Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rotacixe posted:

How is that a useful comparison?
All resources of the country were already being mobilized to counter the Germans. What more could they have done?

What resources, which are not currently mobilized, would you like to see mobilized to counter terrorism, and how exactly would you like to see them utilized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

What resources, which are not currently mobilized, would you like to see mobilized to counter terrorism, and how exactly would you like to see them utilized?

I have no idea. It's just funny that the other side of that coin was firebombing German cities, so it isn't a very good example of a calm and collected measured response.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Meanwhile, in Steve King's district:

https://twitter.com/williampetroski/status/871134463157297158

seems problematic

I'm really, really worried about this.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kaal posted:

Texas would take a generation, but eventually it would be utterly fatal to the Republican Party. Places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire are much easier targets, and there is already plenty of coastal movement in and out of those states. I should probably stop pumping the idea any further, but right now the biggest issue for liberals isn't convincing more people to vote, it's contesting gerrymandering and special representation directly. There were 2,868,691 more votes for Clinton than for Trump, but the election came down to where 83,940 of them lived.

You wouldn't think Michigan would be big on Republicans because they're currently dog loving the poo poo out of everyone there, but then we did have a decade of Granholm before who inherited the growing shitstorm of fail from Engler and had to fight a Republican government, so everyone's minds are probably thinking "That fuckup dem slut"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Night10194 posted:

I strongly suspect this 'gently caress the mayor of london' stuff is because he's a muslim and a leftist. Trump's buddies have probably already told him Mayor Khan 'probably helped with the attack' or someshit.

God, what a loving ghoul Trump is.
Yes he is deliberately misquoting the mayor here.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871345390242627584

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

How do I explain to people that "but the stock market is up!!!" actually doesn't mean poo poo when they use it as a rebuttal to every possible economic concern.
The stock market is the trading of equities, meaning that it roughly reflects the market value of companies. It would be like saying the economy of an apartment complex is doing well because it's property value rose, even though all the residents still work poo poo jobs and won't see any benefit from this. It comes down to understanding what the stock market represents, and even though it might correlate with economic boom busts, its more because during good times people invest and in bad times people move their money to safer investments like bonds. It's more of a symptom than a cause.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/871351090368966656

:cripes:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

PerniciousKnid posted:

How about enact policies to make rust belt cities more attractive to millennials and turn them blue again.

How are you gonna make Detroit look attractive. The place is a goddamned real life Fallout

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Boris Galerkin posted:

In a way companies are already kinda doing this. Boeing has been relocating a lot of their jobs from Washington and California over to the South and/or Texas because those places are giving them better tax cuts and also because those places hate unions.

The problem is you're going to need to do a whole lot better to convince people like engineers to leave their coastal cities like Seattle move to shitholes like Atlanta. You'd have to pay me like twice my hypothetical Seattle salary to get me to even consider wanting to move to Atlanta, and no I don't care that "cost of living in Atlanta is less than Seattle." If I'm earning say 80k in Seattle then I'd need an offer of 160k in Atlanta to move there because you're kind of asking me for a lot and engineers are still in a position where we get to choose and be picky.

That's what big firms already do.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 4, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shitholes like Atlanta what the hell?

ahahaha and this guy is talking like there's a shortage of engineers in atlanta. Yes if only we had a school that produced them. Please save us west coast.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PerniciousKnid posted:

How about enact policies to make rust belt cities more attractive to millennials and turn them blue again.

It's not the cities.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

FizFashizzle posted:

ahahaha and this guy is talking like there's a shortage of engineers in atlanta. Yes if only we had a school that produced them. Please save us west coast.

Funny thing is my father is a civil engineer for AECOM that worked Hartsfeild for the last 13 years and just lost the rebid part because senior engineers have too high of salaries. You know where the company sends him so his current salary was in line with the local market? San Fransico International.

Don't worry West coast. He's already a liberal.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Boris Galerkin posted:

In a way companies are already kinda doing this. Boeing has been relocating a lot of their jobs from Washington and California over to the South and/or Texas because those places are giving them better tax cuts and also because those places hate unions.

The problem is you're going to need to do a whole lot better to convince people like engineers to leave their coastal cities like Seattle move to shitholes like Atlanta. You'd have to pay me like twice my hypothetical Seattle salary to get me to even consider wanting to move to Atlanta, and no I don't care that "cost of living in Atlanta is less than Seattle." If I'm earning say 80k in Seattle then I'd need an offer of 160k in Atlanta to move there because you're kind of asking me for a lot and engineers are still in a position where we get to choose and be picky.

You don't know much about Atlanta do you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FizFashizzle posted:

It's in Georgia, right? Georgia's a shithole, right? :downs:

Now if we're talking Florida...eh, even then, places like Miami are okay.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Night10194 posted:

I strongly suspect this 'gently caress the mayor of london' stuff is because he's a muslim and a leftist. Trump's buddies have probably already told him Mayor Khan 'probably helped with the attack' or someshit.

God, what a loving ghoul Trump is.
"Leftist" doesn't really have much to do with it, the guy might be Labour but he's in the right wing of the party. Unless he took the piss out of Trump a year ago or something, it's pretty much just because he's a Muslim.

Acid Haze posted:

Does it mean anything in the legal sense now that Trump called the Muslim ban a "ban." Though not specifically a "Muslim ban," just a, "ban." Also, "we need the courts to give us back our rights," I assume that means the right to ban Muslims.
I think they've been calling it a travel ban for a while now. Anyway, it's obvious that it's a ban on people from those seven countries - the court cases are based on it being religious discrimination.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I do love the balance that exists itt between the ten or so regulars from Atlanta and people who come in thinking it's like rural Mississippi or something

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well you see I'm an engineer from Seattle, maybe you've heard of Boeing?

why no I've never heard of Lockheed Martin why do you ask?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/871358001541595137

Hey, you know what'd be a great way to show solidarity? Not attacking the Mayor of London.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah I'm sure that's just what Theresa May wants heading into the election.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FizFashizzle posted:

Man, I've only visited Atlanta once, for a conference in 2015, and I could tell the city was pretty cool.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/871358001541595137

Hey, you know what'd be a great way to show solidarity? Not attacking the Mayor of London.
Oh please oh please oh please. Trump is basically cancer over here and May's perpetual arse-kissing is pretty unpopular.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

This tweet says something different than he thinks it does.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pollyanna posted:

It's in Georgia, right? Georgia's a shithole, right? :downs:

Now if we're talking Florida...eh, even then, places like Miami are okay.

atlanta's a pulsating herpes pustule growing on one of america's assiest states

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

I do love the balance that exists itt between the ten or so regulars from Atlanta and people who come in thinking it's like rural Mississippi or something

Think what it must feel like as a Texan. People talk a lot of poo poo about complicated political climates. Coastal liberals are pretty bad about stereotyping people from the 'wrong' region.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Night10194 posted:

Man, I've only visited Atlanta once, for a conference in 2015, and I could tell the city was pretty cool.

On the other hand, 100% of my cars in Atlanta have been stolen. (NOTE TO THIEVES: I LEAVE SPARE KEYS IN THE CAR. PLEASE DO NOT TEAR MY CAR UP NEXT TIME YOU NEED IT)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol at atlanta turning into armageddon from half an inch of snow.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
is biggie going to have to die again before we heal this east coast/west coast feud

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This being seriously discussed is worrying

https://twitter.com/Claire_Phipps/status/871251124149407744

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sorry, Atlanta is still a poo poo oven and sketchy as hell at night.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Seattle has a poop smell constantly. Atlanta doesn't.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Deadulus posted:

That's called the ocean.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deadulus posted:

Yeah, there's just this burnt smell that won't go away.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Pollyanna posted:

I'm really, really worried about this.

Take heart that she was a terrible candidate who already lost to King by 20 points last year. Maybe someone who can actually be competitive now will take her place.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Deadulus posted:

Oh is it blowing up from Tacoma?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I don't know what it is. Ocean or a bad sewage system, but when I was in Seattle I was struck by how bad the city smelled. That was mainly downtown though.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Deadulus posted:

I don't know what it is. Ocean or a bad sewage system, but when I was in Seattle I was struck by how bad the city smelled. That was mainly downtown though.

That's just how west coast liberals smell :smug:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Night10194 posted:

I had a lot of friends go to Georgia Tech from Northeast liberal bastions and they all uniformly hated it. Two are 30 years old and living with their parents just to stay in expensive blue cities.

Personally, I thought it was bad because of the weather and its public transportation is cancer. The downtown area had a depressing 70s architecture feel and when I was shown the "nice part" by locals it was a boulevard with no sidewalks and mostly upscale astroturfed restaurants and high end stores. That, and suburbs, acres and acres of suburbs.

Personally, small-town wise I have enjoyed my time in Pittsburg, hell Philly isn't too bad either. A lot of charming small towns in the mountain west too. Butte, Flagstaff, etc. At least there if you have a car commute times are very short.

Austin was nice too, but trash public transportation. Heard good things about San Antonio too.

But Atlanta is everything wrong with Sun Belt urban planning (like Houston or Dallas).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol at atlanta turning into armageddon from half an inch of snow.

I'm from Alaska and I lived in Atlanta during both major snows. That half an inch of snow turned into almost an inch of ice the instant it hit the road. This is around noon, in a city with almost no flat roads, no equipment (because it had never been needed before), and where no cars (or car shops) carried chains or studs. The hills made it literally impossible to drive and extremely dangerous to even walk. It was by far the worst road conditions I've ever seen, and the only thing that could have prevented it would have been heavy pre-snow salting (and gently caress salt) and/or if everyone had chains, both of which are now available.

Atlanta's a great city - it's on my short list for the next time we're looking for positions.

E: You definitely need to know the right areas to be at night, but that's every city. Public transportation and walk ability needs major upgrades, but the bike paths that have been built and slowly connected are very nice.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's just how west coast liberals smell :smug:

For real it's all the yogurt and vegan diets :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Blindeye posted:

I had a lot of friends go to Georgia Tech from Northeast liberal bastions and they all uniformly hated it. Two are 30 years old and living with their parents just to stay in expensive blue cities.

Personally, I thought it was bad because of the weather and its public transportation is cancer. The downtown area had a depressing 70s architecture feel and when I was shown the "nice part" by locals it was a boulevard with no sidewalks and mostly upscale astroturfed restaurants and high end stores. That, and suburbs, acres and acres of suburbs.

Personally, small-town wise I have enjoyed my time in Pittsburg, hell Philly isn't too bad either. A lot of charming small towns in the mountain west too. Butte, Flagstaff, etc. At least there if you have a car commute times are very short.

Austin was nice too, but trash public transportation. Heard good things about San Antonio too.

But Atlanta is everything wrong with Sun Belt urban planning (like Houston or Dallas).

It's commute is definitely one of the worst. When I lived there it was over an hour drive to work. The only one worse I have experienced is the D.C. commute.

• Locked thread