Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
My little sister's been talking to me about joining the Navy as an officer, in the Nuke program, and I can't convince her that it's a terrible idea. (ETN1 over here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yan Bao Qin posted:

My little sister's been talking to me about joining the Navy as an officer, in the Nuke program, and I can't convince her that it's a terrible idea. (ETN1 over here)

Do it.

I thought it was a big brothers divine mandate to drive your little sister crazy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sarkazm posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Thanks! I feel like now if there aren't enough hours in the work day I'll at least be happy about it and not doing stupid bullshit (like running around the ship trying to find the XO to sign a message)

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 31, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Then it appears you're a failure as a nuke, enlisted scum, and a brother.

Which kind of makes sense.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Headed over to the boat to embark for my last deployment. Super depressed even though it means I'm not far away from retirement. Leaving my family really sucks. :smith:

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Enjoy the port calls. See some sites. Take some pictures. Bring your​ kids some cool trinkets.
Keep remembering it's the last one then you get to choose what you do next.

Doing a shooter tour or something?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Staff duty.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Staff duty.

Just make sure to cup the Admiral's balls gently enough and enjoy your last few months.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nah staff duty is all about cupping the Chief of Staff's balls gently.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

vulturesrow posted:

Staff duty.

Strike group staff? I used to be the air defense LNO. Csg staff blows. At least as LNO I didn't have to deal with most of the bs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Out of curiosity, did you guys ever get to do any training with the air wing prior to cruise? Or just whatever comes up later?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Strike group staff? I used to be the air defense LNO. Csg staff blows. At least as LNO I didn't have to deal with most of the bs.

Yes, CSG staff. As staffs go this is actuallya it good one. But staff duty is staff duty.

Godholio posted:

Out of curiosity, did you guys ever get to do any training with the air wing prior to cruise? Or just whatever comes up later?

COMPTUEX is about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oof. Christ, Navy.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Headed over to the boat to embark for my last deployment. Super depressed even though it means I'm not far away from retirement. Leaving my family really sucks. :smith:

Nimitz?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was mildly worried about being called up because I heard the IT shack was way understaffed and i live right next to bremerton.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Alright I finally have to wear the type I nwu after years of avoiding it.

Any suggestions on boots because I have no desire to give up $130 for a Bates product.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
$180 for flight decks. :v:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Alright I finally have to wear the type I nwu after years of avoiding it.

Any suggestions on boots because I have no desire to give up $130 for a Bates product.

Red wings 4473 are close enough to work. Try em on. I have some and not entirely sure if they are worth the entire price premium as they are almost as heavy and the sole isn't that much better. It was worth it to say gently caress Bates for all the torture though.

The uniform shop suede ones are lighter than the leathers if you are shore duty and no one cares.

Just be aware, moving to the type 3 your command could authorize desert boots and then you're buying new ones all over again.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

$180 for two years of wear? I might look at the redwings at least they are lifetime guarantee?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Red wings 4473 are close enough to work. Try em on. I have some and not entirely sure if they are worth the entire price premium as they are almost as heavy and the sole isn't that much better. It was worth it to say gently caress Bates for all the torture though.

The uniform shop suede ones are lighter than the leathers if you are shore duty and no one cares.

Just be aware, moving to the type 3 your command could authorize desert boots and then you're buying new ones all over again.

I noticed the MAs at bangor get to wear desert boots. Most had Nikes so they certainly were not steel toe.

Must be nice.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Second NWU question (yes I've worn a flight suit for the last 14 years): is there something better than those terrible Soffee shirts?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Second NWU question (yes I've worn a flight suit for the last 14 years): is there something better than those terrible Soffee shirts?

Hanes makes an NWU colored blue tee shirt. I buy those. They sell it in the fleet store on Pearl harbor. No clue if they are in all the uniform stores.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

Hanes makes an NWU colored blue tee shirt. I buy those. They sell it in the fleet store on Pearl harbor. No clue if they are in all the uniform stores.

They sell 'em in Norfolk. So comfy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The blue seems a little lighter after a few washes. Had to throw my old ones away because it drove me nuts mismatching in the drawer.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They're definitely worth it for the comfort. Alternatively Jockey sales some super comfy ones too that don't fade and keep a nice dark blue, but they're twenty bucks for two shirts.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The type 3s or whatever the green ones are are great. But laffo at any gray boat nerds who have to wear black boots with them.

Tan Goretex boots are godly. And I really like the lighter material of the new uniforms. And the Frog shirts for under body armor. And Velcro pockets and no sewing damned crows backwards. (loving exchange)

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Velcro pockets - For when you want to let everyone in a 30ft radius know when you reach in your pockets

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao all this uniform poo poo. Jesus just get one and standardize it across the branches, have options, not dumb wear rules specific to one job/base/etc (within reason)

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

We suck at uniforms. I'd like to think a bunch of retired admirals are making beaucoup bucks off all of the changes we constantly make, but it's probably just incompetence.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

We suck at uniforms. I'd like to think a bunch of retired admirals are making beaucoup bucks off all of the changes we constantly make, but it's probably just incompetence.

Your first suspicion is correct.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Your first suspicion is correct.

My wife thinks the old dungarees looks much better and it's stupid for us to look like water soldiers.

Never had to deal with them on a daily basis but I guess it was harder to keep the shirts cleanish.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I think it was the ironing and poo poo to not look like rear end combined with the fact that 75% of the navy is balls deep in some kind of dirty poo poo so light colors are automatically ruined. But that's just me.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like being water soldiers. :( I honestly don't see why we have to be like every other branch except worse with the type III's vomit green. Wish we had either taken the marine's camies or just kept the blue with the Type III material.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

LingcodKilla posted:

I noticed the MAs at bangor get to wear desert boots. Most had Nikes so they certainly were not steel toe.

Must be nice.

Per instruction, Nike boots aren't authorized. I still wear mine.

Anybody know anyone who has actually gone to DOD Skillbridge? Trying to get more information, but the website is a JOKE.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
All three branches of the Danish armed forces use the same Multicam uniforms now. Yay having to listen to all the retired old farts bitching about it looking all wrong.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CMD598 posted:

Velcro pockets - For when you want to let everyone in a 30ft radius know when you reach in your pockets

HEY SHIPMATE, WE USING POCKETS NOW, IS THAT WHAT WE DO??

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The type 3 actually works in woodland environments for blending in after you have worn the same set a week straight and they are covered in dirt

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What should I do in Pattaya for the full Navy experience?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

Get the clap and a terrible tattoo that breaks regs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

piL posted:

Get beat up by a gang of lady boys!