Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Eltoasto posted:

LaVar's meltdown if he gets passed over by the Lakers would be the best moment of the draft. It would almost be as good if they trade the pick and the small market Pacers select him.

I want this to happen for the Schadenfreude. Even better if Lonzo turns out to be amazing :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Ball ends up the Sixers, I cant wait for Lavar's first appearance on WIP with Eskin

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Ball ends up the Sixers, I cant wait for Lavar's first appearance on WIP with Eskin

That amount of rear end in a top hat being in the same room would violate the laws of physics.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If it turns out that Kevin Love is playing hurt, I'm going to be so upset
Injuries should not be allowed

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
His dad is irrelevant, he shouldn't be drafted in the top 5 because he's not a top 5 player.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dejan Bimble posted:

He looked pretty garbage despite grabbing 21 rebounds

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mike Brown now 13-0 in the playoffs. Perhaps the GCOAT.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is Chris Bosh a hall of famer or just a hall of very gooder?

Yes, not too many eligible non-HOFers have more than his 106 WS:

code:
Player		WS
Buck Williams	120.09
Horace Grant	118.23
Jack Sikma	112.46
Terry Porter	110.39
Larry Nance	109.57
Detlef Schrempf	109.52
Jeff Hornacek	108.87
Otis Thorpe	106.39

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

His dad is irrelevant, he shouldn't be drafted in the top 5 because he's not a top 5 player.

I don't know if you and I are prematurely soured on him by watching him be dismantled by NBA caliber athletes.

I'm trying to think of him in a positive light and not as like a thick pg Corey Brewer but with really great transition passing instead of running to catch lobs in transition. So like a thicker Ronnie Brewer? I know that's not fair but god drat it's not to imagine him failing hard.

Let's check the boxes supposedly in his favor
1. Height at pg- This allowed him to shoot over smaller players with his ear catapult shot in college. Removing the height from that shot will make it easier for longer faster small guys in the NBA to guard him.
2. Passing- his passes in transition are lovely but in the half court it's like he just doesn't know what to do, and defenses aren't afraid of him getting to the rim because of his poor handle, when he does get to the rim he does a few shuffle dribbles and passes out.
3.Three point shooting - issues we've already touched on
4. Defensive Potential - Until he does it I won't believe it, he's also not that agile so his defense against small squirty pgs might not be as good as people expect

Weaknesses
1. Ball handling, he's not special with the ball when he isnt running the break
2. hosed up shot mechanics, though he makes them, so we can call that a yellow flag, for now
3. Lack of PNR creation, he just hasn't done much of it and so he seems kind of stumped once things slow down
4. Defense - Not very good
5. Athleticism/quickness - Average for an NBA prospect, gets very little elevation off of either one or two feet

I think his best Case is to tighten his defense and learn a floater and be a bigger Rubio esque player. But that would mean a ton of development on d and in the half court.

Worst/expected case, He's Ronnie Brewer with less athleticism and more passing.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but man I would not draft him, gently caress no

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 4, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dejan Bimble posted:

Poor guy's headed for a DNP: SHOOK

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't know if you and I are prematurely soured on him by watching him be dismantled by NBA caliber athletes.

I'm trying to think of him in a positive light and not as like a thick pg Corey Brewer but with really great transition passing instead of running to catch lobs in transition. So like a thicker Ronnie Brewer? I know that's not fair but god drat it's not to imagine him failing hard.

Let's check the boxes supposedly in his favor
1. Height at pg- This allowed him to shoot over smaller players with his ear catapult shot in college. Removing the height from that shot will make it easier for longer faster small guys in the NBA to guard him.
2. Passing- his passes in transition are lovely but in the half court it's like he just doesn't know what to do, and defenses aren't afraid of him getting to the rim because of his poor handle, when he does get to the rim he does a few shuffle dribbles and passes out.
3.Three point shooting - issues we've already touched on
4. Defensive Potential - Until he does it I won't believe it, he's also not that agile so his defense against small squirty pgs might not be as good as people expect

Weaknesses
1. Ball handling, he's not special with the ball when he isnt running the break
2. hosed up shot mechanics, though he makes them, so we can call that a yellow flag, for now
3. Lack of PNR creation, he just hasn't done much of it and so he seems kind of stumped once things slow down
4. Defense - Not very good
5. Athleticism/quickness - Average for an NBA prospect, gets very little elevation off of either one or two feet

I think his best Case is to tighten his defense and learn a floater and be a bigger Rubio esque player. But that would mean a ton of development on d and in the half court.

Worst/expected case, He's Ronnie Brewer with less athleticism and more passing.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but man I would not draft him, gently caress no

Ricky's 6'4 and has longish arms so I don't think there's much size difference either, unless he really is 6'7 now which I doubt. The questions are really if his shot works or can be fixed, and can he learn a half court offense and translate his passing to it. If both are affirmatives, he's got a shot at being a cross between old Jason Kidd and young Jason Kidd. If both are negatives his ceiling is pre injury Livingston, a guy who is a nice bench piece but shouldn't be starting. If he can shoot but not run a set, he's Breweresque, I guess, but I'm thinking more Kerry Kittles or Kevin Martin. If he can run a set but not shoot he's a less athletic rubio.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ball was able to convert at the rim in College though. If Rubio was able to do that at the NBA level he'd probably be an all-star. I actually don't think Ball has the same handles and able to penetrate at will like Rubio does, so I am not sure if the comparison is apt.

Basically, if Ball is like Rubio but able to convert at the rim and hit open shots he's worth the #2 pick by a mile.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DeimosRising posted:

Ricky's 6'4 and has longish arms so I don't think there's much size difference either, unless he really is 6'7 now which I doubt. The questions are really if his shot works or can be fixed, and can he learn a half court offense and translate his passing to it. If both are affirmatives, he's got a shot at being a cross between old Jason Kidd and young Jason Kidd. If both are negatives his ceiling is pre injury Livingston, a guy who is a nice bench piece but shouldn't be starting. If he can shoot but not run a set, he's Breweresque, I guess, but I'm thinking more Kerry Kittles or Kevin Martin. If he can run a set but not shoot he's a less athletic rubio.

Pre injury Livingston? Or do you mean post?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Pre injury Livingston? Or do you mean post?

Pre. Pre injury he basically only had skills in transition, couldn't shoot but could pass and score on the move. All his old
man game poo poo was a compensation for becoming slow, the post moves and half court passing

Lockback posted:

Ball was able to convert at the rim in College though. If Rubio was able to do that at the NBA level he'd probably be an all-star. I actually don't think Ball has the same handles and able to penetrate at will like Rubio does, so I am not sure if the comparison is apt.

Basically, if Ball is like Rubio but able to convert at the rim and hit open shots he's worth the #2 pick by a mile.

That's fair but he did most of that around the rim scoring on the break so yeah he has to demonstrate both better handles AND the threat to make crazy passes in the half court to open space for drives. I think he's maybe the most interesting of the major prospects but I don't really think he'll be all that good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This draft sounds awful

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

This draft sounds awful

I think we're just at that point when everyone starts picking apart prospects. I remember 2 years ago when KAT had no offense, Porzingis was a huge bust, and Russell had no position. I think ultimately this is a pretty standard draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

That's fair but he did most of that around the rim scoring on the break so yeah he has to demonstrate both better handles AND the threat to make crazy passes in the half court to open space for drives. I think he's maybe the most interesting of the major prospects but I don't really think he'll be all that good.

I think he has a wide range too, but I also think if his dad wasn't his dad people around here would like him a lot more and that's not fair to Lonzo as a prospect.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DeimosRising posted:

Pre. Pre injury he basically only had skills in transition, couldn't shoot but could pass and score on the move. All his old
man game poo poo was a compensation for becoming slow, the post moves and half court passing

I get that Young Livingston wasn't a smooth half court operator and wasn't the greatest finisher, but correct me if I'm wrong....wasn't his handle waaaay better than Ball's?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I get that Young Livingston wasn't a smooth half court operator and wasn't the greatest finisher, but correct me if I'm wrong....wasn't his handle waaaay better than Ball's?

I tried to find some old Livingston footage and it's hard :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QQXQh_6nI

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tae posted:

This draft sounds awful

Everyone is just getting really nitpicky at this point, probably partly as a backlash because this draft was so hyped 12 months ago. This draft class doesn't have a near-guaranteed franchise player at the top, but it is very deep at the top end. Every player that is going to get picked in the top 12 has all-star potential, which you can't always say.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

This draft sounds awful

The big problem with this draft is there isn't a clear #2 player. Fultz would probably getting John Wall levels of hype had he gone to a good school.

The real problem with this draft is Harry Giles repeatedly tearing his ACLs. Had he never done so, he would almost certainly be the #1 pick, but his injuries have both slowed his development and also made a lot of teams super nervous. He might never have a knee issue again and be a 10X all-star, or his knees might be permanently hosed and he turns out to be the next Bynum/Oden.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 4, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The problem with this draft is there are too few big ballers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the problem with this draft is that NCAA Tournament Darling and Superstar Sanjay Lumpkin is being cruelly ignored because he is a 6'6" power forward with questionable athleticism whose primary skill is elbowing people once again depriving the NBA of a quality Northwestern Athlete.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 4, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

the problem with this draft is that NCAA Tournament Darling and Superstar Sanjay Lumpkin is being cruelly ignored because he is a 6'6" power forward with questionable athleticism whose primary skill is elbowing people once again depriving the NBA of a quality Northwestern Athlete.

I really want to see a surge of weird players coming into the NBA. The Nets should just comb the undrafted list for 6'6 PFs and 280lb PGs and just get weird.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lockback posted:

I really want to see a surge of weird players coming into the NBA. The Nets should just comb the undrafted list for 6'6 PFs and 280lb PGs and just get weird.

i can't wait for teams to start trying to replicate isiah thomas and draymond green, failing miserably. meanwhile daryl morey will start drafting regular players who are good heights for their position. all part of the master plan.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

i can't wait for teams to start trying to replicate isiah thomas and draymond green, failing miserably. meanwhile daryl morey will start drafting regular players who are good heights for their position. all part of the master plan.

If anything, too tall. 6'7 PGs and 7'2 SFs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

If anything, too tall. 6'7 PGs and 7'2 SFs

6'7 PGs, 6'3 SFs, 6'6 PFs, 7'8" Centers who cannot straighten their backs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sanjay Lumpkin is an auto-generated name

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

This draft sounds awful

De'Aaron Fox could be a more athletic Elfrid Payton or he could cut his hair and be like a little Brandon Jennings dynamo

Josh Jackson could be a great 2 way wing
Jayson Potatum could be a really versatile scorer
Malik Monk is guaranteed to get buckets
Fultz is the new sort of PNR running scoring combo guard that makes threes off the dribble and finishes, the prototypical contemporary point guard
Jonathan Isaac has tons of potential
Dennis Smith could lead the NBA in scoring if he improves his three point shot
Frank Ntilikina looks like a boring okay pg
Markannen is going to make a lot of threes as a center and that is valuable

There's a ton of potential, I just happen to think that anyone with the choice of a player other than Fultz should be very careful before selecting Ball. There are more point guards, there will be more point guards. Jackson seems much more like the best player on a contender than Ball.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Ball was able to convert at the rim through off-ball movement. He very rarely generated his own shot at the rim (a little over 2 per game). He is a fantastic cutter.

Maybe he ends up Kevin Martin-esque?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From the one report I heard of him, he's has great NBA instincts and does things well without the ball, but the problem is that he's at like 18% usage and that doesn't translate well to the pros if you're expecting an all-star.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The problem with this draft is that every prospect, outside of Fultz, checks a lot of boxes but also has a massive, massive weakness that could derail his career

JJ - Can't shoot
Fox - Can't shoot
Ball - half court game, wierdo shot
Tatum - Is Rudy Gay
Monk - size

etc, etc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Ball was able to convert at the rim through off-ball movement. He very rarely generated his own shot at the rim (a little over 2 per game). He is a fantastic cutter.

Maybe he ends up Kevin Martin-esque?

I think that's just zeroing in on the weird shot mechanics, Martin had very little trouble getting his shot off in the pros. What makes Martin Martin is the fact that he was so effective of an ISO player from the guard position. I think Ball will have trouble doing that, but I think he'll be better as a playmaker, even if he isn't a natural PG.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/871187446083592193

Tres Alphas have a new mission

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rafer Alston
Spyda
The Motherfucking Professor

guaranteed gold

e: RIP Escalade, the fact that he was actually Mark Jackson's brother still blows my mind every time I remember.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One step closer to one-on-one and the dunk contest becoming Olympic events

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I demand Olympic Dunk King

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Except everyone has to use a prop.

That prop being some doofy euro 7fter

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

R.D. Mangles posted:

:agreed: girlfriends from around the world deserve the honor of being props in dunks before proposed to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Antimatter matter explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rafer Alston
Spyda
The Motherfucking Professor

guaranteed gold

e: RIP Escalade, the fact that he was actually Mark Jackson's brother still blows my mind every time I remember.

WHAT?!?

also it's loving bullshit that the Professor and Hot Sauce are the only And1 legends to have their own wiki

• Locked thread