Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is the OL pretty bad too? If thats the case, they may just have Zaire handle the beating this year so Franks doesnt get shellshocked

McElwain did talk up OL as being "a true strength" for the team next season, and I can see that with Martez Ivey moving to LT and Jawaan Taylor at RT who was solid as a true freshman. But boy, there still isn't much depth in the OL behind the starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Stuff I hope UGA fixes:

1. An offensive line. Really I don't see how it could be worse, and spring games being spring games, it doesn't seem like our 1st string o-line could keep up with our 1st string defense. We have a super nasty backfield with Chubb, Michel, Holyfiled, Herien, and Swift. If we can't run with the, what the hell man. Also, I think that Eason would be a bit better if he had a few seconds to make a throw instead of being under pressure every single snap.

2. Jim Chaney's play calling. Everyone used to gnash their teeth about Bobo doing something dumb, but when Bobo did dumb stuff, UGA was averaging over 35 points a game. I'm not totally convinced Chaney is going to get us where we need to go in the long run. We don't really have any offensive style or consistency as it stands.

3. General game management. Smart was a first year head coach, so I expected some growing pains, so hopefully he grows into the station and learns more of the game-day stuff.

4. Turf at Neyland Stadium so nobody blows any ligaments

Really defense was ok enough to keep us in every game we wanted to be in last season with the exception of maybe Ole Miss. If we can polish the turd that was the 2016 offense and turn it into something serviceable, we should at least be competitive.

5. Be actually watchable.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A few pages back, but holy poo poo, this is amazing

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Apparently Snyder didn't like being humiliated publicly and has granted the transfer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

McElwain did talk up OL as being "a true strength" for the team next season, and I can see that with Martez Ivey moving to LT and Jawaan Taylor at RT who was solid as a true freshman. But boy, there still isn't much depth in the OL behind the starters.

To his credit, Mac has really bolstered OL depth. We had 6 total OL on roster going into Spring 15.

I think we are running closer to 15-16 now.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 2, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I get that, but that's a minor thing and shouldn't outweigh a student's ability to go to the college of their choice.

It is a dumb rule. The NCAA sucks.
Also I do get the idea that you want guys to stay at a school to have a stable environment for their education in theory, instead of leaving every season for whoever offers the best combination of playing time and chance to win, it's just they always manage to implement that in a way that amounts to only loving the players.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jail time for Penn State officials

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sandusky-crimes

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't know how he would've fit into Herman's scheme, but having Zaire at Texas would've been pretty great. We could've used some depth at QB behind Buechele while Ehlinger improves. I can see why he wouldn't want to come here, though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

On another topic, apparently there's a rumor floating around Orangebloods and one of the OU forums saying that Texas and OU are planning to move to the Big Ten in 2022. So far it appears to be coming from one guy on both forums claiming a Big Ten AD as a source.

Pretty much reeks of bullshit, but still somewhat interesting.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Doesn't big10 have their own network? O figured that would be the automatic non starter fo Texas

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is the OL pretty bad too? If thats the case, they may just have Zaire handle the beating this year so Franks doesnt get shellshocked

OL is actually really deep this year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Also I do get the idea that you want guys to stay at a school to have a stable environment for their education in theory, instead of leaving every season for whoever offers the best combination of playing time and chance to win, it's just they always manage to implement that in a way that amounts to only loving the players.

I doubt it would happen that often, but even if it did, who am I to judge?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

While you guys were complaining about Bill Snyder's fake-news "draconian" transfer rules, KSU just won a national championship in Bass fishing

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

2-3 months? gently caress that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

While you guys were complaining about Bill Snyder's fake-news "draconian" transfer rules, KSU just won a national championship in Bass fishing

If that's NCAA-sanctioned, that would be their first-ever national title in anything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

TipTow posted:

If that's NCAA-sanctioned, that would be their first-ever national title in anything.

It's not.

Source: I'm a VT fan. We've also won that title. And no real titles. gently caress.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SEC rules committee shelved UGAs proposal for waiver-free grad transfers within the conference. As it stands now, a school can block a graduate transfer from going to another SEC school and unless the student athlete gets a waiver, which isn't automatically guaranteed, they would have to either stay at that institution or go to another division/conference.

I know Maurice Smith was able to get his waiver from Alabama after a big stink in the news media and social network, but I really feel like you should get that transfer no matter what especially if you graduated. You held your end of the bargain up by getting your degree, you should be able to go to wherever will have you.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Most coaches and schools seem to give in once it gets out to the media, I'm sure because they don't want the negative attention, which in turn could impact recruiting. It sucks it has to go that far, but if I'm looking to transfer and coach starts giving me poo poo for it, blocking only the schools on my list, that'd be the first thing I do.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So is this the thing that will force Snyder into retirement? Not cancer, not a stroke from a fumbled snap, but this?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

John Brown posted:

So is this the thing that will force Snyder into retirement? Not cancer, not a stroke from a fumbled snap, but this?

Bill Snyder could kill a man and they'd let him keep coaching. He will coach until he either dies or voluntarily retires. My money's on him coaching for another hundred years as a brain in a jar.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He's still winning right now. If he gives a couple average seasons and says some more dumb poo poo here and there eventually the tide will turn on him. People swore it couldn't happen to Bowden and then said the same about Beamer. KSU also has a brand new AD and that dude is not going to hitch his wagon to Snyder regardless. If he's anything like VT's (awesome) AD he's already compiling a list and getting ready to move on from Snyder in the very near future.

Bill's done, he just doesn't know it yet. How long he hangs around will be related exactly to how much he keeps winning.

You always have to pry these old guys out with a goddamn crowbar because they don't know when to quit. I don't know about Bowden but Beamer's last few years (where he almost certainly had the same throat cancer as Snyder) he was sickly and miserable every step of the way and it showed on and off the field. The second he retired he realized how awesome his life would be without the sport anchoring him down and that dude loves life right now and you can see and hear that in him every time he makes an appearance somewhere (cue Beamer_ice_cream.gif). I'm sure Snyder would find the same happiness if he just let go of the sport.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 3, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KState has a pretty good team on paper this year. He'll be fine this year unless he drops dead.

What will do him in is the succession plan wrt his son

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Snyder already retired once. It didn't take.

As bad and stupid as this thing is I suspect it's just going to be a minor kerfuffle overall, unless maybe Sutton sues KSU/Snyder for the drug test thing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

If he's anything like VT's (awesome) AD he's already compiling a list and getting ready to move on from Snyder in the very near future.

If he's not he's loving retarded

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

To his credit, Mac has really bolstered OL depth. We had 6 total OL on roster going into Spring 15.

I think we are running closer to 15-16 now.

I've found the complaints from people who should know better (sbnation staff) about florida's offense not being fun to watch under Mac really grating

when you start out with 6 offensive linemen you're going to spend a while just hoping your quarterbacks come out alive

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

I've found the complaints from people who should know better (sbnation staff) about florida's offense not being fun to watch under Mac really grating

when you start out with 6 offensive linemen you're going to spend a while just hoping your quarterbacks come out alive

I complain a lot because the offense was dysfunctional with double the depth even last year and has shown only minimal improvement.

Having said that, it's nice that Mac can still win before his offense gets rolling and even minimal improvement is still an upward trajectory from the Muschamp disaster.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/871197410537594880

Zaire to Florida is now official.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I complain a lot because the offense was dysfunctional with double the depth even last year and has shown only minimal improvement.

Having said that, it's nice that Mac can still win before his offense gets rolling and even minimal improvement is still an upward trajectory from the Muschamp disaster.

Are we still your favorite rival? :ohdear:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

whiteyfats posted:

Are we still your favorite rival? :ohdear:

I'm a 90s kid. Of course you are.

But gently caress UGA and Tennessee too. And Miami.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I'm a 90s kid. Of course you are.

But gently caress UGA and Tennessee too. And Miami.

We just have you guys and Miami, thanks to playing both of you every year for decades.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel kind of numb about it. I know he's a good athlete but I don't know if he's good at football or can stay healthy

Glad we had another body at QB at least

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

I feel kind of numb about it. I know he's a good athlete but I don't know if he's good at football or can stay healthy

I like the depth and I generally think competition is good. But I'd hate to see him take snaps away from Franks who, by all rights, has played like a starter this spring.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I found the best UGA fan youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAgP1okKdQ

It's pro click

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

I found the best UGA fan youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAgP1okKdQ

It's pro click

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stupid loving tennessee fans, I didn't break my tv for you! You're not worth it!

BUT GEORGIA TECH!?!?!?!

/goes and gets hammer

*edit also MY GIRLFRIEND just said, outdoing her sister's husband, I get her extra ticket to UGA-GTech this year.

Please god let me see this happen live.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 4, 2017

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

"Who the hell thinks I'm stupid enough to break my TV over the Tennessee game?"

*Methodically destroys TV while explaining GT is worth destroying a TV over*

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

The performance of the Florida offense in the past two SEC CGs may have been extremely entertaining for you, but it was painful for me. Stranding a top-tier defense on the field was the worst part about it, but that's really par for the course now with Florida.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

It's a QB that performed well when he was healthy and he wants to come to Florida. That's the bright side

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

The performance of the Florida offense in the past two SEC CGs may have been extremely entertaining for you, but it was painful for me. Stranding a top-tier defense on the field was the worst part about it, but that's really par for the course now with Florida.

Last season I became Wolverine longingly looking at the picture frame, with Lamar Jackson's 247 Crystal Ball page showing Florida as his most likely school inside the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Big Vol Daddy is still putting out videos on the reg. Bless his orange wearing heart.

• Locked thread