Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Huzanko posted:

Just wanted to say I've been watching Chez Lindsay and Contra Points thanks to this thread and these are actual YouTube intellectuals, as opposed to whatever the gently caress "Sargon of whatever the gently caress" is. Love ContraPoints' video about The Rubin Report.

lindsay is ok, contrapoints is better in my opinion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah but you don't think Andrew Ryan is right

true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lindsay is ok, contrapoints is better in my opinion.

They team up sometimes. There is a youtube intellectual superteam coalescing out of the exploded remnants of blip. Hbomb's in the mix too, and gamergate expert Dan Olson. They just need like Rantasmo and Shaun and a base on the moon.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shaun re-uploaded contra's video for him, so the team up is on

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Armstrong is one of my favorite villains because the reveal that he actually has ideals and goals (being presented as heartless and greedy before) makes him more of a monster.

Hell people root for the empire in star wars. Literal space Nazis

Armstrong is the best Metal Gear villain in the entire series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

inkblot posted:

Armstrong is the best Metal Gear villain in the entire series.

yeah. i like volgin just for being a straight up bad guy and i kinda dig skullface despite the let down.

also replying to the empire thing. New canon is trying to soften the nazi poo poo a little bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite MGS villains are The Patriots AIs who phone you up to tell you how much you (yes, you) suck. Originally you would have heard the American National Anthem too but, ya know, 9/11.

So this just popped up on my Recommendations. If anyone saw Contra's video on Casual Sex, he had an actual discussion/debate with the Catholic Traditionalist he made that video in response to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw1VJoTVuo

I know this will not surprise or offend anybody here but, as someone who's generally pretty sympathetic to religion, the fact this guy believes in the "sexual marketplace" is rather depressing. It seems to be a Right-Wing viewpoint. You know, the side that is all about traditional values and this guy is a frickin' Catholic yet he still believes in this "it's just nature" bullshit that reduces men and women to mindless animals.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
That religious dude is a catholic who I am sure believes sex is a devilish corrupting carnal pleasure who one should practice only for the sacred purpose of reproduction. He probably also rejects that sexual marketplace stuff as a kind of perceived corruption of sex life brought about by permissivity in a secular society, so maybe he used it only as rhetorical device.

I remember listening to that debate a while ago and it's pretty boring because they go around and around without ever truly defining their terms.

The distributist is an odd one, because while being an often repugnant conservative shitbag but he's definitely well read and what a better 'intellectual' than one hundred thousand Carls put together. His best video is his application of the concept of anti-fragility, which he applies to some perceived left-wing cabal but which I find actually describes perfectly the functioning of today's hegemonic global capitalist ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNEhyYKJks

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There's been things where I had the unpopular reading of a show or movie and was really surprised to find out people didn't see it in the light I did. For me it's seeing body positivism in things that are also skeevy, instead of thinking racists are cool or something so at least I'm not those people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i like volgin just for being a straight up bad guy and i kinda dig skullface despite the let down.

also replying to the empire thing. New canon is trying to soften the nazi poo poo a little bit.

Are you joking? Theres a scene in Force Awakens of the SS office dude holding a literal Nazi rally as they blow up a bunch of planets. Theres more nazi poo poo than ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Are you joking? Theres a scene in Force Awakens of the SS office dude holding a literal Nazi rally as they blow up a bunch of planets. Theres more nazi poo poo than ever.

yeah. i guess i was more trying to say, in the movies/books/comics, they are more diverse now at least human wise. one of the main grand admirals/main characters is black lady.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fados posted:

That religious dude is a catholic who I am sure believes sex is a devilish corrupting carnal pleasure who one should practice only for the sacred purpose of reproduction. He probably also rejects that sexual marketplace stuff as a kind of perceived corruption of sex life brought about by permissivity in a secular society, so maybe he used it only as rhetorical device.

I remember listening to that debate a while ago and it's pretty boring because they go around and around without ever truly defining their terms.

The distributist is an odd one, because while being an often repugnant conservative shitbag but he's definitely well read and what a better 'intellectual' than one hundred thousand Carls put together. His best video is his application of the concept of anti-fragility, which he applies to some perceived left-wing cabal but which I find actually describes perfectly the functioning of today's hegemonic global capitalist ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNEhyYKJks

"African-Americans won't vote Republican ever again because the Left destroyed the family and introduced Welfare."

Um...isn't a more likely that they turned against the Republicans because the Republicans became the party of white supremacy?

He seems interesting enough but I've always had a morbid fascination with people like this. I'm not smart or well-educated at all yet there are people who are both yet they come to the wrongest conclusions imaginable. It makes me feel really weird that I'm somehow dumber and smarter than people like this.

This will always be my favorite MGS Monologue.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

NikkolasKing posted:

He seems interesting enough but I've always had a morbid fascination with people like this.

Same. What's even weirder is that this guy is a very late convert coming from a progressive family and chose Catholicism, after 'deep reflection' of all the options. I mean what the actual gently caress, coming from a hugely Catholic country my mind can't conceive of an atheist/agnostic guy searching for his spiritual awakening or whatever and ending up looking at a religion that's been pretty much superseded by the Reformation and recently devastated by a bunch of pedophilia scandals and thinking "Yes, that's the stuff!" :psyduck:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like he's still pretty fixated on the standard mra reddit nerd talking points, which is probably where he was before becoming a catholic convert. When he bashes the "sexual revolution," it's for making it harder for him to find a wife, and he believes it's bad for women to have the freedom to have sex outside of marriage because the national birthrates of the US and other unnamed countries in western Europe are supposedly going below replacement level. That sounds like a racist dog whistle to me since the global population has been going up, up, up for the last hundred years or so. Also he gets taken totally by surprise when Contrapoints mentions that gay people like living in a world without compulsory heterosexuality, like he had never thought about the position of gay people before Contra mentioned it, and he goes right back to ignoring gay people immediately because he's a fat loving nerd loser who feels entitled to the love of a woman he considers young and beautiful. The catholic thing just seems like a peculiar flavor of reaction he's chosen because he's read too much about fascism to go full pepe.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Fados posted:

Same. What's even weirder is that this guy is a very late convert coming from a progressive family and chose Catholicism, after 'deep reflection' of all the options. I mean what the actual gently caress, coming from a hugely Catholic country my mind can't conceive of an atheist/agnostic guy searching for his spiritual awakening or whatever and ending up looking at a religion that's been pretty much superseded by the Reformation and recently devastated by a bunch of pedophilia scandals and thinking "Yes, that's the stuff!" :psyduck:
I dated someone like that for a bit. They ended what looked like a promising career in film because God told them to. After diving whole hog into Catholicism, they used it as a reason to dislike basically everything as sinful or blasphemous. Whenever sexual abuse and covering it up was mentioned, they would counter that Pizzagate was a thing and also worse than anything the Catholic Church has been proven to actually have done. Also they were convinced that Planned Parenthood purposely gave out faulty birth control to meet their abortion quotas. Oh and homosexuals were to live lives of celibacy because the only good kind of sex is the married kind and that's only a thing God wants hetero people to do. And that doesn't make you lonely because Jesus is your life companion. What I'm saying is I'm surprised they don't have their own YouTube channel where they spout wisdom from inside their car.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crain posted:

This became extra funny when the "somehow less ambiguously evil than the Empire" First Order started getting defenders who were upset that their favorite guys were getting treated..like villains...

I think this might actually above all (well ignoring the blatant racism and sexism) be why it got such a hugely negative reaction from the alt-right. In the old movies it was always subtext where in The Force Awakens it was just straight up 'hey look at all these horrible nazis'. Not to even mention how stoic Darth Vader got replaced by a whining Kylo Ren. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about your villain's? Just make them overtly pathetic. The movie even with fucks with you if you think this kind of character is cool, it was a very deliberate choice to keep Kylo in Helmet and mostly quiet for the first half the movie to then raise the veil and show the audience the bumbled mess of emotions that was hiding underneath.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 4, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fados posted:

If you're from America, particularly the South, it's pretty easy to see why post Reformation religions are unappealing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I think this might actually above all (well ignoring the blatant racism and sexism) be why it got such a hugely negative reaction from the alt-right. In the old movies it was always subtext where in The Force Awakens it was just straight up 'hey look at all these horrible nazis'. Not to even mention how stoic Darth Vader got replaced by a whining Kylo Ren. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about your villain's? Just make them overtly pathetic. The movie even with fucks with you if you think this kind of character is cool, it was a very deliberate choice to keep Kylo in Helmet and mostly quiet for the first half the movie to then raise the veil and show the audience the bumbled mess of emotions that was hiding underneath.

I was gonna say the original three movies has the empire as more like fantasy bad guys than "realistic" bad guys, which is in keeping with the idea that it's a fantasy film with the words "laser" or "space" placed in front of a lot of the nouns.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Pretty much but I liked kylo Renn, because he is basically a sad brains fanboy of his grand pa and a inversion of Vader. Vader is cool because he is a scary monster who has a quiet but commanding presence. Kylo is the site equivalent of a school shooter.

OwlFancier posted:

I was gonna say the original three movies has the empire as more like fantasy bad guys than "realistic" bad guys, which is in keeping with the idea that it's a fantasy film with the words "laser" or "space" placed in front of a lot of the nouns.

Pretty much.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the more recent books to come out shows Hux as a kid and makes him out to be a wimp who is routinely abused by his dad. He's probably more hosed in the head than Kylo is since he was the one who wanted to kill a bunch of planets the most.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I bet Han Solo was not a very good dad, though. He's at best a cool uncle when you're too young to realize why he has no responsibilities or family of his own, which is because he's a deadbeat who can't handle those things and is instead a 40-year-old man who smokes a ton of weed and spends most of his money on his camero and motorcycle.

That new Star Wars movie was kind of cool for injecting some reality into the fantasy adventure by having him be an old loner ducking responsibility and afraid of his ex, because of course she would have dumped him or he would have run off on her before much time had passed. Unless it was like a We Need to Talk About Kevin situation where they split up because their kid was a literal school shooter who exterminated all the new jedis and went off to be space hitler.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Laci Green is 100% dating Chris Ray Gun. Funny that her being "open to dialogue" with the pepes has happened around the same time they started going out :thunk:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Laci Green is 100% dating Chris Ray Gun. Funny that her being "open to dialogue" with the pepes has happened around the same time they started going out :thunk:

Like someone up thread said - she's just been a piece of poo poo the whole time, she just met someone who made her feel okay about being a piece of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't understand loving someone that hates you.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't understand loving someone that hates you.

Yeah.

That's what marriage is for.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you're from America, particularly the South, it's pretty easy to see why post Reformation religions are unappealing.
Huh? Baptists outnumber Catholics like a zillion to one below the Mason-Dixon line. The KKK hated Catholics.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the holocaust didn't enter into the public consciousness of america (or even germany) until the airing of the miniseries Holocaust in 1978. that's 33 years after the war ended and 16
I think it was more like the early 60s for the US. Besides the Judgment at Nuremberg movie, there was even a Twilight Zone episode in 1961. But the bedrock of American exposure to the Holocaust is probably the diary of Anne Frank. There was a Pulitzer winning play in 1955, an movie that won three Academy Awards in 1959. Here's a claim the book was added to the school curriculum in the early 60s.

Even if you ignore all that, Marathon Man came out in 1976 and I don't think people were terribly confused by the beginning haha. "Why is this German guy so jittery around Jewish people? Weird!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't mean people didn't know the holocaust happened.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is bullshit for a lot of reasons but the one that really gets to me is that this is no joke for him. He's decided to make a career out of YouTube. This is his livelihood at the moment and some troll literally just hosed with his job to be an rear end in a top hat or an ideologue or something.

What garbage.

What's even bigger garbage is that YouTube gave him an automatic strike on his channel never even looking at the video or really explaining how this is a scam or anything like that while white nationalists roam free and do much much worse. gently caress me does YouTube loving suck.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

What's even bigger garbage is that YouTube gave him an automatic strike on his channel never even looking at the video or really explaining how this is a scam or anything like that while white nationalists roam free and do much much worse. gently caress me does YouTube loving suck.

It is an automated system. No one is looking at the videos. Youtube reviewers have been struggling with false copyright claims for ages due to this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fados posted:

I'd guess being a 'high church' religion it provides a lot of group structure and rules and ritual that you don't get with the low church style worship, that has enough adherents in the West to make it possible to engage with/participate in, while being 'familiar' enough to not mark you as an outsider like converting to Islam or something but 'different' enough that you can see yourself as above all the plebs. That wouldn't be the case in a culturally Catholic country, but I guess the equivalent there might be someone actually joining the priesthood.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fados posted:

As an atheist I would see the lack of pre-determination, the belief in the importance of good deeds, and the generally more liberal approach to learning (science, philosophy etc.) as far superior to post Ref. denominations. Also for a convert, Catholicism presents a nice single theology compiled into a definitive canon, unlike the loving nightmare that is Protestantism.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I heard Kathy Griffin is getting poo poo from conservatives for holding up a fake Trump head.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

steinrokkan posted:

As an atheist I would see the lack of pre-determination, the belief in the importance of good deeds, and the generally more liberal approach to learning (science, philosophy etc.) as far superior to post Ref. denominations. Also for a convert, Catholicism presents a nice single theology compiled into a definitive canon, unlike the loving nightmare that is Protestantism.

Speaking as a former Catholic, current atheist, If I were to convert back to Christianity and took the theology super seriously one of the branches of Protestantism would seem more ideologically watertight and Catholicism would look like they added a bunch of complex, innovative stuff that wasn't very well supported by the texts. I mean its not like Protestants are all obsessed with predestination and some are pretty chill these days.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

khwarezm posted:

Speaking as a former Catholic, current atheist, If I were to convert back to Christianity and took the theology super seriously one of the branches of Protestantism would seem more ideologically watertight and Catholicism would look like they added a bunch of complex, innovative stuff that wasn't very well supported by the texts. I mean its not like Protestants are all obsessed with predestination and some are pretty chill these days.

Catholicism has more of a traditionalist and ritualistic appeal though. I tend to think of Protestantism in America as quite unappealing. Examples:

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/98/39/448bb95befd949a907e95365e57b5132.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIS5_kpS4c

Stellar churches and ceremonies do way more than badly photoshopping Jesus and light rays onto landscapes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Midig posted:

I heard Kathy Griffin is getting poo poo from conservatives for holding up a fake Trump head.

Yeah, which would have been the whole point of a stunt like that.

I really don't get what she was trying to do with that. If you're going to do provocative art, then the reaction is literally what you're aiming to get. Ideally you're going to use that to funnel attention to something else or just use the attention to some personal end.

But no, she threw a punch, then as soon as the obvious reaction happened folded up and tried to run away from the consequences.

Snoop Dog did something similar a few months ago as well, and his response was pretty much just a big ol' gently caress You and gently caress Him. Nothing happened.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Catholicism presents a nice single theology compiled into a definitive canon, unlike the loving nightmare that is Protestantism.

That's kind of the entire selling point of Protestantism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

That's kind of the entire selling point of Protestantism.

Nightmares?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I just thought it was interesting to bring it up since conservatives such as Paul Joseph Watson usually decries people trying to hurt others through their advertisers or through public outrage, but he basically went for the "actions have consequences" route. I don't think she really achieved anything either with an empty message and fake apology. Just though the hypocrisy of the right wing was interesting to see.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Nightmares?

Only if you´re a Jehova's Witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

steinrokkan posted:

Did you stop reading about Protestants after Calvinism? Also, thought you'd prefer that people did good deeds because it was the right thing to do, not cause they were bad. :shrug:

That said, Gauv and Midi are right, liturgical churches are more appealing for a 100% fresh convert. The feeling of a big church service is more important than squabbles over who can have stale crackers or how to pay for missionaries (real divisions in my denomination). Which sucks cause they'll never know the joys of judging a church that starts at the right time (11 AM).

• Locked thread