Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pneub posted:

Just got back from the movie and he wasn't actually all that cut in that shot, just squarely in buff-dad territory. I'm leaning more towards them old-ing his face up a bit in the 1918 scenes.

Nah, he's on the latest season of Fargo and he is scrawny as hell on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, Jon Pertwee didn't like technobabble so he asked a scriptwriter to come up with a stock phrase he could rattle off as needed. However, it didn't actually see that much use - it's used maybe two or three times in earnest then it's an in-joke every time after that.

Maybe the writers secretly thought it was funny, but you'd never know that from watching every one of the million or so times Pertwee says it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, he's on the latest season of Fargo and he is scrawny as hell on that.

Im still sticking with "56yo. they made do push-ups for a couple months" until I can see a good screen cap.

E: on topic, those villagers were a little too cheerful about her exploding a 600yo. church to take out one sniper (note: read thread title).

Pneub has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jun 4, 2017

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Pneub posted:

E: on topic, those villagers were a little too cheerful about her exploding a 600yo. church to take out one sniper (note: read thread title).

It was that phallic structure or the brewery and Belgians gonna pick beer over blessings any day

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I call bullshit on The Purge: Anarchy.

These is no way there would still be any black people alive after multiple years of Purges.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also there are somehow still poor people? as if they wouldn't be wiped out during Purge #1.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Also there are somehow still poor people? as if they wouldn't be wiped out during Purge #1.

Killing the working poor wrecks the economy, so the next rung up becomes the working poor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The poor would be hunted in a sustainable manner, of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Justic League is stupid because superhero movies are all about punching so everybody will end up having superman level strength so they can participate in the big brawl.

The entire concept of the Justice League is stupid. Most of them are completely redundant: Batman does the thinking, Superman does the hitting, and if they ever need someone to do both on the side Martian Manhunter is around.

It's highlighted on a different level in the old comic series The Authority, which is a partial riff on the JLA. There even the Superman-analogue looks slightly pointless when his teammates include a man who can warp reality with a thought and a woman who essentially caused every major event of the 20th century just by existing. But on the same team you have a woman whose power is ... to fly pretty fast. Now, in The Authority the writers managed to make Swift useful by making her the pilot of the team's sentient spaceship, but Justice League never does. There's no reason why Aquaman should ever show up and nobody says "Oh, hi Arthur, this mission isn't in the ocean so we don't need you."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Personally I find stuff like Superman having robots at the fortress of solitude and Batman being part of a team that fights aliens stupid, but I'm mainly familiar with the movies and not the comics.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Personally I find stuff like Superman having robots at the fortress of solitude and Batman being part of a team that fights aliens stupid, but I'm mainly familiar with the movies and not the comics.
The baffling thing, if you read comic books, is that even back in the 1940s the authors realized this and when they were putting together the first Justice League style team book they had Superman and Batman as 'Honorary Members' who didn't actually appear in the comics that often and weren't part of the team's normal missions (which, at the time, mostly involved beating up spies and Nazis and such).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

The baffling thing, if you read comic books, is that even back in the 1940s the authors realized this and when they were putting together the first Justice League style team book they had Superman and Batman as 'Honorary Members' who didn't actually appear in the comics that often and weren't part of the team's normal missions (which, at the time, mostly involved beating up spies and Nazis and such).

And originally (when it was the Justice Society in the 1940s, before the Justice League was created) Wonder Woman was only a member as the team secretary. :v:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Wheat Loaf posted:

And originally (when it was the Justice Society in the 1940s, before the Justice League was created) Wonder Woman was only a member as the team secretary. :v:
As it should be. :smugdon:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
WW I like that Ares was a scrawny dude. He wasn't a bully or a warmonger. He was the guy egging the bully on, a catalyst but far enough removed that he could say, "Hey I just gave them the idea, I didn't make them do it." I mean, he's lying to himself, but it was a more interesting take than buff warlord chewing scenery.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Aleph Null posted:

WW I like that Ares was a scrawny dude. He wasn't a bully or a warmonger. He was the guy egging the bully on, a catalyst but far enough removed that he could say, "Hey I just gave them the idea, I didn't make them do it." I mean, he's lying to himself, but it was a more interesting take than buff warlord chewing scenery.

Not to mention that it was a great political statement to make him one of the bureaucrats considering they were by far the most dangerous people during WWI.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's my IIMM of Wonder Woman: the villain resorts to an old fistfight ending trope that is endemic to most superhero movies. If Ares just stayed a behind-the-scenes villain it would have given him the opportunity to show up in future movies.

TBH it's my only gripe of Wonder Woman: it's stuck in the genre of the modern superhero movie so time-worn tropes took away from what I considered a pretty fun movie otherwise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

That's my IIMM of Wonder Woman: the villain resorts to an old fistfight ending trope that is endemic to most superhero movies. If Ares just stayed a behind-the-scenes villain it would have given him the opportunity to show up in future movies.

TBH it's my only gripe of Wonder Woman: it's stuck in the genre of the modern superhero movie so time-worn tropes took away from what I considered a pretty fun movie otherwise.

There was a similarly annoying thing about the recent season finale for The Flash. It turned out that the main villain for the season was an evil future time duplicate of Barry Allen. So after they foil his big plan Barry decides that instead of just up and defeating him they would try and redeem him.

Except it all falls apart and just turns into a regular superhero battle where the bad guy ends up dying.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching John Wick for the first time and this dog better be okay

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I'm watching John Wick for the first time and this dog better be okay

Hoo boy, I...uh...

:sweatdrop:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NO A TINY GRAVE! KILL THEM ALL NOW

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

John Wick has one of the most understandable excuses for a revenge rampage of any character in film history.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fil5000 posted:

John Wick has one of the most understandable excuses for a revenge rampage of any character in film history.

Someone needs to edit out all the Secret Assassin Society background and make John Wick a dude who became scarily good at killing because people murdered his dog.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone needs to edit out all the Secret Assassin Society background and make John Wick a dude who became scarily good at killing because people murdered his dog.

I dunno, then you wouldn't have Russian boss man yelling at John Leguizamo until he finds out who his son hosed with and just going "Oh." and hanging up. I like the thoroughly palpable sense of how hosed he knows his son is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is still mad at me for not telling her why he kills so many people over a dog.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

This is the entire plot summary of the film.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It rules really heard so far the only IIMM is when Iosef is fleeing through the night club and even after he's with his men he's still holding his towel around his waist. He's running for his life and he has swim shorts on.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

you may die posted:

Daredevil has good villains but he's relegated to the Netflix League

Daredevil's villains suck so badly he had to STEAL SPIDER-MAN VILLAINS because they were so horrible. Outside of the Hand that is. The Hand is legit cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

So the god of war spent all of modern history egging on the British Empire... okay, that seems reasonable enough.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Just watched Logan and there were an absurd number of mooks who were just standing around pointing their guns (not even shooting), waiting their turn to be sliced up.

Run away you crazy fuckers, all your buddies were just murdered right in front of you by a tiny little girl

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Just watched Logan and there were an absurd number of mooks who were just standing around pointing their guns (not even shooting), waiting their turn to be sliced up.

Run away you crazy fuckers, all your buddies were just murdered right in front of you by a tiny little girl

Yeah, but the reason for that is because after sandy hook, the visual of gunning down a 9 year old is even more hosed up than before, mutant or not. It's worse in Dark Knight Returns, but is totally a minor issue during the forest chase in Logan.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah, but the reason for that is because after sandy hook, the visual of gunning down a 9 year old is even more hosed up than before, mutant or not. It's worse in Dark Knight Returns, but is totally a minor issue during the forest chase in Logan.

Right, but I still wondered why they weren't running away. There's also a few scenes where a mook is just standing around waiting for Logan to finish him off too, and the scene with the minigunner that fires one burst then just sits around waiting to die.

Basically, a lot of the fights felt static and like everyone outside of the current scene was frozen. (I'm not talking about the scene where they are all actually frozen in place, that was pretty cool.

TheBlackVegetable has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jun 4, 2017

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Why do they keep making Spiderman films and not having the villain be Mysterio

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fingerless Gloves posted:

It would be like 90% cgi or greater.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Because it's hard to write a smart villain, and also then you can't have a big punchy fight with him.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Good news for you!

In actual things that annoy me about John Wick, I'd have to say that the treatment of Perkins makes me upset. Since someone is live-watching....
Why does Wick spare her? He's killed countless mooks in the past, and on screen just hours ago. He's been portrayed as a highly methodical killer. Yet this attempted murderer that just broke the rules of the Continental who has has primed for a Wick Brand Headshot(tm) gets to walk? Then, because of that, at least two people die. Harry and Marcus - and hell, you could argue that Perkins and the information she brings is what causes the entire confrontation at the end! Iosef had to die, but Viggo might have lived if Perkins didn't stir poo poo up. Then she gets killed at the end - yay?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Professional courtesy?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Professional courtesy?

More John Wick;

As we learn, the penalty for breaking the rules is death anyway. Why prolong it? I'm just mad I guess because it gets all those cool folks killed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LeJackal posted:

More John Wick;

As we learn, the penalty for breaking the rules is death anyway. Why prolong it? I'm just mad I guess because it gets all those cool folks killed.

Courtesy towards the owner, maybe? I could see how John Wick wants to consult him first before dealing with that problem, or hand it over to him.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Courtesy towards the owner, maybe? I could see how John Wick wants to consult him first before dealing with that problem, or hand it over to him.

That makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

The secret that Marvel and Warner Brothers are hoping nobody realizes is that most superheroes have absolutely awful villains. Batman has an actual functioning roster of interesting enemies who all -- for the most part -- play off the core concept of Batman and reflect the hero in some kind of interesting way. Marvel has done a decent job of masking their terrible rogue's gallery by primarily focusing the movies on the 'Scheming rear end in a top hat' sides of some of their doofier villains (nowhere in Captain America: Civil War, for example, does Zemo accidentally glue his own mask to his face). Superman has a small cast of bad guys who are kinda interesting and a smaller roster of kinda interesting guys who can actually reasonably fight with Superman the way modern cinema seems to want to portray him (sorry Toyman).

Wonder Woman has absolute garbage. Once you take the big step down from Ares, God of War you get into things like Cheetah, Silver Swan and Dr. Psycho (who is basically Professor X as played by scenery chewing Peter Dinklage -- which honestly might be fun but I imagine you'd have a hard time selling him).

Green Lantern is even worse as his most iconic villain is 'Guy With The Exact Same Powers Only A Different Color'. There is a reason Iron Monger isn't anybody's top Iron Man bad guy...

Whoa, people actually know Wonder Woman villains? Because of all the animated stuff, the only one I know is Cheetah (Cheetara? Or is that Thundercats?)