Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
We all have different lists! Old MST3K episodes I love are Swamp Diamonds, The Giant Gila Monster, and Pod People. I thought this season's best episode was The Beast of Hollow Mountain, but that seems to be down at the bottom of most lists. You guys are just bad at joke-hearing.

I just finished the season last night, after trying to pace myself to just one episode a week. I thought everything about the new season was just fantastic. The new take on the theme song is a bit more energetic. The new cold open bits are a great way to throw in some non-sequitur but are grounded because you know at the end Jonah is going to get sucked up to do the intro, so it adds a bit of anticipation. Even the "station breaks" that break the show up like it is on TV are a perfect time to pause to go get another drink. I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of just beating Ardy to saying "Mooovie in the hole!" The riff pacing can be a little fast at times but not every line is a hit, so the timing doesn't bother me a bit. The whole show just feels very well put together and I am happy to have paid to bring it back. You're welcome, everyone!

I haven't been a fan of the dynamic the mads have had since the Forester and TV's Frank, and the same goes for Kinga and Max. I like the actors, and I don't dislike their scenes, but it is my least favorite part of the show. I think maybe they're both "keyed up" in their performances and there's not enough contrast? Especially because now Jonah has a higher energy level so it isn't dynamic enough as a group. It's just the first season though, and I hope they get a little more time next season to ramp into being the mads instead of trying to evolve and perfect their characters in just two days of shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CapnBry posted:

I think maybe they're both "keyed up" in their performances and there's not enough contrast?

I think they're all trying way too hard.

I still have the last ep to watch, but I haven't been all that impressed with the new season. With the original series, the changes made in the cast and sets were a lot more subtle. This season was a big jolt to the system. They're all a little too self-aware.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

CapnBry posted:

Even the "station breaks" that break the show up like it is on TV are a perfect time to pause to go get another drink.

Pardon my ignorance since I didn't follow the Kickstarter at all, but does anyone know if this was done with the hopes of having a TV network pick up the show either at first or in the future? Or is it just a nod to the original format of the show? Either way it is kind of necessary to break up the movie a little.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm looking at my emails now from the Kickstarter. It was announced on 8/01/16 that they were picked up by Netflix. The email makes it sound like they thought of Network TV, but weren't sure it would work now due to the length of the show and advertisers.

quote:

Why Netflix?
There are a lot of reasons that helped us decide Netflix was the best home for Mystery Science Theater, but I just want to tell you a few of the big ones.
I think one of the biggest reasons I'm glad we're on Netflix is length. See, MST is a lot longer than most television shows, because each episode includes most of a cheesy feature film. Back when we were first making MST3K, that wasn't a problem. In fact, it was really an advantage, because on KTMA, The Comedy Channel, Comedy Central and even Sci-Fi, there was a lot of unused airtime to fill up. So, having two-hour episodes was a good thing back then. But these days, broadcast and cable programming is really competitive, and it's a lot harder to keep one show on for two hours every week.
When we started talking to all of the different networks in December and January, there was a lot of enthusiasm about the show, but I think we figured out pretty fast that it would be best for MST3K to live on a digital platform. That way, no one would be worried about cutting the episodes in half or finding enough advertisers. Plus, the digital platforms are a little more comfortable with shows that are kind of weird, you know? Like, you don't have to be able to fit into quite as neat a box. That's good for us too.
Anyway, once we realized that Mystery Science Theater would work really well on a digital network, Netflix seemed like the best choice. They're kind of the 800-pound-gorilla in this space, and they've done a great job helping bring back some other cancelled shows. Also, I've been using Netflix for the past four or five years, and I think it’s great from a user perspective. And, even more important, lots of people already have Netflix – they're in over 80 million homes worldwide – which means that this gives us a really great chance for more people to discover our little show. And if more people start watching, it gives us a better chance of being renewed for more new seasons, which was always the goal.
Plus, Netflix is available in so many countries around the world, which made it easier to get the new episodes into a lot of those "English-speaking territories" at the same time, instead of trying to find a different network for each country. And you know, a lot of you wrote in over the last six months to tell us that you thought Netflix was the best new home for MST3K, so I felt pretty good about that, too.
And listen, I know there are probably still more questions about how this will all work, and what it will mean for the show. We’re still working through some of those details with Netflix, but as soon as I know more, I’ll tell you. For now, I just wanna say this again: I think this is a really, really good thing for us. I think Netflix will be a great place for Mystery Science Theater, and if they see enough people are watching the new episodes, I think it's really likely we'll be able to make more new seasons. So, I'm really happy about this, and I hope you are too.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

Pardon my ignorance since I didn't follow the Kickstarter at all, but does anyone know if this was done with the hopes of having a TV network pick up the show either at first or in the future? Or is it just a nod to the original format of the show? Either way it is kind of necessary to break up the movie a little.

If memory serves, Joel has said they were added for aesthetic reasons (to keep the season in line with the old ones structurally and to have one more non-movie component to have fun with) and to offer people a break.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I found them jarring at first, but after a while they kind of grew on me. One thing I hope they return to in Season 2 is alternating between movie and commercial sign for host segments. It's hard to say for certain, but I felt like opening and closing them with the tunnel sequences may have affected the pacing a little.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I have way too much love for The Girl in Gold Boots. It was nice to see a sci-fi channel era episode that wasn't a sci fi movie. The fact that it was so poorly made is just a bonus.

"There goes-"
"You can say that a-!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Everybody do the wounded turkey!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SolarFire2 posted:

I have way too much love for The Girl in Gold Boots. It was nice to see a sci-fi channel era episode that wasn't a sci fi movie. The fact that it was so poorly made is just a bonus.

"There goes-"
"You can say that a-!"

"I'm Back!"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tried to like the new MST3k but its just so bad. I rewatched a few old episodes to remind myself how it was too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I watched the new MST3K and realised its new and loved it. Loved old mst3k.
I guess we need to tell people

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Pop songs count as rifts now? Maybe they will run out in a few seasons.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Everybody do the wounded turkey!

Honey! Way to play the harmonica with your rear end!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Tried to like the new MST3k but its just so bad. I rewatched a few old episodes to remind myself how it was too.

What exactly is bad about it? What didn't you enjoy?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tenzarin posted:

Pop songs count as rifts now? Maybe they will run out in a few seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsbcZpH2VI

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been watching a lot of the old and new and the content of the riffs doesn't seem different to me, except that obviously the references are more up to date. I still feel like the delivery is a bit rushed sometimes, but that's a tiny nitpick. And I've seen people make the same argument that the Mike era was too rapidfire.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Burkion posted:

What exactly is bad about it? What didn't you enjoy?

Pop songs and the acts they did like pushing up the rocket, are prob the things I disliked the most.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Pop songs and the acts they did like pushing up the rocket, are prob the things I disliked the most.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "pushing up the rocket"

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

Pretty sure this is re: Tom Servo's silhouette flying up to interact with the movie.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Breadallelogram posted:

They're referring to the gag in The Time Travelers where Servo floats in front of the screen and acts like he's pushing up the rocket when it's being raised.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Breadallelogram posted:

The forced perspective/interactive stuff, specifically in the Time Travelers. Like when they had Giant Tom Servo in that one Mike episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which is stuff that was present since around season 1. Sight gags were a particular favorite of Joel.

And using contemporary pop songs as jokes has always been a mainstay. Or do we need to talk about THE OWNER OF A LONELY HEART again?

Also you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4611CDqlBs

That happened

If this happened again, you'd bitch about them ripping off old memes

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The flying Tom gags feel overworked, and the singing is way less funny when they all sing at the same time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sure they used to sing songs, but not in every episode. Watch the new episodes, everyone has some pop song as a rift. The only good thing is they will run out of songs at one point and have to start doing the improv songs about the movies what were way better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Tenzarin posted:

Sure they used to sing songs, but not in every episode. Watch the new episodes, everyone has some pop song as a rift. The only good thing is they will run out of songs at one point and have to start doing the improv songs about the movies what were way better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

like in starcrash when they came up with a song about the UFO in the theater?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The riffs being separately recorded and stitched together really hurts the new season.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think pop songs "run out".

They definitely do a few improv songs if that's what you're looking for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The riffs being separately recorded and stitched together really hurts the new season.

Everything about the new season is rushed and half-assed and it shows.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Pretty weak backlash itt

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jose Oquendo posted:

Everything about the new season is rushed and half-assed and it shows.

Rushed is correct; almost all of the common criticisms I've seen are directly related to the fact that the entire season had to be shot in two weeks.

"Half-assed" is pretty disingenuous, though; the same as complaints of "trying too hard". Both are empty criticisms that boil down to "I don't like it."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
This season is reminiscent of MST3k Season 2 in my view. That's the season where they were starting to really find their footing. It also had plenty of dud riffs and bad sketches, too. Along with stuff like Kevin-as-Servo laughing at the end of nearly every riff or joke no matter what. So in that regard, it's kind of unfair to expect this season (with several performers and writers who'd never done the whole movie-riffing thing before) to be on par with Season 4 or 5 or 8 or whatever in terms of quality.

Also I think they should be cut a little slack given that the bulk of the new season was recorded in less than a month, too. In the old days they could basically spend a week per episode. They didn't have the luxury of time to do that in this case.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Paper Kaiju posted:

"Half-assed" is pretty disingenuous, though; the same as complaints of "trying too hard".

:ironicat:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Paper Kaiju posted:

"Half-assed" is pretty disingenuous, though; the same as complaints of "trying too hard". Both are empty criticisms that boil down to "I don't like it."

Actually, I liked it, but it's not on the same level as the original.

And they were all trying too hard.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 4, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did this thread need trolls?

I'm excited for the mystery movie live

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

They're both things said by people trying to identify an objective reason for their dislikes, but who lack enough understanding of what their criticizing to offer anything useful. They're plenty of things to criticize the new season about, but I keep seeing people say 'half-assed' and 'too hard' and stopping there, as if they actually meant something, and it bugs that crap out of me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, I liked, but it's not on the same level as the original.

I never even insinuated that it was, and I'm not sure what this response has to do with my complaint of lazy criticism.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Paper Kaiju posted:

They're both things said by people trying to identify an objective reason for their dislikes, but who lack enough understanding of what their criticizing to offer anything useful. They're plenty of things to criticize the new season about, but I keep seeing people say 'half-assed' and 'too hard' and stopping there, as if they actually meant something, and it bugs that crap out of me.

Sorry that we are not criticizing the show to a detail fine enough for you.

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also I think they should be cut a little slack given that the bulk of the new season was recorded in less than a month, too. In the old days they could basically spend a week per episode. They didn't have the luxury of time to do that in this case.

Maybe they shouldn't have done this new season then? It's pretty lovely to take in all that money and then rush out a mediocre product because of time constraints. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have done this new season then? It's pretty lovely to take in all that money and then rush out a mediocre product because of time constraints. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Oh man the entertainment industry oh man.
You do the best you can with what you can

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yo where's the renewal, Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh man the entertainment industry oh man.
You do the best you can with what you can

I really wonder if they had to pay to license all the pop songs they sang. Does having a car on the screen warrant fair use of lowrider?