Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

oh whew, you scared the poo poo out of me. I was gonna do BLM for my ranged DPS and I was worried I had missed them losing 50 potency on everything or something.

Yeah sorry, no BLM looks pretty sick if not relatively selfish in SB. If nothing else their utility from Mana Shift will be insane in some situations (like someone who just got rez'd), and they're one of the jobs who made out best wrt the Great AoE Purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Got a technical issue that Google has been utterly useless on answering that I'm hoping someone here might at least help narrow down what I could do to pinpoint the cause.

So when using the DX11 client, it will randomly crash when loading into an instance, such as going into 24 man or a trial. It seems to be entirely random and I can't reliably reproduce it on any one instance. I've managed to confirm that it's not the fault of my GPU as I got a new one a couple days ago and it's still occurring. I'm on Windows 7 if that helps any. I've gone back to DX9 for now since that's always been crash free, but it'd still be nice to figure out just what's screwing up and where.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doublestep posted:

yeah that's probably more accurate

Ninja's falloff was hilarious and it didn't have an expansion's worth of content to compete with

I hope RDM and SAM do fall off fast, because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna play one of em and I don't want eeeeeverybody to be doing the same

We'll see how it goes

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's kind of sad that DRK can't really get in on any of this. RIP Scourge, you were the real Fracture we lost in game :negative:

drk is so confusing to me because it's so complex for such relatively marginal gain.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doublestep posted:

Ninja's falloff was hilarious and it didn't have an expansion's worth of content to compete with
"Whelp, servers are on the west coast now, I ain't playing NIN in Stormblood!" :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of the server move, why on earth is there no in-game way to view your ping? have they ever talked about that?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Zaphod42 posted:

I hope RDM and SAM do fall off fast, because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna play one of em and I don't want eeeeeverybody to be doing the same

We'll see how it goes

i wouldnt give a poo poo what other people are playing but that's just me

Asimo posted:

"Whelp, servers are on the west coast now, I ain't playing NIN in Stormblood!" :v:

i meant when they were added in 2.4. there were ninjas everywhere until about costa del sol and everyone quit

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I don't see why any DRK won't insist on being MT because their fell cleaves don't care about Grit and their infuriate requires something attacking them.

e: I think tanks are in a better situation balance-wise than casters and far better off than healers (RIP WHM 2.0-3.3), but worse than melee and physical ranged. You take a DRK MT no matter what, and the choice of WAR vs PLD boils largely down to whether you have a NIN or SAM in the DPS lineup, which might not actually be a sure bet. Brotherhood is a little less exciting than SAM's crazy numbers shtick but even through the base potency nerfs Greased Lightning is a hell of a drug.

Compare casters where SMN and BLM only really go together--no matter how big BLM's numbers are, they neither benefit from nor contribute to the major physical DPS synergies, where RDM does. This doesn't mean a double or even triple caster setup wouldn't work--on the contrary it might be surprisingly good between BLM being able to manashift the RDM freely and SMN having magic hypercharge--it's just going to be less intuitive coming out of the deeply physical-centric meta of Creator, not helped by the fact that physical-type DPS still have crazy levels of synergy.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 4, 2017

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

I dedicate this orb to the freelancer setting plus the garo event. I had given up on this back when queue times were over 30 minutes for a single game even in prime time. I hope the pvp changes coming down the pipe keep people queueing up for a long time to come!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eopia posted:

Got a technical issue that Google has been utterly useless on answering that I'm hoping someone here might at least help narrow down what I could do to pinpoint the cause.

So when using the DX11 client, it will randomly crash when loading into an instance, such as going into 24 man or a trial. It seems to be entirely random and I can't reliably reproduce it on any one instance. I've managed to confirm that it's not the fault of my GPU as I got a new one a couple days ago and it's still occurring. I'm on Windows 7 if that helps any. I've gone back to DX9 for now since that's always been crash free, but it'd still be nice to figure out just what's screwing up and where.

Hey, it's not just you, I had the same issue. I'd crash loading into Idyllshire. :v: Never found a fix, just kept it on DX9 until I upgraded to Windows 10 (which was this week.) I'll let you know if it still occurs!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
these last few pages have been painful to read

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished ARR and that was pretty cool! Are ilvl blocks like really apparent going forward because buying equipment off of the market is killing my poo poo gil fund.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Asema posted:

I just finished ARR and that was pretty cool! Are ilvl blocks like really apparent going forward because buying equipment off of the market is killing my poo poo gil fund.

do not buy gear, esp pre-60. goons will help you

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Asema posted:

Are you on Excalibur? Goons will make you gear. Have you been getting tomestones? You can trade them for gear at Mor Dhona.

edit: ^

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't see why any DRK won't insist on being MT because their fell cleaves don't care about Grit and their infuriate requires something attacking them.

e: I think tanks are in a better situation balance-wise than casters and far better off than healers (RIP WHM 2.0-3.3), but worse than melee and physical ranged. You take a DRK MT no matter what, and the choice of WAR vs PLD boils largely down to whether you have a NIN or SAM in the DPS lineup, which might not actually be a sure bet. Brotherhood is a little less exciting than SAM's crazy numbers shtick but even through the base potency nerfs Greased Lightning is a hell of a drug.

Compare casters where SMN and BLM only really go together--no matter how big BLM's numbers are, they neither benefit from nor contribute to the major physical DPS synergies, where RDM does. This doesn't mean a double or even triple caster setup wouldn't work--on the contrary it might be surprisingly good between BLM being able to manashift the RDM freely and SMN having magic hypercharge--it's just going to be less intuitive coming out of the deeply physical-centric meta of Creator, not helped by the fact that physical-type DPS still have crazy levels of synergy.

Why on earth would you want a DRK MT instead of a PLD MT?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do not buy gear, esp pre-60. goons will help you

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Are you on Excalibur? Goons will make you gear. Have you been getting tomestones? You can trade them for gear at Mor Dhona.

edit: ^

I am in the same data center but coworkers rolled on Ultros and we've got a dumb fc there :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
previously you'd want a drk mt because of magic mitigation and better damage. now that those will probably not be the case, I do not know.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
drks will not be used at all in 4.0 and they'll either give them the pld or whm treatment in 5.0 please look forward to it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Why on earth would you want a DRK MT instead of a PLD MT?

Already said. DRK gets DPS out of MTing because of Blackest Night, PLD going full DPS mode doesn't really have any notable difference between MT and OT. WAR actively needs to be OT to pump out all it can. The choice is clear.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Blackest night looks like it'd be cool mitigation, but it costs an assload of resources that you'd rather be spending on doing damage. PLD doesn't have to spend any of its damage juice to mitigate a shitload of stuff, so there's no reason for a group with a PLD to wonder who the MT will be?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mister Olympus posted:

Already said. DRK gets DPS out of MTing because of Blackest Night, PLD going full DPS mode doesn't really have any notable difference between MT and OT. WAR actively needs to be OT to pump out all it can. The choice is clear.

yeah so you make the pld go mt, war go ot, and you tell the drk applying to your static to gently caress off back to bravely default

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
in 5.0 drk's gauge will actually be a circulatory system and you need to move the blood through it with the proper skills and if you don't then you die. also the class will have the worst damage.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mister Olympus posted:

It's not just that. Darkside's buffed to 20% (so Darkside + Grit = no damage malus while tanking) and their big fancy new attack gets a potency buff when in Grit.

Also Blackest Knight's MP cost might end up a wash depending on how much MP the new Delirium gives back.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Blackest night looks like it'd be cool mitigation, but it costs an assload of resources that you'd rather be spending on doing damage. PLD doesn't have to spend any of its damage juice to mitigate a shitload of stuff, so there's no reason for a group with a PLD to wonder who the MT will be?

Blackest Night gives meter and meter turns into damage, I don't see the problem with being super greedy with MP now that Darkside doesn't drain it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's also very important to note paladin benefits defensively from low weapon delay, a mostly meaningless stat interaction that I find hilarious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Asema posted:

I am in the same data center but coworkers rolled on Ultros and we've got a dumb fc there :(

That's okay, now that you're 50+ you can use the Party Finder to do stuff with goons! Hell, if you wanna jump on it I could do a primal or two with ya tonight :)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Blackest Night gives meter and meter turns into damage, I don't see the problem with being super greedy with MP now that Darkside doesn't drain it.

Blackest night can also be cast on the mt or just fall off and still give the blood, and it still costs a dark arts' worth of mana.

Also dark side drain was already negligible as hell. It not draining your mana won't make you an infinite font of mana.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 4, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Blackest night can also be cast on the mt or just fall off and still give the blood, and it still costs a dark arts' worth of mana.

Wait, where was the confirmation on either of these?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Wait, where was the confirmation on either of these?

The tooltip from MTQcapture's video on drk changes because gently caress listening to mr happy and I can never remember where the imgur dump of them all is.

Casting it on someone else gives them 10% of your health total as a shield, and it lasts 15 seconds. Tooltip says you get the blood when the effect ends, doesn't say how.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Going by the JP tooltip suggests that it only gives blood if the entire shield is consumed by damage.
Edit: Also I saw someone's analysis that suggested that TBN is a dps loss but I don't remember the reasoning exactly. I think it came down to losing a GCD to bloodspiller plus the dark arts-worth of mp added up to more than the potency of a bloodspiller.
Also for whoever was going "DRK should MT because bloodspiller is stronger in grit", the extra potency exactly makes up for the damage loss from grit. It's the same as Inner Beast but they worded it stupid instead of just going "ignores damage reduction from grit".

quote:

Also dark side drain was already negligible as hell. It not draining your mana won't make you an infinite font of mana.
If I remember the numbers right, this gains us about 3 syphon strikes worth of MP per minute.

Klades fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 4, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mister Olympus posted:

I imagine that if you are bringing along casters you'd also want a PLD to be a tank since their big bursty damage is now through spell-casting too. Heck they'll also benefit from Black Mage being an Unending Mana Battery (especially since spending time in Umbral Ice is no longer going to be something to avoid as much as possible thanks to Umbral Hearts).

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

all this paladin chat and none of you're remembering the 75 potency on every melee swing PLD has over all the other tanks

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Many thanks to TPT goons for running my dumb butt though Alex and warring triad last night, amazing fights and music :black101:

A handful of hard dungeons, some sidequesting, maybe a few ex fights for the hell of it and I'm caught up fully just in time for SB.

I didn't think I had a prayer of pulling this off a few weeks ago, excal craft and fc goons rock :neckbeard:

HW and 3.x were a hell of a ride, and coil, ct and mhach were awesome.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yeah, warriors don't want to butchers block any more than they have to come stormblood, and in a vaccuum probably want someone else to give out slashing debuffs if you're talking about best personal dps. three and a half path combos give you 2 fell cleaves, whereas right now you need two and a half of any one combo for a single fell cleave. the quicker fell cleaves more than offset the lower damage from not using the block combo.

And from what I can tell there's basically no reason anymore for a NIN not to be on slashing debuff duty as they'll have to apply it anyway to keep their DoT up, so it's pretty much a fixture of their main rotation now rather than a slightly annoying dps loss..

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm surprised ninja's so low on the list, because sometimes I feel like half the people I run into are ninja. I guess that's probably confirmation bias though, since I play one and recognize their abilities the easiest. Plus there are probably an inordinate number of ninja mains who said they were going to switch to samurai compared to other classes.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

samurai fills "I wanna be Japanese man" niche that all the ninjas were in

they just migrated

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
So the point of the Slashing debuff now is to penalize PLDs and DRKs for not having a NIN/SAM/WAR in the party, since the jobs who provide Slashing do it as part of their maximum DPS rotation, correct?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure its cause nins typically do lower dps compared to other classes, which turns people off. Admittedly, I might be leaving nin for sam cause weaving mudras inbetween gcds really hurts my wrist.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

speaking of the server move, why on earth is there no in-game way to view your ping? have they ever talked about that?

Because literally every computer has resource monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So when will the next anima step come out? Is that a launch thing or something to look for in future patches?

• Locked thread