Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There is a lot of cute art of the protagonists being generally annoyed by kodamas on Pixiv, it's pretty great

edit:

Me on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

First time I've tried it, but the spear moveset is a lot more interesting than I expected. I like how light, medium, and heavy attacks are all useful in different circumstances. The light spear moveset in particular is a lot faster and flashier than I was imagining. Some of the lower level skills I've tried seem fun too, but a few don't appear to work on anything except human enemies.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you usually can't parry or grapple non-humans, including stuff like the sweepy trip-y moves the spear can do. Using it to pole vault behind fools is always a good time however.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing I find is that the with the spear's high stance fast attack I am now breaking yokai horns very easily, which does considerable damage and puts them on the ground. I didn't really know that was a thing before.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Smacking the one-eyed giants in their, uh, eye also stuns them for a few seconds regardless of their remaining Ki. It's not hugely practical but still in there. :v:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Filthy Monkey posted:

First time I've tried it, but the spear moveset is a lot more interesting than I expected. I like how light, medium, and heavy attacks are all useful in different circumstances. The light spear moveset in particular is a lot faster and flashier than I was imagining. Some of the lower level skills I've tried seem fun too, but a few don't appear to work on anything except human enemies.
It's also got the cheesiest ki-breaker in the game too. Spear Shove has hilarious range, and knocks off insane amounts of ki even when it's blocked. Revenants just can't deal with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Smacking the one-eyed giants in their, uh, eye also stuns them for a few seconds regardless of their remaining Ki. It's not hugely practical but still in there. :v:

I open every fight with them by just backing up a few feet and shooting em. It's almost unfair.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Started playing around with the Odachi last night, you can do some pretty interesting stuff with the stance change moves. Do we have a list of combos that are possible/good? Searching around a little bit I found a GameFAQs thread that mentioned some:

Mid: Strong Strong > Low: Quick Quick > High: Strong
So from Mid stance: Triangle Triangle Square Square Triangle

High: Strong > Mid: Quick x2 or 3 > High: Strong
Good for chopping horns and getting some hits in while they're stunned.

Similarly, High: Strong > Low: Quick Quick Quick > High or Mid: Strong

I'm also playing with putting Twin Moons on my High stance Triangle and ending combos with that, but it changes the timing a bit:
Low: Strong Strong > High: Quick Strong (which triggers Twin Moons for two hits).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just returned to this game to get caught up with the DLC and try out the Odachi, as well. That range is sick. What are you guys pairing it with? Any big patches in the last couple months I should know about besides PVP and pausing?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Takes No Damage posted:

Started playing around with the Odachi last night, you can do some pretty interesting stuff with the stance change moves. Do we have a list of combos that are possible/good? Searching around a little bit I found a GameFAQs thread that mentioned some:

Mid: Strong Strong > Low: Quick Quick > High: Strong
So from Mid stance: Triangle Triangle Square Square Triangle

High: Strong > Mid: Quick x2 or 3 > High: Strong
Good for chopping horns and getting some hits in while they're stunned.

Similarly, High: Strong > Low: Quick Quick Quick > High or Mid: Strong

I'm also playing with putting Twin Moons on my High stance Triangle and ending combos with that, but it changes the timing a bit:
Low: Strong Strong > High: Quick Strong (which triggers Twin Moons for two hits).

Big Odachi things to know: High Stance strong combo is (after the buffs) very fast and very strong - perfect for hitting somebody after a grapple. The stance + light attack rushdown is incredibly good at breaking blocks and is very safe - it completely clowns anything that tries to block. The mid-stance (I think it's mid exclusive) light attack ender that lets you roll on top of the enemy if it breaks is really fun - does a ton of ki damage if they block and lots of health damage if it breaks. It's kind of bad if it doesn't get blocked though - so don't bother using it against things that can't block.

Bonus stylish combo: Retrograde Flow to launch somebody, then hit them with a High Stance Lightx2 -> combo-switcher while they're still in the air.

In my opinion the Odachi is very much an anti-human weapon (which includes revenants). It has a poo poo ton of block punishes and grapple followups, but it's not the best thing against yokai. The passive supports that.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I paired it with the axe so I have an anti human and anti yokai weapon. They both have passives that increase damage against them and they scale with strength.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm using it with the axe but only because those were the last 2 weapons I had to try out and NG+ seemed like a good time to switch. I didn't consider separating them out by enemy type tho, that is interesting.

I noticed you seem to have a choice of either standard combo finishers or using the stance swap skills, I wonder if one is clearly better than the other or if it's situational enough that you'd want to swap back and forth, or even mix-n-match.

Long crazy combos VS flashy finishing moves hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

poptart_fairy posted:

Bait out the body slam and it becomes very practical.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't have the heart do that. They have the most adorable animation when they whiff their grab attack.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Goddamn I suck at this game.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Don't worry, skill is optional. One thing I am learning is that as you play more, it becomes less and less dark souls, and more and more diablo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
And there are so many goddamn items to pick up in the quick slots that I'm not certain which ones are actually worth a poo poo. And the fact that I'm drowning in loot after 10 minutes of play makes it exhausting to deal with.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do you know that you can just auto vendor everything below a certain rarity?

I only even look at like 10% of the items I pick up. maybe 20 per mission.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Snak posted:

Do you know that you can just auto vendor everything below a certain rarity?

I only even look at like 10% of the items I pick up. maybe 20 per mission.

poo poo, I did not know that.

Still not certain which of the consumbles are worth using. On my hot bar I have my omyo weapon buff talismans, a couple of ninja throwables, shurikens, and healing items.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The ones I use are anti paralytic needles, antidotes, small soul stones and water charms. Getting paralyzed in this game is a death sentence so being able to break out of it instantly does wonders.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 3, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hate choosing when to use consumable in any game and basically never use them. Which is why I use onmyo magic in this game, so that the consumables I use are unlimited.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
code:
      Elixir
Shuriken    Kunai
    Kayaku-dama

Groundfire (sometimes Antidote/Sacred Water/other)
Weakness    Sloth
    Storm Kunai

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless you're actually building for projectile damage you'd probably be better off with some element shots instead. Slothing then Confusing a tough enemy or boss does wonders.

I use water first since it's effect is to make other elements hurt more, then lightning to further slow them down. After Discord procs I attack with a weapon of a third element type, usually Earth, at which point the fight usually ends.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sloth, Lightning and Water was my go-to trio for cheesing bosses before I got the projectile build going. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
At first glance the Unrivaled set bonuses might look underwhelming but the attack bonus while surrounded is quite helpful when the game likes to throw 3-4 yokais at you

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Takes No Damage posted:

Unless you're actually building for projectile damage you'd probably be better off with some element shots instead. Slothing then Confusing a tough enemy or boss does wonders.

I use water first since it's effect is to make other elements hurt more, then lightning to further slow them down. After Discord procs I attack with a weapon of a third element type, usually Earth, at which point the fight usually ends.

Oh I am very much building for thrown damage - 70+ dex and counting :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magus42 posted:

Oh I am very much building for thrown damage - 70+ dex and counting :)

In that case also keep an eye out for Damage from Behind bonuses, Slothing a dude, running around behind him and knifing him in the back can kill bosses with enough stacking buffs.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Takes No Damage posted:

In that case also keep an eye out for Damage from Behind bonuses, Slothing a dude, running around behind him and knifing him in the back can kill bosses with enough stacking buffs.

Yeah I've been killing bosses with thrown weapons for a couple regions now.

Not sure if it'll change now that I'm in NG+, but it's been a lot of fun :)

I found a great pair of Iga gloves in Death to Bandits with thrown weapon damage and shuriken/kunai damage.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Forged a sweet Kusanagi Tsurugi with

Wind, weaken torso, consecutive attack bonus, close combat attack, High Moon damage bonus, status ailments relieved, change to attack Spirit

I won't even need to refashion it because I love how it looks

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The discussions on this page about omyo magic debuffs have been immensely helpful, thanks folks.

When does crafting become worth delving in to? I'm level 45 and just beat the water blob boss in the second region; I've done all the dojo missions available to me and have been pumping dex and magic to meet those requirements. Rest of my stats are around 10-12.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
When you unlock the final item tier (essentially, NG+) is when crafting starts being useful. Disassemble and sell is great from the start though for making money.

SMP
May 5, 2009

But you don't make any money from disassembling do you? Or are you suggesting to sell the mats you get in return.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I crafted gear through pretty much the entire game.

It depends on what your build is and what you are able to craft. It's a simple way to top your gear off to your level.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm sitting on a pile of gold at level 45 and literally have not bought a single thing. Are consumables sold by the blacksmith?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm sitting on a pile of gold at level 45 and literally have not bought a single thing. Are consumables sold by the blacksmith?

Save all your gold forever. In NG+ you will be soul matching things that cost 70k minium on the regular.

Yeah you can like, buy ammo and stuff, though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently coop-ing my way through NG+, should I even be trying to craft gear? Lately I've been focusing on increasing the + number after the gear I already have. I'm up to a +3 Odachi and +4 Axe so far. I also noticed (I think) you get a bigger bonus from Soul Matching with the same weapon type. Is this true and if so is it worth waiting until I have enough of each weapon to Match like with like?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I craft a shitton, because you have a chance to craft +1 and +2 greens. So I usually craft bunch of +1s to feed the divine pyramid scheme.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at that last night and wasn't sure how it worked. Like you can pick what mats to use to increase the odds of getting higher quality gear but it looked like it only went up to Exotic. Is there something else I need to do to introduce Divine gear into the mix?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Soul matching is also cheaper if the material is lesser level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I was looking at that last night and wasn't sure how it worked. Like you can pick what mats to use to increase the odds of getting higher quality gear but it looked like it only went up to Exotic. Is there something else I need to do to introduce Divine gear into the mix?

You have to hit triangle and then you can put up to 10 divine shards into it and that will give you 85% chance of divine. I think. Who knows what the odds are of getting +1s, but I've gotten enough that it seems to be worth it to do.