Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Thread - you better be right, Speed Queen stackable set was delivered today. Hope it was worth the premium.

The thread was right. I never should have left my speedqueens at my last house ~12 years ago. The only reason I haven't replaced what I have now is because of laundry room space/need to stack (which, who knows...maybe the offer than 12 years later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Congrats you don't have to worry about your laundry appliance for 30 years next problem. I wish everything in housing had an answer like that

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To those looking at buying a house, keep an eye out for backyards that face south when you live in an area that boasts about having 300 days of sun a year:

Took us two years of deciding what to do and a year of saving cash but..

Before (with bonus pupper (who is a very good girl)):

After:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

okay that's nice but how did you turn that dog into a patio cover?

e: oh the dog just became one of the columns, I get it now

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

okay that's nice but how did you turn that dog into a patio cover?

e: oh the dog just became one of the columns, I get it now

Look, I told her not to look back when running away and she did. It's not my fault she chose to become a pillar.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Higgy posted:

To those looking at buying a house, keep an eye out for backyards that face south when you live in an area that boasts about having 300 days of sun a year:

After:

Look at all that solar potential. :swoon: If those walls and attic don't have insulation, adding it is a cheap way to increase indoor comfort dramatically on top of the shade structure keeping the sun off.

What kind of patio cover is that and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? We're looking at doing something similar for our yard.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Motronic posted:

The thread was right. I never should have left my speedqueens at my last house ~12 years ago. The only reason I haven't replaced what I have now is because of laundry room space/need to stack (which, who knows...maybe the offer than 12 years later).

They make a stackable set. That's what I got.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Is the same true of Míele? Our designer is pushing them pretty hard. If they are worth 2-3x the cost of "regular" appliances in durability and maintenance I can get on board.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

Is the same true of Míele? Our designer is pushing them pretty hard. If they are worth 2-3x the cost of "regular" appliances in durability and maintenance I can get on board.

Consumer reports says they have a high repair rate, but also that everyone who owns them loves them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

They make a stackable set. That's what I got.

Sweet. Next time I have to even think about a repair on the ones I have now I know what I'm doing.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Look at all that solar potential. :swoon: If those walls and attic don't have insulation, adding it is a cheap way to increase indoor comfort dramatically on top of the shade structure keeping the sun off.

What kind of patio cover is that and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? We're looking at doing something similar for our yard.

Walls and attic are insulated, summers get up to ~110 F around here so it's more or less a necessity. The shade from this patio awning has already made a big difference on the temp of the house which is amazing.

This one ran around $5K including labor for a 12 ft x 24 ft area and is made with roll-formed aluminum (I think). Pretty durable, but lightweight, the posts are anchored with 3 2x2x2 blocks of cement directly underneath the patio so that sucker ain't goin anywhere.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I don't know how big of a deal it is but weber recommends putting grills 10+ feet away from the house.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's near the end of the slab at ~11-12 feet so we're good there. Not super worried about the enclosure since it's metal based but I've toyed with rolling it over the totally exposed patio section just to be safe.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Miele appliances:
If you want a quiet and effective vacuum they are amazing. Maybe be a little gentle with it. A few screw flanges on ours broke but that was with kids jumping around on it. If you want durable and don't care about noise get a riccar instead.

We love their dishwashers and the only problem we notice is a slightly annoying beeping signal when the cycle ends.

Washer dryer, the old full size ones had some issues with sensors and software and dryer sheet goop would clog the dryer filter. Maybe this is fixed now, I don't know. I have heard only good things about the small units though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It doesn't matter if the enclosure is metal or wood or gasoline or space mithril, use your brain and don't fire up a grill three feet under a roof people.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Higgy posted:

Walls and attic are insulated, summers get up to ~110 F around here so it's more or less a necessity. The shade from this patio awning has already made a big difference on the temp of the house which is amazing.

This one ran around $5K including labor for a 12 ft x 24 ft area and is made with roll-formed aluminum (I think). Pretty durable, but lightweight, the posts are anchored with 3 2x2x2 blocks of cement directly underneath the patio so that sucker ain't goin anywhere.

My neighbors were all telling me I should cut down the trees in my yard, so I'd be able to grow grass easily. But all the shade made our highest electric bill last summer only $95. I'd rather have the lovely yard than the higher bills.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What nice neighbors, asking you to sacrifice your own wallet for their property values

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

grass is antiquated

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Your neighbors are idiots keep your trees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Not all trees are good. My PO put a bunch of Leyland Cypresses along the back fence. These trees grow very quickly, but have a shallow root system, so when we had unusually strong storms this last winter, they all tipped over. Now that they're gone, my back yard gets so much more light.

I guess in your case you already have too much light. :v: Some of us aren't so fortunate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trees are often awesome but some types of trees do suck, it's true

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The huge sycamore in my front yard was planted directly on top of my sewer line, and is very large and therefore very expensive to have removed. It's also a riparian tree: that means it wants to grow along a river, its roots seek the water, and it wants plenty of water. I'm in Concord, CA, which is hot and dry all summer and so my tree is always looking kind of crap and bare because gently caress if I'm going to flood my "lawn" three times a week just to water this drat tree. I hope it dies and falls over into the street so I can just make an insurance claim and be rid of it.

That's not going to happen though, so probably sooner or later I will have to either cough up like ten grand to have it removed, or pay the probably only six to eight grand to have a completely new sewer line routed not under the tree or else pay for trenchless sewer line replacement under the tree.

I'm hoping I can just continue to get away with $160 every 1-2 years having the roots in the sewer line cleaned out. Maybe we'll sell the house eventually and it'll be someone else's problem.

Meanwhile, a year after we moved in we had a tree up against the foundation removed, and now that side of the house shifts a tiny bit between winter and summer as the clay expands and contracts, so we have cracks that open and close (only maybe 1mm wide at the worst, nothing threatening the structure, but ugly and annoying).

Trees can really suck. Plant climate appropriate (ideally native) trees well set back from your house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The developers of our neighborhood planted some very pretty trees that eventually grew up to be huge, and apparently these trees have huge roots that are really shallow. The trees are planted just beyond the sidewalks, away from the houses, so no foundations are risked but the sidewalks are totally hosed. Very pretty pink blossoms that rain down throughout the summer, some neighbors grumble about the mess but I think it's worth it

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sperg Victorious posted:

My neighbors were all telling me I should cut down the trees in my yard, so I'd be able to grow grass easily. But all the shade made our highest electric bill last summer only $95. I'd rather have the lovely yard than the higher bills.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the parts of my grass exposed to the most sunlight are all yellowing despite not receiving any more or less water than the rest of it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Higgy posted:

Thanks. This seems to be what we will get, I am hoping to get one with solar on top of it. We had the same problem at my parents house, west facing wall of sliding glass doors (3 of them, one 3 panel). Built a shade structure and grew a vine over it which promptly paid for itself in reduced cooling.

Bibendum posted:

Miele appliances:
If you want a quiet and effective vacuum they are amazing. Maybe be a little gentle with it. A few screw flanges on ours broke but that was with kids jumping around on it. If you want durable and don't care about noise get a riccar instead.

annoying beeping signal when the cycle ends.

Sounds like a "no". I hate that my washing machine beeps when the cycle ends. Not enough to open it and epoxy the buzzer, but enough that I don't start laundry if I want quiet. The same model-and-line dryer has a selector to disable it. Thankfully right now washer/dryer is all we are looking at, and if we don't go stacked it's just the washer. I'm pretty sure it will really offend our designers sensibilities to put our opaque-metal-door GE Profile dryer next to a Speed Queen fancy window door washer but he gets paid either way.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It doesn't matter if the enclosure is metal or wood or gasoline or space mithril, use your brain and don't fire up a grill three feet under a roof people.

You aren't the boss of me. :mad:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Looks like my first real homeowner issue has arisen.

I bought an old house that was renovated. New appliances, HVAC, plumbing, wiring the works.

They installed a tankless water heater. Today, after living here a total of a week, the water heater conked out, throwing an error message saying the drain pipe is clogged. The drain pipe goes to the outside of the house, so not an easy fix for me.

To make matters worse, the builder did not register the water heater for warranty purposes, so even though the manufacturer gives a 10 year warranty, I am ineligible as the appliance had to be registered within 35 days.

Very loving annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So I understand that the drain pipe is outside but can you not access it?

Mine exits the house and runs along my deck away from the house. You should look to see where it exits and drains and then, uh, try to unclog it. Get a snake or something.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So I understand that the drain pipe is outside but can you not access it?

Mine exits the house and runs along my deck away from the house. You should look to see where it exits and drains and then, uh, try to unclog it. Get a snake or something.

Mine exits onto the driveway. I really don't want to go buy a snake to try and do this poo poo on my own, I have no experience or expertise and would gently caress it up.

Apartment living was very nice :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The drain being blocked would not be covered by warranty and the warranty would probably not be transferable anyway. I suggest a plumber, not the one that did the shoddy install.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

They installed a tankless water heater. Today, after living here a total of a week, the water heater conked out, throwing an error message saying the drain pipe is clogged. The drain pipe goes to the outside of the house, so not an easy fix for me.

To make matters worse, the builder did not register the water heater for warranty purposes, so even though the manufacturer gives a 10 year warranty, I am ineligible as the appliance had to be registered within 35 days.

The drain pipe being clogged is likely not covered by warranty, but tell that vendor to get stuffed: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.7

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Tree chat: gently caress trees anywhere near power lines. We had a storm that brought along a derecho (or three) on 5/27. I JUST got power back this morning, 202 hours after losing it. I was going to trim the trees along the fence that are technically my neighbors (the power lines also run along that fence, and the trees are intertwined with the lines now), but now I'm thinking we need to fully remove them. If they ever fall, they will first take out power, and then take out my house.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The other poster is right about it likely not being transferrable, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The other poster is right about it likely not being transferrable, though.

"Full" warranties follow the warrantied item, not the owner. Don't let them lie to you about that either.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#titling

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got 6 oak trees in my front yard, so there is no sunshine nor water for grass. Going to cut down half of them eventually, but that poo poo's expensive. Even worse I have 10 pine trees in my back yard, and I want 7 of them gone. At least I have grass back there, though.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Speaking of, I've been meaning to have grasschat.

This poo poo sucks and covers about a quarter of my lawn: http://imgur.com/ZYmAiUO It mostly hugs the house in areas where there is not a lot of sun during the day.

This also sucks and covers maybe 40%: http://imgur.com/BDhAOR5 (The thorny-looking moss. The actual grass here is nice, although not near as luxurious as: )

This stuff is awesome and I want it everywhere: http://imgur.com/v1tYW4d It's so soft and fine and looks so good, the picture doesn't do it justice.

I guess the main priority is getting rid of the moss (?) from picture two. That picture shows it intermingled with decent grass, but there's areas of the lawn that are entirely that stuff and no grass at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Why would you cut down trees to plant grass? That is dumb as hell.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would much rather have the trees. My backyard is basically just a treeless expanse of grass and I hate it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I disagree :shrug: Although I'm not getting rid of all the trees. Just a few in the front so that I have something other than what it looks like below, and the ones in back that are close enough to fall on the house or on power lines.

http://imgur.com/42h3W3f (it was flash flooding, my drainage situation is bad but not as bad as it looks!)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hmm guess I should have done something about that 12" hole that opened up in the winter cover a couple of months back

tried running the vacuum, and it clogged the vacuum line and the filter in about 10 seconds with a solid chunk of pine needles. I've already scooped out 2 five gallon buckets of leaves, algae and pine needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

CloFan posted:

I disagree :shrug: Although I'm not getting rid of all the trees. Just a few in the front so that I have something other than what it looks like below, and the ones in back that are close enough to fall on the house or on power lines.

http://imgur.com/42h3W3f (it was flash flooding, my drainage situation is bad but not as bad as it looks!)

Spend the money putting in a storm garden if it's do-able in your climate with native species. Even if you get rid of trees and put in sod, this is going to happen.