Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The game's been spitting out USBs at me left and right so maybe I'll get lucky with Cloud. I would trade 3/5 of them for his straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
isn't it stronger as a RW than native?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's gonna be drat strong regardless.

Scenario A: You have Squall BSB2 or another similar high DPS physical burst. You RW Cloud USB.
Scenario B: You have Cloud USB. You RW a Squall BSB2 or another similar high DPS physical burst.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Scenario A: You have Squall BSB2 or another similar high DPS physical burst. You RW Cloud USB.
Scenario B: You have Cloud USB. You RW a Squall BSB2 or another similar high DPS physical burst.

As your scenarios show, native means you can adjust your RW to match boss elemental weaknesses without already having a bunch of other BSBs and leveling up a dozen different characters. You can also use native in materia dungeons, where RWing it isn't an option. Native is pretty clearly superior.

People who say otherwise are just trying to let themselves down gentle before they even pull.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2017

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What's the best physical bursts to match a Cloud RW? Off the top of my head my best raw physical is Zell BSB. And I'm not sure that one really works at all

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thundercracker posted:

What's the best physical bursts to match a Cloud RW? Off the top of my head my best raw physical is Zell BSB. And I'm not sure that one really works at all

Squall BSB 2

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Cloud USB & Squall BSB2 aren't super great together because of the ramp fading on Squall's BSB after burst mode fades. You end up getting 1 nice big hit, but the ramp to get there is pretty mediocre.

if you want to use an iteration bsb with Cloud USB, use Raijin BSB.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Koobes posted:

Cloud USB & Squall BSB2 aren't super great together because of the ramp fading on Squall's BSB after burst mode fades. You end up getting 1 nice big hit, but the ramp to get there is pretty mediocre.

if you want to use an iteration bsb with Cloud USB, use Raijin BSB.

Oh snap. I actually have that. How would the combo go? Raijin BSB, cmd 1, cmd 1, cmd 1, Cloud RW, CMD 2?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Oh snap. I actually have that. How would the combo go? Raijin BSB, cmd 1, cmd 1, cmd 1, Cloud RW, CMD 2?

you'd want to use cmd1 6x to max out the modifier and # of hits, which means having some external stuff to give you instant casts, or just doing it on your second burst. Once you have all the charges, Cloud RW, CMD2 and watch things loving melt for that one hit, then repeat out some CMD2's or something to use up the rest of the benefit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Would Delita BSB be a good option with its native +crit damage buff?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Master BSB would be a good option as well, the crit fixer on the opener is wasted but his CMD2 is a unique ATK and Cast Time buff and CMD1 is a spammable 8 ST physical hits.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Basically if you have a solid en-element bsb, its pretty good with Cloud USB, but you'll get better results using high potency skills(Like Snowspell Strike) to max out its usage in a small period of time.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

For Raijin BSB with Cloud USB RW, how about:

BSB -> cmd 1 x4 -> Cloud USB RW -> BSB -> cmd 1 x2 -> cmd 2

Just thinking this would give the second BSB entry damage under the USB, then still have time to get off the face melting cmd 2. Or would you still be better using the RW right before cmd 2?

Also, why is a high potency skill better than an enelement burst? Wouldn't the additional hits work out to more damage?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Since i hit over 75 mythril again I decided to pull on the black magic lucky and got a dupe marach bsb and Serah's bsb which finally gives me an ice burst I can pair with Laguna's ice imperil. I guess that's worth 25 mythril.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Oryp posted:

For Raijin BSB with Cloud USB RW, how about :

BSB -> cmd 1 x4 -> Cloud USB RW -> BSB -> cmd 1 x2 -> cmd 2

Just thinking this would give the second BSB entry damage under the USB, then still have time to get off the face melting cmd 2. Or would you still be better using the RW right before cmd 2?

Also, why is a high potency skill better than an enelement burst? Wouldn't the additional hits work out to more damage?

Physical enelement bsb commands tend to be a little under 2.0 multiplier. Usually 1.88-1.96. Compare to say, saints cross (3.4) twinstrikes (3.2) snowspell (4.2) or omega drive (up to 5.26).

If you're using cloud usb rw, the number of hits doesnt really matter, because you're pretty much not hitting cap. The goal would be to maximize your throughput for the 15s duration.

Speaking of, cloud usb is undoubtedly big numbers, but I'm not sure how much I care about it. I've cleared all the 250 torments, I haven't struggled with apocs, and apparently they're going to be getting easier. Seems like a thing for mp dickwaving more than anything.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

People who say otherwise are just trying to let themselves down gentle before they even pull.

A slightly unkind characterization but you do have the gist of it. The ideal is to have USB and BSB2, and as you say even having just the USB let's you RW appropriate BSBs. However the primary reason to have it native, Magicite Dungeons, does require it and the BSB2. Anything less and you're no better off than the people that don't have it because BSB1 is too weak to really utilize it, SSBs are a joke to pair with it, and his OSB already breaks cap so it mostly just adds a buff and a guaranteed crit.

All the same, unless you're willing to whale out you should prepare yourself for the possibility you won't get them both.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LornMarkus posted:

The ideal is to have USB and BSB2, and as you say even having just the USB let's you RW appropriate BSBs. However the primary reason to have it native, Magicite Dungeons, does require it and the BSB2. Anything less and you're no better off than the people that don't have it because BSB1 is too weak to really utilize it, SSBs are a joke to pair with it, and his OSB already breaks cap so it mostly just adds a buff and a guaranteed crit.

This is actually not true unless you're going further than just those two relics (imperil wind, etc). Against a neutral enemy, USB + Omega Drive does more damage. Furthermore, Cloud USB + OSB is a good combo if you're being fed SB gauges via Entrust bots because it pretty much guarantees an 80-90k damage hit even against the tankiest wind-resistant enemies.

Cloud USB is +95% damage all by itself, but it requires a TON of party support to really be as powerful as people make it out to be. Zack's Chain SB is the best companion to Cloud USB, and it's actually hard to make both quick and optimal use of Cloud USB outside of Full Throttle battles without it. Without Zack's CSB, you have to work harder to get Cloud's Attack capped and crit damage buffed at the same time, and just plain don't have access to the Wind Chain effect (which does actually work even if you're not dealing Wind damage, as long as the attack has Wind as one of its types).

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Had drifted off from the game and thread for a while, came back to find a pile of lucky draws sitting around!

Support draw got me 2/11 - Faris USB and Ramza USB.

Celerity draw got me 4/11, including Lion's bsb and Tidus' CSB.

Having not followed this thread for a while, what's the appraisal on these?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Faris USB is an amazing mult-target debuff SB that usually interrupts that matches greatly with dances and her Sea Lord's Broadside.

Ramza's USB is an alternate buff from Shout providing a rare ATK/MAG/DEF combo, and gives the party a single instantcast. Both of these are really really good.

Lion's BSB is literally Vaan's BSB except it targets ATK and DEF instead of Vaan's MAG and DEF.

I couldn't really tell you how good Tidus' CSB is myself, but the stats of the weapon are really good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I unlocked the necessary characters and started using some of those fancy new relics.

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

I just threw together the following and it's shredding elite Realm Dungeons without breaking a sweat:
Krile (Fire Lash)
Setzer (Deathstrike Darts)
Aerith (Wizard Staff)
Tyro (Keeper's Tome)
Ramza (Sasuke's Blade)

I got two Keeper's Tomes in my lucky pull, any reason not to fuse them to 6*? I'm keeping the 2x Wizard Staff separate as my relic pool is pretty limited and it's a good caster stat stick, but I think I read the only other tome user is Alphinaud from FFXIV who I don't have unlocked.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BGrifter posted:

So I unlocked the necessary characters and started using some of those fancy new relics.

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

I just threw together the following and it's shredding elite Realm Dungeons without breaking a sweat:
Krile (Fire Lash)
Setzer (Deathstrike Darts)
Aerith (Wizard Staff)
Tyro (Keeper's Tome)
Ramza (Sasuke's Blade)

I got two Keeper's Tomes in my lucky pull, any reason not to fuse them to 6*? I'm keeping the 2x Wizard Staff separate as my relic pool is pretty limited and it's a good caster stat stick, but I think I read the only other tome user is Alphinaud from FFXIV who I don't have unlocked.

Alph and Onion Knight. And no, there's no reason not to combine them. Core synergy might as well not be a thing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
and theres not that many book users

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
After the extremely confusing Marach Record Spheres Celes is a pleasant surprise. She's getting exactly what she needs.

With this shining new Snowspell Strike Celes gets the 99 treatment next. Expecting this Indom runic + SSS to carry me through some specific fights later on.

How does the damage calculation of SSS work if I have +wind sword and armor but hitting an Ice weak boss? Don't have any ice boost gear yet.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Whatever element is the highest damage is the winner. Against an ice weak boss, that's double ice damage so ice is gonna win out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
After a couple days back and getting my head around how the new relics work it seems like the next really huge power increase would be unlocking Tyro and Cloud's RM3s. Is there a shortcut to get ahold of a Memory Crystal 3?

MC2 seems very doable at 99-110 difficulty and I read a guide where I can score one for free abusing friend list summons with the Nightmare missions. But 140-160 difficulty for a MC3 feels pretty out of reach.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

BGrifter posted:

After a couple days back and getting my head around how the new relics work it seems like the next really huge power increase would be unlocking Tyro and Cloud's RM3s. Is there a shortcut to get ahold of a Memory Crystal 3?

MC2 seems very doable at 99-110 difficulty and I read a guide where I can score one for free abusing friend list summons with the Nightmare missions. But 140-160 difficulty for a MC3 feels pretty out of reach.

Honestly, in the short term your closest shot for a MC3 aside of the usual Ultimate reward comes from the Zenith of Crisis Gauntlet (which might be harder) so I'd rather recommend you to use the Orbfest that might come later this month to get your A-Team to the 75-80 level range so you can tackle the U fights.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

BGrifter posted:

Are you sure you need their MC3s? If you want their Record Materia that lets you start with a full SB gauge, you don't need their MC3; having their MC2 is enough. Also, make sure you know HOW to unlock their first two RMs, which you need to do before you can get their third RM to drop. At least for Cloud I know one requires beating a specific Elite storyline dungeon.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

AstraSage posted:

Honestly, in the short term your closest shot for a MC3 aside of the usual Ultimate reward comes from the Zenith of Crisis Gauntlet (which might be harder) so I'd rather recommend you to use the Orbfest that might come later this month to get your A-Team to the 75-80 level range so you can tackle the U fights.

I could be wrong, but usually around an orbfest they have a special daily giveaway or two or three, and there's usually a free MC3 in there. There was definitely one in the roulette prize pool.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
My plan for Cloud USB:

Equip Bartz with me Wind-boost Sword and Wind-Boost armor, and Spellblade-boost RM
Lifesiphon to 1SB, hit Choco-romp (en-wind SB), hit RW
Snowspell Strike like there's no tomorrow

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you sure you need their MC3s? If you want their Record Materia that lets you start with a full SB gauge, you don't need their MC3; having their MC2 is enough. Also, make sure you know HOW to unlock their first two RMs, which you need to do before you can get their third RM to drop. At least for Cloud I know one requires beating a specific Elite storyline dungeon.

Oh it doesn't require the MC3? That's awesome! I'll research the steps tonight. My Cloud is already at 65/65 and I've got a couple possibilities I can likely beat for a MC2 plus a freebie from Nightmare dungeons using the aforementioned friend list trick.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks goons for helping me clear the recent d220s!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

At least for Cloud I know one requires beating a specific Elite storyline dungeon.

Just checked and apparently I got that one in the old Vit0 days. Go past me. So now I just need MC2 crystals for Cloud and Tyro then I can have both! :woop:

The energy bar ticks agonizingly slow when I have stuff like this I want to do.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Holy poo poo, wrath generates a gently caress ton of sb guage now! Welp, looks like all my supports with 2-3 excellent sb's are now my wrath bots.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Mages with Support 4 access are also really good choices for spamming Wrath as well, to the point that Y'shtola, who does in fact have Support 4, has been nicknamed "Wrathcat". Just keep in mind that Wrath does grant a tiny ATK boost, and will overwrite Shout and other SBs that just boost attack.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thanks goons for helping me clear the recent d220s!

in it voted 5. Always happy to help, and to eat spells with Indomitable Blade :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Apparently ultimate short fuse can oneshot Shantotto through power breakdown and a damage barrier. RIP mastery.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Short fuse really, really hurts. I killed it 3 times before I finally didn't lose anyone to it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Apparently ultimate short fuse can oneshot Shantotto through power breakdown and a damage barrier. RIP mastery.

You mean what the A+ FFVIII soldiers use when in weak form? Yeah, it's a piercing attack, so all you can do is stack debuffs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Schwartzcough posted:

You mean what the A+ FFVIII soldiers use when in weak form? Yeah, it's a piercing attack, so all you can do is stack debuffs.

I had Rapha as my only offensive character, used tyro (wall, dances) and Fran (pentabreak BSB, other breakdowns), and Ovelia and Selphie to provide healing/mblink. I don't think an ultimate short fuse hit me, or if I did I was only half paying attention and it didn't kill anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Master of Fate turned out pretty well! First event since coming back and I cleared up to Jail Keeper+++ nabbing a MC2 selector and a bunch of other stuff. Even if I don't progress much further for a bit I'd be plenty happy to kick back, level guys, farm MC2s and 4-5* Orbs for a bit.

Edit: Oh hey. Decided to do a random 100 gem pull and got Selphie's USB. Nice.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 5, 2017

• Locked thread