Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Not actual history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is probably part of why I never got through his WW1 podcast. He spends a lot of time explaining why it happened and trots out a lot of time worn cliches. I remember some rambling thing about it being destiny because look at all these crazy coincidences and if any one of a dozen things hadn't happened exactly this way Sarajevo doesn't happen. Only, it ignores the roughly dozen times that various European powers almost threw down in the previous quarter century, the inherently destabilizing effect of the unification of Germany, and the fact that ll the various governments were pretty much on board with it being time to settle some major international issues through a quick war that their side would obviously win before winter.

Also PUNCH DRUNK BOXERS.

edit: I can not emphasize enough how badly he misreads the international political situation in 1914. He's drinking straight from a post-war narrative about the idlyic, peaceful, long 19th century being shattered by a war no one knew was coming, but that's very much a construct of the 50s and 60s.

I had the same kind of struggle with the WW1 series. When he does ancient history like Rome or Assyria, I give him a lot more leeway because we simply don't have as many sources and the sources we have are often problematic at best. So the story of the Roman Republic even as we receive it from authoritative modern literature isn't ironclad, and so turning it into an appealing narrative is less of a violation than trotting out the old stories of WW1.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

So this isn't just me bagging on him

Ghosts of the Ostfront was a hell of a listen, though when he runs the numbers at the end it seems a bit unbelievable on top of the already shocking totals.

Logical Insanity was pretty good too, the first hand accounts of firestorm survivors... jesus hold me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not actual history.

I love this so much

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not actual history.

You sure? Seems pretty accurate tbh.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Herv posted:

Ghosts of the Ostfront was a hell of a listen, though when he runs the numbers at the end it seems a bit unbelievable on top of the already shocking totals.

Logical Insanity was pretty good too, the first hand accounts of firestorm survivors... jesus hold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkmO7tm8AU

That is my go-to for a summary of the staggering nature of the Eastern Front. Pretty sure I found it in this very thread originally (Cyrano?)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Germany rolls up sleeves, looks at France and punches Belgium" makes me laugh every time.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-vows-eliminate-nato-threat-sweden-joins-619486

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not actual history.

Why is the United States portrayed as participating in the looting of Germany? Our position was for a mild treaty.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A.o.D. posted:

Why is the United States portrayed as participating in the looting of Germany? Our position was for a mild treaty.

We still received spoils.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Fearless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkmO7tm8AU

That is my go-to for a summary of the staggering nature of the Eastern Front. Pretty sure I found it in this very thread originally (Cyrano?)

Yeah, that Glantz lecture is really good. I know I found it either in this thread or the last round of the MilHist thread.

Carlin aggravates the hell out of me for a lot of stylistic reasons- the way he builds up to saying something was really bad, or really big is particularly annoying. That said, he's probably no worse than your average US high school history text on any given topic and significantly more interesting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I suppose it should've been "America said they shouldn't take his wallet but didn't decline the round France bought"

Or you know something funnier

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The real problem is that the Entente took enough to piss Germany off, but not enough to degrade their ability to retaliate.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How much more accurate could you make a sniper rifle if it didn't have to be held by humans? Like a tube in a turret with wind sensors, GPS, extremely fine motor control, and "algorithms" controlled via a tablet?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As accurate as you wanted. The problem isn't making the bullet hit the target, the problem is spotting the target, and making the system portable.

A (mobile) tube in a turret with wind sensors, GPS, extremely fine motor control, and "algorithms" controlled is a tank. You could make it use a smaller calibre, but why?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raenir Salazar posted:

How much more accurate could you make a sniper rifle if it didn't have to be held by humans? Like a tube in a turret with wind sensors, GPS, extremely fine motor control, and "algorithms" controlled via a tablet?

Antipersonnel rifles, fired from a stable position, already have more trouble hitting because targets move unpredictably than because the operator has shaky hands.

If you want to use antimateriel rifles as small-calibre, direct fire artillery, maybe there’s more room for improvement there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

As accurate as you wanted. The problem isn't making the bullet hit the target, the problem is spotting the target, and making the system portable.

A (mobile) tube in a turret with wind sensors, GPS, extremely fine motor control, and "algorithms" controlled is a tank. You could make it use a smaller calibre, but why?

I'm just wondering if "shakey hands" is the largest contributor to missing your target and whether you could hypothetically solve it as long as the target didn't suddenly zig zag in a random direction.

Suppose you had a stable robot tripod the weapon is attached to; and maybe a second tripod that had all the sensors and could act as a spotter; and you sat a few meters away with a tablet that alerted you if any targets were visible and all you had to do is tap the target displayed on the screen and the gun would automatically lock to it; tries to average out its movements to predict where he might be at the time the bullet reaches its position and then after a confirmation tap takes the shot.

If money was no object kind of theory crafting.

e: It gives me a cool idea for an probably very expensive and niche game. Fly around with a drone with a camera and you have to pick out people you think are terrorists that the app predetermines and you have to figure out the correct one with only limited resources like in Papers Please but as an Augmented Reality Game.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 4, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Raenir Salazar posted:

Lockheed Martin business model.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Reminder a SEAL popped a guy from one boat to another in the middle of the ocean. The tech exists even with an ape holding it, it's just probably both too expensive and too finicky for too many grunts to carry around.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Suppose you had a stable robot tripod the weapon is attached to; and maybe a second tripod that had all the sensors and could act as a spotter; and you sat a few meters away with a tablet that alerted you if any targets were visible and all you had to do is tap the target displayed on the screen and the gun would automatically lock to it; tries to average out its movements to predict where he might be at the time the bullet reaches its position and then after a confirmation tap takes the shot.

There are people who build what amounts to heavy-duty bespoke no-human-touching-anything benchrests for long-range hobby shooting. I don't know what king of MOA they achieve, but eventually other items in the error budget will be larger than pointing inaccuracy. You'l have variation in the bullet velocity due to shot-to-shot small differences in the powder, you'll have thermal gradients in the firearm from ambient weather subtly changing its shape, you'll have rigid body vibrations from any active pointing mechanisms, you'll have wind turbulence between you and the target changing the atmosphere during the nontrivially-long flight, etc, etc. At the end of the day though, you have the very hard limit of bullet drop. You just can't get a low-sectional-density projectile to go all that many more km before it runs out of steam and falls to the ground. So beyond a couple km it rapidly gets more efficient to just use something with active guidance.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Guns and Ammo did an accuracy test on .22LR match ammo last year, which involved buying one of the most expensive .22 rifles available (to ensure there were no issues caused by the weapon), putting it into the most absurdly precise rest they could put together (to eliminate shooter effects), and firing at a fairly short range (to minimize any effect of the air on the relatively light bullets in use). Even with this setup, there was noticable dispersion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not actual history.

Also Germany, Russia, and England are literally cousins.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

"Germany rolls up sleeves, looks at France and punches Belgium" makes me laugh every time.

The part about Japan calling out that it was on Britain's side and then staying on the other side of the room killed me.

I like to imagine it took a sip from its drink while casually observing the scuffle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Japan: yells out to Britain from the far side of the bar that they're on the same side, sidles over to the table Germany were sitting at a little while ago and ate their peanuts, thinks to themselves "I should buy a bigger boat".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Memento posted:

Japan: yells out to Britain from the far side of the bar that they're on the same side, sidles over to the table Germany were sitting at a little while ago and ate their peanuts, thinks to themselves "I should buy a bigger boat".

I think we could charitably describe Japan's WWI participation as holding England's beer. (Sending DD's to patrol the med)

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sperglord Actual posted:

I remember the Ambrose rant. You should repost it some time. :v:

Oh crap, I've read a lot of his books, am I stupid now? :negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think we could charitably describe Japan's WWI participation as holding England's beer. (Sending DD's to patrol the med)

I thought they took advantage of the conflict to seize Germany's Micronesian territories, knowing there would be no backlash.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Captain von Trapp posted:

There are people who build what amounts to heavy-duty bespoke no-human-touching-anything benchrests for long-range hobby shooting. I don't know what king of MOA they achieve, but eventually other items in the error budget will be larger than pointing inaccuracy. You'l have variation in the bullet velocity due to shot-to-shot small differences in the powder, you'll have thermal gradients in the firearm from ambient weather subtly changing its shape, you'll have rigid body vibrations from any active pointing mechanisms, you'll have wind turbulence between you and the target changing the atmosphere during the nontrivially-long flight, etc, etc. At the end of the day though, you have the very hard limit of bullet drop. You just can't get a low-sectional-density projectile to go all that many more km before it runs out of steam and falls to the ground. So beyond a couple km it rapidly gets more efficient to just use something with active guidance.

one of my friends swears by not letting the cartridge stay in battery for too long because the brass heats up and changes the characteristics or something

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The answer is "drone-fired Hellfire."

CMANO lp is convincing me that fighter pilots are what needs replacing with robots the most. What human qualities do you need to take off, sling BVRs at AVACS painted targets and then either die to terminal radar guided missiles or land.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*Top gun theme in a minor key*

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

So beyond a couple km it rapidly gets more efficient to just use something with active guidance.

http://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2015-04-27

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

JcDent posted:

The answer is "drone-fired Hellfire."

CMANO lp is convincing me that fighter pilots are what needs replacing with robots the most. What human qualities do you need to take off, sling BVRs at AVACS painted targets and then either die to terminal radar guided missiles or land.

All the mission sets that don't involve slinging BVRs at optimal range on direction from the AWACS. Also that pesky issue of who to blame when MHXXX gets shot down live on CNN.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm just wondering if "shakey hands" is the largest contributor to missing your target and whether you could hypothetically solve it as long as the target didn't suddenly zig zag in a random direction.

This is the kind of thing the TrackingPoint rifle solves for. Basically you tag a target with a laser dot, and then hold down the trigger. When the barrel is lined up, it releases a catch and fires.

http://www.tracking-point.com/how-it-works/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Blam the AWACS crew, duh.

What missions are, say, your F-22 carrying out that a robot wouldn't do better?

I doubt that CAS needs that much of a human touch either, especially if the target is lazed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

JcDent posted:

I doubt that CAS needs that much of a human touch either, especially if the target is lazed.

This discussion comes up a lot and always ends with the people who know what they're talking about, even those who have a healthy disregard for pilots' egos, agree that we are nowhere near full-unmanned fighter capability.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh crap, I've read a lot of his books, am I stupid now? :negative:

He's ok for grandpas stories of kicking Hitler in the nads especially if it's your intro to history. His historical arguments are poo poo though. I'll dig up my Ambrose rant later.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also be operable when comms are jammed or spotty. We are a far way off of combat ready AI.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JcDent posted:

You're entirely wrong, sorry.

To answer your question, all of them. Even cruise missiles have a "man in the loop" with the ability of ending the mission if necessary. The problem is that if you're in an EM-contested environment (which we've never really fought in), you might not be able to just send that signal so you need someone actually there. When you're talking about interpreting the kind of information required to actually identify and target an aircraft, you absolutely need a person to do it. It's not as simple as BEEP BOOP Information X+Information Y=Z which is a target so shoot it. poo poo hasn't been that permissive since WWII. "Fog of war" is the term used to cover the billions of stupid little things that gently caress with plans that basic, and it happens even in a permissive air environment like Iraq (pre ISIS) and Afghanistan.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 4, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There were battles fought in WWII in churches with both sides alternately attacking it and then occupying the first floor repeatedly while hundreds of children sheltered in the cellar over days. Including directing hundreds of HE rounds into the building.

It's going to have to be a hell of a conflict to get to that level of weapons free again which is where you would have to pretty much be to have autonomous targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I guess a game LP isn't a realistic depiction of modern air warfare. Consider me corrected.