists learn through experimentation. It does mean that you'll make more mistakes when trying new things out but there really isn't another way to go about it.

As an aside, this is a significant problem for many professional artists because when you are faced with constant deadlines and have to produce a large quantity of work to make a living, you no longer have time to experiment anymore. As a result their work stagnates a bit.

So now is a great time for him to experiment different things and find out what works when less is on the line comparatively.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I agree. Experimentation is good. My worry is that he gets so much praise for it that he doesn't step back to see whether or not it really works.

I also think that it could have been built up to in a better way, to have actual emotional tension here. I'm just feeling nothing for now.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'd also imagine Zack's realized that this chapter has grown quite long in the tooth, so he's trying this out as a stylish thing that can also compress more action into a smaller number of panels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Latest page flows better, while still keeping the parallel action thing going.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aaaand next three updates are going to be an unrelated side story.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GlyphGryph posted:

I look forward to something that has a chance of having a conclusion.

Also, Garcia is proving to be just as cool as I always knew he was. And also might have a diet high in citrus.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"from" an unrelated side story. I don't know if we'll get the conclusion.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GlyphGryph posted:

"from" an unrelated side story. I don't know if we'll get the conclusion.

I said a chance.

Nothing (in Paranatural) ends, GlyphGryph. Nothing (in Paranatural) ever ends.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

GlyphGryph posted:

No they won't
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/872480023218925568

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
By "forge comics", he obviously means a flashback story about Max's mom's making metal sculptures at a smithy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This chapter won't end this year :lol:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm surprised that he didn't end this chapter on the cliffhanger of Max standing in front of the school store. That was a good hook ending and the chapter at that point was only maybe 20 pages shorter than the chapter before it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am pleased by these filler comics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Short, simple and funny comics. I almost forgot he could make those! The Zarei one owns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i can't believe Ed would fall asleep after Ms. Baxter took the time to find such funny math memes

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't remember, that time Ed and Isabel were using their powers and Starchman walked in and they deflected him by claiming it was CGI, could he actually see Ed's ink then? I'm always a bit fuzzy on the spirit/real world interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Dolash posted:

I can't remember, that time Ed and Isabel were using their powers and Starchman walked in and they deflected him by claiming it was CGI, could he actually see Ed's ink then? I'm always a bit fuzzy on the spirit/real world interactions.

Isabel's paper has a physical substrate, Ed's ink is pure spirit. So Starchman just saw the paper blob, presumably.