Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Track down Hestu so we can get rid of these nasty seeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
So... Does Impa and her Granddaughter have any specific reaction to a nude run?
I can't imagine they wouldn't...

That said, I vote we hunt down Hestu.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
So funny thing. For most of th egame I wore the sheikah outfit because the upgrades for it were REALLY easy to get.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

iospace posted:

Stab a cucco until you get mobbed, run in a circle, and whatever direction you're pointing in when you die, head that way.

Changing my vote to this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

iospace posted:

Stab a cucco until you get mobbed, run in a circle, and whatever direction you're pointing in when you die, head that way.

Get Hateno out of the way first but then immediately do this

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hateno ho!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PMush Perfect posted:

Hateno.

Is it outfit vote time yet? :swoon:

Sure. I'll have to figure out a better way to do this in the future, but for now we have:

* Old Shirt and Well-Worn Trousers
* Warm Doublet
* Nintendo Switch T-Shirt
* Rubber Helm
* Climber's Bandanna
* Hylian Hood/Tunic/Trousers
* Stealth Headdress/Tunic/Trousers (Buying this won overwhelmingly)

I'll also do a proper vote on that later this afternoon or so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PMush Perfect posted:

Bandanna, Hylian Top, and Sheikah Pants.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Hateno-time!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Weeble posted:

Gonna keep suggesting we climb around the Volcano, no matter how long it takes.

Volcanoes will never steer you wrong.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wear the stealth gear. Link with his hair done up with chopsticks always looked funny to me and being stealthy is more useful than you'd expect! (Admittedly Ganonhoof is kind of an impediment to stealth. Not easy to be stealthy when you're riding Raoh's horse.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Wear the stealth gear. And go to Hateno. We need that last rune.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like how Great Fairies in this series are always really different. I mean, sure, they're usually giant women but there's a lot of variety between them. WW ones are still the best I think. These Clown Box ones are very good though.

Also I spent a lot of time goofing off before going to Kakariko the first time, so the combat was rough as hell for quite a while.

Also also I will definitely be voting Hateno but not just for the rune. For fashion.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Zebrin posted:

So... Does Impa and her Granddaughter have any specific reaction to a nude run?
I can't imagine they wouldn't...

Paya does, if I recall.

My vote is for Hateno just to get the slate fully active and be able to do some things that come up a lot.

Hylian Shirt and Pants and Climber's Bandanna looks pretty good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll vote Hateno if it unlocks true open world mode.

And then we do the DEATH BY CUCCOS

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Seems enough of a consensus on Hateno Village for now that I'll skip the poll and just do it so I can get some gameplay in tonight and probably sneak in an update tomorrow.

PMush Perfect posted:

Bandanna, Hylian Top, and Sheikah Pants.

I'll also go with this for now as this seems the best compromise for now. In the future, I'll probably do three polls for head/shirt/pants each time I record new gameplay (I usually record in two-update chunks) since it's the easiest way to do things, though still feel free to encourage clothing preferences to influence voters or whatever.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glad to see we're going to Hateno but can I make a request? Even if we're going to go to Hateno, let's not use the roads. Let's cross country our way there! It'll be more interesting! Maybe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Up to you guys! Probably won't play for an hour or two anyway so you've got time to decide.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The best stuff happens off the road, so I say go as straight of a line there as you can.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I trust you to get appropriately distracted regardless of route.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bomb the plum trees and go wherever the last one falls.

(Can you burn them / chop them down?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ThornBrain posted:

The best stuff happens off the road, so I say go as straight of a line there as you can.
:yeah:

Mega64 posted:

I'll also go with this for now as this seems the best compromise for now.
:toot:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Humm... Maybe you could :goleft:follow the road, but every time the path forks, go left.(Unless that takes you in an obvious and short circle.) :goleft:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This means you're never completely screwed if you accidentally screw up and ride your horse into a volcano or something weird.

Before we start, the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of buying the Sheikah set, which means selling gems for cash. Claree is very enthusiastic abut buying stuff from us.

I'm always happy to take a look at what you've collected, so come back if you ever want to sell anything!

Everyone will buy items, foods, and some types of armors. Gems are probably the most efficient thing to sell, though you can also make good bucks cooking certain foods.

And with that, we're set for now.

Here's Link in all his Sheikah glory.

That said, an informal vote led to this outfit. Traveler's Bandanna, Hylian Tunic, Stealth Tights.

The stealth clothes require Blue Nightshade to level up, something that grows all over the forest surrounding the Great Fairy. I take advantage and upgrade all three.

Anyway, our goal for now is to head to Hateno Village to get our final rune. We'll be skipping the roads this time.

If we travel past the forest with the Great Fairy, we reach this fork with a traveler nearby.

The Yiga Clan?

What? You don't know? Fine... I'll tell you... The Yiga Clan... It's...

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u21/021.mp4

Music: Lynel / Yiga Assassin Battle

This is our first encounter with the Yiga. They'll disguise themselves as regular travelers, then strike.

They're fast and rather tricky to hit.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u21/025.mp4

They can also teleport, which makes landing attacks on them pretty tricky.

He gets the drop on me, but thankfully I've got some sturdy armor now so an attack that would've one-shot me nude only does half a heart of damage.

Eventually I defeat him. When defeated, the Yiga teleport away, dropping rupees and sometimes bananas. Weird.

We also get his weapon, which isn't too bad.

Anyway, this road will lead us on the path to Hateno Village.

So let's forge our own path to Hateno Village.

This is to the north. A bit hazy right now so we can't really get a good view here.

There is some smoke off nearby, though, and where there's smoke...

I'm Eryck. I'm traveling the world on a journey of self-discovery.

But then, like, I heard a voice... coming from the north tower...

Zora's Domain pops up in many Zelda games, and apparently one of the Divine Beasts is associated with the Zora.

Zora's Domain is home of the Zora. It's a town in Lanayru. But crossing the Rutala River is impossible. It's a hard place to get to, so I just gave up altogether.

North Tower:

If you continue north from here, on the other side of the Rutala River, you can see a huge tower on the opposite bank. I thought I heard a voice coming from the top of that tower. I wonder if someone's up there.

Rutala River:

Rutala River is the widest river in Lanayru. You'd be risking your life if you tried to swim across it... If you want to go north of it, you'll have to walk patiently to Linebeck Island in the east so you can circumvent it.

Some interesting things that may warrant investigation in the future. For now, we've got bigger priorities.

Nearby, there's a familiar song playing...

Music: Musician (Kass' Song)

Well, look who's here!

Ah, I knew we'd meet again! Though, I never imagined it would be here... I know a song about this place.

Kass usually has some good information, so let's give it a listen.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u21/061.mp4

There's definitely a secret hiding here, but it's beyond me.

A beast with a crown of bone? Surely we can find something like that roaming out here, considering how open everything is.

...Hmm.

Let's boost our stealth for this one.

That certainly looks to me like a crown of bone.

Fun fact: You can soothe and ride deer. Unfortunately, you can't leave them in a stable, so they're only a temporary steed.

Still, it's long enough to do what we need to do.

There we go!

Those majestic creatures ARE a bit like the kings of the forest, aren't they? Your exploits here could be their own heroic song, you know...

Alright, now to ride up to the shrine and

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u21/085.mp4

Alright, now to walk up to the shrine and see what awaits us.

Music: Shrine Theme

Now this is a cool one. Challenging enough that even though I've done it before, it still took me awhile to figure out the "solution" (which of course there's probably multiple of which).

There's a switch here.

And four different sides. The right side houses the monk.

Behind us is a laser blocked by a magnetic block.

When the switch is activated, the platform in the middle moves clockwise, stopping at the next area. This switch can be activated by several things, including bombs, the laser, or impact by items like arrows.

Getting to this chest is trivial enough.

In the middle path is a switch that needs to be weighed down to open the path to the monk. But that still doesn't tell us how to get there.

Another piece of information: The laser can be stasised.

Let's use the chest to weigh the switch down, since we may need that block.

Hitting the block with the switch will also change the switch.

So we need to hit the switch three times. The issue is there's a slope right before the platform, so we cannot use arrows to hit the switch. So how do we hit it three times?

Feel free to figure it out yourselves before seeing the solution below:

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u21/102.mp4

"Trifecta" is the key, especially since water isn't involved.

I liked that one.

Unfortunately, we got pretty sidetracked with this one. We really should be getting to Hateno Village now.

...after we scour this pond for frogs and Koroks.

At this point it'll be fastest to climb our way up.

A circle of rocks, with a rock in the center and a hole where a rock should be...

Yeah.

So you know what time it is, right?

Blood Moon.

Barely made it on that one.

Anyway, here we are. Going to the right would get us to Hateno...

...but there's something weird about that mountain.

Screw it, what's one more detour?

This area is very cold, so much that one layer of cold protection is not enough.

In order to not take damage, Link will sport the Warm Doublet while also wielding the Flameblade, which itself adds a layer of cold protection when held.

So on we go!

Stand on the stump, reach the circle within the time limit, find a Korok.

There's stuff to mine here. I quickly swap to my mining club so I don't break my Flameblade. I only have two food items that grant cold resistance together for five minutes, so if I'm not careful my exploring here could end prematurely.

More flora.

...This is a big mountain.

Snow wolves abound. Wolves will circle you but won't actually attack unless you linger in their territory for too long. Good source of meat at least.

...Still more mountain.

If you simply wave a Flameblade in front of an ice block, the heat will melt the ice without the blade taking damage. Hitting the block lessens the durability of the blade.

This still takes awhile though.

What a surprise.

We're, slowly, making progress.

Eventually we get high enough to start to see just what's behind that dense mist.

...uhhhh...

...well I wasn't expecting that.

Before we do this, I'll be linking a seven minute video. It's kinda meandering, but it's also probably the best way to experience this, as words (certainly my words) can't really do this part justice. This is one of my favorite moments in the game for good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWv_N3WfelQ

That said, I'll still be doing short videos and screenshot commentary. So without further adieu...

You who have overcome numerous trials and obtained the Spirit Orbs...

This servant of the Goddess has looked over the spirits of this land for ages, unknown to the world of man.

This is...sort of a boss fight?

Music: Corrupted Dragon

The first thing to do is rather simple.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u21/156.mp4

After the first attack, the dragon takes off to the sky. You might catch its updraft, but first thing to do is chase it to the top of the mountain.

Once there, the dragon will fly around you. Careful observation reveals three more eyeballs on its body, including the one on its head.

There's one under its body, so it'll be the one you'll most likely target.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u21/161.mp4

I go in the air for the slo-mo positioning, then land the next blow.

After this, the dragon flies off and descends into the lower ranges below.

We, of course, are going to follow it. This battle's not over yet!

In situations such as these, if you release your paraglider and reglide, you'll restore your stamina, plus there'll be an updraft to keep you adrift. It's a really nice way to give you paragliding challenges without making them one-shot attempts.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u21/167.mp4

Next eye down, followed by a rather close call. We may not die touching the dragon, but we'd surely lose our air advantage and would be unable to chase it easily as it flies further away.

We're almost done!

To be honest, this really isn't that difficult a battle. If you can aim and have 10-15 arrows, you should ace this easily.

But the experience is phenomenal. Many people, including myself, just decide to explore this area and climb the obvious high mountain with fog hiding its big secret. Then to scale it and find a freaking dragon there is crazy enough. Then you have to fight it? Chasing it in the air? There's just this whole dreamlike quality to the entire experience that makes it stand out so much. This was one of my favorite moments in a game full of great moments.

The best part is this feels like just another overworld encounter. There's no context-sensitive commands or cutscene magic here. It's you using your usual abilities and tools to chase and subdue a corrupted dragon. If that's not badass, I don't know what is.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u21/173.mp4

The final blow is enough to defeat the malice tainting the dragon, restoring it to normal.

There's one last thing to do.

Music: Dragon

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u21/176.mp4

We must knock off its nose scale.

It serves as proof of the courage you received from the one who served the spring since ancient times.

Now all we have to do is take the scale and drop it here.

And this reveals a hidden shrine. Yeah, that's our ultimate reward.

Well, that and something else I'm sure I'll show later...

For now, let's get our rewards.

An ice-elemental spear to match our other weapons...

And, of course, a Spirit Orb.

And this area? The Spring of Wisdom. Yep!

We've done all we can here. It's time to move on.

Unfortunately, we can't really take advantage of the high ground here to scope out our surroundings.

So into the wild unknown we go again!

But first

Gotta glide over to this tree and jump off. Hanging from the tops of trees will restore stamina, thankfully.

That's done.

Even in this dense fog, the malice surrounding Hyrule Castle is visible.

Beyond, we can see the faint outlines of a tower and a shrine.

The shrine is...in a village? I believe we've found our destination!

I veer off course a bit so we can enter the place proper.

And a good thing, too!

Another group rescued!

Crazy Truffle Lady!

Next time, Hateno Village. Also vote for our next Stamina Orb upgrade.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bit of a Freudian slip there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Climb Mountain, Fight Dragon.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I didn't even know the Yiga were a thing until dozens of hours into the game; I just never used the roads/bothered talking to the random travelers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's everything I dreamed it would be. :swoon:

Also, drat, that dragon is a cool moment.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

My jaw was just hanging open throughout that whole dragon experience. I had heard a lot about the game, and watched several hours of it on streams closer to release, but I had never heard anything about that scene. Absolutely amazing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the temperature mechanics if you look at the thermometer in the corner. There's red and blue marks on the side for extreme temperatures that cause damage. Resistance clothes like the doublet will lower those marks, but the elemental weapons? They actually move the needle indicating ambient temperature. One of those little things that just makes the game click for me.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I beat the game and in the back of my head was "huh, I bet there's another dragon, I know the world is big, but I wonder how I'm missing it".

Now I know. :stare:

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
I'll go more into it when it comes up, but that dragon encounter was one of the many moments that really emphasized something for me: This game is something special.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

My jaw was just hanging open throughout that whole dragon experience. I had heard a lot about the game, and watched several hours of it on streams closer to release, but I had never heard anything about that scene. Absolutely amazing.

Yeah, I like how they kept a lid on the dragons through marketing.

It makes them seem like they're... not supposed to be there? If that makes sense?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

It makes them seem like they're... not supposed to be there? If that makes sense?

I've watched 90 minute in-depth analytical videos on this game without seeing the dragons. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is landing on the dragon and walking across it to attack the weak points, Shadow of the Colossus style, a viable option?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Glazius posted:

First time I saw one was in a thunderstorm and was all "Oh poo poo, is that thing CAUSING these storms?!" and spent a while avoiding them until I found the Ice Dragon at the top of the mountain, and learning that they're fairly friendly... just that their dandruff is lethal to Link.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ohoho, this event! This is some Princess Mononoke bullshit right here, and I mean that as the highest possible compliment. I stumbled into this real early; basically around the same time the LP did, but I didn't know that closing and opening the paraglider would refill your stamina. I did, however, have a lot of stamina elixirs handy, so... yeah! I was also running out of arrows by the time I got to the last eye, so it was rather an exciting proposition all around! (I was basically making the :stare: face the whole time, because this was NOT what I was expecting from my mountaineering adventure!)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

vdate posted:

Ohoho, this event! This is some Princess Mononoke bullshit right here, and I mean that as the highest possible compliment. I stumbled into this real early; basically around the same time the LP did, but I didn't know that closing and opening the paraglider would refill your stamina. I did, however, have a lot of stamina elixirs handy, so... yeah! I was also running out of arrows by the time I got to the last eye, so it was rather an exciting proposition all around! (I was basically making the :stare: face the whole time, because this was NOT what I was expecting from my mountaineering adventure!)

This gives me an idea: Can somebody whip up some art of Link chugging a stamina elixir while paragliding?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I got there while freezing to death (not enough cold resist, just chugging food) and assumed it would be a much tougher boss fight so I nope-d out. Went through more of the game watching it circle the mountain off in the distance taunting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

MiddleOne posted:

I've watched 90 minute in-depth analytical videos on this game without seeing the dragons. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

They're cool but underutilized, let's say

• Locked thread