Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Having a defined end condition makes SWA amazing. I love me some Mordheim but is basically just goof around until one gang gets out of hand and the game just disintegrates.

There needs to be more reasons to spend promethium and a bigger injury table but if they add on a supplemental it would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I find the lack of Obliterators disturbing. :colbert:

Awesome battle report otherwise!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I find the lack of Obliterators disturbing. :colbert:

Awesome battle report otherwise!

Thanks! I thought about bringing them instead of Terminators, but I wanted to see how the new Terminators would do. Next IW game I play, I'll take some Oblits

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

- I suspect Necrons are about to become a horde army, where 3-squad-of-20-warriors-and-3-cryptek lists will be the major jam. Run blobs big enough to get some longevity with Crypteks to boost them. Dealing with these guys is gonna require a lot of heavy bolters and autocannons.

Do multiple crypteks stack their bonuses to Reanimation Protocol? Sticking a couple with a lord + resurrection orb would be a pretty durable combo until snipers get involved.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warhammer 40K 8th Edition: What if the Lash is Actually Lovable?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Get real mad at the number of shots Tesla weapons put out when their bullshit activates on 5s

How do you get tesla on 5s?

EDIT: Oh gently caress, My Will Be Done and the +1 makes the tesla activate on totals of 6 and 7? gently caress yeah I missed that

Too bad I didn't build any tesla weapons because 7th

Salynne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 4, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I bit the bullet and Ordered Dark Imperium and the Chaos and Xenos 2 books. (I want to maintain both a Chaos and Ork force.)

Though I intended to sell off some chaos forces I am not using.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Yeah looking through the leaked chaos book, I realize now that like 2/3 of my death guard painted stuff can't be taken by death guard so I guess I am gonna repaint them as a different legion.

I've always wanted a Night Lords army

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Black_Nexus posted:

Yeah looking through the leaked chaos book, I realize now that like 2/3 of my death guard painted stuff can't be taken by death guard so I guess I am gonna repaint them as a different legion.

You might want to wait on that. I mean, Mortarion isn't in the leaked chaos book either...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I got to slam hams with my friend today who played Dark Eldar in 7th and now just tried his old Tyranid models in 8th, we both went for 30 power because power is cool + good

My list:
  • Chaos Lord with combi-melta and power axe
  • 5x Chosen with 4x combi-meltas and various power weapons
  • 5x Chosen with 4x combi-meltas and various power weapons
  • 10x Cultists with heavy stubber
His list:
  • Old One Eye
  • Carnifex with some melee build
  • 3x Warriors with a venom cannon
  • 3x Rippers
We stumbled through the first turn or so because we were so used to playing 7th edition, but we quickly got accustomed to the rules and found them much more streamlined, simplified, and enjoyable. I was very happy to finally fight an army that actually tried to attack me instead of spending the entire game flying around and pulling off stupid jink bullshit. He got the first turn and crept up the board towards me, and even got the first blood of 8th edition by killing off one of my cultists on a rooftop (an old shoe box). The rippers he took used their deep strike ability to pop up within nine inches of me, and since I couldn't really get at his monsters just yet due to not having line of sight over barricades (pieces of styrofoam) I just killed the hell out of those rippers. When he finally approached me, he was nearly unstoppable. My meltas were very good at killing off his warriors, but it was a target priority nightmare and in retrospect I probably should have saved those shots for his carnifex and the HQ. Once he was in rapid fire range I killed off most of his warriors, since I was able to use combi-meltas in dual mode, and my chaos lord had a handy +1 to-hit ability to all units near him, which offset the -1 from firing both weapons at once. However, I didn't have the sheer volume of fire to kill off his monsters. All I could do was attempt to tar-pit him, so I had all my cultists charge him only to have them shredded to pieces. I barely made it to the end of turn 6, and the game ended in a tie, but it was pretty obvious that if we went for one more round he'd have tabled me because I only had two chosen and five cultists left on the table, while he had Old One Eye and the carnifex and two warriors with a single wound each.

All in all, I really enjoyed my first battle of 8th edition and I look forward to many more. The game feels much smoother now and free of most of the bullshit that bogged it down. It still feels like the ham we're used to, but in a leaner, smarter format. Tyranid monster lists with heavy warrior focus are actually pretty good now, and were massively improved by the removal of instant death. Chaos feels bland with the removal of traitor legions and all the cool psyker powers, but I'm anticipating they'll be fixing that after the proper codex releases.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Warhammer 40K 8th Edition: The streamlined road to disappointment

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Warhammer 40K 8th Edition: It's Carnifexes all the way down

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black_Nexus posted:

But, does that even matter? (so much is unclear about making lists in 8th)

Like, it says your army has to have a shared faction. Your shared faction is Chaos.

So is there anything stopping you from building formations that have a few Death Guard units and a few "Not Death Guard" units? I... don't think so?

Psyker powers would only be able to target units with Heretic Astartes... but that should count for everybody.

Your "Not Death Guard" wouldn't have the Death Guard faction, but... so? They would still have the Chaos faction... So the only downside I see is that the "Not Death Guard" heretic astartes wouldn't be able to get buffs from Typhus. But that's no biggie?

They completely changed allying rules in 8th and didn't explain it for poo poo :v:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Warhammer 40k 8E: Where We're Going, We Don't Need Points to Play

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, it says your army has to have a shared faction. Your shared faction is Chaos.

So is there anything stopping you from building formations that have a few Death Guard units and a few "Not Death Guard" units? I... don't think so?

Psyker powers would only be able to target units with Heretic Astartes... but that should count for everybody.

Your "Not Death Guard" wouldn't have the Death Guard faction, but... so? They would still have the Chaos faction... So the only downside I see is that the "Not Death Guard" heretic astartes wouldn't be able to get buffs from Typhus. But that's no biggie?

They completely changed allying rules in 8th and didn't explain it for poo poo :v:

It's explained. In matched play, you need to have your whole army share a faction keyword. You can absolutely do what you said, and you would have a "Chaos" army as a result.

You could also take a bunch of units with <Mark of Chaos> and make their mark be "Nurgle" and then run a full "Nurgle" army.

The caveat is, like you said, certain buffs only apply to certain faction keyword units.

In narrative, the only faction restrictions are if you are battleforged, and individual detachments have "share faction keyword" restriction. (Think allies in 7th, whole detachments of whatever, but not a mixed detachment)

EDIT: Any that say <Legion> can become Death Guard as well. I checked and that is, in fact, everything in the vanilla CSM list except some characters who are specific to a legion. Even the Khorne Lord of Skulls can be Death Guard.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2017

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

This is pretty much spot on, your army is a bunch of battle forged detachments that just needs to share a single faction word. At the start there probably won't be too many downsides to picking an army made of all kinds of stuff that shares just one faction word but I imagine as codex books come out there'll be benefits to picking an all nurgle army.

Right now though you can just play say imperium and drop in a knight, some marines and maybe scions. They all share the imperium keyword.

The rules for detachments seem clear enough for me though. If you want to play tau and eldar in a single army you need to play open, narrative and matched forces detachments.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
^^^
In narrative you are forced to detachments, but your entire army doesn't need to share a keyword. So you can bring a detachment of each.

General Olloth posted:

EDIT: Any that say <Legion> can become Death Guard as well. I checked and that is, in fact, everything in the vanilla CSM list except some characters who are specific to a legion. Even the Khorne Lord of Skulls can be Death Guard.

Whoops this isn't true. There is a specific box that says they can't on the first page of the death guard rules. That's kinda stupid.

The rest is true, you can still make a combined army or even detachment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Olloth posted:

This is totally wrong dude. It specifically says in all the legion boxes that you can only have certain units

General Olloth posted:

Whoops this isn't true. There is a specific box that says they can't on the first page of the death guard rules. That's kinda stupid.

The rest is true, you can still make a combined army or even detachment.

Yes, yes it is stupid. But you can still make a combined army, yeah.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I somehow have not one but possibly two spare GanesDay 1991 Marine Captains. Anyone in need?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kilo147 posted:

I somehow have not one but possibly two spare GanesDay 1991 Marine Captains. Anyone in need?
Reminder that this the guy with like 80 skulls on his sword scabbard.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

And skulls on his shoulders, elbows, and knees.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

With pics. One has a very light wash to show detail. No capes, sadly
https://i.imgur.com/0MamNJsr.jpg

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 4, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm just glad heavy bolters are finally good now. I've always loved their models but for as long as I've been playing, they've been poo poo.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah heavy bolters are great looking and I'm keen to have a reason to ever use them now.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I found the Imperium's Psyker exploding and damaging a good chunk of their forces entertaining.

Watched the video on the strength of this statement (don't usually watch 2hr+ youtube videos, but I had it on in the background last night). This was hilarious: their Imperial player re-rolled the dice for number of mortal wounds on his psyker - if he hadn't got a 3 on D3, his other units wouldn't take mortal wounds. He rolled a second 3. Later his hellhound blew up (on a 6, doing mortal wounds again). Spent a CP to re-roll. Another 6. HAH!

Game looks like fun, holy hell it seems quite hard to down vehicles/monsters without dedicated high-damage weapons and good luck. The removal of casualties being from anywhere (ie the back, for assault units) and the increased Mov of some troops makes it seem like assault armies won't be underpowered, as some people thought at first with random charges/overwatch still in.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Bear in the Woods posted:

Do multiple crypteks stack their bonuses to Reanimation Protocol? Sticking a couple with a lord + resurrection orb would be a pretty durable combo until snipers get involved.

Res Orbs seem good but they're once per game uses, whereas Crypteks give you an ongoing improvement to RP rolls and a 5+ invulnerable save, which I think is better given that you can roll for RP every turn, not just the turn the unit was destroyed.

Also bringing back Tomb Blades (2W models) is loving brutal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm really tempted by Thousand Sons. I really want a footslogging marine army, and they seem like they're tough enough to actually leg it out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Black_Nexus posted:

To add to what others have said.

GW have made clear the codex's are placeholder books, the new rules basically required a line wide update, so they've put these out.

There will be new codexs rolling out with the fluff, detailed options, hopefully rebalanced prices, new stuff etc etc.

So bear that in mind before you make major descisions.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That said I don't expect the factions who have limits on what units they can take to change a ton. They're more of a straight jacket right now, until new codexes come out to justify it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

That said I don't expect the factions who have limits on what units they can take to change a ton. They're more of a straight jacket right now, until new codexes come out to justify it.

We know Death Guard terminators are coming and right now Death Guard can't take them. They'll get obnoxious new names, but they'll be in there

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Sorry I should have specified I meant of current units. I expect new releases for death guard and whatever new crap coming down the pipeline for other factions to be added as approriate. But I doubt thousand sons will have standard chaos marines added back in for example.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Apparently according to the new book primaris marines get squads of guys in gravis armour with cyclone launchers like HH siege terminators, so I guess there's not a 1 for 1 terminator replacement?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Artum posted:

Apparently according to the new book primaris marines get squads of guys in gravis armour with cyclone launchers like HH siege terminators, so I guess there's not a 1 for 1 terminator replacement?

Because 10.000 years later, Guilliman is STILL gloating about having stolen Perturabo's special unit and made it better.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I opened up and had a look at the secret weapon boards.

They're good, and since I paid less than a fiver each that's excellent value.

I'd like some more road tiles. I think the set has one too few. I'd also like it if there was a park or waste ground tile.

Does anyone sell single tiles at a reasonable price? Does anyone make compatible tiles?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
It's a sad day when I'm turning -to- a MWG bat rep because the other guys are too fuckin' awkward to watch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't mind buying the books because it could be 9th edition before everyone gets a codex. Tyranids took 3 years after 3rd came out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry I should have specified I meant of current units. I expect new releases for death guard and whatever new crap coming down the pipeline for other factions to be added as approriate. But I doubt thousand sons will have standard chaos marines added back in for example.

Yeah my point is though that they may get stuff added in later, just with new edgelord names. Like Deathguard won't get terminators, they'll get Deathgrave Wardenblighters and they won't get Havocs, they'll get Noxious Blightspewers, and they won't get bikes, but Zoomcancer Tumorfuckers

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah my point is though that they may get stuff added in later, just with new edgelord names. Like Deathguard won't get terminators, they'll get Deathgrave Wardenblighters and they won't get Havocs, they'll get Noxious Blightspewers, and they won't get bikes, but Zoomcancer Tumorfuckers

I would buy several boxes of Zoomcancer Tumorfuckers.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Deptfordx posted:

I would buy several boxes of Zoomcancer Tumorfuckers.

But only if they're fast enough to outrun Tyranid Floppy Hook Dong attacks?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have completed my first match of 8th edition 40k!

The battle was Tyranids against Dark Eldar.

My List:
3x - Hive Tyrants with Devourers w/ Slimer Maggots - Wings - Monstrous Scything Talons.
2x - 10 man fleshborer termagant squads.
2x - 30 man termagant squads with I think... 12 devourers each.
2x - Warrior Broods with 5x warriors with scything talons, boneswords, adrenal glands
3x - Trygons.

His List.
Leilith
Urien Rakarth
4x Incubi with Venom
6x wracks with Raider
2 - 10 man warriors with Raiders
4 grotesques with Raider
Talos Pain Engine
6 Reaver Jetbikes
1 Void Raven.

It was Big Guns Never Tire, with the new deployment that's similar to Hammer and Anvil, but with the pointed shape.

Nids got first turn. All of his stuff was in transports, so I held back two of the trygons with a warrior squad and termagants. Termagants on the board advanced forward. Flyrants all flew forward. One Trygon drops near his grotesque raider and spits out some warriors.

Thanks to great rolls from smite, and some good shooting from the Tyrants, the grotesque raider was dead. Howver, both the Trygon and Warriors failed to make the charge on them.

So on his turn, he unloads on me with all he's got. Shot a lot of shots at Hive Tryants. Assaulted the warriors with a raider and the grotesques. Assaulted the Trygon with Raider and the Venom. Reavers assaulted a Hive Tyrant. And his dice crap the bed. He got one Hive Tyrant down to just a few wounds. The Trygon took a few wounds, but was alright. Everything else pretty much was unscathed.

Rakarth was going to assault the Trygon as well, needing just 3 inches for the charge. His dice had other ideas.

And that was just turn 1.

Turn 2 the other Trygons show up. One shows up behind his dudes with devourers. The termagants unload on Rakarth and kill him. The Trygon assaults a raider, blows it up, kills most of the Wracks inside. The first Trygon kills the venom and raider. The second warrior squad assaults the Talos. The squad of guants that started on the table shot up and killed the reavers. A Hive Tyrant assaulted the Voidraven, bringing it down to 4 wounds. Another Hive Tyrant assaulted the remaining grotesques and made quick work of them.

On his turn, Leilith and the Incubi assaulted and killed a Hive Tyrant. Another Hive Tryant was finished off in shooting. The Talos and Warriors just slapped at each other, not doing much. The Void Raven dropped a bomb on gaunts.

On my turn 3, the backfield guants shot up and finished off the Incubi, the Trygon assaulted Leilith and killed her easily. The warriors assaulted the kabalite warrior squad on the Trygon on the back and easily minced them. Trygon #3 assaulted the raider at the bottom of that image and killed it.

On his turn 3, he finished off the last Hive Tryant, and the warriors in the raider shot up and assaulted the termagant squad, killing I think about 20 of them after moral. (they were out of synapse at this point). But, from overwatch and attacks, there were only 4 kabalite warriors left at this point. The Tyranid Warriors finished off the Talos.

So, at the end of 3, he had a void raven with 4 wounds left, and 4 kabalite warriors with 3 Tyranid Warriors and a Trygon right next to them left. He decided to call it.

Overall, I felt the game flowed very nice. Not having to worry about arcs or facings or templates really sped up the movement phase. The alternating activations in combat was cool. Overall, I think 8th is great and i can't wait to play more.

• Locked thread