Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simble
May 11, 2004

You guys mean new union president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
NATCA President Ralph McSqueakers

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't know if he could win national president, but he's a shoe-in for RVP.

Edit: I really like Ralph McSqueakers, personally. The name tag just reads "RAT" in giant block letters, currently. News is that he's been shipped off to animal control to be disassembled and checked for rabies.

His name strip will thus go on the retirement wall.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 26, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rat number two spotted on the mid last night.

It's official: I work in a rat-infested shithole.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The rats are actually your new coworkers. They're just on break and getting the lay of the building down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

The rats are actually your new coworkers. They're just on break and getting the lay of the building down.

To be fair, they live here, and everyone else is just visiting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

...Speaking of which, this appeared on our area email list/Facebook.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found out yesterday that our CPC-IT that came from a really low level up-down took a year to check out on ground there. loving how? I've never done terminal but I know that's insanely long, especially for a lovely little regional airport.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

Found out yesterday that our CPC-IT that came from a really low level up-down took a year to check out on ground there. loving how? I've never done terminal but I know that's insanely long, especially for a lovely little regional airport.

To be fair, if it was a really slow airport, then having so little traffic to train on becomes a real pain in the rear end to actually get proficient on. And if it was slow, then I'm guessing ground was probably the hardest position in the facility to check out on. This guy MIGHT have made 1-2 transmissions per training session to train on. Have fun becoming proficient with that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

To be fair, if it was a really slow airport, then having so little traffic to train on becomes a real pain in the rear end to actually get proficient on. And if it was slow, then I'm guessing ground was probably the hardest position in the facility to check out on. This guy MIGHT have made 1-2 transmissions per training session to train on. Have fun becoming proficient with that.

Didn't even think about there being no traffic loving things up. I was just going off what people I work with that have tower experience were saying. They were all talking about ground being the easiest by far(at places that aren't ORD and poo poo) and how bad it was to take that long. The guy is struggling pretty hard with a lot of things so there's a decent amount of negative talking going on. Not sure if I mentioned it in here or not, but the guy had to be talked into not filing a grievance because he thought the maps were too hard.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Didn't even think about there being no traffic loving things up. I was just going off what people I work with that have tower experience were saying. They were all talking about ground being the easiest by far(at places that aren't ORD and poo poo) and how bad it was to take that long. The guy is struggling pretty hard with a lot of things so there's a decent amount of negative talking going on. Not sure if I mentioned it in here or not, but the guy had to be talked into not filing a grievance because he thought the maps were too hard.

Oddly enough, ground at some places where it is busy, where it is often split from the CD/FD position, is MUCH easier than if it is slower and combined with CD/FD.

There could be alllll sorts of things going on.

He could just be a lazy dumbass.

What tower was he from?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

...the guy had to be talked into not filing a grievance because he thought the maps were too hard.

Oh my sweet summer child. :allears:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Oddly enough, ground at some places where it is busy, where it is often split from the CD/FD position, is MUCH easier than if it is slower and combined with CD/FD.

There could be alllll sorts of things going on.

He could just be a lazy dumbass.

What tower was he from?

I'd rather not get into specifics, but I looked it up and they did around 85k ops in 2014 and have several regional jets in and out throughout the day. So while still pretty slow it seems like there would have been a decent amount of opportunities for practice.

MrYenko posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. :allears:

He didn't know anything when he got out of the dysim lab either. Where airports were, what altitudes neighboring sectors had, anything. How the gently caress do you get out of the dysim lab where you did nothing but problems on the sector you're going to be training on and literally not know where any airports are? His FLM went up to the training department to inquire and was basically told "that's your problem now". There's a high probability I would have gotten fired that day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

His FLM went up to the training department to inquire and was basically told "that's your problem now". There's a high probability I would have gotten fired that day.

We recently washed a CPC transfer (from a level 12 ARTCC) who was similarly challenged. I've heard rumors that he had made his transfer intentions known well before certification, and had been pencil-whipped to get him out of the building. He became famous in the area for his first d-side coordination "yo yo point-out comin' at you from da east side, American 1234," and then on his absolute last do-or-die-final radar checkride, ~30 minutes from go-home time, checks the clock and says to the sup giving the checkride "hey sup, I go home soon."

The best part of the story is that he had return rights. :dance:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In addition to our rat problem, we had spiders fall out of the overhead and land on controllers on two separate occasions, today.

I'm beginning to think this building might be trying to tell us something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

He became famous in the area for his first d-side coordination "yo yo point-out comin' at you from da east side, American 1234,"

This should be official phraseology.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any ideas on how I can not be on a training department schedule when I get to Denver? I don't want weekends off ever, but I'm getting there in the middle of ski season and weekends off then is basically my nightmare. I will no poo poo avoid doing one of the things I moved there for while I'm off on weekends.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how I can not be on a training department schedule when I get to Denver? I don't want weekends off ever, but I'm getting there in the middle of ski season and weekends off then is basically my nightmare. I will no poo poo avoid doing one of the things I moved there for while I'm off on weekends.

Make friends with normal people and enjoy a social life for a few months?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Due to an overlap in meetings scheduled for the conference room, I got to sit in on a FacMan new-hire orientation...

Our facility manager actually said "Innovation is an enormous part of what we do here. If we don't innovate, we die."

I almost lost it.

:suicide:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Managers are all about talking about innovation. I was lucky enough to overhear a program manager go on a five minute tirade, during a phone-con, about how the teams weren't innovating or integrating.
"You have to innovate! Being innovative is key to the success of this project! And you have to integrate as well as innovate!! "

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone here work or worked at ZAN?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Thanks to anyone on NorCal Approach or Reno tower for putting up with me and slowing down a bit to read me the wind when I don't pick up on it the first time

Especially the guy who held traffic short of the runway when I was 15 miles out in a 172 :V

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

Thanks to anyone on NorCal Approach or Reno tower for putting up with me and slowing down a bit to read me the wind when I don't pick up on it the first time

Especially the guy who held traffic short of the runway when I was 15 miles out in a 172 :V

o_O

There more to this?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Tommy 2.0 posted:

o_O

There more to this?

Nope, he cleared me to land and then I heard him talking to someone else on frequency to hold short of 16L, my runway, due to traffic (specifically mentioned a skyhawk so I know it was me)

He realized a few minutes later and cleared the guy to leave

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Training in progress.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Training in progress.

Babby's first tower transmission.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

The Ferret King posted:

Babby's first tower transmission.
*Dude on 20 mile final with a guy holding short*
:eng101: "You gonna clear that guy for take off?"
:downswords: "You think he'd make it out in time?!"
:eng99:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One in, one out :cool:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We all started somewhere. I was a well-read aviation enthusiast and did well at the academy. My very first live transmission at my first facility was for someone requesting taxi with flight following.

I had no idea what flight following was.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My first transmission was to a bonanza on an IFR flight plan, telling him to maintain VFR. (I misheard a callsign.)

:grin:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
In flight school I misheard, and improperly read back, a runway assignment for landing (on my first solo flight nonetheless). Tower was not happy with me when I was on final for right instead of left.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

In flight school I misheard, and improperly read back, a runway assignment for landing (on my first solo flight nonetheless). Tower was not happy with me when I was on final for right instead of left.

I mean, what I've learned is that it's ATC's job to catch incorrect readbacks and if they don't correct you, you're legally in the clear

Not that they'll be happy with you, of course, and with good reason. I've had controllers read the incorrect runway to me (when one was closed for maintenance when I left but not closed when I returned) and that's a little shot of self-confidence, catching a controller's tiny mistake :smuggo:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There was a student here that got bitched out by tower on his third solo because he acknowledged an instruction (one non-standard circuit after his touch and go) and then didn't follow it. I told my instructor, who'd been the one to sign him out although he wasn't his normal student, and apparently the dumbassery didn't end there -- the next person who did a walkaround on the plane discovered that the magnetos has been left in the on position after the engine was shut down.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

PT6A posted:

There was a student here that got bitched out by tower on his third solo because he acknowledged an instruction (one non-standard circuit after his touch and go) and then didn't follow it. I told my instructor, who'd been the one to sign him out although he wasn't his normal student, and apparently the dumbassery didn't end there -- the next person who did a walkaround on the plane discovered that the magnetos has been left in the on position after the engine was shut down.

Most pilots are very competent and professional, but I've definitely come across some scary ones. I had the controller give a brasher warning to a lady once after he cleared her for a low-approach, and she did a full stop. She then failed to exit the runway. When she called in and I spoke to her she did not understand what low approach meant, and didn't understand that you have to clear the hold-short bars, not just get your tail over the runway edge, in order to be clear of the runway. It was one of the most surreal conversations I've ever had.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I mean, what I've learned is that it's ATC's job to catch incorrect readbacks and if they don't correct you, you're legally in the clear

Legally, yes, but legality matters a lot less if two airplanes become a single cloud of falling debris. The pilot/controller interface is a huge human factors hotspot, and both parties should be doing everything in their power to ensure that they are both on the same page.

As a reminder, if you miss a readback that I don't catch, I still get to go home after the end of my shift.

Not that they'll be happy with you, of course, and with good reason. I've had controllers read the incorrect runway to me (when one was closed for maintenance when I left but not closed when I returned) and that's a little shot of self-confidence, catching a controller's tiny mistake :smuggo:

A good controller doesn't get annoyed with this sort of thing, and actually encourages it. Personally, if I'm slow enough, I make it a point to thank pilots that confirm things they think they might have misheard, or clearances that weren't sufficiently clear. It's my responsibility, but anyone on frequency (even an uninvolved third aircraft on frequency!) can step up and break the chain of events that can result in an unsafe situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JohnClark posted:

Most pilots are very competent and professional, but I've definitely come across some scary ones. I had the controller give a brasher warning to a lady once after he cleared her for a low-approach, and she did a full stop. She then failed to exit the runway. When she called in and I spoke to her she did not understand what low approach meant, and didn't understand that you have to clear the hold-short bars, not just get your tail over the runway edge, in order to be clear of the runway. It was one of the most surreal conversations I've ever had.

Granted those are bad mistakes for anyone with even a student pilot permit (particularly leaving the magnetos on -- gently caress me!), but it was only his third solo flight. No way you're going to pass a flight test like that.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Legally, yes, but legality matters a lot less if two airplanes become a single cloud of falling debris. The pilot/controller interface is a huge human factors hotspot, and both parties should be doing everything in their power to ensure that they are both on the same page.

As a reminder, if you miss a readback that I don't catch, I still get to go home after the end of my shift.

Oh definitely, and my instructor was very clear on asking for a repeat of any instruction/recommendation/clearance if I didn't 100% hear it the first time, to avoid bad readbacks that could start an issue in any way. I've even requested "resume own navigation" to be repeated to me because I hadn't heard that specific instruction said to me before (because I'm a baby pilot).

Do you have any recommendations for how to deal with ATC other than "have your ducks in a row and your thoughts in order before calling"?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What are the requirements for readbacks in the US? In Canada, they're only required for hold-short instructions unless you're IFR. I got into the bad habit of not reading things back, because for some reason my PPL instructors didn't like it, but now I read everything back, more or less, just because it helps solidify things in my brain, and provides an extra chance for a mistake on either end to be caught before it causes a problem.

That guy I was talking about who got bitched out by the controller for not following instructions? You guessed it: not reading things back.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do you have any recommendations for how to deal with ATC other than "have your ducks in a row and your thoughts in order before calling"?

Brevity is the soul of wit, and also of radio communications.

More seriously, when you tune a new frequency, or if you have a request, break your concentration on other things, and actually listen to the freq for a few seconds, before keying up. I listened to a tape the other day of a loss of separation between two air carriers at altitude, and literally right in the middle of the controller trying to pry two airplanes apart using "Immediately" and other capitalized words (between an immediately clearance and the loving read back,) an Air Canada at cruise breaks in and asks how the rides are.

:wtc:

For a more GA-centric reply, I'd much prefer you make me aware that you're out there and looking for something, and let me ask you for the other info I need, instead of keying up with:

"Uhhhhh center, this is November three one five Mike Romeo ahhhh we're a bonanza bee eee three five slant golf ahhhhh at one thousand four hundred, climbing to five thousand five hundred, one five miles south ahhhhh south east of lakeland, ahhhh that's lima alpha lima, uhhhhh looking for flight following to Tamiami, thats kilo, tango, mike, aahhhhhhhh, bravo."

That guy just wasted thirty seconds of my frequency time, and now I'm behind on six things I need to do with IFR aircraft. If he had just checked on "Center, November three one five Mike Romeo, VFR request," I can get to him as soon as I have a moment, without getting behind on my higher-priority tasks.

Basically, I can make time for a pilot who isn't very good at radio comms, but I can't get time back from a pilot who doesn't realize he's poo poo at it.

Back to jet drivers, unless people are getting hurt or there is a danger to the structural integrity of the aircraft, your ride is pretty much the last loving thing on my plate when I'm busy, but it's almost always the biggest concern of every flight crew on frequency. I can't count the number of times I've been non-stop chain-clearing airplanes in severe-clear smooth-as-glass air and been interrupted by "center, uhhhhhh, delta three-eighty-eight, how are the rides?"

:commissar:

Just be courteous, and try to keep in mind that the controller has duty priorities, and that you might very well be at the bottom of that list.

Standing offer to pilot or dispatcher-goons: If you're in the Miami area, I'd be more than happy to give you a center tour. Some of these things make more sense when you see them from the other side of the scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

What are the requirements for readbacks in the US? In Canada, they're only required for hold-short instructions unless you're IFR. I got into the bad habit of not reading things back, because for some reason my PPL instructors didn't like it, but now I read everything back, more or less, just because it helps solidify things in my brain, and provides an extra chance for a mistake on either end to be caught before it causes a problem.

That guy I was talking about who got bitched out by the controller for not following instructions? You guessed it: not reading things back.

U.S. ATC is required to obtain acknowledgement of instructions from the pilot, including their callsign. Acknowledgement can be "roger," "wilco," or other such remarks. IF a pilot reads back an instruction's contents, the controller is responsible for ensuring that the readback is accurate.

U.S. ATC is required to obtain a specific readback for runway hold short instructions as well.