Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Manchester attacker went all the way to Libya for training.
Yeah he has family there, do you want every muslim edgelord who's posted "these crusaders are attacking the wrong people in Syria" and goes home to see their family in Pakistan locked up too? Bet there's faaahsands, most will just be pussyholes who never end up doing anything in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Yeah he has family there, do you want every muslim edgelord who's posted "these crusaders are attacking the wrong people in Syria" and goes home to see their family in Pakistan locked up too? Bet there's faaahsands, most will just be pussyholes who never end up doing anything in their lives.

He was reported by the community for expressing support for suicide bombing and there's no authority in Libya to persecute his family. There was more than enough reasonable suspicion to at least search his home.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
here is the bad news:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/871050110775513088

(theresa may favorability is down, though, but not as much as youd think)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He was reported by the community for expressing support for suicide bombing and there's no authority in Libya to persecute his family. There was more than enough reasonable suspicion to at least search his home.
I'm sure they have a huge gently caress off rolodex of people that the well-meaning members of the muslim community have said express some sympathy with the taliban or whatever, right. Maybe they failed in the ariana grande bomber case but if they had a look and missed it then not only do they not get his bomb, but they also contribute to a narrative where the British state acts badly towards the muslims which then gives more credence to extremist propaganda and so on, for the sake of a guy who was likely part of the no doubt many many thousands of incel failsons who weren't actually going to do owt.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Fix the collapsing job market for young men, fix the housing situation, fix the the mental health system, then maybe reheat authoritarian criminal justice proceedings.

it's so simple, it makes me lol every time I see the usual liberal v. conservative speculation on how to solve it

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

here is the bad news:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/871050110775513088

(theresa may favorability is down, though, but not as much as youd think)

is every politician in britain widely despised

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Canada's conservative leader is 38, imo it's time for olds like Corbin and may to retire

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Corek posted:

Yes.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Corek posted:

Basically, yeah

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
the idea that every politician is a total oval office who's only looking after their own interests is basically the default stance of the majority of the public in the UK

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Corek posted:

whenever you hear about blair coming back to Save Labour remember that he's literally one of the least popular human beings in the country

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

I'm sure they have a huge gently caress off rolodex of people that the well-meaning members of the muslim community have said express some sympathy with the taliban or whatever, right. Maybe they failed in the ariana grande bomber case but if they had a look and missed it then not only do they not get his bomb, but they also contribute to a narrative where the British state acts badly towards the muslims which then gives more credence to extremist propaganda and so on, for the sake of a guy who was likely part of the no doubt many many thousands of incel failsons who weren't actually going to do owt.

The notion that the state is persecuting Muslims doesn't really truck when it's the Muslim community itself that thinks these individuals are dangerous.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The notion that the state is persecuting Muslims doesn't really truck when it's the Muslim community itself that thinks these individuals are dangerous.
There's always snitches, including fake snitches that are trying to dob people in over other disputes because they know the police are listening to them.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

jBrereton posted:

do you want every muslim edgelord who's posted "these crusaders are attacking the wrong people in Syria" and goes home to see their family in Pakistan locked up too?

I mean, his dad was in an Al-Qaeda affiliate, and he and his dad travelled to Libya when the country was in the middle of a civil war. Seems like there there are a few more red flags there than most keyboard jihadis.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can't believe all the talk about constitutional monarchy being a bulwark against fascism and nobody brought up the Kingdom of Italy, which was literally a constitutional monarchy.

a bunch of commies killed the dictator and a bunch of liberals then reformed it into a democratic state sound like a success story to me

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

so the point of your post is that we shouldn't fight terrorism because most people aren't terrorists?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

a bunch of commies killed the dictator and a bunch of liberals then reformed it into a democratic state sound like a success story to me

and all it took was a couple of decades of fascist rule and an Allied invasion

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Karl Barks posted:

ask the peasants if they prefered stalin to nicolas :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0Om8v8H7g

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if we're looking for examples of incredible monarchies ethiopia is a good one where no economic development ever took place because all land belonged to the emperor and reverted back to the emperor upon the death of the current emperor appointed viceroy and this nobody had any reason to improve their land

this continued for a thousand years straight until it was overthrown

pretty sure the Byzantine Empire had a viceroyalty system and they did fine for a 1000 years

oh

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And I do hereby further declare all indentured Servants, Negroes, or others, (appertaining to Rebels,) free that are able and willing to bear Arms, they joining His MAJESTY'S Troops as soon as may be, for the more speedily reducing this Colony to a proper Sense of their Duty, to His MAJESTY'S Leige Subjects, to retain their Quitrents, or any other Taxes due or that may become due, in their own Custody, till such Time as Peace may be again restored to this at present most unhappy Country, or demanded of them for their former salutary Purposes, by Officers properly authorised to receive the same.

we were the bad guys

:lol:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

we were the bad guys

:lol:

The British were only offering amnesty to volunteers. If the Loyalists won there would still be slavery.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The British were only offering amnesty to volunteers. If the Loyalists won there would still be slavery.

i guess

although the brits abolished slavery in 1833

so

still marginally better

probably :shrug:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Probably not for as long, though, as the crown didn't tolerate obstreperous slaveholders and had already abolished slavery in England itself. If the Loyalists had won, they'd have at least lost their slaves when Parliament passed the Abolition Act of 1833.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Probably not for as long, though, as the crown didn't tolerate obstreperous slaveholders and had already abolished slavery in England itself. If the Loyalists had won, they'd have at least lost their slaves when Parliament passed the Abolition Act of 1833.

I actually wonder if the British could even afford to buy out American slavers on top of Caribbean slaveholders.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I actually wonder if the British could even afford to buy out American slavers on top of Caribbean slaveholders.

If they'd had to put down one American rebellion already, I suspect they'd be a lot less conciliatory with even Loyalists. Prob. more of "Hey guess what, slavery's illegal now! Kindly refer all questions to the nice redcoated men with guns who by complete coincidence started garrisoning your cities and towns last week."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If they'd had to put down one American rebellion already, I suspect they'd be a lot less conciliatory with even Loyalists. Prob. more of "Hey guess what, slavery's illegal now! Kindly refer all questions to the nice redcoated men with guns who by complete coincidence started garrisoning your cities and towns last week."

I doubt they'd actually think that far ahead. If it came to being such a massive financial burden they never would've bothered abolishing slavery, until it came to a violent head. Maybe the French Revolution could've even spread to Britain tho.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh lol pretending the British Empire was progressive in the eighteenth century.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Crowsbeak posted:

Baudolino posted:

Cultural understanding, trade and smashing patriarchal tradition: The secret Progressive History of the British Empire.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Journalist: Would you go back in time and kill baby George Washington?

Loyalist Jeb!: Hell yeah

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Triggering another war of secession.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how do i sign up for a war of suck sessions

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Triggering another war of secession.

*extremely turtledove voice* the North plus the UK would have loving crushed the south in 1833. as underdeveloped as the south was in 1861 it had undergone rapid modernization, especially in virginia, including railroads. the south without railroads (and texas) would have had to instantly regress into guerrilla defensive warfare

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I always had the understanding that they could get people from india to move in and work their plantations for cheap and none of their geopolitical rivals could, and that was a good chunk of the motivation behind fighting the slave trade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Aliquid posted:

*extremely turtledove voice* the North plus the UK would have loving crushed the south in 1833. as underdeveloped as the south was in 1861 it had undergone rapid modernization, especially in virginia, including railroads. the south without railroads (and texas) would have had to instantly regress into guerrilla defensive warfare

In 1833 the North would have joined the South in rebellion because their financial interests were completely intertwined.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In 1833 the North would have joined the South in rebellion because their financial interests were completely intertwined.

don't get too complicated there

in that instance new england would have revolted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is p weak for pwint

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
england is widely despised by the english

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth