Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

well why not posted:

I'd pay whatever they wanted for a glossy plastic blue / white Mac Pro with 2018 specs.

I'd rather have the Mirrored Drive Doors version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In the era of RGB, what could be better than gloss plastic and mirror finish?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My drat iMac 5K at work keeps shutting down randomly. Can't wait to fight with the Genius Bar when they say nothing is wrong.

Fresh install, reset PRAM, reset SMC, tried safe mode, it shuts down randomly every time. Tried diagnostics and the machine passes every time. Did some googling and apparently its a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

My drat iMac 5K at work keeps shutting down randomly. Can't wait to fight with the Genius Bar when they say nothing is wrong.

Fresh install, reset PRAM, reset SMC, tried safe mode, it shuts down randomly every time. Tried diagnostics and the machine passes every time. Did some googling and apparently its a thing.

Call AppleCare and ask them how to submit capture data logs so they can let you know what's causing it. Very simple.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Call AppleCare and ask them how to submit capture data logs so they can let you know what's causing it. Very simple.

Too late, off to DA FRUIT STAND

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Everything old is new again (c.f. watercooled PowerMac G5).

I didn't know they'd tried it before :heh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

well why not posted:

I'd pay whatever they wanted for a glossy plastic blue / white Mac Pro with 2018 specs.

Absolutely this.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
please no more plastic laptops from apple thank you and buy an HP

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Absolutely this.

Too easy to open and upgrade.

I kind of regret getting rid of mine. I always wanted to hollow out the guts and put another computer in there.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Or use the pinnacle of Apple desktop workstation design, the G4 Quicksilver chassis.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Weedle posted:

Definitely not in the next one, and probably not in the one after that either; they run so hot that Intel says you probably shouldn't run them without water cooling.

I looked up the tech specs and it's 140W TDP, which is the same as a lot of previous Intel chips that have been fine when air cooled.

Granted, if you're doing the 1337 overclock every day d00ds thing you wouldn't dare without a water cooler since power skyrockets beyond the TDP rating when you start boosting voltage much, but 140W TDP on stock settings is doable with air cooling. Especially if done cheesegrater Mac Pro style.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SourKraut posted:

Or use the pinnacle of Apple desktop workstation design, the G4 Quicksilver chassis.

The cheesegrater is the best chassis, it just needed the handles rounded off.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

kefkafloyd posted:

The cheesegrater is the best chassis, it just needed the handles rounded off.

And a bit of weight reduction, thing is hilariously heavy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Matt Zerella posted:

Smells like bad RAM to me, could also be defective logic board or bad video card / badly heatsinked video chip. Apples video card diagnostic should sort it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Matt Zerella posted:

This happened to my 2012 27" iMac. They replaced the power supply.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

And a bit of weight reduction, thing is hilariously heavy.

heavy? do you mean 'premium'? ??

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it felt extra premium on my toes and spine

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I legit hosed up my wrist from lugging my (plastic) G4 from college to home one summer break. Had to get a splint because I picked it up too fast, and strained it. Those things were heavy before they were metal.

EDIT: Mine was 31 pounds according to EveryMac.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Other than the handles the plastic was just cosmetic; those things were steel sheetmetal underneath and it was heavy gauge stuff iirc.

Still lighter than G5 and onwards, both because they were minitower size systems and the cheese grater case makes up for aluminum being lightweight by using 1/8" thick slabs of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Mac Pro can easily get over 50 lbs. I know this because that makes it expensive to fly with.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
After running a custom 3 radiator water loop system in a corsair 900D for a few years my Mac Pro is light as gently caress. But the handles really do need to be chamfered.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I have no idea how heavy my desktop is because it hasn't moved in two years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Take a look at this guy who think he's too cool to LAN.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Recently I have been traveling more with my mid-2009 15 inch MBP. Whenever I travel I just take my one large backpack and try to efficiently pack everything I need so sometimes my bag is pretty full and puts pressure on my laptop. Sometimes when I open my laptop there's a circle in the middle of the screen from the pressure. Do you guys I suggest I buy one of those hard plastic cases for my laptop?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
a microfibre cloth laid down on the keyboard to spread the pressure over a wider area would probably do the trick as well as prevent the keyboard from being permanently imprinted in your screen

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'd also look into getting a bag that has a padded compartment specifically for the laptop. That can help prevent pressure issues. They aren't super cheap, but most of them will also work with different sized laptops so you don't need to get a new bag every time you get a new computer.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd also look into getting a bag that has a padded compartment specifically for the laptop. That can help prevent pressure issues. They aren't super cheap, but most of them will also work with different sized laptops so you don't need to get a new bag every time you get a new computer.

I do have a padded laptop compartment but since my bag is usually full it still puts some pressure on my laptop.... so with that I'm thinking maybe a hard case is the best option?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I do have a padded laptop compartment but since my bag is usually full it still puts some pressure on my laptop.... so with that I'm thinking maybe a hard case is the best option?

Would a hard case give it enough rigidity? Those things still flex across the middle if you put pressure on them.

I think the larger issue is that laptops - case or no case - really don't like having pressure applied directly to the middle of them. Personally I'd look more at the packing situation and see if I could alleviate pressure that way first.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Recently I have been traveling more with my mid-2009 15 inch MBP. Whenever I travel I just take my one large backpack and try to efficiently pack everything I need so sometimes my bag is pretty full and puts pressure on my laptop. Sometimes when I open my laptop there's a circle in the middle of the screen from the pressure. Do you guys I suggest I buy one of those hard plastic cases for my laptop?

LCD fracture or the board touching the top case could cause a short. Bad idea

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know we used to have a classic Mac thread but I can't find it. I dug out a Blueberry iMac G3/400 slot-loader from a recycle pile. It's got 512MB of RAM, an ATI 3D accelerator, and OS 9.1 installed. The internet says they can run all the way up to Tiger. How well will a G3 run 10.4? I want to play Escape Velocity, dammit.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 3, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know we used to have a classic Mac thread but I can't find it. I dug out a Blueberry iMac G3/400 slot-loader from a recycle pile. It's got 512MB of RAM, an ATI 3D accelerator, and OS 9.1 installed. The internet says they can run all the way up to Tiger. How well will a G3 run 10.4? I want to play Escape Velocity, dammit.

Poorly, I'd expect. But weren't all the EV games classic/carbon apps that would run on 9.1 anyways?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Poorly, I'd expect. But weren't all the EV games classic/carbon apps that would run on 9.1 anyways?

Yup. Or you could just run Nova with the classic plugins on a modern intel mac, but I understand how that isn't quite the same.

You can literally play the original EV on anything from a performa to a current mac.

eames
May 9, 2009

Foxconn insider leaking some juicy roadmap info on reddit. Could be fake but it looks fairly legit to me. As always... :salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6ezhwm/iama_foxconn_insider_with_information_on_next_12/

e: somebody compiled all the info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6f21c7/everything_ufoxconninsider_reported_today/

eames fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 3, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BobHoward posted:

Well, yeah. The slot-loading DVD doesn't work so I can't install OS X anyway without a Firewire DVD drive.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

eames posted:

Foxconn insider leaking some juicy roadmap info on reddit. Could be fake but it looks fairly legit to me. As always... :salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6ezhwm/iama_foxconn_insider_with_information_on_next_12/

e: somebody compiled all the info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6f21c7/everything_ufoxconninsider_reported_today/

Oh boy I can't wait for front facing protruding camera chat

eames
May 9, 2009

"Yes, MagSafe will return. It's being tested now so 12-18 months." :holy:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Do you think that means it will work with the existing MacBook Pros or for whatever is released then?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It would be cool if they could make a USB-C/Thunderbolt MagSafe. Not sure how it would work, maybe bring the pins far up on the female end so you don't need a long sheath and the cable could just pop out. But still backwards compatible with regular USB-C cables.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A universal USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt 3 MagSafe would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pivo posted:

It would be cool if they could make a USB-C/Thunderbolt MagSafe. Not sure how it would work, maybe bring the pins far up on the female end so you don't need a long sheath and the cable could just pop out. But still backwards compatible with regular USB-C cables.

There's basically a third party version of this already, but it has a bunch of lovely reviews.