Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd also grab Strife, Heretic and Hexen if you can. They will run on exactly the same source port(s) and only take up about 70mb combined, and you'll appreciate the variety of some new weapons and enemies if you're only ever playing Doom all the time. All are on Steam and pretty cheap, also Steam summer sale starts in about 19 days so you'll probably be able to grab them at least 50% off.

This might also be a dumb point, but make sure you're bringing both Ultimate Doom and Doom II and not just the first game! (not sure how much you know about custom maps but most of the cool ones made since 1997 are for Doom II)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

What are some good humor wads? I've head of a couple terrywads, intentionally bad wads with a trap/prank (not that funny to me), but I'd be intrigued to hear about some comedy wads.

The Sky May Be loving owns

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

I'd also grab Strife, Heretic and Hexen if you can. They will run on exactly the same source port(s) and only take up about 70mb combined, and you'll appreciate the variety of some new weapons and enemies if you're only ever playing Doom all the time. All are on Steam and pretty cheap, also Steam summer sale starts in about 19 days so you'll probably be able to grab them at least 50% off.

This might also be a dumb point, but make sure you're bringing both Ultimate Doom and Doom II and not just the first game! (not sure how much you know about custom maps but most of the cool ones made since 1997 are for Doom II)

Also Plutonia. A very small number of WADs use that instead I think. Load up OBLIGE and the DoomRL stuff too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

More importantly than the vaping question: what early FPS characters smoke :420:?

e: also, grab the humor wads too, they're largely great

There's literally a Farcry 3 level where you burn fields of :420: with a flamethrower and get baked in the process :350:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

There's literally a Farcry 3 level where you burn fields of :420: with a flamethrower and get baked in the process :350:

I said early, but that level owned

Doesn't it randomly start playing Skrillex when you get baked too?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zaphod42 posted:

The saints row 2 level where you do the same thing is way better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yes it does. And its a Skrillex and Damian Marley collab too, for bonus :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpzGu9Yp6Y

I can't think of anything from early FPS.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

You can get the classic Doom series on either Steam or GOG.com, depending on personal preference and/or location. (By location I mean that the full package with Ult. Doom + Doom II + Final Doom + Master Levels is $15 on Steam, $16 on GOG for an American; but €25 on Steam, €15 on GOG for a European. Yeah, Steam's regional pricing don't make any sense.) Strife is also available on both services ($10 bucks on both). Heretic and Hexen are currently only available from Steam, and the complete collection (Heretic + Hexen + Deathkings) goes to $10. So we're looking at a total of about $35 for legit copies of all commercial games you can run on GZDoom or Chocolate Doom. Less with sales. Typically GOG sales happen earlier than Steam sales, so they should start this coming week or the next.

Then there are some free IWADs you can get; they're listed here.

Once you get all that stuff you can be pretty sure you'll have what you need to run any mod you've downloaded.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh yeah and Adventures of Square is also really cool.

I was also going to suggest getting Duke 3D as well, but then remembered you can only buy the new Gearbox one these days which is pretty overpriced :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

More importantly than the vaping question: what early FPS characters smoke :420:?

I am sure that Corvus and Daedolon smoke "Hobbit pipe-weed." Duke probably enjoys the occasional blunt. I'd like to imagine the pilot from Descent hotboxing the Pyro-GX, but let's be honest, in space it's Plutonium Nyborg or bust.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ancient Aliens starts with you hitting a big peyote pipe so there's that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The berserk pack probably has PCP in it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess the old ones weren't FPSes but the Fallout characters have been partying since 99.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Here's something a friend reminded me of today, this was some next-level mindblowing 3d graphics back in the day (1992):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFdgyuv6fU&t=440s

Queued to the first FPS bit but there's also driving and flying sections...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Here's something a friend reminded me of today, this was some next-level mindblowing 3d graphics back in the day (1992):

SUPER

HOT

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm pretty good at loving with zdoom and all that fun stuff. I was more worried about the portability aspect more than anything.

I've actually played a ton of mapsets but I figure starting from zero will cover anything I forget besides the big ones but I'll take all suggestions because why not I'll have plenty of time.

what I really want is unreal and quake 1/2 but I feel like anything in actual 3D is going to burn through whatever lovely laptop battery I have so I mean

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casual Encountess posted:

what I really want is unreal and quake 1/2 but I feel like anything in actual 3D is going to burn through whatever lovely laptop battery I have so I mean

Doom and especially Doom source ports is going to burn through battery life just as fast as Quake 1 and maybe Quake 2. And some of the more recent GZDoom required stuff probably won't run on slow laptops at all.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I was more worried about the portability aspect more than anything.

If you start up GZDoom once then rename the configuration file to gzdoom_portable.ini, it will use that file from then on instead of looking for a file with the logged in user's account name. Between that and ZDL I've had no issues running from a flash drive to screw around at work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If anything, a game that was fully suited for 3D acceleration from the beginning could be more hardware-efficient. A GPU should generally use less power than a software renderer on CPU, to render the same geometry. If you want to conserve battery, make sure to set the renderer to limit framerate to something reasonable.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

If you are looking for efficient Doom ports, GZDoom isn't a good place to start due to its 64bit floating precision physics, heavily feature branching code and two independent VMs. You actually want to look at the vanilla compatible ports, Chocolate Doom, PRBoom+ and Eternity. PRBoom+ especially is optimized well enough to run even Nuts.wad without a hitch (Chocolate Doom isn't a limit removing port, so only good for strict vanilla mapsets). Turn off interpolation/uncapped frame-rate and those ports will cost almost nothing to run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Modern Quake should already be using 3d acceleration right?

I guess it depends which sourceport you're using if any, but I figure most everything is these days. Like you said Nielsm software rendering just uses more, the only reason to use software would be if you had no graphics card and even lovely laptops still have intel graphics.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Modern Quake should already be using 3d acceleration right?

I guess it depends which sourceport you're using if any, but I figure most everything is these days. Like you said Nielsm software rendering just uses more, the only reason to use software would be if you had no graphics card and even lovely laptops still have intel graphics.

There's still a few ports making a software rendering version I think, but anything that matters uses hardware 3D. For integrated graphics chipsets, it may be worth trying DirectQ (download) instead of an OpenGL-based port.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

gently caress am I going to be playing unreal tournament in a grass hut

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What the hell, even Africa has electricity in any city believe it or not. Where exactly you'll be staying? In a Pygmy village?

That being said, software-mode GZDoom will probably get you covered.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
He said Peace Corp, so I'd imagine he isn't going to be in a metro area like Nairobi or the like. One of my good friends just got back from outside of Juba, S. Sudan and he said they had rolling black outs in the city. Luckily he was on a UN mission so the military contingent didn't have the same issue.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

His only good song.

Any Hell on Earth scenario wads to the grand scale of Hellbound? That one and Hadephobia were the only ones that felt like I was going on this hellish journey.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

nielsm posted:

There's still a few ports making a software rendering version I think, but anything that matters uses hardware 3D. For integrated graphics chipsets, it may be worth trying DirectQ (download) instead of an OpenGL-based port.

Also the Direct3D variant of the Mark V engine. The DirectQ guy helped work on that. Not sure whether it will actually run better than DirectQ on your hardware, but Mark V will be more likely to be compatible with all custom maps (since DIrectQ hasn't been maintained for quite a while now) and Mark V doesn't have some of DirectQ's long-standing bugs.

Quakespasm is also worth a try. It's OpenGL rather than Direct3D but I think is known to be pretty efficient on less-beefy GPUs, as long as their OpenGL driver isn't complete crap.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Negrostrike posted:

What the hell, even Africa has electricity in any city believe it or not. Where exactly you'll be staying? In a Pygmy village?

That being said, software-mode GZDoom will probably get you covered.

Yeah I'm going to Guinea. I don't get my site until I get there but it's highly likely I'm reliant on the solar rig I'm bringing rather than the rolling blackouts in the definitely super rural place I'm going to be in.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

His only good song.

Any Hell on Earth scenario wads to the grand scale of Hellbound? That one and Hadephobia were the only ones that felt like I was going on this hellish journey.

Going Down has a really unique take on the journey into hell. It's not on an epic size like Hellbound though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm tweaking the video sliders in the latest GZDoom on a different monitor than I usually use, and I hate it how every time I hit Esc to pull the menu back up, the whole screen gets covered in an amber filter so I can't actually see how my video adjustments are affecting the scene until I leave the menu. It makes this process much more tedious.

Is there any way remove the filter that comes up in the GZDoom menus?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Copper Vein posted:

I'm tweaking the video sliders in the latest GZDoom on a different monitor than I usually use, and I hate it how every time I hit Esc to pull the menu back up, the whole screen gets covered in an amber filter so I can't actually see how my video adjustments are affecting the scene until I leave the menu. It makes this process much more tedious.

Is there any way remove the filter that comes up in the GZDoom menus?

It's the "dim". You can disable it by setting dimamount to 0 in the console; or through the "menu dim" slider in display options. The default value is -1; amusingly if you change, you can't set it back to -1 in the menu.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's the "dim". You can disable it by setting dimamount to 0 in the console; or through the "menu dim" slider in display options. The default value is -1; amusingly if you change, you can't set it back to -1 in the menu.

Thank you so much. That is really going to make things easier for me.

I also noticed that there is no longer a Stereo\Surround slector in the audio options. I assume it is pulling from the windows speaker settings now? Maybe there is a way to override with console commands, unless I'm wrong about this?

I need to get over to the wiki and do some studying. So that I can play Doom right.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

NoneMoreNegative posted:

God, I had this on DOS back in 1994 or whenever and spend a lot of time with it. When you're a little kid and you don't have that many games to choose from you will willingly play some total garbage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Linguica posted:

God, I had this on DOS back in 1994 or whenever and spend a lot of time with it. When you're a little kid and you don't have that many games to choose from you will willingly play some total garbage.
:same:

I had some shovelware CD full of demos. I remember spending a lot of time with that one, Jetfighter 2 (which you couldn't do poo poo in until you successfully landed on a carrier, which was impossible for a kid), and Links 386 Pro. You know a kid is starved for variety when they voluntarily play a golf sim demo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Copper Vein posted:

I also noticed that there is no longer a Stereo\Surround slector in the audio options. I assume it is pulling from the windows speaker settings now? Maybe there is a way to override with console commands, unless I'm wrong about this?

I need to get over to the wiki and do some studying. So that I can play Doom right.

Probably related to dumping FMOD (for good reasons) and moving to OpenAL, after a transition period where both OpenAL and FMOD Ex were available.

I haven't found anything about stereo/surround settings in OpenAL for GZDoom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When I was really young we went to a Game store and my Dad let me pick a shareware disk to buy, but only one. All the games only had the title and a short description on the floppy sticker, so no clues as to what was good or not.

I briefly looked at Wolfenstein 3D and determined it was probably a game with werewolves fighting Frankenstein and therefore garbage. Instead I chose an incredibly lovely Dungeon Master rip-off (forgotten what it was called now) which I played for about 5 minutes and then never touched again.

Months later a friend told me about this awesome game where you rip Nazis to bits with a chaingun that I could have been playing for months already :smith:

fortunately my brother brought a copy back from Uni months later and much fun was had

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I mail ordered shovelware floppies of shareware games, and I wanted to get Wolfenstein 3D but they didn't offer it. They did offer a game that they described as a Wolfenstein 3D clone, so that sounded awesome! I figured a clone was basically just a sleazy bootleg thing, so I was gonna get Wolfenstein! Yeah!

Turned out it wasn't a sleazy bootleg of Actually Wolfenstein 3D, instead the game was Ken's Labyrinth. :negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_pNdanRHA

Also I didn't have a soundcard back then. Watching that video is actually weird cause there's all this music and digitized voices that I have no recollection of.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 4, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

I briefly looked at Wolfenstein 3D and determined it was probably a game with werewolves fighting Frankenstein and therefore garbage. Instead I chose an incredibly lovely Dungeon Master rip-off (forgotten what it was called now) which I played for about 5 minutes and then never touched again.

Wait, what? That's an excellent pitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I also thought that's what Wolfenstein was until I looked at the back of the box as a kid and became immediately bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
How the gently caress you gonna :negative: Ken's Labyrinth??