Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

McLemore is a FA and :lol: at suggesting trading for Okafor when they already have a million bigs and the best players at #10 are probably more ground bound bigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lol at the Sixers trading down to toss Okafor

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

"Let's salary dump this incredibly cheap player"

loving what

Like of all the ridiculous things I have ever seen, that is probably the stupidest

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

??? What did he do to you ?

He contributed greatly to the dysfunction of NCSU and had a really bad attitude. Ask NC State fans who wanted to believe.

quote:

N.C. State's offense didn't look very smooth with him at the helm, as he can be a bit predictable at times with his approach, not always being a willing passer, and killing his dribble unnecessarily too frequently, leading to careless turnovers. While the lack of coaching and poorly-suited roster around him were definitely mitigating factors to consider, there's no doubt that Smith played a major role in his team's inability to win games and overall dysfunction.

Fifteen months removed from tearing his ACL, Dennis Smith started what would become an uneven freshman campaign at N.C. State. He mixed extreme highs, with some bafflingly lackluster showings, resulting in his head coach being fired, and somewhat of a bad taste left in the mouths of Wolfpack fans.

He is not very vocal on the floor in terms of his on-court leadership, and the chemistry and body language he demonstrated with teammates left a lot to be desired, especially as the season moved on.

There's no doubt that Smith has the physical tools to be very good on this end of the floor if he wants to be, with his strong frame, quick feet, and solid anticipation skills that allowed him to get in the passing lanes frequently. He'll show you flashes of that at times, heating up the ball impressively, fighting over screens, and walling off penetration, but would never really sustain this for more than a few seconds at a time, relaxing in his stance as soon as the ball was swung the other way.

See I read this and I'm thinking if you draft this guy over Josh Jackson who who will set his own grandmother on fire to win you might be missing out in the long run. The last thing the Sixers need is something to poison the chemistry.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

He contributed greatly to the dysfunction of NCSU and had a really bad attitude. Ask NC State fans who wanted to believe.

See I read this and I'm thinking if you draft this guy over Josh Jackson who who will set his own grandmother on fire to win you might be missing out in the long run. The last thing the Sixers need is something to poison the chemistry.

Wow he's perfect for the Knicks I cant wait lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

Josh Jackson is shorter, lighter and has a significantly smaller wingspan than Caleb Swanigan.

He absolutely owned Caleb when they went head to head. Don't get too caught up in measurables.

Hah, I mean, obviously he's not a lottery pick, I'm just pushing back a bit on some of the knocks against him. I bet his conditioning goes the K Love/Marc Gasol route not the Traylor/Reeves/Sweeney/Ostertag route. Why do I think this? No reason whatsoever except I'm in a good mood and I like to hope for the best for our young basketball boys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

Nothing in there was a red flag to me . Seemed like a normal reaction to being on a poo poo team and stuck playing college ball in an asinine system.

I can see how others would red flag him for that tho.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a huge homer for JJ so take everything I say with the great salt lake

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Doesn't Swanigan have like a 7'3" wingspan to compensate for being 6'10"? Heavy dude with long arms is occasionally the best kinda rebounder.

Also he is still fat but as a general intuition I'd assume a dude who's already known for being a stupendous weight-loss sucess story shouldn't have too much trouble going the rest of the way? I dunno maybe that's too big an assumption

solid shooter and his name tools are deceptively athletic I wouldn't mind late first for him one bit. In fact I think he'll be good So There

He's not 6'10", he's like 6'7".

He'll be able to rebound but I don't think his offense holds up and he's going to be an absolute disaster on defense

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 3, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

He'll be able to rebound but I don't think his offense holds up and he's going to be an absolute disaster on defense

Where can I find reputable height listings? DX I'm seeing his height as 6'9" or 6"10' and his standing reach as 9'0" which isn't too bad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If it says they were combine measurements, they're about as accurate as you're going to get. Any other source be skeptical of.

Like Lavar Ball is claiming Lonzo is 6'7" now even though he was 6'5" last time anyone measured him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In other Lonzo news, we don't know anything about their current front office, including if they are leaky or not (you used to be able to say every "source" in the Lakers was bullshit if it wasn't something Jeanie Buss would know about), but this dude is saying they're passing on Ball:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/871111030918848513

The Lakers are having my late-first-early-second Dream Team workout on Monday, taking a look at Juwan Evans, Josh Hart and Monte Morris (and some other dues I haven't heard of).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope Lonzo gets drafted by the Knicks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I think youre right. What I see is a short power forward who moves in slow motion, whose game is Michael Jordan post ups and fadeaways, a few hooks, and who knows if he'll be able to get his shots off over 6'10 guys who are more agile and can jump much higher. A lot of his rebounds were Russell Westbrook/Lance Stephenson free rebounds that his teammates could have caught instead. Drafting him would be gambling that his game would work against NBA length and agility and that you'd have a roster where a 4 who was awful on defense isn't too much of a problem.

Zach Collins is going to be drafted in the top 10 because he hit a total of 10 out of a sample of 21 total threes in one year. There's no mystery about Swanigan and so he'll go where he'll go

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2017

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/871112566801522688

uh, yes please.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That athleticism is impressive but man his footwork is awful.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Rick posted:

Should have played soccer as a kid.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've not seen him play. But Dennis Smith sounds like one of those guys who works out really poorly for his draft team, gets a bit of maturity, and proceeds to crush it for some team that takes a flier on him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like the maturity thing is super overblown for him and if he didn't play in such a stuffy conference no one would've even noticed. Like it's pretty common for most first round prospects to start dialing up their number on a team that's losing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't watch a ton of college basketball but why is Ball ahead of Fox on almost every mock draft. I know it's one game but Fox absolutely clowned him and looked like a much better player when they went head to head.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Fox can't shoot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

morestuff posted:

I'd actually be pretty happy with Collins, maybe even over Lauri, but if they draft a white dude way too early it's definitely going to be Kennard

A big man reach obviously doesn't make much sense because they have so much invested in Miles Plumlee

DX is mocking Kennard to the Hornets in their latest update so it's time to start ignoring draft news out of self-preservation

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think youre right. What I see is a short power forward who moves in slow motion, whose game is Michael Jordan post ups and fadeaways, a few hooks, and who knows if he'll be able to get his shots off over 6'10 guys who are more agile and can jump much higher. A lot of his rebounds were Russell Westbrook/Lance Stephenson free rebounds that his teammates could have caught instead. Drafting him would be gambling that his game would work against NBA length and agility and that you'd have a roster where a 4 who was awful on defense isn't too much of a problem.

Zach Collins is going to be drafted in the top 10 because he hit a total of 10 out of a sample of 21 total threes in one year. There's no mystery about Swanigan and so he'll go where he'll go

what stuck out for me with Swanigan was .781 (164/210) from the line and 44.7% (38/85) from college three. It makes me think a team can get some good use out of him without trying to make him post up.

FT% was supposed to project real well into NBA shooting, yeah? Also steals? Steals leaders among the draft class goes like, Dennis Smith, Lonzo Ball, PJ Dozier then Josh Jackson

Swanigan's definitely closer to 6'8" than 6'9" tho', found some better numbers on that

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've not seen him play. But Dennis Smith sounds like one of those guys who works out really poorly for his draft team, gets a bit of maturity, and proceeds to crush it for some team that takes a flier on him.

he's coming to the Knicks and nobody can stop us

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

EvanTH posted:

he's coming to the Knicks and nobody can stop us

signing as a rook with the knicks is a death sentence

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

I don't watch a ton of college basketball but why is Ball ahead of Fox on almost every mock draft. I know it's one game but Fox absolutely clowned him and looked like a much better player when they went head to head.

Because that's how high he was ranked before the season and the hype train stayed on the rails, basically.

If the Lakers don't take him I kind of expect him to fall a significant amount of spots (though Vivek could stop it).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

morestuff posted:

Fox can't shoot

[Extremely weird posing style] BaLl's ShOT IsNT'T IDeAL

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The latest DX mock has the Kings getting Tatum and DSJ. No loving way Vivek and co. fall into something that prosperous.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The latest DX mock has the Kings getting Tatum and DSJ. No loving way Vivek and co. fall into something that prosperous.

DSJ isn't lasting to 10

The more I think about it I definitely want the Sixers to either take Jackson or trade out of the pick to someone that wants Jackson

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Because that's how high he was ranked before the season and the hype train stayed on the rails, basically.

If the Lakers don't take him I kind of expect him to fall a significant amount of spots (though Vivek could stop it).

He was always above Fox but he wasn't Top 2 at the start of the season. He rose quite a bit by playing really really well during the regular season. Here's a BR article about Ford's first mock draft and he had him going 7th behind guys like Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr., Issac, and the French dude

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2659396.amp.html

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

TheShazbot posted:

signing as a rook with the knicks is a death sentence

Hail Kristaps, God Of Death

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Niwrad posted:

Ball's tall and looks very good on the fast break and can hit open jumpers. He's actually a good prospect, dad aside. He won't tumble far past the Lakers if they pass on him

Rick posted:

I assume whoever's drafting him will probably have him focus on face-up stuff and drives. Post-ups and isos din't really fit in with high pace offenses so unless the Spurs or Jazz try to grab him I doubt it'll be a huge issue

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think Jonathan Isaac is gonna be good once he shatters his hands and uses the breaks to stretch them to massive size

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is Kennard at least hideable on defense or is there a good chance he's unplayable

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

Is Kennard at least hideable on defense or is there a good chance he's unplayable

He tries really hard, which is usually enough to make a player hideable.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

EvanTH posted:

what stuck out for me with Swanigan was .781 (164/210) from the line and 44.7% (38/85) from college three. It makes me think a team can get some good use out of him without trying to make him post up.

FT% was supposed to project real well into NBA shooting, yeah? Also steals? Steals leaders among the draft class goes like, Dennis Smith, Lonzo Ball, PJ Dozier then Josh Jackson

Swanigan's definitely closer to 6'8" than 6'9" tho', found some better numbers on that

The 3 point percentage was a huge jump from his freshman year (29.2% 21-72) so that raises a flag. He also turns the ball over a ton (21.6% per 100 possessions) and Kansas absolutely exploited him on defense. He does not deal with quickness well at all.

I understand the work ethic concerns considering what he weighed just a few years ago, but I think he has legit turned his life around. He lost the weight, improved his shooting and was academic all American this year, he was in just such an unbelievably lovely situation before.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

I went through this exact phase when everyone was mocking him to OKC @ 21 a month ago. I would say it gets better, but.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah how'd I get stuck defending Swanigan so hard? I'm not even that high on him, but...
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/caleb-swanigan-1.html

Yes, a jump (or a decline for that matter) in 3p shooting is sometimes suspect because the sample sizes are generally small, but the corresponding improvement in FT shooting makes it look like yes he can actually shoot pretty good

TOV% is, um, sorry for this it's going to be super nitpicky and several separate things:
-TOV% of 21.6 was his freshman season, it dropped to 18.5 this season despite an increased role (this is good)
-TOV% is already per 100, so you don't really get TOV% per 100. Formula is:
100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV)
(FGA + .44 * FTA) is roughly "how many shots did you take" (.44 * FTA is the assumption that slightly less than half of your freethrows result from FGAs. It's putting back in the missed shots that didn't count as missed shots because they resulted in free throws)
so TOV% is basically looking at the ratio of Turnovers : Possessions The Player Ended Themselves (via shot attempt or turnover) so it's not exactly a metric of general ball security or anything. A very high TOV% in the NBA is usually indicative of folks who pass much more than they shoot. List of this NBA season's highest TOV%s was like, Rondo, Rubio, Harden, Draymond Green and a bunch of bad PGs.
-Last season he turned the ball over about 5.9 times per 100, which isn't great, but it's not disgusting considering he was handling a bunch of the offensive load and he wasn't a bad passer for a big man.

probably not being able to deal with NBA quickness is a big problem and one I agree with which is why I'm finding it so strange to be defending the guy WHAT AM I DOING

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The players with the biggest hands in the draft, Harry Giles and Moritz Wagner, are both half an inch narrower than Kawhi Leonard. Giles is 6'10 in shoes, Wagner is 6'11.25, Kawhi is 6'7.

Giannis's hands are 12 inches x 12 inches apparently, at 6'10-6'11

Jordan's hands were 11.375 at 6'5

However, hand size isn't everything, as Noah Vonleh's are 11.75 inches wide and he's awful

Lebron's hands are a pedestrian 9.5 inches

You don't have to be a disgusting genetic freakazoid to work here... BUT IT HELPS :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

The players with the biggest hands in the draft, Harry Giles and Moritz Wagner, are both half an inch narrower than Kawhi Leonard. Giles is 6'10 in shoes, Wagner is 6'11.25, Kawhi is 6'7.

Giannis's hands are 12 inches x 12 inches apparently, at 6'10-6'11

Jordan's hands were 11.375 at 6'5

However, hand size isn't everything, as Noah Vonleh's are 11.75 inches wide and he's awful

Lebron's hands are a pedestrian 9.5 inches

You don't have to be a disgusting genetic freakazoid to work here... BUT IT HELPS :q:

At least Noah Vonleh is the subject of the coolest photo of all time

You know the one, where he looks like a panther springing into action

• Locked thread