Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

ROFL Octopus posted:

This game owns, don't get me wrong, but they went full retard with Arcade Mode.

5 fights, the semifinal one being complete poo poo (basically Heihachi with amazing AI). On average every fight gives less fight money than Treasure Battle, but also crucially you NEVER get any equipment. Now I could forgive all of this if I got a little character movie at the end, like Heihachi launching his relatives into space, but this doesn't even give that.

The only reason to play Arcade Mode is to beat it once to get its one-off 1,000,000 fight money completion bonus. If this is what arcade mode means now, maybe SFV was better off not including it.

Yeah I thought there would some cut scenes in arcade too but nah. I think the character walkups had extra animation for the last two fights, but I don't even know if they're different for different characters. Did it once, don't really need to do it again. Not to be 'that guy', but uh, is Heihachi really that bad in arcade? I think I beat him on my first or second try or something and this is my first time trying Tekken since I was 10.

So uh, how do you deal with Akuma zoning? Obviously the best solution is don't let him get far away from you in the first place, but I was playing a guy who'd get as much distance as possible after knockdowns and then poo poo out fireballs and I was embarrassingly bad at closing the distance from there. I could side step them, but it felt like by the time I was done sidestepping he was already throwing another one and I couldn't really move forward. My execution is garbage and I don't know how to play so maybe there's enough time to move forward between the sidesteps but I certainly wasn't finding it. Should I be trying to do that, or just plodding forward trying to hop them?

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

attackmole posted:

Yeah I thought there would some cut scenes in arcade too but nah. I think the character walkups had extra animation for the last two fights, but I don't even know if they're different for different characters. Did it once, don't really need to do it again. Not to be 'that guy', but uh, is Heihachi really that bad in arcade? I think I beat him on my first or second try or something and this is my first time trying Tekken since I was 10.

You're not being that guy, I'm just functionally retarded.

At least I think everyone can agree this arcade blows chunks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think Arcade might scale to your rank? I didn't have any trouble blowing through it and I am struggling to get through the story in babby beginner mode.

Were the arcade story endings what the character chapters have? It would be weird to include the cutscenes from every Tekken game and not have them in here?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcade is just real easy and Story mode is legitimately harder.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Were the arcade story endings what the character chapters have? It would be weird to include the cutscenes from every Tekken game and not have them in here?

Arcade doesn't have an ending for anyone, ever. Period.

The character chapter endings I guess are supposed to replace them, but they suck, especially since Tekken is well-known for its zany endings. Off the top of my head, I only liked King's and Steve's.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eliza's character ending was alright because it was very silly.

Main problem with the character episodes is that they are not in any way goofy or dumb enough. Needs more goof. Same could be said for Story Mode anytime Heihachi's not on screen, maybe even a couple of times he is.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

attackmole posted:

So uh, how do you deal with Akuma zoning? Obviously the best solution is don't let him get far away from you in the first place, but I was playing a guy who'd get as much distance as possible after knockdowns and then poo poo out fireballs and I was embarrassingly bad at closing the distance from there. I could side step them, but it felt like by the time I was done sidestepping he was already throwing another one and I couldn't really move forward. My execution is garbage and I don't know how to play so maybe there's enough time to move forward between the sidesteps but I certainly wasn't finding it. Should I be trying to do that, or just plodding forward trying to hop them?

You cancel that sidestep into a forward dash. The sidesteps and dashes all can cancel into each other endlessly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of the character endings are kinda lame excepting like Asuka, King, Yoshimitsu, Kuma, and uhhhhh Lucky Chloe's. Most of them feel pretty flaccid or boring or incredibly one note. On some you get Bryan throwing steel girder and helicopter and laughing then you get Lili slaps Asuka and that's it, then you get Eddy's where he's just punked by Chloe and then yells angrily in his dorky voice. They don't feel like the cool previous Tekken endings that had their own storylines going on half of the time and the fact that the game only lets you do the Bloodline Rebellion arcade mode is kinda lame because I would've liked fighting Kazumi to transition into Devil Kazumi. As it stands the single player contents a bit lacking which is unfortunate after TTT2's excellent selection of nonsense to do, but the story mode is pretty cool even if the story itself isn't amazing and the game in general feels really good so idc too much about that. Besides I'm almost a Tekken Lord in Treasure Battle and I will soon have enough money to fill out the gallery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Most of the character endings are kinda lame excepting like Asuka, King, Yoshimitsu, Kuma, and uhhhhh Lucky Chloe's. Most of them feel pretty flaccid or boring or incredibly one note. On some you get Bryan throwing steel girder and helicopter and laughing then you get Lili slaps Asuka and that's it, then you get Eddy's where he's just punked by Chloe and then yells angrily in his dorky voice. They don't feel like the cool previous Tekken endings that had their own storylines going on half of the time and the fact that the game only lets you do the Bloodline Rebellion arcade mode is kinda lame because I would've liked fighting Kazumi to transition into Devil Kazumi. As it stands the single player contents a bit lacking which is unfortunate after TTT2's excellent selection of nonsense to do, but the story mode is pretty cool even if the story itself isn't amazing and the game in general feels really good so idc too much about that. Besides I'm almost a Tekken Lord in Treasure Battle and I will soon have enough money to fill out the gallery.

I'm pretty sure arcade mode does have the Kazumi to Devil Kazumi fight if you don't get Akuma. I think it's random which one you get? Maybe you need to get a perfect somewhere or something?

Other than that I agree. Even the solid character episode endings come at the expense of the other character they're paired with. Steve and Nina's only really concludes on his side and so on and a lot of the stories are real boring anyway. Kind of a shame because I really like just about everything else in the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that's the case that's weird they made it random, but whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's definitely cooler like as a visual than the Akuma fight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm pretty sure arcade mode does have the Kazumi to Devil Kazumi fight if you don't get Akuma. I think it's random which one you get? Maybe you need to get a perfect somewhere or something?

I fought Devil Kazumi at the end of Arcade, yeah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

I did up some combo stuff thats easy to use and learn

-snip-

100% not optimal, that stuff already been posted. However this stuff for the most part is quite easy to do, and remember. Tried to make everything have the same ending sequences to keep everything under one roof.

I hope you keep making these videos, I really appreciate them (even if I don't use any of these particular characters)! :kimchi: My thumb is dying but I finally managed to do the shoryuken motion at least like... ~40% of the time. Which is a big improvement from 0%! Still feels like Eliza is just going to be forever too difficult.

Pictured: Every god drat time

It's probably not that smart to practice like 5 characters at once when I'm completely new to the game, but they're all so cool and fun! Claudio is one of my newest favorites, he's really easy to use and the Starburst mechanic is fun. Still haven't figured out a better/easier combo than uf+4 b+3 f+3 WR2 and all the combo videos and stuff I've found so far have way more complicated combos than don't even deal any more damage. I feel like a scrub for just using that same combo over and over, but hey it works and it's like 53 damage :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I beat Arcade with Gigas and in the Heihachi fight intro Jack flew into the background and crashed in a comical way like it was once part of a story thing but that was literally all the "plot" there was.

Very strange.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A quick update on my PC graphics gripe: Game defaults to "Borderless" but isn't really. But! I changed it to Fullscreen and then back to Borderless, and now it's true Borderless and I can alt-tab freely.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Fingers crossed for volleyball dlc.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

7lip posted:

Fingers crossed for volleyball dlc.

The PC version has files for Tekken Bowl.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
That final fight in the Story Mode is something else. I had more trouble with Kazumi until I realized the running kick really helps initiate a combo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blattdorf posted:

That final fight in the Story Mode is something else.

Heihachi's demon wing move has armor you can just spam it until the phase you need to defend and then repeat. Trying to play for real was way harder.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Leo's movelist says that her db 2,2 can transition into Fu Bo, but I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried doing d1+2, tapping down, holding down, whatever and nothing seems to work. Am I missing something?

e: Another strange thing about her movelist - it shows her ub1 parry for high punches, but only by accident did I discover that you can follow that up with 4 for a knockdown and transition into back-turned. Weird that they don't mention that.

giogadi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 4, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok in training mode if you set cpu action 1 to stand, then cpu action 2 to guard all, you can see when they can block out of strings and stuff.

Can someone more tekken minded explain the guarding in the middle of strings part? I get the whole gaps and holes thing, but I have to throw out half of what I learned yesterday because despite it saying it all combos, turns out things like Eliza stand 1 into srk can be blocked, despite it comboing normally? ughhhh

The characters also have different hitboxes and you have to test your juggles on Ling to see if they work.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Arzachel posted:

The characters also have different hitboxes and you have to test your juggles on Ling to see if they work.

Are there any kinds of size categories, or is basically every character different? I got confused when I couldn't seem to land MRaven's qcf+2,4,1 on Bob when it worked fine on Heihachi, and it would be nice to know if Bob is one rare exception or if it just works on a select few.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
More newbie questions:

1. For juggling, am I supposed to learn character-specific combos that juggle, or is there just a generalized principle I'm supposed to internalize?

2. When being juggled, there's nothing I can do about it but wait it out and get up safely, right? I assume my opportunity to stop it was to not get launched.

3. Better players than me have done some crazy combos on me, carrying me to the wall from like mid-stage and continuing to beat me up there. Like, really long ones, like 15+ hits. I haven't had much luck blocking mid-combo if I ate the beginning. Is that expected or are there places where I can block/counter-hit in these long combo strings?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

Hahaha loving WOW

there is no rematch option in private matches, you get booted all the way back to the menu and have to repick character and level and reload everything.

Japanese devs really don't know a loving thing about game design, I gotta stop taking NRS for granted because simple things don't seem to be that simple.
The lobby menu is worse than Soul Calibur 4. I only figured out confirming a match to start requires you to press A by intuition, meanwhile the menu Y is supposed to bring up is non-existent.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Here's that tutorial about getting off the ground I promised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3uO3GGifbQ

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
For anybody who looked at that character overview doc that Brosnan linked in the OP and thought "cool, but I want this in video form", someone did that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

Spliced footage in from players that very likely know what they're doing!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nobys guide says katarina has a d/f+1, u/b+4 combo at the wall. They dont seem to link though?

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Is my Paul gay enough? Y/Y

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did tekken tag 2 have this level of customization and is it possible to go back to that game after playing this? Seems like it has a lot more characters that are cooler (roger etc)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I recorded some of Katarina's easier combos. All hit for around 60 damage.

https://twitter.com/SethSeries/status/871198857136406528

https://twitter.com/SethSeries/status/871193714026323968

https://twitter.com/SethSeries/status/871189134689394688

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

The lobby menu is worse than Soul Calibur 4. I only figured out confirming a match to start requires you to press A by intuition, meanwhile the menu Y is supposed to bring up is non-existent.

You can confirm with either start or A. And the menu is in the top left corner.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

These are cool. What would you use at the wall?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

guppy posted:

More newbie questions:

1. For juggling, am I supposed to learn character-specific combos that juggle, or is there just a generalized principle I'm supposed to internalize?

2. When being juggled, there's nothing I can do about it but wait it out and get up safely, right? I assume my opportunity to stop it was to not get launched.

3. Better players than me have done some crazy combos on me, carrying me to the wall from like mid-stage and continuing to beat me up there. Like, really long ones, like 15+ hits. I haven't had much luck blocking mid-combo if I ate the beginning. Is that expected or are there places where I can block/counter-hit in these long combo strings?

1. General combo theory seems to be like, some sort of launcher, hit or two, do your "screw" attack(they have a special icon in the move list) which then knocks guy to the ground and you can then finish your combo.

2. When being juggled you just gotta groove on it yeah.

3. In long strings yeah its just gonna have to come down to memorization and knowledge of whats going on. When its all new of course its gonna be bamboozling to you. A good part of any fighting game isn't knowing what you can do, but also everything your opponent can do. You could for example duck a high and get a punish in a string, or if you know a low is coming you can do that low-parry thing which i totally don't remember how to do someone help me out here.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, this final boss of the story mode sucks. It's bad enough it has all the advantages it could possible have, I have to start with a fraction of my health?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah I was able to play through story mode on normal up to that point. An hour of bashing my head against the final boss and I set it on easy. It's so dumb.

The online in this also sucks, I've only managed to connect to 1 match, which I won, so I have a 100% win rate so that's cool. Biggest problem is the lack of SP content. And with MP not working all I can really do is mess about in treasure mode and practice mode. Getting decent at Josie at least. There are too many cool characters in this and it's hard to pick a main. Josie seems simple and straightforward.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Managed to rank up with losing 6 straight ranked matches. Winning,

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Tournament mode still works, although it seems buggier today than before. Lots of matches not starting, and there'll occasionally be one player that has a 'not connectable' signal for you, which means you gotta hope you don't wind up in the finals with them. I just had a long streak of tournament wins broken when I matched up with an unconnectable dude in the finals and the game just decided, 'eh, you lose'. And then it didn't progress to the last screen, so no one even got their winnings.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Psn is still hosed but im gonna be patient and hone my 4 mashing skills for when the time is right to unleash my scrub katarina with the doggy facepaint

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Other than achievements and challenge, is there any differences in Story Mode difficulty level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, this final boss of the story mode sucks. It's bad enough it has all the advantages it could possible have, I have to start with a fraction of my health?

It only looks like it, you actually do have a lot of health.