Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Futaba gets that first bonus too?

Futaba gets to prevent one otherwise lethal attck which Rise doesn't get. And Futaba's ability works with any teammate, not just the MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

Palace 7:

I don't get why everyone was so forgiving of Goro. Like, even until the end he was confessing new crimes of how he functionally lobotomized folks for fame.

Where was the 'Good riddance' option?

To be fair: There was nobody to tell 14 year old Goro how to use the Metaverse "properly" and the kid was completely hosed up by living in Japan's hellish foster care system. He didn't do it "for fame". He did it as a broken substitute for the love he never got as a child and to get close to Shido, who made his life a living hell. Shido noticed how much Goro craved attention and used it to manipulate him and planned to kill him after the election. Although it's never made explicit, Shido does threaten Akechi when he shows hesitation about murdering more people.

Also it looks like Shido ordered all the murders and Akechi just used his powers to make people go berserk before that? https://p5spoilersblog.tumblr.com/post/160739427635/image-credit-hello-naughty-children-i-am-going-to

Making people go berserk to solves fake crimes is terrible, but telling Goro to gently caress off is ignoring Shido's much greater evil.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maybe double check what thread you're in.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

AlternateNu posted:

Futaba gets to prevent one otherwise lethal attck which Rise doesn't get. And Futaba's ability works with any teammate, not just the MC.

No, Rise had that too. She'd nullify the first attack in any battle that would've otherwise killed any party member, and resurrect Narukami the first time he died in a battle.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

P5 ascended the quality of people you could date so wildly, that they had to prevent you from dating Yusuke or Goro so our heads didn't explode

idk i still find it creepy how you can date ALL the women in P5 for no reason. I don't mind female confidents but allowing you to date everyone and then ditching them on V-day as a joke :catstare:

I've already come to terms how Atlus will never let me date Yusuke and Akechi but I can always write 1,000 fanfics dedicated to our anime BFs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

Palace 7:

I don't get why everyone was so forgiving of Goro. Like, even until the end he was confessing new crimes of how he functionally lobotomized folks for fame.

Where was the 'Good riddance' option?

I thought this was the single most annoying thing in the game and the only scene where I started skipping dialogue because I wanted it to be over. Akechi is a lovely terrorist and a mass murderer. It does not matter what terrible excuses people like to make, that poo poo is irredeemable and he deserves no pity. The way every single loving character instantly forgets about the countless people he's killed and lives he's ruined because of his sob story is infuriating, and also completely out of character for futaba whose entire motivation so far has been finding out who killed her mom (I don't recall if revenge was ever a stated goal of hers, but she's clearly bitter about it). Haru's dad was killed less than two months ago and she joins the "poor akechi" train too.

I badly wanted a dialogue option to tell them to wake the gently caress up, but apparently the game wanted me to sympathize with some lovely terrorist too. I did not.

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe double check what thread you're in.

They probably posted it here since they aren't done with the game yet and don't want post-palace 7 things spoiled.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Digirat posted:

I thought this was the single most annoying thing in the game and the only scene where I started skipping dialogue because I wanted it to be over. Akechi is a lovely terrorist and a mass murderer. It does not matter what terrible excuses people like to make, that poo poo is irredeemable and he deserves no pity. The way every single loving character instantly forgets about the countless people he's killed and lives he's ruined because of his sob story is infuriating, and also completely out of character for futaba whose entire motivation so far has been finding out who killed her mom (I don't recall if revenge was ever a stated goal of hers, but she's clearly bitter about it). Haru's dad was killed less than two months ago and she joins the "poor akechi" train too.

I badly wanted a dialogue option to tell them to wake the gently caress up, but apparently the game wanted me to sympathize with some lovely terrorist too. I did not.

They probably posted it here since they aren't done with the game yet and don't want post-palace 7 things spoiled.
No one "forgets" what Goro did, everyone is acutely aware of it. Ryuji says almost word for word after you finish the fight "I feel awful for what happened to him, but I can't forgive him." Futaba understands what's it like to lose your mother, for both her and Goro, that was the turning point of darkness in their lives. Haru's father is awful, but she still feels terrible of what happened. Like Futaba, Haru knows extremely well what it's like to hate your father, to see them as a monster, but also want their respect and love too. Haru and Futaba beg Goro to join them, to get back up and take care of the real problem, because the same thing happened to them. They were all lost, but Goro's the only one who took a darker path because he never had anyone to pull him out of it. No one forgives Goro or thinks Goro Did Nothing Wrong, but they are his friends, his peers and are extremely similar to him, they every reason in the world to be sympathetic to him and feel empathy for his struggle and fate.

You seem weirdly angry at the fictional emotionally abused seventeen year old who did awful things, but not at the adult man who did countless crimes including abusing the seventeen year old and driving his partner/wife into suicide

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 3, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

You seem weirdly angry at the fictional emotionally abused seventeen year old who did awful things, but not at the adult man who did countless crimes including abusing the seventeen year old and driving his partner/wife into suicide

And you're weirdly enamored with a sociopathic, unapologetic serial killer/terrorist :shrug:

I mean, all the other targets (bar Shido) have hints of tragedy to their backstories but are still treated with an appropriate amount of contempt by the characters and the game. Shido gets treated by the game as he deserves to be treated, Kamoshida gets treated like he deserves, same with Okumura, Kaneshiro, and Madarame. Akechi gets the poor baby treatment because the writers know that fans will consider him more fuckable than the rest of the villains and that's frustrating to me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's OK to like troubled fictional characters and have different video game opinions.

Alacron posted:

Akechi gets the poor baby treatment because the writers know that fans will consider him more fuckable than the rest of the villains and that's frustrating to me.

I don't understand this part of the reasoning. It's true Akechi does have a cool character design but most people like him because they can relate to him in some way. He's one of the few teen villains who is completely screwed over by the adults in society and goes missing for the final half of the game.

I can't speak for everyone who is a Akechi fan but he's a dark mirror image that could have been Joker if he hadn't found Mona earlier which is interesting to me. No one is going around murder is good on forums :shrug:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He also gets the poor baby treatment because he's a teenager who did about as well as expected for someone who was gifted a power by a Gnostic god that allowed him to alter people's hearts and minds, who in the end realizes that he's gone too far and sacrifices his life to help the good guys. Like what do you want? To see him drawn and quartered? He gets the poor baby treatment because he's literally a poor baby, and not a grown man in his 30's who should know better than to sexually abuse teenage girls. Judging Goro's murders along with every other target's crimes under the same Crime Is Bad argument is narrow minded to me. Saying that Goro is no better than Kamoshida or Shido I feel ignores what Persona 5 tries to say about the toxicity of the older generation and the system that perpetuates the problems and abuse.

Goro did bad things and should go to therapy and prison, saying Yo gently caress That Teenager, Glad He Died Alone In A Cruiseship, Can't Believe His Peers Feel Bad For Him is just bananas to me. I don't think you're bad or dumb for not liking Goro, that's fine, go for it, this game has lotsa characters, but I just think it's an odd reading of the character.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Moltrey posted:

No one "forgets" what Goro did, everyone is acutely aware of it. Ryuji says almost word for word after you finish the fight "I feel awful for what happened to him, but I can't forgive him." Futaba understands what's it like to lose your mother, for both her and Goro, that was the turning point of darkness in their lives. Haru's father is awful, but she still feels terrible of what happened. Like Futaba, Haru knows extremely well what it's like to hate your father, to see them as a monster, but also want their respect and love too. Haru and Futaba beg Goro to join them, to get back up and take care of the real problem, because the same thing happened to them. They were all lost, but Goro's the only one who took a darker path because he never had anyone to pull him out of it. No one forgives Goro or thinks Goro Did Nothing Wrong, but they are his friends, his peers and are extremely similar to him, they every reason in the world to be sympathetic to him and feel empathy for his struggle and fate.

Actually they aren't similar at all, owing to the fact that akechi is a mass murdering terrorist and the phantom thieves are not. :laffo: at them being friends with akechi when they spend just about the entire game up to palace 6 barely tolerating him at best and actively hating on him at worst, and only pretend to be his friend after that because they already know he is going to betray them and need to fool him.

quote:

Nobody was even talking about shido there so I'm not sure why you seem to expect me to do so, and none of the characters (or posters on this forum, ho ho) get weirdly forgiving of him. Which is explicitly what I was talking about as opposed to the character himself. People rightfully consider shido to be irredeemable trash as he's the person who was orchestrating the series of crimes you experience throughout the entire game, but like to ignore that akechi carried out every one of those crimes for purely selfish reasons and is just as responsible for them. I do not give a fraction of a gently caress about the excuse that "shido was the one who told me to perform the equivalent of a subway bombing! All I did was do it!"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Akechi gets used and abused by the system yes, but so do most of the targets in the main game and in Mementos. And every time one of them starts to lay out a sob story for why they do the lovely things they do and the game and the characters say they're full of poo poo. It's a running theme that you have to own and atone for your sins and having a sad backstory is no excuse. All of the Phantom Thieves have sad backstories but they make the decision to rise above it and help people rather than wallow in their self pity and perpetuate the system that wrongs them.

Akechi was never forced to do what he did. He approached Shido, he made the decision to be a murderer for hire in order to elevate his own status. Saying that he's a mirror image of Joker, and if only he'd had friends or Mona around he would have been a hero is feeding into the same victim complex that so many of the other villains have. "It's not my fault that I'm a rapist/a fraud/a con artist, this lovely society made me that way" is consistently called out as bullshit, that you can't point fingers and try to excuse your own awful behavior.

Also:

Alder posted:

It's OK to like troubled fictional characters and have different video game opinions.

Don't try and pull this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This when argument always reminds me of Dzhokar did nothing wrong. He wasn't to blame it was his brothers toxic ideas and thus he isn't at fault and should be freed!

And those people are rightly laughed at.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

This when argument always reminds me of Dzhokar did nothing wrong. He wasn't to blame it was his brothers toxic ideas and thus he isn't at fault and should be freed!

And those people are rightly laughed at.

And we have the most idiotic, tasteless post made in this thread to date, well done one and all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
taking this to the spoiler thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

And we have the most idiotic, tasteless post made in this thread to date, well done one and all.

Indeed. :colbert:

Although it looks like that particular Tumblr fad died away finally.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, Akechi rules huh?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that's a good boy right there

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

ADTerminal posted:

Does anyone know how you use the DLC personas, and DLC outfits? I've bought a few and now I feel like I've been robbed because I can't find them anywhere :negative:

I've seen others just say they show up in the compendium etc but they don't seem to be there

As a follow on to this, I realize the reason the DLC isn't working is that I'm playing a US box copy of the game while buying DLC on the UK store

If I make a new user on my ps4 that can access the US PSN store and buy it through there, will it work when playing on my UK account?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm gonna quote this for later

For what it's worth, that's technically wrong because you don't get the stat gains every rank!

Each Confidant that gives stats does it on specific ranks, and by default there's no way of knowing if you're going to get the stat boost or not. Emphasis on by default because I made a list of it for my own convenience:

Ohya (Devil) gives Charm on ranks 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8;
Yoshida (Sun) gives Charm on ranks 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Sojiro (Hierophant) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7;
Shinya (Tower) gives Kindness on ranks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8;
Iwai (Hanged Man) gives Proficiency on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10;
Takemi (Death) gives Guts on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8;
Hifumi (Star) gives Knowledge on ranks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Alder posted:

idk i still find it creepy how you can date ALL the women in P5 for no reason. I don't mind female confidents but allowing you to date everyone and then ditching them on V-day as a joke :catstare:

I've already come to terms how Atlus will never let me date Yusuke and Akechi but I can always write 1,000 fanfics dedicated to our anime BFs.

I wouldn't mind this so much if they didn't all act so disappointed when you say no. It makes me feel so bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

I wouldn't mind this so much if they didn't all act so disappointed when you say no. It makes me feel so bad.

Wouldn't it be weirder if they weren't disappointed?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Badger of Basra posted:

Haru's the only one that makes me feel a little bad.

I think I'd probably date Ann if I had to pick one, but that'd make my cat feel bad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, she looks drat-near devastated when you turn her down.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wouldn't it be weirder if they weren't disappointed?

I wouldn't mind but then again I don't date irl either. I think rejection isn't the worst possible outcome and you get used to it over time if you ever do job searches.

I miss my catte so much.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think I'd probably date Ann if I had to pick one, but that'd make my cat feel bad.

Agreed, I can't date Ann for this reason because Mona would be disappointed in me and I care too much for him.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ADTerminal posted:

As a follow on to this, I realize the reason the DLC isn't working is that I'm playing a US box copy of the game while buying DLC on the UK store

If I make a new user on my ps4 that can access the US PSN store and buy it through there, will it work when playing on my UK account?

As long as Game Region and DLC Region match up, you're good regardless of the region of the account you're actually playing on.

Keep in mind that in order to buy things from the US PSN store, you'll need either a US-issued credit/debit card, or some PSN wallet codes. You can buy these from Amazon US with no markup, even with a foreign payment card, as long as you enter some bogus US-based billing address.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Alder posted:

Agreed, I can't date Ann for this reason because Mona would be disappointed in me and I care too much for him.
If she didn't have the ears and tail, he wouldn't even be interested in her.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

If she didn't have the ears and tail, he wouldn't even be interested in her.

No. Ann is very stylish/cool but I wish her SL was about ANYTHING but modeling. I would settle for how she feels like a foreigner in Japan and how parents are always busy/moving around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alder posted:

No. Ann is very stylish/cool but I wish her SL was about ANYTHING but modeling. I would settle for how she feels like a foreigner in Japan and how parents are always busy/moving around.

Her SL isn't really about modeling it's about her actually giving a poo poo about something and trying.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Does Mona still get horny over Ann if you date her? I can't imagine he wouldn't be aware since he goes with you everywhere but I never tried dating her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are like three dialogue changes tops from dating.

So no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Does Hard Mode tone the gently caress down after Kamoshida's dungeon? My MC was one shot from full by an angel's first attack in the tower and that's just kind of lovely

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tir McDohl posted:

Does Mona still get horny over Ann if you date her? I can't imagine he wouldn't be aware since he goes with you everywhere but I never tried dating her.

Well Morgana goes off to wander by himself whenever you're with a Confidant, so he's not there when you first date her and if you take her on subsequent meetings.

He's not on the school trip, which is when you can spend romantic time with Ann.

So the first time he knows and has a specific reaction to it is if you spend time with her on Valentine's.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does Hard Mode tone the gently caress down after Kamoshida's dungeon? My MC was one shot from full by an angel's first attack in the tower and that's just kind of lovely

The second palace tones it down somewhat, but every palace has its own 'screw you up' mobs. Palace 5 is probably the first one that felt like all the mobs were fairly straightforward and that one's dumb for other reasons.

Making heavy use of Ann and Ryuji's status effects will save you more than one life though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tir McDohl posted:

He sighs sadly each time during holidays. I can't bear to make my cat sad so I watched the events on YT :sigh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm wrapping up confidants before I go into palace 7 and it looks like I hit the party member wall where they need to beat the dungeon to do confidant links :/

I actually did quite well for myself though. I thought I wouldn't be anywhere close to making it but other than hangman being extremely low and Makoto being stuck at 5 (sorry not maxing charm now) I pretty much maxed everyone surprisingly.

Also I killed the reaper twice and now I'm guessing palace 7 is gonna be a sleepwalk

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are always at least some enemies that are well above the average level for that palace--usually these are the guys that glow red when you use Thief's Eye--but they're less troublesome as you assemble more and more tools to deal with them. There is however a 'secret' which the game never spells out--mini bosses can use the same model as a trash mob but they don't always share the same weaknesses. The first time you see that enemy model it's the mini-boss in the chapel which has no weaknesses so the game can cram a tutorial down your throat. The regular version is weak to lightning.

When I was running Palace 1 on Hard, I never bothered fighting those guys. Ambush them, nail them with a Zio, and ask for money or an item just to force a retreat. Uses up less resources, in my experience. Even an All-Out Attack might not kill them at that point, and as you've seen they can hand you your rear end in one turn. (Especially since you lose if Joker gets KO'd.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I used the curse ability I fused from Arsene to deal with those the next time I tried. Made it through the dungeon in 4 tries, which is a little annoying because I was at the throne room in 3 and got tripped up by that last shadow outside :argh:

Did most people get there in 3 on hard?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah it does.

Like guy said, demand money or items from red shadows you can't handle, like rando archangels. Be level 11 (I think) to beat the boss. Media and Tarunda completely change the flow of the battle while ryuji is doing the mini-op.

The rest of the game is pretty satisfying on hard, except the bosses​ who feel unfair. Almost all of them treat their "big attacks" like a damage check. Dungeon 5 is especially bad for this. Get into the rhythm of topping off Tarunda with Ann when needed (and later, marakukaja).

Keep the (high) debuffs in mind too. The Oni in dungeon 3 really hate Mind skills like brainwash and confusion. Random Thoth in dungeon 4 I headbutt to inflict Forget, or confuse with pulinpa.

The Karn spells are real good. The enemy damage being multiplied hits just as hard when you bounce it back. Good way of covering weakness too. My end game team ended up being Makoto, Haru and Ryuji for those reasons.

I'm also very fond of Hamaon and Light Boost but that's a later game thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Oh also Repel Phys chumps most of the game but you probably knew that.

I did my first playthrough on hard and it was frustrating sometimes but I don't regret it.