Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sean10mm posted:

You can flip the millions of pure idiots who voted Obama in 2008 or 2012 but chose Trump in 2016. And you can turn out everyone else.

I think you get 90% the way towards those ones by just having not Hillary Clinton as the nominee next time. That would make a pretty huge difference. Which depresses me because I thought she'd make a great President. But, most people I guess don't agree there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

How do I explain to people that "but the stock market is up!!!" actually doesn't mean poo poo when they use it as a rebuttal to every possible economic concern.

Stock prices are based on the perception that companies are doing well and thus in aggregate it represents the perception that the economy is doing well, but a company can be perceived as doing well for doing things that don't actually help the economy at all.

But, possibly don't bother, because there's at least some element of truth to "stock market going up = economy doing well" and they'll seize on that as meaning they're right instead of entering into a discussion of how stocks are detached from actual economic health.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

There's plenty of young Republicans in Texas. It's such a culturally Republican place that voting for another party is nearly unthinkable.

Oh please, young people in Texas are pretty much like young people everywhere. The cities are the same as cities elsewhere. Yes, the rural areas are "culturally Republican" but even that is changing slowly. When I was in high school in my tiny Texas hometown the idea that any of my classmates were gay was complete anathema. Of course, now that we are older plenty of them have come out as gay and even a few as trans. Today, there are plenty of openly gay students in the same high school despite it being very "culturally Republican"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

How do I explain to people that "but the stock market is up!!!" actually doesn't mean poo poo when they use it as a rebuttal to every possible economic concern.

If they're righties, show them a graph of the stock market over the 8 years Obama was in office and their opinions about stock prices indicating economic health will become nuanced real quick.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Ask them why when The friend of the family was in control being high meant nothing/was bad for reasons, and why it means good now?(similar thing for when it's low)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Ask them why when The friend of the family was in control being high meant nothing/was bad for reasons, and why it means good now?(similar thing for when it's low)

:staredog: yea ask them this don't change a thing

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

D-Pad posted:

Oh please, young people in Texas are pretty much like young people everywhere. The cities are the same as cities elsewhere. Yes, the rural areas are "culturally Republican" but even that is changing slowly. When I was in high school in my tiny Texas hometown the idea that any of my classmates were gay was complete anathema. Of course, now that we are older plenty of them have come out as gay and even a few as trans. Today, there are plenty of openly gay students in the same high school despite it being very "culturally Republican"

Young Republicans are much, much less homophobic than they used to be. Doesn't mean they aren't Republican. Although they often describe themselves as "libertarian" (and then vote Republican.)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

"The stock market is up 10% this year. Are your wages up 10%?"

"Probably doesn't mean much for folks like you and I"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

:staredog: yea ask them this don't change a thing

might as well ask about gas prices too and print out that political cartoon and rub it in their face.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Xae posted:

Naw man, it's gotta trickle down you see

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Might as well ask see if you can flip their BS min. wage thing at them too.

"poo poo now that McD is up x% their burgers will go up x% too rrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttt?"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/871159252471164929

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

Xae posted:

To continue on this line...

Ask them the last time they ate a piece of stock.

If they start in on money being fungible tell them they're right and then ask them when the last time they sold stock and moved the money into a checking account. Call them out on bullshit by Asking them to tell you etrades commision rate.

If they gave straight answers to all of those then congrats they are in firm Republican voter territory.

The next stretch will be to get them to imagine their income is cut to minimum wage earner and then see if how they would still be able to answer the above. Press them on budget specifics if they give you the I'm a completely rational actor bullshit.

That last leap (empathy) is the real hurdle. Good luck.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Young Republicans are much, much less homophobic than they used to be. Doesn't mean they aren't Republican. Although they often describe themselves as "libertarian" (and then vote Republican.)

Texas is at least 40% Democratic or so. Austin and San Antonio are strongly blue, Houston is on aggregate pretty blue, Dallas... *waggles hand*. poo poo, goddamn College Station had one of the less awful Blue Dogs in the federal House until the teapocalypse.

I mean, there's a lot of work to be done, but your original statement was dumb hyperbolic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think you get 90% the way towards those ones by just having not Hillary Clinton as the nominee next time. That would make a pretty huge difference. Which depresses me because I thought she'd make a great President. But, most people I guess don't agree there.

Sadly, I agree. HRC would have been a wonderful president, but there were plenty of people who hated her after 30 years of knocking on the glass ceiling. The upside is by taking broadsides for her entire career, she made it much easier for the next woman to do it. There's a lot of people out there who absolutely hated her but who would love to deny that they are misogynists by supporting a different woman instead.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Kaal posted:

Sadly, I agree. HRC would have been a wonderful president, but there were plenty of people who hated her after 30 years of knocking on the glass ceiling. The upside is by taking broadsides for her entire career, she made it much easier for the next woman to do it. There's a lot of people out there who absolutely hated her but who would love to deny that they are misogynists by supporting a different woman instead.

I think if Warren ran she'd get a lot of the same hate. It probably wouldn't be so powerful without a 30 year run up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Palin could always run again.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think if Warren ran she'd get a lot of the same hate. It probably wouldn't be so powerful without a 30 year run up.

Or lets just stop electing olds, they already have proven they have an inclination to doing things the way they've always been done and I would prefer to encourage soft revolution. Not no experience mind you but we surely have people who could do the job who haven't hit retirement age yet.

Retirees should be showing kids how to not gently caress up basic historical lessons, not taking world stability and seeing who can do the best belly flop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

No, I've never heard of the IRA, why do you ask?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Glumslinger posted:

No, I've never heard of the IRA, why do you ask?

That's actually not 100% true for all the stridently anti-Islam sorts. Bill Maher, noted N-word-saying Enthusiast and Islamophobe, has repeatedly talked about, if the IRA were still a big thing, he'd be okay with being scrutinized/profiled based on his heritage, ergo Muslims and/or Arabs should be okay with that too.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

That's actually not 100% true for all the stridently anti-Islam sorts. Bill Maher, noted N-word-saying Enthusiast and Islamophobe, has repeatedly talked about, if the IRA were still a big thing, he'd be okay with being scrutinized/profiled based on his heritage, ergo Muslims and/or Arabs should be okay with that too.

What a lucky coincidence that he's talking about a purely theoretical scenario so we don't know how he would actually feel if it came to pass.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Some of yall over estimate the regressive hate machine and how fast it starts up, they turned the race hate up pass 10 for Obama in 2008 as soon as he won the DNC, so any new "female" is going to be the new Hillary and we'll get "Hillary was the last reasonable female(but she's still a oval office)."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

PT6A posted:

Astonishingly, in real life, Irish people were not happy about that. With good reason.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Darrell Issa got poo poo all over at a townhall today :laugh:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Texas is at least 40% Democratic or so. Austin and San Antonio are strongly blue, Houston is on aggregate pretty blue, Dallas... *waggles hand*. poo poo, goddamn College Station had one of the less awful Blue Dogs in the federal House until the teapocalypse.

I mean, there's a lot of work to be done, but your original statement was dumb hyperbolic.

I've been slowly developing the opinion that if rich progressive benefactors like Soros and Buffett really want to start regaining control of the country, the thing to do is to start funding some nonprofits tasked with resettling low-income liberals out of expensive blue states and into urban enclaves in red states. Places like Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Tucson, Little Rock, and Charleston. Conservatives have seen the way the demographic winds are blowing, and are doing everything they can to push out immigrants and people of color from their last bastions of white hegemony. But a concerted effort in the opposite direction would be very effective at overcoming the systemic disadvantages faced by urban liberals. And there is already movement in that direction - businesses are trying to move out of the expensive coastal cities and into more affordable locations, and they are bringing progressive attitudes with them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Meanwhile, in Steve King's district:

https://twitter.com/williampetroski/status/871134463157297158

seems problematic

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 4, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Barbe Rouge posted:

What a lucky coincidence that he's talking about a purely theoretical scenario so we don't know how he would actually feel if it came to pass.

Oh, indeed so. I imagine he would, in fact, be quite upset about being the victim of racial prejudice, as most people would be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Meanwhile, in Steve King's district:

https://twitter.com/williampetroski/status/871134463157297158

seems problematic

I'm sure the media won't blame the victim or anything.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Kaal posted:

gently caress off

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

I've been slowly developing the opinion that if rich progressive benefactors like Soros and Buffett really want to start regaining control of the country, the thing to do is to start funding some nonprofits tasked with resettling low-income liberals out of expensive blue states and into urban enclaves in red states. Places like Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Tucson, Little Rock, and Charleston. Conservatives have seen the way the demographic winds are blowing, and are doing everything they can to push out immigrants and people of color from their last bastions of white hegemony. But a concerted effort in the opposite direction would be very effective at overcoming the systemic disadvantages faced by urban liberals. And there is already movement in that direction - businesses are trying to move out of the expensive coastal cities and into more affordable locations, and they are bringing progressive attitudes with them.

Unless you are talking about enough people to tip the state's popular vote, that does the same thing as gerrymandering. Atlanta and Austin already go Democratic. I wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans does also. Making the areas even more Democratic just ensures the Blue incumbents don't have to actually do anything since they know their seats are safe.

Urban areas in the South already vote largely Democratic, but the cities are smaller in relation to the state when compared with places like New York State.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

. I wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans does also. Making the areas even more Democratic just ensures the Blue incumbents don't have to actually do anything since they know their seats are safe. .

Except people like John Lewis are some of the best people in congress.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

PhazonLink posted:

Can we not do this? I know the right is super racist but this tendency to use the n word in hypotheticals is probably not the greatest idea.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Some of yall over estimate the regressive hate machine and how fast it starts up, they turned the race hate up pass 10 for Obama in 2008 as soon as he won the DNC, so any new "female" is going to be the new Hillary and we'll get "Hillary was the last reasonable female(but she's still a oval office)."

Pretty much. I've got little faith in the next election featuring a female presidential candidate being anything but a repeat of 2016 with different faces on the same old boogeymen. I look forward to hearing how X just can't be trusted, is totally unlikeable, has a super shrill voice, has no stamina, and is responsible for her husband's every action (and ahaha if she's not straight married).

And if she loses she is the worst candidate to ever have run for the office in the history of the universe and she should now leave politics forever and ever and never say another word in public again.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

Oh, indeed so. I imagine he would, in fact, be quite upset about being the victim of racial prejudice, as most people would be.

lmao, defending bill maher right now

e:
lest we forget what just happened:

quote:

It happened like this on the HBO show Real Time With Bill Maher. The host is interviewing his guest, Republican Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska. At one point, the senator recommends that Maher visit his state and work the fields. Maher looks at the senator quizzically, raises his hands, and then says: "Work in the fields? Senator, I'm a house friend of the family." Some in the audience laugh. Maher laughs at what he perceives as his exceptional wit. The senator stares at his host blankly. And Maher, maybe realizing he has said something that might be deeply offensive, attempts to brush it off with: "It's a joke."

but yeah, bill maher is definitely not a racist

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Except people like John Lewis are some of the best people in congress.

John Lewis is great, but he's old and the person who replaces him won't be as good. Gerrymandering keeps mediocre politicians in office because they don't have to fight for their seats.

Even in places like Atlanta where White people are moving back in, it just means the Democrats being elected are a different race. I don't know of any city that got more Republican over time. Even NYC which seesaws back and forth goes from centrist Democrat to liberal Republican back to centrist Democrat.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Eeyo posted:

Seriously. Was there any development done on the plot? Did he get lucky and have a plot somewhere where there was development?

I mean -$100 million on your income sounds pretty sweet, you'd get at least like $10 million from taxes you wouldn't have to pay right? Unless I don't understand it.

Edit: apparently the property is filled with crumbling buildings and some have asbestos problems (which stopped development of a dog park).

quote:

Signs at the Donald J. Trump State Park in New York are being defaced or stolen faster than the state can replace them.

This last Tuesday state park employees from the Albany were putting in new improved signs with metal posts sunk deep in concrete and sturdy metal signs to replace the laminated cardboard signs on wooden posts. The workers, who requested anonymity, said the older signs have had to be replaced at least once a week. The transfer agreement from DJT to the state requires only that the name must be prominently displayed at the entrances to the park.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e:

Wtf,doesn't the state now own it, like yeah that bs might be in the contract and in good faith/as a good sport they should honor it, but if the gov. owns it they can do whatever.

alpha_destroy posted:

Can we not do this? I know the right is super racist but this tendency to use the n word in hypotheticals is probably not the greatest idea.

I didn't want someone to go "n-word? you mean neolib" joke, that's my (lovely)excuse, but I'll keep behind this line in the future.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 4, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

It is any Democratic contender. Period.

Who ever jumps out to an early lead in the pre-race bullshit will get targeted by Talk Radio and RWM hard.

Hopefully in the distance year of TWO THOUSAND AND TWENTY people on the left won't take the bait and buy into all the conspiracy bullshit the RWM throws out.

... right?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stone cold posted:

lmao, defending bill maher right now

e:
lest we forget what just happened:

but yeah, bill maher is definitely not a racist

Haha what a loving moron goddamn.

e: i mean Maher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

They should stop replacing them, citing budget cuts.

• Locked thread