Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Entropy238 posted:

I hate to say it but this is why you shouldn't play janky old games like BG on an iPad/Mobile Device :(

If you're a European consumer the EU's introducing a new mandatory rules relatively soon (next 1 - 2 years) that'll mean if you encounter game breaking bugs the company that sold you the product will be obliged to fix it or give you all your money back.

Better not suggest things like that or you'll be given red text too! :c00lbutt:

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't fault them at all for trying to reach out to a new market but shipping a game like BG without giving users access to the console to fix problems seems crazy to me. Maybe Apple has rules against it or something idk.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
A bit late to the party, but last night I finished SoD and I gotta say I was thoroughly impressed by the end - it's pretty cool having a good aligned antagonist though it was maybe a bit much to go to the 9 hells given what happens later in the series. Challenging fights, interesting items (that weren't too OP) and good characters (it was a bit of surprise when Glint started hitting on me, I just thought we were bros). Good times, gonna take my Dwarven Defender off into BG2 now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Is all of Throne of Bhaal so dark and 'evil'? It seems to have switched entirely from the awesome high fantasy of BG1 and 2 into this nightmarish weird dark fantasy stuff, which isn't really as cool. (Based off less than 2 hours play so far)
yes apart from some utterly cringeworthy comedy skits (not a lie, those happen)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

jBrereton posted:

yes apart from some utterly cringeworthy comedy skits (not a lie, those happen)

*reloads*

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There used to be a Pillars of Eternity thread but I can't find it so I'm asking here. I'm wondering what's the best time to do White Marches Pt 2? My path so far had been Act 1, most of Act 2 and several levels of the big dungeon in my keep, Wgute Marches Pt 1, finish Act 2, and begin Act 3. When I entered Act 3 I opted to scale up enemies.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

There used to be a Pillars of Eternity thread but I can't find it so I'm asking here. I'm wondering what's the best time to do White Marches Pt 2? My path so far had been Act 1, most of Act 2 and several levels of the big dungeon in my keep, Wgute Marches Pt 1, finish Act 2, and begin Act 3. When I entered Act 3 I opted to scale up enemies.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wildtortilla posted:

There's a thread link but basically you go until you get stuck, then come back to the expansion areas at a higher level. Kind of like doing the Paths of Od Nua.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hi just posting to say that inquisitor is absolutely insane at everything, thanks

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So ok in Torment.

Once Annah has her little blow-up with Fall-From-Grace that's pretty much it for any hope of having the two of them in the same party right? Because that's a lovely mechanic to have in a game without a ton of party members

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

hi just posting to say that inquisitor is absolutely insane at everything, thanks

Their effectiveness is reduced somewhat in SCS, as lots of mages will cast spell immunity abjuration or spell immunity divination or both - but against anything else that doesn't do that they're amazing.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm starting Storm of Zehir and it's already annoying in so many little ways. First off, how the hell do you change the order of your party-members? I can live with no formations but I'll be damned if I have to play another minute with my poor tank's portrait under the one of my fragile spell-caster. Even when I boot and rehire them all they seem to join in a random order for some stupid reason.

I'm also struggling mightily with the options menu. First the option to not move the camera to center on a newly selected character just plain refuses to work. I deselect the option just fine, I accept or apply changes or what-have-you, the second I leave the options menu it just turns itself back on like an rear end in a top hat. Definitely the most annoying QoL issue I'm having. Second, for whatever reason the 'rotate camera' hotkeys in character and strategy mode doesn't rotate it at all, only scrolls. I've tried changing the other options like free camera on and off to fix it but no dice. For whatever reason it works perfectly in exploration mode though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think there's a guide on steam that lists the settings to unfuck the interface in NW2. Never played much of Zehir though so I don't know if they changed anything.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ChrisBTY posted:

So ok in Torment.

Once Annah has her little blow-up with Fall-From-Grace that's pretty much it for any hope of having the two of them in the same party right? Because that's a lovely mechanic to have in a game without a ton of party members

I've gone through the game a few times with both of them in the party without any issues

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think there's a guide on steam that lists the settings to unfuck the interface in NW2. Never played much of Zehir though so I don't know if they changed anything.

NWN/NWN2 aren't on Steam, are they? Google certainly hasn't been very useful, among other things it gives about 70% of results for other games even when I put "neverwinter nights 2" in there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

NWN/NWN2 aren't on Steam, are they? Google certainly hasn't been very useful, among other things it gives about 70% of results for other games even when I put "neverwinter nights 2" in there.

NWN2 used to be on steam, but isn't there anymore. All the guides were probably taken down with it

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CainsDescendant posted:

I've gone through the game a few times with both of them in the party without any issues

Yeah, I don't think they can quit the party. I'm not sure anyone but Vhailor can quit outside the Pillar of Skulls.

GorfZaplen posted:

NWN2 used to be on steam, but isn't there anymore. All the guides were probably taken down with it

It's on GOG now IIRC.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

So ok in Torment.

You have to choose the right dialogue option with Annah if I remember that conversation right.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
Neverwinter Nights 2 was on Steam for a few years but it got taken off and now it is exclusively on GOG with slightly more content. D&D games always have crazy mysterious rights issues. A Steam Community Hub still exist though and it's kind of a weird lonely community. https://steamcommunity.com/app/2760/discussions/

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kavak posted:

Yeah, I don't think they can quit the party. I'm not sure anyone but Vhailor can quit outside the Pillar of Skulls.

I want to say that Ignus can freak out and attack the party at some point too but it's been forever since I've played.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sand Dan posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 was on Steam for a few years but it got taken off and now it is exclusively on GOG with slightly more content. D&D games always have crazy mysterious rights issues. A Steam Community Hub still exist though and it's kind of a weird lonely community. https://steamcommunity.com/app/2760/discussions/

Still probably more useful than google.

Looks like I managed to make the center camera option behave somehow (think maybe I had to turn it off in all modes simultaneously for it to work or some poo poo) but the party order continues to weird me out. I can recruit my party one by one and they'll join in the right order all nice and easy...but if I change area or load game, my Cleric who's supposed to be 4th will have mysteriously rocketed up to second instead. I still haven't figured out any other way to change the order of portraits by the way which baffles me given it's always been incredibly easy to do in every other game of this sort I've played (a lot of games). I even removed my UI mod to see if it was loving things up, but nope, no differences without it. Definitely an issue with the character too rather than the slot - no matter the order of my characters, Cleric always moves up to second behind my PC after a load. Weirdest part: game was actually behaving nicely on this for a while after I first started playing and Cleric was staying in 4th, but at some point today this randomly started happening.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

docbeard posted:

I want to say that Ignus can freak out and attack the party at some point too but it's been forever since I've played.

That's right, if dialogue checks go bad.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zane posted:

You have to choose the right dialogue option with Annah if I remember that conversation right.

That conversation involved Annah bitching me out for keeping Fall-From-Grace in the party and then leaving without giving me the chance to rebut. My attempt to re-recruit her involves her bitching because FFG is still in the party giving me only the choice to end to conversation or piss her off to the point that she goes red. Attempting to recruit her again involves promising her I won't deal with FFG again. Maybe I didn't coddle her enough in the previous 6 trillion conversations where she was being a pain in the rear end about something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm starting Storm of Zehir and it's already annoying in so many little ways.
I quite like SoZ in terms of it being the most like DnD with a more creative DM than like any other PC conversion, but yeah it is definitely the campaign that suffers from NWN2 Jankiness the most (why they went back on BG-era good design in terms of having a 'select all' button is still mystifying to me)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The actual gameplay has been pretty fun so far, although gently caress whoever decided that overmap movement shouldn't count every party-member's skills but then also require like a half-dozen skills to work nicely. I at least managed to squeeze both Hide/Move Silently and decent Spot onto one character but I sure don't have room for no Survival so this movement is awfully slow and boring to sit through. I'm not having an issue with party-selection though, whatever function is default keyed to mouse 5 works great to cycle between character and party I find.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

gently caress whoever decided that overmap movement shouldn't count every party-member's skills but then also require like a half-dozen skills to work nicely.

the wizards of the coast employee overseeing the project who demanded true-to-tabletop mechanics

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Somehow I feel like the boring agony of moving slowly on a video game overworld map and browsing your phone while nothing happens for 30 seconds is not true to the tabletop experience

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Somehow I feel like the boring agony of moving slowly on a video game overworld map and browsing your phone while nothing happens for 30 seconds is not true to the tabletop experience

you haven't played 3.5 enough then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly just using those skills is a cut above most 3.5 games, especially the computer ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Appropriately enough for the setting, I've always found a ranger a godsend in Storm. Their skill set comes into play a lot, and there's at least one party tactic you can learn that depends on a ranger.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just noticed that Durlag's got some sick barbells in his gym:

Seems like the Flesh golems have been making use of them.

Leaning them up on the wall like that doesn't seem particularly safe.

edit: I don't see a squat or a bench rack and it looks like 50 kg*2 + 25kg*1 on each side, so it looks like whoever was deadlifting with them was pulling around 270kg (594 lbs). They'd need a strength score of at least 20 for that.

edit 2: Flesh golems only have 19 STR (500 lbs) so they're definitely ego lifting or juicing

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 5, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Just noticed that Durlag's got some sick barbells in his gym:

Seems like the Flesh golems have been making use of them.

Leaning them up on the wall like that doesn't seem particularly safe.

edit: I don't see a squat or a bench rack and it looks like 50 kg*2 + 25kg*1 on each side, so it looks like whoever was deadlifting with them was pulling around 270kg (594 lbs). They'd need a strength score of at least 20 for that.

edit 2: Flesh golems only have 19 STR (500 lbs) so they're definitely ego lifting or juicing

This is why Advanced Dungeons and Dragons is, and will always be, the only role playing game worth playing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Insurrectionist posted:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

That conversation involved Annah bitching me out for keeping Fall-From-Grace in the party and then leaving without giving me the chance to rebut. My attempt to re-recruit her involves her bitching because FFG is still in the party giving me only the choice to end to conversation or piss her off to the point that she goes red. Attempting to recruit her again involves promising her I won't deal with FFG again. Maybe I didn't coddle her enough in the previous 6 trillion conversations where she was being a pain in the rear end about something.
Weird. My memory has always been that Annah will pitch a fit at around the time you pick up FFG as you describe but only through a new dialogue tree from player initiated conversation. I can only assume she has a trigger if you don't do this soon enough. Try talking with her before she has the chance to leave?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have never, ever seen this tree. I think it may be time for another replay.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Might as well bump since I was surprised (don't keep track of game stuff anymore):

GOG has a summer sale going, and besides the BG + infinity stuff, they also have a few older ones with the same perspective and rule set. Great if you don't have an easy time optimizing DOSbox, or if you want simpler installers etc. These are about as close to infinity-engine as we had, before infinity engine was developed. Discounted to well under $5 so they're no-worry impulse buys now.

Dark Sun (series, 1 & 2) is a combat-heavy post apocalyptic desert setting (Athas), with the addition of psionics and some unconventional races.
https://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series

Al Qadim is more of a D&D adventure game in Arabic fantasy setting, but the mechanics are largely the same.
https://www.gog.com/game/alqadim_the_genies_curse

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 7, 2017

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zane posted:

Weird. My memory has always been that Annah will pitch a fit at around the time you pick up FFG as you describe but only through a new dialogue tree from player initiated conversation. I can only assume she has a trigger if you don't do this soon enough. Try talking with her before she has the chance to leave?

I have the banter accelerator so maybe it's possible that the segment doesn't happen playing in vanilla.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
$6.50 each is a no-brainer for the EE games, right?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

For BG1 and BG2? Definitely, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I jumped on the sale on Beamdog for BG 1 and 2. Waiting for them to send me Steam keys through their support still. Just need to wrap up Act 3 in Pillars and it's finally time to play BG. :)