Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Time travel adjustments catching up to characters in real time is fully legitimate storytelling cause of Marty McFly :colbert:

e: Especially with the Speed Force where you could just say the time ripples followed him out, or whatever you need.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still don't understand how stopping Old Wally's heart in the past even stopped Deatstroke from having stolen New-Wally's powers in the first place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was the first major misstep DC has taken with Rebirth. The first multi book crossover, Batman and the Monster Men was a massive hit for stores and every issue sold out at Diamond. The Button was a no brainer so shops ordered heavy on it. We all figured this one would also be popular but after the second part people seemed to get wise and now I'm sitting on dozens of unsold copies of the finale.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I gave up after the first issue and dropped Teen Titans. I'm almost tempted to drop Deathstroke too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"getting online and complaining about people not liking your stuff" is just

why would a professional writer do that, especially one who has worked as long as priest?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I completely understand a writer wanting to defend their work and try and explain what they were going for but not that whiny rear end ranting there. That's not a defense of the work at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

especially one who has worked as long as priest?

What bigger perk of being a famous older creator is there than not having to hide your contempt for critics?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 4, 2017

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I've largely ignored the Lazarus Contract. I'm hoping I can continue reading Deathstroke as if it could largely be ignored moving on from the Twilight to Defiance arcs.

And gently caress you guys Azz's Wondy was glorious- Rucka's current run is largely mediocre and nowhere near the quality of his old stuff. Erasing a great run for this dreck is just a further insult. Year One was decent until the anticlimactic ending but the rest was decompressed and extremely average.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

I don't think I've ever liked an Azzarello book

Read Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Open Marriage Night posted:

Read Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

I did and thought it was marginally better than Joker.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
100 Bullets is legit great but if you are of the mind of "I don't like something written/drawn by a creator therefore all of his work retroactively sucks" ie the Frank Miller effect I suggest checking out Azz's Dr 13 Architecture and Morality to re evaluate your opinions on him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

And gently caress you guys Azz's Wondy was glorious- Rucka's current run is largely mediocre and nowhere near the quality of his old stuff. Erasing a great run for this dreck is just a further insult. Year One was decent until the anticlimactic ending but the rest was decompressed and extremely average.

Many bring up the men used as breeding stock and Orion's rear end slap*, but few bring up marrying Hades out of sheer compassion or Ares as a less-than-bloodthirsty avatar of war. There's a lot of story in 35 issues, and Chiang drew the hell out of them all.

*Complete with rhetorical trap sprung if anyone brings up WW's retaliation. I think she can deck a misogynist New God without remorse; they can take it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah those are dumb but kind of banal so no one brings it up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

100 Bullets is legit great but if you are of the mind of "I don't like something written/drawn by a creator therefore all of his work retroactively sucks" ie the Frank Miller effect I suggest checking out Azz's Dr 13 Architecture and Morality to re evaluate your opinions on him.

I forgot about Dr. 13, ok, I do like an Azzarello thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah those are dumb but kind of banal so no one brings it up.

He meant those are the good parts. All the gods had their own personalities and motivations. Most Wonder Woman stories you just get Ares in a suit of armor trying to start a war.

And it can't be stated enough how crisp the dialogue was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

. There's a lot of story in 35 issues, and Chiang drew the hell out of them all.

Cliff barely drew 2/3 of the run.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally I like Azzarello's run but it definitely has its flaws, which have been well pointed out here. But frankly if you wanna talk about who ruined the run after it finished, the Finches did way more damage to what Azzarello left behind compared to Rucka, who has more or less ignored it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was initially all "Aww man. C'mon." at Rucka having Diana literally crumpling a representation of Azz run (the God of War helmet) like paper and declaring it a lie in the very first moments, but it's really for the best when ties to the last thing are quickly cut or ignored.
For the rest of time these stories will usually be read in isolation, so having to do business to transition into your story/vision is a pretty big waste of time.
Remember how Alan Moore's Swamp Thing had to start tying off loose ends before it could really kick off. That stinks.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
"I'm mad about the wonder woman comic where she got slapped on the"

CUT TO A DIFFERENT CONVERSATION

"rear end backwards man, you gotta start with the rhythm and then work on"

"lyric flow in Azzarello's wonder woman run mostly used the same trick as late 100"

"Bullets are what come out of guns. If they hit you... you'll die."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Cliff barely drew 2/3 of the run.

I stand corrected. Still a helluva artist.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why are DC comics more gorier than Marvel's? It's kind of revolting to see some of the gore stuff even when the reboot curbed the edge of Forever Evil Dc

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Not super familiar with Azz's stuff but I just read the first Moonshine trade today. I liked it quite a bit, though I think it was mostly for the art and stylistic choices than the writing, though I think he did great work with the dialects and dialogue and atmosphere, but the plot hasn't gone far enough for me to decide how I feel about it yet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

That Dr. 13 mini was incredible. It is too bad that the rumored followup mini never got off the ground. It was the only reason to buy those 8 issues of Tales of the Unexpected.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why are DC comics more gorier than Marvel's? It's kind of revolting to see some of the gore stuff even when the reboot curbed the edge of Forever Evil Dc

The 616 has hardier arm joints than Earth 1.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Someone never read/suffered through Ultimates 3 and Ultimatium

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Geoff Johns plays a lot of Mortal Kombat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/871792518509232128
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/871745540463243264

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 6, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

This is beautiful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status/834850925277765632

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A human Porky Pig is wrong and should be destroyed.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Is the grey haired woman supposed to be Bugs?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If Bugs Bunny in drag is the femme fatale who haunts Fudd's dreams, no more perfect work of art will ever be created by mankind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that has to be Bugs and holy poo poo it's perfect.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Now I am seeing Elmer Fudd as Marv from Sin City, pining after Goldie/Bugs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that has to be Bugs and holy poo poo it's perfect.

God, I really hope that's true.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
She ain't no Mrs. Fudd.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

And I guess with the buck teeth, the guy sitting next Fudd is Sylvester? or maybe Daffy? This is going to be weird, I'm so looking forward to this.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Better to have wuvved and wost then never to have wuvved at all.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between Injustice 2, Batman, and Green Lanterns, this week's comics have hit a fever pitch of Versions Of Characters That I Like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Did Fall and Rise of Captain Atom end up being worth reading? Just picked up #6 from my LCS and realized that since The Rumored Thing must not have happened (or I'm sure it would have been everywhere), I'm not sure I even want to read them.