Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I never followed him so I didn't realize how lovely he was until the incident with the Fiverr dudes, which then led into finding out his penchant for using nazi and anti-Semitic "humor"

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was tangentially aware of him at best, but yeah, he's a real dirtbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know who that is but colin's twitter handle is @notaxation if that tells you anything.

Also he started a patreon for his right-wing bullshit and he's making insane money from it. nearly 33k a month from almost 6,000 people. The planet would be a lot better off without those 6,001 people, I wager.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

Not even a few months ago he was dealing with shitbirds like Colin Moriarty, one of the shittiest scumbags in the industry who, I believe these are essentially his direct words, "wants to be the Glenn Beck of conservative gamers".
Who? ...oh yeah, this idiot. Literally the only thing I know about Colin Moriarty.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know who that is but colin's twitter handle is @notaxation if that tells you anything.

Also he started a patreon for his right-wing bullshit and he's making insane money from it. nearly 33k a month from almost 6,000 people. The planet would be a lot better off without those 6,001 people, I wager.

Colin Moriarty is a character from Fallout 3. Specifically he's a bar owning scumbag who immediately extorts the player character and everyone around him is explicitly better off if at some point you shoot him in the head.

I mean, it sounds like it's an appropriate moniker, I guess?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Terrorists drove away from bridge and were killed within 8 minutes of the first call. To say they needed anything more than what they already have, which is a country-wide network of CCTV cameras linked to plate readers and algorithms capable of following a person based only on their gait is loving ludicrous, and a naked attempt to sell something on the backs of corpses.

Well, that's what they were doing. Straight up saying that in america they'd have gotten there in 4 minutes and there were officers running away because they didn't have guns. Watched it on CNN at the gym tonight and had to just turn it off because it was pretty awful. Really obvious propagandizing angling towards getting to sell more guns in the UK.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
edit: Nevermind, I misread what you were saying. Although I still think listing Minnesota in a list of 'states that Trump won' is SLIGHTLY misleading given that they didn't!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Neither did New Hampshire, Maine, nor Nevada.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm guessing his point was that they should REINFORCE those areas with coastal blue voters so they don't turn red? MN didn't vote Reagan in 1984, I don't think we're at much of a danger of turning red.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kartikeya posted:

Colin Moriarty is a character from Fallout 3. Specifically he's a bar owning scumbag who immediately extorts the player character and everyone around him is explicitly better off if at some point you shoot him in the head.

I mean, it sounds like it's an appropriate moniker, I guess?

Don't forget uses debt to enslave his workers, abuses the minority waitstaff and forces a woman into sexual slavery. Sounds very much like a conservative role model.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Apoplexy posted:

I'm guessing his point was that they should REINFORCE those areas with coastal blue voters so they don't turn red? MN didn't vote Reagan in 1984, I don't think we're at much of a danger of turning red.

I thought he was saying "we need to offer incentives to move people from `coastal blue strongholds‘ to purple areas."

To which I'm saying you're going to need to do a poo poo ton for me to get me to consider it. If I was an engineer in Southern California with good weather, good food, lots of fun things going on and to do, all my friends live here, maybe my partner as well, and earning 80k+ as many of my friends do, realistically what can you offer me to move me to a place like Texas or even Ohio?

If I go down my list then we can cross out weather because Texas is tom god drat hot and Ohio is too god drat humid. Let's just say there's good food and that "there are fun things going on" in those places. So you're asking me to give up nice weather, my friends, and potentially inconvenience my partner with having them move with me.

All for what? A chance to possibly influence the future? That's not really tangible and you would need to convince a lot of True Believers to do the same. So that leaves just salary. If mine is 80k in Long Beach and you over 80k in some random place in Texas then I'd tell you to gently caress off, even if after taxes and CoL I'd be taking home more. What I'd lose just isn't worth whatever I'd save by not paying taxes or whatever. What I'd lose isn't just monetary: it's my entire way of life including my friends, my apartment/house/home, family, my little bubble I call my world. And considering we're talking about Texas you're going to need to offer me a lot more than if you wanted me to relocate to another Southern California city because just the thought of that stings.

I don't think that the DNC could afford me or other people in my position (engineers, scientists, etc) because presumably they would be the ones making deals with the companies to get them to relocate workers for monetary incentives.

If we strike out high salaried positions as people you'd want to relocate then you'd have to ask the question: does it really make sense for the DNC to spend money to relocate e.g. teachers, skilled laborers, etc from CA to TX versus just spending that money to find homegrown solutions and/or fund better GOTV drives? I think not.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Isn't that just gentrification, but on a state-wide scale?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Grapplejack posted:

Isn't that just gentrification, but on a state-wide scale?

Yeah, that's my take on it as well.

My knee-jerk reaction, as an Austinite having to put up with Californian refugees moving here and driving up housing prices, is to tell anyone arguing for something like that to gently caress right off. Do GOTV crap here. We have home grown folks here willing to do it. We're just knee-capped with how the districting is handled and lol if you're going to be able to fix that.

*EDIT*

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought he was saying "we need to offer incentives to move people from `coastal blue strongholds‘ to purple areas."

To which I'm saying you're going to need to do a poo poo ton for me to get me to consider it. If I was an engineer in Southern California with good weather, good food, lots of fun things going on and to do, all my friends live here, maybe my partner as well, and earning 80k+ as many of my friends do, realistically what can you offer me to move me to a place like Texas or even Ohio?

If I go down my list then we can cross out weather because Texas is tom god drat hot and Ohio is too god drat humid. Let's just say there's good food and that "there are fun things going on" in those places. So you're asking me to give up nice weather, my friends, and potentially inconvenience my partner with having them move with me.

All for what? A chance to possibly influence the future? That's not really tangible and you would need to convince a lot of True Believers to do the same. So that leaves just salary. If mine is 80k in Long Beach and you over 80k in some random place in Texas then I'd tell you to gently caress off, even if after taxes and CoL I'd be taking home more. What I'd lose just isn't worth whatever I'd save by not paying taxes or whatever. What I'd lose isn't just monetary: it's my entire way of life including my friends, my apartment/house/home, family, my little bubble I call my world. And considering we're talking about Texas you're going to need to offer me a lot more than if you wanted me to relocate to another Southern California city because just the thought of that stings.

I don't think that the DNC could afford me or other people in my position (engineers, scientists, etc) because presumably they would be the ones making deals with the companies to get them to relocate workers for monetary incentives.

If we strike out high salaried positions as people you'd want to relocate then you'd have to ask the question: does it really make sense for the DNC to spend money to relocate e.g. teachers, skilled laborers, etc from CA to TX versus just spending that money to find homegrown solutions and/or fund better GOTV drives? I think not.

If you are an engineer and/or programmer kindly make that argument to all of your colleagues to stop them from loving moving here. That said, bugger off with bemoaning the lack of culture, we got plenty to do here.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 4, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It seems to me like it'd be better in the long run to actually win over R voters in those areas rather than displace them by moving gobs of D voters around. That whole idea has so many problems, ethical and pragmatic. How do you discriminate between probable D voters and everybody else? What happens when your effort gets taken to court for discrimination? Are you only going to move your likely D voters into areas with excess jobs or what will you do to create new, permanent jobs in areas where there aren't enough?

I know it's a common notion that rural poverty = unbreakable R advantage so just gently caress them forever and totally ignore them but how about opening schools and job sources in those areas instead? I doubt anybody could find a reason to sue you if you opened a free college level school, or an Amazon distribution point or or buttplug factory or whatever.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Apologies if old

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/03/infowars-launches-200000-contest-to-pay-fans-wearing-cnn-is-isis-t-shirts-on-tv/

Alex Jones literally pulling what idiots on the right have been accusing Dems of (through Soros).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah he's been doing that for a while now.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/man-shouts-bill-clinton-is-a-rapist-over-and-over-on-live-tv-as-security-drags-him-away_102016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Apologies if old

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/03/infowars-launches-200000-contest-to-pay-fans-wearing-cnn-is-isis-t-shirts-on-tv/

Alex Jones literally pulling what idiots on the right have been accusing Dems of (through Soros).

Well, I set up a wordfilter extention on chrome and "CNN is ISIS" now filters to "Quit Turning the drat Frogs Gay". :colbert:

Edit:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 4, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Part of the issue is we are in a bubble, by the fact that we are internet connected has cut us off from the experiences of a statistically significant portion of Americans. Older media still reaches in to those places like some sort of stupefying Trump based God Rays, but while we can access new completely different types of media, and forums that seem quaint by today tech, there are portions of the country that the only radio is talk, the only internet is satellite, if that and the only television is a local affiliate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I moved from Long Beach to Austin 2 years ago (at similar salary levels you mentioned). I had the same reservations as you did, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

e:

Wtf,doesn't the state now own it, like yeah that bs might be in the contract and in good faith/as a good sport they should honor it, but if the gov. owns it they can do whatever.

With Trump as the president, if he got wind that the state wasn't replacing his name on a sign what would you bet the odds are he would do something petty and vindictive to hurt the entire state or turn the park into a nuclear weapon testing site?

Best to keep replacing the sign for a few years.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Jimmy Johns is good if you remember two things;

1)always get wheat bread (which is sliced and fluffy and not a hard roll like their regular bread and helps absorb some of the mayo)

2) Always ask for bean sprouts. Because gently caress yeah, sprouts.

The Beach Club is delicious. Turkey, mayo, tomato, mayo, cheese, cucumber, mayo, avocado, and bean sprouts(optional).

gently caress 16 pages ago but this is the most objectively correct post itt

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How about enact policies to make rust belt cities more attractive to millennials and turn them blue again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Part of the issue is we are in a bubble, by the fact that we are internet connected has cut us off from the experiences of a statistically significant portion of Americans. Older media still reaches in to those places like some sort of stupefying Trump based God Rays, but while we can access new completely different types of media, and forums that seem quaint by today tech, there are portions of the country that the only radio is talk, the only internet is satellite, if that and the only television is a local affiliate.

This. It's frustratingly hard to reach people who have access to completely different information than you.

For example, the other day I was discussing my regular Trump discussion with my mom. I thought this whole craziness has sort of taught her where right wing bullshit leads but every so often she goes into Just World Fallacy mode. In this case the conversation led to the United incident and she went into the victim blaming "he should have cooperated" stance. I tried explaining to her about the just world fallacy but she just reacted like I was a five year old complaining about a monster under the bed. I tried to look for articles in European Portuguese about the just world fallacy to show her but found NOTHING. Google Translated articles only go so far because then you can always give the "this must be an error" excuse.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Obviously make flyover states weed sanctuary cities like California is trying to do

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871325606901895168

trump sees need to get smart :thunk:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

Gonna love hearing propaganda about how the van attack means they need moar guns in the U.K. CNN already had some guy reciting talking points to that effect on tonight.

Did the interviewer point out the Terrorists had to resort to knives and a vehicle as weapons rather than guns for some mysterious reason :shrug:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Did the interviewer point out the Terrorists had to resort to knives and a vehicle as weapons rather than guns for some mysterious reason :shrug:

The obvious solution is to grant licenses to carry concealed cars

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871331574649901056

it's a red letter day today folks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

holy poo poo he is ungodly stupid.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871328428963901440

Um thanks for the support and sympathy Trump

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*entire block vaporized by a rocket you can't hear coming, again and again and again*

keep calm and carry on.

*7 people run down by a van*

CLOSE DOWN ALL PORTS THE BROWNS ARE GONNA GIT US

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Remember, other people aren't real to him.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Trump is just making sure the UK wants absolutely nothing to do with him. He feels he didn't try hard enough when he was over in Europe, when his approval ratings jumped when he did so

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

It's really crazy that he still has the power to make my jaw drop in surprise at what a loving rear end in a top hat it is. Like...even having the pump primed by the campaign and the first few years of his administration, he can still be worse than expected. How is that even possible, loving W just kind of frontloaded his horribleness and everything afterwards was more or less in character.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kekekela posted:

It's really crazy that he still has the power to make my jaw drop in surprise at what a loving rear end in a top hat it is. Like...even having the pump primed by the campaign and the first few years of his administration, he can still be worse than expected. How is that even possible, loving W just kind of frontloaded his horribleness and everything afterwards was more or less in character.

It's only been a few months my friend.

PerniciousKnid posted:

How about enact policies to make rust belt cities more attractive to millennials and turn them blue again.

This is the obvious solution but most of them are run by morons. Pittsburgh has been on a surprisingly good path though so maybe there's hope yet.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
"We are with you London!"

*12 hours pass*

"gently caress THE MAYOR OF LONDON!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kekekela posted:

the first few years of his administration,

Time dilation :shrug:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That attacks on the UK isn't genius but it's a pretty smart move to isolate the UK even more from Europe and get a lot of voters to vote on a single issue regardless of every other policy pushed by the Tories doing more harm to the country than any van could hope to do. Hook, line and sinker.

In comparison the attacks has united the French.

No surprise Donald winning the award for having no empathy. Is there there a bottom to his callousness or does the barrel have no bottom?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

*entire block vaporized by a rocket you can't hear coming, again and again and again*

keep calm and carry on.

*7 people run down by a van*

CLOSE DOWN ALL PORTS THE BROWNS ARE GONNA GIT US

How is that a useful comparison?
All resources of the country were already being mobilized to counter the Germans. What more could they have done?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's the attitude. how did you not get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Erostratus posted:

"We are with you London!"

*12 hours pass*

"gently caress THE MAYOR OF LONDON!"

I strongly suspect this 'gently caress the mayor of london' stuff is because he's a muslim and a leftist. Trump's buddies have probably already told him Mayor Khan 'probably helped with the attack' or someshit.

God, what a loving ghoul Trump is.

• Locked thread