Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, I haven't seen that 30-40 minutes but I think I'll hold out until launch. I intend to level RDM first thing anyway (he says knowing full well it'll be a loving shitshow trying to level that first, but oh well)

What do we know so far about how RDM plays, if anything? I only know some info was dropped.

(don't use this, its dumb, overcomplicates things, and looks wrong in a few spots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It looks complex as gently caress on a sheet, as does Samurai, but it probably flows naturally when you play.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Assuming you get the marching-ants border when stuff procs it seems like it'll be really easy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can probably make Monk look like rocket science but it's the easiest thing in the world.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
RDM's rotation is really simple from what we've seen so far. You chainspell into the long cast spells (from Jolt, initially), and then if you get a proc you use the proc spell. If not, Jolt again. Repeat until you're at 85 mana of both types, then jump in, do the melee combo, and use a finisher. Repeat. The complexity will come from keeping track of your chainspell and not getting mixed up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Surely Holy and Flare are backwards on that sheet.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SonicRulez posted:

They aren't. The finishers give you a big infusion of their type of mana, so you use the one you have less of to get closer to parity; Bad Things happen if you have more than 30 mana discrepancy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I think it's the right way round because Flare will raise your Black Mana to equalise it

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The real trick to flare and holy is they have a guaranteed proc if their mana type is lower. So the RDM rotation is all about getting to 80 of each and then getting one slightly higher to get the guaranteed verfire/verstone proc.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

They aren't. The finishers give you a big infusion of their type of mana, so you use the one you have less of to get closer to parity; Bad Things happen if you have more than 30 mana discrepancy.

What sort of Bad Things?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Interesting. I guess just by looking at it I would've guessed that the goal was to hit 100/100 and then start doing crazy sword poo poo. But it's more like magic > crazy sword poo poo > MAGIC. Why 85?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Your melee moves get empowered if you have over x/x mana, 85 is enough to do all your melee combo empowered.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hello. I beat the original Heavensward content but quit shortly after and am now back trying to do patch stuff.

Is there a good decent primer on how to play BLM? I don't remember a drat thing on how to play this class. Trying to find an alright guide through Google and figured someone might be able to point me in a good direction. Thanks!!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SonicRulez posted:

Interesting. I guess just by looking at it I would've guessed that the goal was to hit 100/100 and then start doing crazy sword poo poo. But it's more like magic > crazy sword poo poo > MAGIC. Why 85?

Full empowered combo is 80 (30/25/25). 85 is based on bad info.

You also want one of them to be slightly higher than the other so your magic finisher procs Verfire/Stone Ready 100% of the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

vOv posted:

What sort of Bad Things?

It hamstrings the rate at which you gather the lower mana. I don't know the specific number it worsens it by, but I heard if you have 60 White and 30 Black (the magic number difference is 30 btw) it makes Jolt grant 3 White/1 Black instead of 3 of each. So either it reduces it to 33% or it subtracts 2, not sure which.

Also you want at least 80 mana, not 85, to do your melee combo. Apparently there was a tooltip typo for one of the melee abilities. Another typo is that Manafication doubles your current mana, it doesn't double the rate at which you accumulate mana.

But yeah the class is pretty simple! Here's an ideal opener (100% procs) and a worst possible opener (0%) based off what we currently know:

quote:

Perfect Procs

(Acceleration) Verthunder (proc!) pre-pull (-5s or so) -> Veraero (proc!) -> Verfire -> Verthunder (proc!) -> Verstone -> Veraero (proc!) -> Verstone -> Verthunder (proc!) (40 White/42 Black) -> (Manafication|Corps-a-Corps) Enchanted Riposte -> Enchanted Zwerchhau -> Enchanted Redoublement (Displacement) -> Verholy

Zero Procs

(Acceleration) Verthunder (proc!) pre-pull (-5s or so) -> Veraero -> Verfire -> Veraero -> Jolt II -> Verthunder -> Impact -> Veraero -> Jolt II (43 White/41 Black) -> (Manafication|Corps-a-Corps) Enchanted Riposte -> Enchanted Zwerchhau -> Enchanted Redoublement (Displacement) -> Verflare

And your main rotation is just a priority system based on procs and which cooldowns are available at the time. Something like this:

1) If you have 80/80 mana and one of them is higher than the other, do your melee rotation.
2) If you have a Dualcast proc cast Verthunder or Veraero, based on which you need (whichever is lower generally)
3) If you have a Verstone/Verfire Ready proc, cast that. These last for 10(?) seconds so you have a bit of leeway here, as show in the opener.
4) If you have an Impactful proc, cast Impact.
5) Cast Jolt(2).

And then a few rules like "cast the finisher of whichever mana is lower" and "use Corps-a-corps + Displacement as free OGCD damage if their cooldowns will be up by the time you get to 80/80+ mana or before you use Manafication".

It's actually pretty simple, you just have to pay attention since there's RNG elements.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I picked this game up because a friend convinced me to give it a shot. I'm level 18 on a Pugilist and I'm enjoying it so far. I mainly solo when they're not around and we team up to do things in the world, my question is how viable is PvP solo queuing? Is it any good?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Define "viable"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I picked this game up because a friend convinced me to give it a shot. I'm level 18 on a Pugilist and I'm enjoying it so far. I mainly solo when they're not around and we team up to do things in the world, my question is how viable is PvP solo queuing? Is it any good?
You realistically aren't gonna be able to queue for pvp at all until you get to 60, no one plays the lower level modes. Its okay, not the best mmo pvp but its kinda fun sometimes, about to change pretty drastically in Stormblood though.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

PVP is solidly not good in this game, as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

You realistically aren't gonna be able to queue for pvp at all until you get to 60, no one plays the lower level modes. Its okay, not the best mmo pvp but its kinda fun sometimes, about to change pretty drastically in Stormblood though.

You'll be able to queue for PvP from level 30 onwards in Stormblood, and you get EXP for doing so. No specifics beyond that are known though I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Might become better in SB though?

Countblanc posted:

It hamstrings the rate at which you gather the lower mana.

drat, I had heard it hamstrings the higher mana, if its the lower, that is really nasty.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

You'll be able to queue for PvP from level 30 onwards in Stormblood, and you get EXP for doing so. No specifics beyond that are known though I think.
I hadn't heard that part, are they gonna start level syncing all the maps now? It'll be good to play slaughter again

e: oh right I forgot, there aren't even levels anymore in pvp

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 3, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Stormgale posted:

You better not have posted him answering my question, that would be uncool :I

Edit: Though that does mean that rotation we came up with earlier is probably the best one with doing the Gekko Line first

Edit 2: Did some quick testing by forcing slashing up (assuming another class gets it up in 3 GCD), it has a potency difference of 0.17 but the slightly weaker one gets both major CD's off about 10s Faster
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sya3IaxBxdQSS7_yIWPHaXWzQXo6tGJ7Ujo3l2FOvO0/edit?usp=sharing

If the slashing up looks odd, I'm playing around with it assuming a WAR/NIN puts it in before your iajutsu move finishes (because with cast time even if it takes 3 full GCDs it'll be up before that hits)

NIN/WAR now apply in two GCDs.

Slashing Debuff got moved from their original skills in such a way that they will be naturally applied by how NIN/WAR wants to use their first skills anyways. They can both now apply in two GCDs, with WAR going Heavy Swing -> Maim on the way to Storm's Edge, which now has the 10% damage boost, and NIN going Spinning Edge -> Shadow Fang to put up a DOT.

I can't speak to whether or not NIN wants to use Shadow Fang first, but WAR has a lot of incentive to Storm's Edge first even before Butcher's Block to settle aggro. WAR can always help cover the aggro gap with Equilibrium.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 3, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Countblanc posted:

It's my hope that the changes make PVP good enough to want to do and the XP rewards are good enough per unit time spent that I'm not grinding Palace and Palace 2.0 to get my jobs to 70.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Slashing Debuff got moved from their original skills in such a way that they will be naturally applied by how NIN/WAR wants to use their first skills anyways. They can both now apply in two GCDs, with WAR going Heavy Swing -> Maim on the way to Storm's Edge, which now has the 10% damage boost, and NIN going Spinning Edge -> Shadow Fang to put up a DOT.

I can't speak to whether or not NIN wants to use Shadow Fang first, but WAR has a lot of incentive to Storm's Edge first even before Butcher's Block to settle aggro. WAR can always help cover the aggro gap with Equilibrium.

Shadow Fang is the 3rd hit combo finisher now, its sadly no longer a two step combo.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I heard

Choyi posted:

Shadow Fang is the 3rd hit combo finisher now, its sadly no longer a two step combo.

This, was why I wasn't sure.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I like the combat quite a bit, which was unexpected, so I thought I'd give PvP a go but since it looks like things may be better when the new expansion drops, I'll just wait until then.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I haven't seen a samurai flowchart yet, actually.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not a theorycrafter or anything but it looks like, at BEST, you can do the huge hit every like 30 seconds or so, and even then probably not

slev
Apr 6, 2009

No one has been able to memorize the samurai ability names yet

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

slev posted:

No one has been able to memorize the samurai ability names yet

The best part about the reveal stream was all the pauses where the translator had to work out which japanese words she needed to not translate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbot posted:

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I like the combat quite a bit, which was unexpected, so I thought I'd give PvP a go but since it looks like things may be better when the new expansion drops, I'll just wait until then.

To clarify, the big PvP change is that your class will have 9 unique abilities specific to pvp, and then 2 role-specific abilities (picked from a choice of 5[?]), for a total of 11 + your personal limit break. There's obviously going to be some similarities between your PvE and PvP skillset, but some jobs in particular are going to be changed significantly - Black Mage was the example offered, though no details were provided.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can't wait to be told I shouldn't be using Samurai's hygienebanana skill

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I love that Red Mages literally do a Zorro "Z" as one of their moves.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Choyi posted:

Stormgale posted:

I heard

This, was why I wasn't sure.

...and the world continues to turn. I feel like this is just one of a half-dozen other things that helps continue to cement WAR as the go-to OT. I'm sure if Shadow Fang were still a two-step combo, this would help SE with their "WAR is the overwhelmingly most-popular OT" problem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well Samurai apply the debuff as a mandatory part of their rotation as well so I don't think Warrior's are going to be nearly as mandatory for that purpose.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Well Samurai apply the debuff as a mandatory part of their rotation as well so I don't think Warrior's are going to be nearly as mandatory for that purpose.

True, but in the opener samurai want to hold off with it so getting it for "Free" 5s in is very good

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it will feel very weird having to clip maim so much now. i get why, but it just seems bizarre.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not really a raider but for people who do have you seen anything to challenge WAR supremacy? It's hard to judge damage at this point but they are still the only tank with a slashing debuff and it seems like they still have the best aggro generation with Unchained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Hello. I beat the original Heavensward content but quit shortly after and am now back trying to do patch stuff.

Is there a good decent primer on how to play BLM? I don't remember a drat thing on how to play this class. Trying to find an alright guide through Google and figured someone might be able to point me in a good direction. Thanks!!

I haven't looked at it too closely but this seems like a good one.

TL;DR:

My opener is Quelling -> Sharpcast -> Ley Lines -> F1 -> Raging Strikes -> Enochian -> F3 -> potion -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> (F3 if it procced) -> Swiftcast -> F4 -> F4 -> Convert -> F4 -> B3 -> B4 -> T1 (I might be misremembering, it's been a while). You might not be able to pull that off depending on your spell speed; you might need to drop one of the F4s or something.

Enochian goes 30s -> 25s -> 20s -> hardcast it. Your basic rotation is like F3 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> B3 -> T1 -> B4, repeat. Maintain Enochian at all costs unless you're about to refresh it anyway. You should never need to use Transpose except after AoE (see below) or if you end a fight in Astral Fire.

Sharpcast either after F3 and use it on your F1 or B3 and use it on your T1 to fit it in. Don't ever use T2, and don't use T3 unless you have a Thundercloud proc (at which point there's no reason to use T1 or T2 because it's free and instant cast).

It takes something like 6 seconds to safely do a B3 -> B4, so if you hit 7 seconds left you should stop what you're doing and do that. You get a little more wiggle room under Ley Lines or with more Spell Speed, but not much.

Stat weights are SS > Crit > Det. 284 piety is the magic number for always having enough to do a T1 after B3. You'll need to meld like two Piety materia for this (drop det materia).

Your AoE rotation is simple: F3 -> F2 until you're almost out of mana -> Flare -> [Transpose -> F3 -> F2 -> F2 -> Flare, repeat]. If you're under Ley Lines or Arrow, wait a small amount after the mana tick before you cast F3 or you won't tick again before the F3 finishes and you'll be sad. Don't bother with refreshing Enochian, it's a DPS loss (but feel free to pop it at the start for the 5% damage). Use Convert after Flare if you have it up, and Swiftcast your Flare as well.

Aetherial Manipulation is really good. Put it on something easy-to-access. If you use a mouseover macro you can either mouseover a character model or someone in the party list and hit it to AM to them.

Some of this will change in Stormblood since keeping Enochian up will be piss-easy and Foul will have to fit in there somehow, plus Umbral Heart will change how many F4s you can squeeze in, but I haven't seen any math on it.

• Locked thread