Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I've just noticed that after using Kuma's rage art, the fish continues to flop around the stage indefinitely. Proof that video games are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It gets a lot easier to understand Tekken if you think of it as 80s/early 90s pro wrestling filtered through a heaping dose of self-aware anime

Paul needs a 2 by 4

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this story mode supposed to be this stupid like is it self aware or is t supposed to be this serious

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is this story mode supposed to be this stupid like is it self aware or is t supposed to be this serious

Yes

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tekken is self-aware except for the Mishima storyline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I've just noticed that after using Kuma's rage art, the fish continues to flop around the stage indefinitely. Proof that video games are art.

I love that he has a customization of "Backup salmon"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's probably supposed to be a little stupid, maybe not as stupid as it actually is but definitely not an insignificant amount of intentional stupidity.

E

ROFL Octopus posted:

Other than most things about Heihachi.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished the story and special chapter. Something tells me the story mode (story and gameplay) was made by someone who really likes Heihachi

Also loved the QTE that the game doesn't tell you about when you finally beat Akuma. Better press a button quick or you're dead and have to do the fight from the beginning again!

Yodzilla posted:

Also Eliza is adorable without being overly anime and pretty drat fun to play.
I have some bad news for you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I finished the story and special chapter. Something tells me the story mode (story and gameplay) was made by someone who really likes Heihachi

Also loved the QTE that the game doesn't tell you about when you finally beat Akuma. Better press a button quick or you're dead and have to do the fight from the beginning again!

Who doesn't really like Heihachi?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ROFL Octopus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COraVN56LE

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heihachi is the best and the coolest.

hosed up he didn't kill his son again in Story Mode though. He deserved to win.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Your Computer posted:

gently caress hell, I keep dying in story mode even on the easiest difficulty. Devil Kazuya in the volcano is just comboing me like crazy, literally everything he does has superarmor and then when he finally dies he just ressurects and loving finishes me off in a single combo

The story parts are hilarious, but whoever designed the gameplay parts deserves the guillotine

e: and that's not mentioning his constant rage arts, ability to teleport out and counter-attack mid-combo and also you being at like 10% HP from the start :suicide:

Jesus can anybody help? I'm so tired of doing this over and over. What's the cheap assed win button for this?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

5er posted:

Jesus can anybody help? I'm so tired of doing this over and over. What's the cheap assed win button for this?

Once he hits rage for the first time just start turtling until he uses his rage art or drive. Then he loses his superarmor and you can start comboing him again. When he does it the second time though you just gotta deal with it. He won't use his rage art so you don't have to worry about the insta-kill but he won't lose super armour either so you have to hope you have enough hp left over to eat some hits from him as you chip away the rest of his life bar. Luckily he still takes full damage from attacks and everything so after like 3 good hits he should be done.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Once he hits rage for the first time just start turtling until he uses his rage art or drive. Then he loses his superarmor and you can start comboing him again. When he does it the second time though you just gotta deal with it. He won't use his rage art so you don't have to worry about the insta-kill but he won't lose super armour either so you have to hope you have enough hp left over to eat some hits from him as you chip away the rest of his life bar. Luckily he still takes full damage from attacks and everything so after like 3 good hits he should be done.

You're a saint. That advice did it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So how does throw teching work? I read this article but I'm not exactly clear on the timing.

http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Throw

So 1 + 3 throws can be teched by pressing 1, 2+4 with 2, and then 1 + 2 for uh, the others? Do you tech on reaction/how big is the window? Is there any good way of knowing whether the throw you're getting hit with is a 1+3 and which is a 2+4 or does that just generally require a shitload of character knowledge?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just to check: when a combo says d/f does that mean tap down tap forward or quarter circle from down to forward?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That means tap down forward, 3 in anime notation. Just the one. It's not a double tap or a qcf.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

attackmole posted:

So how does throw teching work? I read this article but I'm not exactly clear on the timing.

http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Throw

So 1 + 3 throws can be teched by pressing 1, 2+4 with 2, and then 1 + 2 for uh, the others? Do you tech on reaction/how big is the window? Is there any good way of knowing whether the throw you're getting hit with is a 1+3 and which is a 2+4 or does that just generally require a shitload of character knowledge?

They changed how it works in T7, now you can break "normal" throws (2+4 or 1+3) with either 1 or 2. It's still pretty quick though, so breaking on reaction is a bit tricky.

Real hurthling! posted:

Just to check: when a combo says d/f does that mean tap down tap forward or quarter circle from down to forward?

In Tekken notation d/f is diagonal down/forward. d,f means tap down, then tap forward, and qcf means quarter circle forward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish Tekken didn't have its own weird notation

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

In Training posted:

I wish Tekken didn't have its own weird notation

Tekken is the biggest game so it's every other notation that's weird :colbert:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

tyblazitar posted:

They changed how it works in T7, now you can break "normal" throws (2+4 or 1+3) with either 1 or 2. It's still pretty quick though, so breaking on reaction is a bit tricky.

Cool, thanks. Any idea about command throws? I'm doing some googling around and found some articles saying that those still require a 'specific' input to break, but uh, they don't seem to mention what it actually is. 1+2? Does it change depending on the throw? Also, in general, does 1+2 work on normal throws or does it only want one input for those? E.G. Can you option select and just tech with 1+2 for everything? That seems like it would be too easy but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

attackmole posted:

Cool, thanks. Any idea about command throws? I'm doing some googling around and found some articles saying that those still require a 'specific' input to break, but uh, they don't seem to mention what it actually is. 1+2? Does it change depending on the throw? Also, in general, does 1+2 work on normal throws or does it only want one input for those? E.G. Can you option select and just tech with 1+2 for everything? That seems like it would be too easy but I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

1+2 does not break normal throws, and for command throws I was under the impression that it's generally 1+2, but I'm not sure. If it's not, then you'll probably have to break with the correct punch button, aka the one used in the throw. The way to tell which one that is is generally to just watch which hand they use to grab you, left hand means 1, right hand means 2 (that's how the normal throws worked before T7).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool cool, appreciate it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Realistically I should just play and try to understand space movement and internalise my characters good pokes and try to not be garbage but I'm the kinda guy who freaks out if he doesn't understand how exactly every mechanic works.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 4, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When like king or whatever gets you on the ground and just styles on you with wrassle moves for 40 seconds what is happening and what do you do? It looks like a cutscene almost

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
See above conversation on throw breaks, except his crazy wrestling chain all requires an exact command to break I think. Each throw can be broken so at each step of the chain if you tech right you can end it, but you have to press the exact right button to break it. What's the exact right button for each part? gently caress if I know, but this article

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/323cfc/tekken_7_new_school_throw_breaking/

says that 1 is the best button to try to break with against him so maybe that's a thing????

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

In this guide under the command throw section for King they talk about some of the different breaks for each of his moves but there's (hopefully) something more comprehensive out there somewhere.

Anyways I don't actually know/can do any of this poo poo, I'm the blind leading the blind, but I was literally asking that question to myself half an hour ago and those are the resources/info I found

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008
1 is the best break in open ground as thats the break for giant swing, his most damaging throw (the one where he spins you round & round).

I have no idea against chain throws, either spend an eternity in training mode learning the breaks or mash and pray

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahaha, Devil Kazuya on Treasure Mode Rage Burst is instant kill. Nearly perfect on health and getting hit by that out of nowhere just killed my 31 game win streak.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I'm streaming PS4 online tourneys, get in chat and post your PSN if you wanna join!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?jmcrofts?live

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This is what I'm loving talking about. :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jmcrofts is steaming an online tourney right now, setting up right now

Edit: As noted in the post above me. Those tutorial videos were really helpful so hopefully this is interesting

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

attackmole posted:

Cool, thanks. Any idea about command throws?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icaOdA7HSOU&t=356s

Here's a timestamp to the video section that will help you with this. For command grabs, basically when a throw happens the throw animation shows either their left or right arm extended more than the other, or both arms extended the exact same amount. Left arm extended is a 1 break, Right arm extended is a 2 break, and both arms showing the same amount is a 1+2 break.

Keep in mind some characters break this visual rule (like King) with a few of their grabs (his Giant Swing is a 1 break but looks like a 1+2)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Hahaha, Devil Kazuya on Treasure Mode Rage Burst is instant kill. Nearly perfect on health and getting hit by that out of nowhere just killed my 31 game win streak.

Same with Super Heihachi. Lost at 29. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Your Computer posted:

I have some bad news for you

Yeah but she's good anime.

gently caress yes.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm streaming PS4 online tourneys, get in chat and post your PSN if you wanna join!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?jmcrofts?live

This link didn't work for me, so if anyone else has the same issue here's the link to Chilldog's stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDK2_3Ft_zc

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 4, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
getting customization stuff is really stupid. either cheap move spam braindead ai for hours in order to get the items for the character you're using and not one of the 3 dozen others, or play tournaments & actually have fun but take days instead because you get like 3 items after a half hour

it rly stings too when the chest is just money, like i'm not already drowning in this poo poo and unable to spend any of it because 80% of the things I'd want to spend money on are locked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King's Okada outfit and the Bullet Club shirts are unlocked from the beginning so I don't know if I even need to bother with chest drops.

I like Treasure Mode though because it has funny outfits.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

getting customization stuff is really stupid. either cheap move spam braindead ai for hours in order to get the items for the character you're using and not one of the 3 dozen others, or play tournaments & actually have fun but take days instead because you get like 3 items after a half hour

it rly stings too when the chest is just money, like i'm not already drowning in this poo poo and unable to spend any of it because 80% of the things I'd want to spend money on are locked.

Put the controller on Turbo with a kick move also bound to Confirm and let it run for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hahaha loving WOW

there is no rematch option in private matches, you get booted all the way back to the menu and have to repick character and level and reload everything.

Japanese devs really don't know a loving thing about game design, I gotta stop taking NRS for granted because simple things don't seem to be that simple.