Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Unless you are talking about enough people to tip the state's popular vote, that does the same thing as gerrymandering. Atlanta and Austin already go Democratic. I wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans does also. Making the areas even more Democratic just ensures the Blue incumbents don't have to actually do anything since they know their seats are safe.

Urban areas in the South already vote largely Democratic, but the cities are smaller in relation to the state when compared with places like New York State.

Actually it would help Austin because we're still small enough to gerrymander out of representation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwsBarks/status/529278850933723137

We send 5 Republicans and one Democrat to Congress despite being in one of the heaviest Democratic counties in the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/871165013402234880
https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/871169998219300864

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump taking a page out of his Twitter response to the Pulse Nightclub Shootings and basically loving gloating about a terrorist attack again.

Fucker is a stain. I hope the official UK response goes ape poo poo on him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

They should stop replacing them, citing budget cuts.

"To partially balance our budget and to pay off recent security cost in NYC we decided to stop replacing these signs."

Comdey option : Take a creative interpretation of "prominently displayed" and bash Donnie.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Comdey option : Take a creative interpretation of "prominently displayed" and bash Donnie.

Urinal targets.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PhazonLink posted:

"To partially balance our budget and to pay off recent security cost in NYC we decided to stop replacing these signs."

Outhouse sign.

A nice outhouse mind you.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shifty Pony posted:

Outhouse sign.

A nice outhouse mind you.

Don't forget the water feature.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Donnie likes the piss, we shouldn't enable his fetish by proxy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Unless you are talking about enough people to tip the state's popular vote, that does the same thing as gerrymandering. Atlanta and Austin already go Democratic. I wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans does also. Making the areas even more Democratic just ensures the Blue incumbents don't have to actually do anything since they know their seats are safe.

Urban areas in the South already vote largely Democratic, but the cities are smaller in relation to the state when compared with places like New York State.

I don't quite know what you mean by comparing it to gerrymandering, because if anything I see it as an intentional reaction to gerrymandering, but yeah the aim is to eventually threaten the state popular vote. It won't happen right away, and it probably won't happen in a generation, but it will chip away at the safe Republican states and ensure that they'd have to fight more and more for every representative. State GOPs will be able to use gerrymandering and other tactics to fight against it for a while, but there's statutory limits to how much they can do. Targeting resettlement into specifically purple districts within those states would be even more effective, but invites conservative reprisals that would deter many. It's one thing to move from one urban liberal hot spot to another - it's another to move to a rural community that will probably try to drive you out.

Regardless, the idea has a lot of merits. American liberals vastly outnumber the conservatives, even if our outdated system doesn't recognize that democratic mandate. Republicans have only won the popular vote once in the last seven elections. The 2016 vote differential in Texas was 800,000 people, and without Texas' 37 electoral votes, Republicans would struggle to ever put a president into power ever again. If 2,000 additional liberals moved into Texas every month, that would permanently jeopardize Republican power within 35 years. And that would be the hardest target: If that plan was expanded with computerized targeting of vulnerable districts all over the country, it would force a political realignment.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 4, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Except any program of resettlement to tip voter scales will result in independents and moderates voting in greater numbers against Democrats. People are loyal to their states or cities and won't appreciate outside billionaires trying to influence elections. And if it was someone like Soros that would play right into RWM descriptions of him.

In a generation neither party is going to look like it does now anyway because the voters won't look like they do today. poo poo will shake out over time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

stone cold posted:

lmao, defending bill maher right now

e:
lest we forget what just happened:

but yeah, bill maher is definitely not a racist

I wasn't defending him at all. He keeps saying that he'd be okay with increased scrutiny and profiling of people, like him, with an Irish background IF the IRA were still a major threat. I'm simply agreeing with the post I quoted that I think he's full of poo poo on that point, and would probably not enjoy experiencing racial prejudice -- i.e. I'm saying he's probably a hypocrite. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.

Oddly enough, while a lot of attention is being paid to the fact that he said the n-word, much less is being paid to the fact that, after that, he also said the KKK and white supremacist groups are not as big a threat as Muslims, despite the fact that there have been deadly attacks by white supremacist hate groups in America very, very recently indeed -- so he's being racist against Muslims and all the minorities that have been targeted by white extremists (including Muslims again!).

I'm certainly not going to defend him saying the n-word, nor will I defend his blatant Islamophobia.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Or instead of mass resettlement, maybe we can find 25% of the 4 million people in Texas who could have voted in 2016 but aren't registered and convince them to vote Democratic instead of them doing nothing.

Or idk maybe the 11 million registered voters who stayed home might yield some voters.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 4, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

I wasn't defending him at all. He keeps saying that he'd be okay with increased scrutiny and profiling of people, like him, with an Irish background IF the IRA were still a major threat. I'm simply agreeing with the post I quoted that I think he's full of poo poo on that point, and would probably not enjoy experiencing racial prejudice -- i.e. I'm saying he's probably a hypocrite. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.

Oddly enough, while a lot of attention is being paid to the fact that he said the n-word, much less is being paid to the fact that, after that, he also said the KKK and white supremacist groups are not as big a threat as Muslims, despite the fact that there have been deadly attacks by white supremacist hate groups in America very, very recently indeed -- so he's being racist against Muslims and all the minorities that have been targeted by white extremists (including Muslims again!).

I'm certainly not going to defend him saying the n-word, nor will I defend his blatant Islamophobia.

oh, good, thanks for clarifying

i thought you were defending him, which

eurgh

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

empty whippet box posted:

Haha what a loving moron goddamn.

e: i mean Maher

Yeah like who is Mahers fanbase? rofl. the guy is about as unfunny as it gets

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think his show is that bad, since he occasionally gets some wood on the ball and frequently has interesting guests (even those I don't agree with, and those he doesn't agree with). But he has a giant long list of really lovely opinions, not limited to racism and Islamophobia. He derides people for climate change denial because the science is clear, but then dabbles in anti-vaxx nonsense and had a long argument with Neil deGrasse Tyson about how he doesn't think we should try to go to Mars. Basically, he is the worst part of his own show, which is otherwise alright.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phyein posted:

I want everyone to picture Jeff Sessions getting crushed by a steamroller. We could all use a laugh in these troubled times.

I just see him getting back up afterwards and screaming at me in a high pitched voice about killing my brother.

Grapplejack posted:

That last bit I bolded is, in my opinion, one of the biggest political issues we're facing today.

I disagree, in the sense that one party legitimately and objectively IS an existential threat and only wants to further the problems, not address them. So its half that Republican voters distrust and hate Democrats, and half that not enough people distrust and hate Republicans.

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, nobody takes Darth Windu seriously in this or any other thread. Ignore and move on man.

He says while responding to Majorian.

RuanGacho posted:

Or lets just stop electing olds, they already have proven they have an inclination to doing things the way they've always been done and I would prefer to encourage soft revolution. Not no experience mind you but we surely have people who could do the job who haven't hit retirement age yet.

Retirees should be showing kids how to not gently caress up basic historical lessons, not taking world stability and seeing who can do the best belly flop.

So you'd support Marco Rubio for president? Or maybe you should admit that saying that there's some generational divide here is a myth.

Xae posted:

It is any Democratic contender. Period.

Who ever jumps out to an early lead in the pre-race bullshit will get targeted by Talk Radio and RWM hard.

Hopefully in the distance year of TWO THOUSAND AND TWENTY people on the left won't take the bait and buy into all the conspiracy bullshit the RWM throws out.

... right?

If we can perfect the technology to pull their heads out of their anuses and make them admit that they played a part in getting Trump elected too.

empty whippet box posted:

Haha what a loving moron goddamn.

e: i mean Maher

Well, Sasse isn't good either, but yeah, Maher loving sucks.

Feral Integral posted:

Yeah like who is Mahers fanbase? rofl. the guy is about as unfunny as it gets

I read an article a few months ago that suggested Maher got a huge boost in polls because he was the first talk show host to come back after CHristmas, and therefore got to position himself as a figure of protest against Trump.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If there was ever a reason to drop your NYT sub, it would be this hot take

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/871196820814299136
https://twitter.com/speechboy71/status/871056260417933312

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 4, 2017

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Party Plane Jones posted:

If there was ever a reason to drop your NYT sub, it would be this hot take

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/871196820814299136

"No hubris, no hubris, YOU'RE the hubris!" the GOP shouts as the Titanic rams into the melting iceberg.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except any program of resettlement to tip voter scales will result in independents and moderates voting in greater numbers against Democrats. People are loyal to their states or cities and won't appreciate outside billionaires trying to influence elections. And if it was someone like Soros that would play right into RWM descriptions of him. In a generation neither party is going to look like it does now anyway because the voters won't look like they do today. poo poo will shake out over time.

I'm sure the RWM would flip out with all sorts of accusations, but it would be easy to defend them so long as the optics of the program was focused on job creation and affordable living.

States with the closest margin of victory in 2016 Presidential election:

Michigan 13,000 votes / 16 electors (R)
New Hampshire 2,701 votes / 4 electors (D)
Wisconsin 27,257 votes / 10 electors (R)
Pennsylvania 68,236 votes / 20 electors (R)
Florida 114,455 votes / 29 electors (R)
Minnesota 44,470 votes / 10 electors (D)
Nevada 26,434 votes / 6 electors (D)
Maine 19,995 votes / 4 electors (D)
North Carolina 177,009 votes / 15 electors (R)
Arizona 91,682 votes / 11 electors (R)

HRC needed 43 electoral votes to beat Trump. If you give her the five that she lost to faithless electors then she needed 38. That's Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania (46 electors) with a total differential of 108,493. There are literally hundreds of thousands of coastal liberals who aren't being represented by our political system, can't afford to live where they are, would be willing to live in an urban area that was different but similar, and just need the right job offer to move.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/870469423596847105
and this is why I subscribed to the washington post and not the new york times, NYT gets things right most of the time but then they do stupid poo poo like hire morons to write opinion pieces nobody wants

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Or instead of mass resettlement, maybe we can find 25% of the 4 million people in Texas who could have voted in 2016 but aren't registered and convince them to vote Democratic instead of them doing nothing. Or idk maybe the 11 million registered voters who stayed home might yield some voters.

Why not do both? No one is saying that we should stop outreach efforts, but the fact is that when you see millions of wasted votes in California, New York, and other bright blue states, and pair that with soaring business and livability costs in those states, there is a clear opportunity for spreading out the liberal population in a politically opportune way. This is hardly the first time that this sort of thing has been done here in America - people have been moving around for a mix of employment opportunity and political representation the whole time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

I don't think his show is that bad, since he occasionally gets some wood on the ball and frequently has interesting guests (even those I don't agree with, and those he doesn't agree with). But he has a giant long list of really lovely opinions, not limited to racism and Islamophobia. He derides people for climate change denial because the science is clear, but then dabbles in anti-vaxx nonsense and had a long argument with Neil deGrasse Tyson about how he doesn't think we should try to go to Mars. Basically, he is the worst part of his own show, which is otherwise alright.

He's also on PETA's advisory board.

I'm not against animal rights advocacy, but PETA is basically the worst possible group you could work with.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
WTF. Rick Perry is doing the job expected of Secretary of Energy fairly adequately. Not trying to kill the institution outright with incompetence and corruption.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/energys-perry-blast-running-agency-vowed-kill-47806784

WTF.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

WTF. Rick Perry is doing the job expected of Secretary of Energy fairly adequately. Not trying to kill the institution outright with incompetence and corruption.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/energys-perry-blast-running-agency-vowed-kill-47806784

WTF.

We truly live in the strangest possible timeline.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

He's also on PETA's advisory board.

I'm not against animal rights advocacy, but PETA is basically the worst possible group you could work with.

Suddenly all of those videos where they sexually objectify women to try and push vegetarianism make a lot more sense.

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

There's no profit to be made in intentionally loving it up, and all he has to do to ensure it works right is go "do whatever the guy you had before who was way smarter than me told you to do." Its hard for even a Republican to gently caress that up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

honestly. probaly because he was a legit idiot and didnt know what they did. now he does and he realizes how important it all is(with nukes/power grid/etc.)

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

It's got to be the glasses

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fulchrum posted:

There's no profit to be made in intentionally loving it up, and all he has to do to ensure it works right is go "do whatever the guy you had before who was way smarter than me told you to do." Its hard for even a Republican to gently caress that up.

Yeah, this. Rick Perry's decision making process does have a certain easily-flowcharted charm.

Which also makes him vulnerable to subversion by the Deep State. :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.
Not letting his agency burn to the loving ground is now considered "adequacy". Sad!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

Why not do both? No one is saying that we should stop outreach efforts, but the fact is that when you see millions of wasted votes in California, New York, and other bright blue states, and pair that with soaring business and livability costs in those states, there is a clear opportunity for spreading out the liberal population in a politically opportune way. This is hardly the first time that this sort of thing has been done here in America - people have been moving around for a mix of employment opportunity and political representation the whole time.

Because any amount of time or effort spent trying to get Californians to move to Texas to vote Democratic is wasted compared to using that effort on GOTV in Texas instead. We don't have unlimited money or volunteers for GOTV.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like he's just blown away by how "cool" the national labs are.

Like he's climbing into the driver's seat of a big rig and making honking and gear grinding noises

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Like he's climbing into the driver's seat of a big rig and making honking and gear grinding noises

Living the dream

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

Not letting his agency burn to the loving ground is now considered "adequacy". Sad!

I know. It's disgusting, but who would've guessed that Rick Perry would be one of the few Trump appointees to attempt to step up to the plate in good faith? Honestly, what were the loving odds of THAT one?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
That having an actual idiot like Rick Perry at the helm causes no damage just goes to show how little we need the Department of Energy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

That having an actual idiot like Rick Perry at the helm causes no damage just goes to show how little we need the Department of Energy

Here's a radioactively hot take.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Here's a radioactively hot take.

:q:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Somebody put a kid's chemistry set on his desk and no one has seen him for months.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

I know. It's disgusting, but who would've guessed that Rick Perry would be one of the few Trump appointees to attempt to step up to the plate in good faith? Honestly, what were the loving odds of THAT one?

Unless you're a Kool-Aid drinking ideologue, no on is going to take a job like cabinet Secretary and try to make that department less relevant or powerful. I think DeVos is the only Secretary who has been gung-ho in hollowing out her department. But she's also a loving idiot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Krispy Kareem posted:

Unless you're a Kool-Aid drinking ideologue, no on is going to take a job like cabinet Secretary and try to make that department less relevant or powerful. I think DeVos is the only Secretary who has been gung-ho in hollowing out her department. But she's also a loving idiot.

Pruitt, Carson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

reminder Perry was governor and had some wildfires and said they should pray to Jeeeeeeeeeeeezaus for rain and Texas got more fire.

Also getting cheers for murdering an innocent man.

Data Graham posted:

donnieBigRig.jpg

• Locked thread