Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(don't use this, its dumb, overcomplicates things, and looks wrong in a few spots)

Do RDM get heals or just offensive spells? What about buffs?

I'm sick of tanking so I'm going to be going SAM or RDM, I just don't know which yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sick of tanking so I'm going to be going SAM or RDM, I just don't know which yet.

They get a heal and revive at minimum

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

slev posted:

No one has been able to memorize the samurai ability names yet

I desperately hope there's an option to display the names in English or I'm never going to be able to memorize them either. I can barely keep the ninja abilities straight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I desperately hope there's an option to display the names in English or I'm never going to be able to memorize them either. I can barely keep the ninja abilities straight.

Just start calling them by whatever they do, that's what happens every time a game does this kind of thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zaphod42 posted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InbornAppropriateDwarfrabbit.webm

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

As Sam you can crit big numbers, bigger than this dork

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zaphod42 posted:

They get "Embolden" which increases the RDM's magic damage by 20% and nearby party members' physical damage by 10%. This lasts for 20 seconds, but every 4 seconds the effect diminishes by 20%, so 16%/8%, 12%/6%, etc. It's on a 2 minute cooldown. They also get an AoE Bind spell.

Additionally they can access Addle (lowers targets INT/MND by 15%), Mana Shift (give 20% of your MP to an ally), Apocatastasis (-20% magic damage taken on an ally), and Erase (remove a DoT from an ally).

This clip is cute but it's basically a Non Thing since it completely bottoms out your very-limited MP bar. Even a single Raise is going to be hard to justify if you don't have a BLM feeding you mana for fights of any notable length if people who played in the pre-release events are to be believed.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

It's kinda funny that Red mage is selfish and wants 3 Physical 1 Caster setup

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Additionally they can access Addle (lowers targets INT/MND by 15%), Mana Shift (give 20% of your MP to an ally), Apocatastasis (-20% magic damage taken on an ally), and Erase (remove a DoT from an ally).

I can't imagine a single time a Red Mage would want to GIVE AWAY mana based off what they've described.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Does RDM not have a way of restoring their own MP?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gruckles posted:

Not to the extent of Umbral Ice or Aetherflow no. All they have are the cross-role options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gruckles posted:

They get Lucid Dreaming, a role ability that gives you an 80 potency refresh (and threat mitigation) for 21 seconds. It's basically mandatory I imagine. The cooldown is short enough where you can use it a couple times during a fight if you pop it around 70-80% mana and then on cooldown, but the big worry is that dying as RDM is just gonna be really, really awful because you have no way to spike your now-depleted MP if you get Raised. That and the aforementioned Verraise MP cost.

If nothing else Verraise will be useful in small group content where the difficult comes in short bursts and you have time to get MP back, like Deep Dungeon.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone else think the new areas looked really rough in these preview screenshots? Not sure if it's because the author had a knack for finding the worse views possible or if everything was still missing whenever they were doing media access: https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/31/hands-on-with-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood/

I just remember thinking everything looked awesome as hell when Heavensward was coming out as opposed to mostly brown.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

blm opener stuff

I've hit 1127 spellspeed now and recently revised my opener a bit for phases where I know I can get away with ~40s of dps:
Sharpcast -> f1 -> quelling, enochian -> f3, raging, leylines -> 3x f4 -> f1, convert -> 3x f4 -> b3 -> b4 -> f3 -> 5x f4 -> b3 -> b4.

Ley lines falls off while casting the third fire 4, astral fire falls off shortly after the 5th, but you'll probably be moving for mechanics/aoes right now so just swiftcast it if you missed the spellcast boost. Might have to insert a slight pause between b4 and f3 for the mp tick if you've got arrow going.

Also, any time ley lines is off cooldown but convert isn't and I have enough time, I just do 5x fire 4 twice, fits super easily into leylines with zero downsides. Honestly feels better than the opener to do.

There's not many fights where you can do this more than once or twice (many dungeon bosses will let you just sit around for minutes at a time, but for raids/trials it's not super useful), but when you do it feels extremely good. Explosions forever.

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 4, 2017

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Got my Paladin glamour ready for Stormblood, but drat I kind of want to use it for my Red Mage as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

They get Lucid Dreaming, a role ability that gives you an 80 potency refresh (and threat mitigation) for 21 seconds. It's basically mandatory I imagine. The cooldown is short enough where you can use it a couple times during a fight if you pop it around 70-80% mana and then on cooldown, but the big worry is that dying as RDM is just gonna be really, really awful because you have no way to spike your now-depleted MP if you get Raised. That and the aforementioned Verraise MP cost.

If nothing else Verraise will be useful in small group content where the difficult comes in short bursts and you have time to get MP back, like Deep Dungeon.

I really don't like the 0-MP penalty on death. It just feels uncomfortable and awkward. I get that they don't want people suiciding for MP replenishment or something but it feels like it's either a complete non-penalty or horrifyingly crippling without much rhyme or reason to it.

Tyberius posted:

Got my Paladin glamour ready for Stormblood, but drat I kind of want to use it for my Red Mage as well.

What top is that? It looks really nice overall.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, if you get raised you get just enough MP for to cast a raise, that's enough to get everyone up if you chain it!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ImpAtom posted:

What top is that? It looks really nice overall.
It's the top from the FFXI event a couple years ago. Is probably in the cash shop now?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, whoever set up catgirl.bargains set up https, it's 2017 ffs

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

slev posted:

No one has been able to memorize the samurai ability names yet

Eh. I have zero background in Japanese and I've already memorized a solid half of them just from looking into how Samurai's rotation works. That'll only get easier once I'm actually using them and thinking about what I'm doing in between GCDs.

I think people are really overstating the issue.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

My mch rotation is like breathing at this point but i'd have to look at a guide to tell you all the skill names.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I honestly think they'll be packing whatever their best Ether is on their bar just in case of death or emergency. A HQ Max-Ether is 1700 MP at max (assuming they don't make a better Ether for Stormblood), which is at least enough to do a few spells while you wait for Lucid Dreaming or someone to Mana Shift you. On top of that, they do have weaponskills so they can at least chip while waiting for MP to come back.

That said, yeah, please don't die future Red Mages.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh. I have zero background in Japanese and I've already memorized a solid half of them just from looking into how Samurai's rotation works. That'll only get easier once I'm actually using them and thinking about what I'm doing in between GCDs.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely overstating it. But at the same time why does it have to be untranslated? Is it for MY IMMERSION? I'm pretty sure the Domans don't even speak Japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely overstating it. But at the same time why does it have to be untranslated? Is it for MY IMMERSION? I'm pretty sure the Domans don't even speak Japanese.

It's absolutely for immersion. Other Final Fantasy games actually do the same thing. FFV's skills are stuff like Mineuchi and Zeninage these days.

Edit: Could people please stop fighting the avatar war over my avatar. I really appreciate people being nice about it but I'm feeling crappier that people are wasting money because someone is an rear end in a top hat than I am about the avatar in the first place.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not "my immersion", at least in the derogatory meme sense, it's just a matter of feel/class fantasy. It's why all the fencing skills for RDM are in French, it just gives a bit more flair and personality to the class.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I generally think of which button to hit as a touch feeling instead of a name. It's been years since I picked up ninja and I still have no idea what the second part of their combo is called because who thinks like that during a rotation? Getting it in you fingers or thumbs or whatever is more important anyway.

Making fun of super weeb names is a proud tradition round these parts, though. :colbert:

Also, impatom, your avatar is quickly becoming a national treasure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I generally think of which button to hit as a touch feeling instead of a name. It's been years since I picked up ninja and I still have no idea what the second part of their combo is called because who thinks like that during a rotation? Getting it in you fingers or thumbs or whatever is more important anyway.

Making fun of super weeb names is a proud tradition round these parts, though. :colbert:

Also, impatom, your avatar is quickly becoming a national treasure.

Idk this is just an alien way of thinking to me. Picking stuff like that up is just automatic, it's not even something I strive to do.

Fister Roboto posted:

Perhaps if you'd spent more time STUDYING THE BLADE you could answer this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's absolutely for immersion. Other Final Fantasy games actually do the same thing. FFV's skills are stuff like Mineuchi and Zeninage these days.

Edit: Could people please stop fighting the avatar war over my avatar. I really appreciate people being nice about it but I'm feeling crappier that people are wasting money because someone is an rear end in a top hat than I am about the avatar in the first place.

You could always just stop caring about your avatar. Sounds like the cheapest solution to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You could always just stop caring about your avatar. Sounds like the cheapest solution to me.

I did and people were still changing it back and forth. That's why I asked in the first place because I don't even know who is changing it, just that they're reading this thread. v:shobon:v

Like I said, I don't mind if people are nice but at this point it's just dumb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh, I assumed that you had been buying your old one back.

This is even weirder.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Just remember that every time an rear end in a top hat changes your av, they're depriving themselves of almost all of a potential Moogle Outfit purchase.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 4, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

The assholes are at least thirty bucks poorer, if it makes you feel any better.

I'm not worried about those guys, I just feel bad for the people trying to be nice. I really don't mind and just want them to stop because they're $30 poorer now too.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Its pretty funny at this point.

Edit: it literally changed as I posted this. Amazing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I think that one is a work of art and if it keeps going I can't wait to see what it looks like next.

Only thing to really do is laugh at the situation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And the avatar war still wageth on...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In discussion not about my stupid avatar:

They mentioned a while ago they were working to adjust previously terrestrial-only mounts to be flying, right? Have they said anything about which ones they might do that for?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In discussion not about my stupid avatar:

They mentioned a while ago they were working to adjust previously terrestrial-only mounts to be flying, right? Have they said anything about which ones they might do that for?

Which ones are left? Letting the Magitek armors fly was the number one biggest thing and I love it, but I think ponies fly already, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Which ones are left? Letting the Magitek armors fly was the number one biggest thing and I love it, but I think ponies fly already, right?

A friend of mine bought the Odinhorse from the store and was complaining about it not flying which is actually what brought to mind. I don't know if that's changed since he did it though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, I assumed that you had been buying your old one back.

This is even weirder.

GOOOOOOOOONS

Also to reference a question awhile back, WAR supremacy is probably going to go forward more if only because it's got a lot of inertia. Even with all of the new things that DRK and PLD are getting, it's going to take a pretty big change in the way the encounter design is for their trend to get bucked.

Although with the changes, PLD/DRK is more viable if only because now there's no reason for NIN to not to put their slashing debuff on the mob. Even with WAR OT the NIN is going to overwrite it eventually thanks to having it tied to Shadow Fang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

This wait for release is bad for my attention span. I keep checking out other MMOs like GW2 just to fill in time.

• Locked thread