Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tanners posted:

Cooking baked beets was immensely profitable once you're over the hump of getting cooking and gardening up. It's a little tedious but I prefer it to surveying

I'll have to direct my efforts there then. Surveying was fun but I sprint at default speed compared to seemingly everyone else so it's kinda disheartening knowing I could potentially hit spots 3x faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
is this still free to play?

if I play this game, will I have fun?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

yes and you won't know until you try

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

if I play this game, will I have fun?

Best moment to play this game is between good games, when you don't have anything else to play but you still want to play something. Let this tiny game entertain you when you are open minded and with low expectations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Work orders are a really good way to bring in extra cash and give me a goal to knock out whenever I log in. Between the cooking and leather working orders I can make a quick 30k in a sitting. More if I get a really nice complicated order. Naturally it takes some work to get to that point but that's to be expected. There is nothing faster and easier than surveying though and since leather working counts on it for gems you can't go wrong with it too start out. Once you get your gardening up I see people buying cotton stacks for good coin too.

futile
May 18, 2009
It had been years since I played this so I made a new character recently to re-experience the game. Also I had a spider juice laying around on my main character so I passed it to my new character. I knew it would be difficult, but good lord this is masochistic.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. Spider was pretty rough. It takes a while to ramp up damage but the DPS gets to be pretty nasty. I played it like a rogue with AH so my pet would tank for me. Worked pretty well.

Not having a lot of vendor/banking options was daunting though.

futile
May 18, 2009
Yeah I'm talking about the lack of vendor/banking/having money more than anything else. The damage is not the best early, but it's a hell of a lot better than archery was.

futile
May 18, 2009
I gave up on the spider dream. It was just too annoying on a fresh character not having access to the NPCs. He is already missed. RIP

Breadbox
Nov 8, 2007

I support party wipes.
I started playing this a week ago or something and I don't know why but I'm enjoying playing this and goofing around exploring.

ign Breadbox so I can get an invite to this dead guild, so what

My greatest accomplishment in this game so far is getting someone banned for repeatedly being homophobic while wandering the starter island. Good stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
2 more levels until level 20 cooking. Then it's profit, I hope.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

This game had me at armored cows, being free is just gravy.

Been looking for a new MMO. Will download after work. Hopefully people still play this thing.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There's a lively community. You won't find any place deserted.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I don't think you can add people as friends/to a guild if you aren't physically near them :smith:

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

buglord posted:

I don't think you can add people as friends/to a guild if you aren't physically near them :smith:

You just have be in the same zone I think. The commands /friend playername and /guild invite playername should work if, say, you're both somewhere in Serbule.

futile
May 18, 2009
Do the werewolves howl on their own or are the players doing it manually with an emote or something? There are people who sit at the well howling for hours upon hours. Gets annoying after while

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

futile posted:

Do the werewolves howl on their own or are the players doing it manually with an emote or something? There are people who sit at the well howling for hours upon hours. Gets annoying after while

They use the ability called Howl Mode because it's like human singing/dancing, gives other werewolves a stacking regen buff

lmao

yeah full moon is really loud

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

who let the dogs out?

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
Something real good

https://twitter.com/GorgonMMO/status/868790297987354625

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good
Where do the goons hangout in this

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

Where do the goons hangout in this

serb

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Has there been any dev chatter on the topic of housing since the initial "you'll be able to marry NPCs and have your waifu move in with you" stuff? I haven't been much in the mood for grinding combat lately, and there's really nothing to turn to but Everquest 2 and Wildstar for house decorating antics. EQ2 is still a fun way to waste a weekend here and there, but I miss playing my giant spider in this ridiculous game.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Wait can I bang important quest related and lock them up in my house so that filthy pubbie scum can't finish their quests?

Breadbox
Nov 8, 2007

I support party wipes.
Still having fun messing about with everything. Being a deer as a fairly new player was pretty rough! I should've just begged in global for a free undeer juice but that isn't any fun.

Btw, if someone is on that can invite and sees me on my ign is Breadbox. I was considering joining whoever had the funnest name. Dirty Old Men is in the running. Then I remembered we had a dead guild!

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

"You have leveled up dying"

Okay, I'll keep playing, you got me.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SweetBro posted:

Wait can I bang important quest related and lock them up in my house so that filthy pubbie scum can't finish their quests?

IIRC it's planned to create an instance of the NPC in your house, so no. Also your spouse can be married to hundreds of other people, I guess they're into that in Serbule.

EDIT: Basically if you have any question about Project Gorgon that amounts to "can I ruin other people's fun in this way" you can pretty safely assume the answer is no. The dev doesn't seem to be into that kind of thing.

Also found a little more housing info if anyone else was interested: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?286-Gameplan-Old-Forum-Discussion

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 30, 2017

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

This game is a lot like that show Lost. I have no idea what is going on and everyone is stuck on an island. I'm waiting to find some secret tunnel to the DHARMA Initiative.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am kind of playing this game, for now.

ign Freakmancer, if you see me in serbia i'd appreciate a guild invite.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Why didn't you guys tell me this game was going to be such a ball-buster??

There seems to be this huge gap between favor-quests, where your initial favors are fairly easy/soloable/cheap, but then you're stuck with something you can't do unless you have a group or are much higher skilled. Same goes with what seems like the main quest, started out soloable, then suddenly I'm faced with two definitely not soloable tasks. I managed to complete one of them by putting it off until I was stronger and managed to make it to the boss chamber, where I charged through and examined the body before being splatted. The other one appears to be even harder!

At the very least, I'm making something resembling money, but I seem to be spending it about as fast as I can make it.

It's clunky, progress is slow, and there are quite a few regressive design decisions I'm not cool with. The only thing keeping me on board is the quirky writing/setting and that it's still free to play.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Freakazoid_ posted:

There seems to be this huge gap between favor-quests, where your initial favors are fairly easy/soloable/cheap, but then you're stuck with something you can't do unless you have a group or are much higher skilled. Same goes with what seems like the main quest, started out soloable, then suddenly I'm faced with two definitely not soloable tasks. I managed to complete one of them by putting it off until I was stronger and managed to make it to the boss chamber, where I charged through and examined the body before being splatted. The other one appears to be even harder!

One thing I've found is for early favor quests is the ones that require items can often be easily/cheaply acquired without actually doing the task yourself. I had something of a revelatory moment when I realized that I don't have to go fight bands of ravenous elf-eating tigers for a rare drop, I can just go look around used sales tabs and find them for 20 councils a pop.

Can't really help with the ones that require you to actually do stuff, though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Explore more and further, get more favor with more NPCs, focus on a few fun combat skills you enjoy, learn a few gathering skills, become rich and famous. The game is pretty group focused with regards to tougher content, but you can do a lot of things as a solo player (I have had to mainly solo and I did the kur tower dungeon with lv50-60 skills for example)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

At the very least, I'm making something resembling money, but I seem to be spending it about as fast as I can make it.

It's clunky, progress is slow, and there are quite a few regressive design decisions I'm not cool with. The only thing keeping me on board is the quirky writing/setting and that it's still free to play.

In a game of this type, I ignore the any "main quest" and just explore around and help ladies in distress. The game opens a lot and you can do everything,but not too fast.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The game doesn't neatly sort quests (or questgivers) by level for you. If you're blasting through all the favor quests of a small group of NPCs and suddenly they get too hard for you to do, they're mid/high-level quests and you should come back later because you're not meant to be able to do that particular quest at that point in time.

Just because you *can* try something (such a quest currently out of your league) doesn't mean you should or that you're meant to try it, but PG won't stop you. Kinda like how the tutorial used to be "HEY NEWBIE HEY YOU FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO DOWN THIS TUNNEL OR FIGHT THIS BOSS YOU WILL BE SORRY I MEAN IT" and then everyone who decided not to listen would be permanently(ish) turned into a cow. :laffo:

But as long as you don't get cursed over this kind of thing the worst that happens is you waste a few minutes and get some Dying xp before realizing "hey I probably can't do this quest now."

EDIT: Anyway questing's not a huge deal. This isn't a "spam quests to reach max level" system. You can just not quest for a while and goof around doing whatever, and you'll be fine.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 5, 2017

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

mushroom_spore posted:

Just because you *can* try something (such a quest currently out of your league) doesn't mean you should or that you're meant to try it, but PG won't stop you. Kinda like how the tutorial used to be "HEY NEWBIE HEY YOU FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO DOWN THIS TUNNEL OR FIGHT THIS BOSS YOU WILL BE SORRY I MEAN IT" and then everyone who decided not to listen would be permanently(ish) turned into a cow. :laffo:

I played this game for about an hour a couple years ago and did exactly that. I just re-downloaded the game and made a new character, is that part of the tutorial replaced with this whole island bit? I do find myself more interested in the game after playing this tutorial but being turned in to a cow was awesome.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

kaempfer0080 posted:

I played this game for about an hour a couple years ago and did exactly that. I just re-downloaded the game and made a new character, is that part of the tutorial replaced with this whole island bit? I do find myself more interested in the game after playing this tutorial but being turned in to a cow was awesome.

There's still a dungeon with a curse at the end of the tutorial, but instead of being turned into a cow it's a Big Head Mode curse. They thought the cow thing was too confusing and punishing for the tutorial itself, but it's still elsewhere in the game.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The devs caved to all the whining from new people who wanted to be uber fire mages or sword lords only to have their class forcibly changed to a cow. A female cow at that. It made sure to point that part out. Oh, and you're a level 1 female cow. Gratz n00b!

If you want to be udderly converted, you now have to do a small quest chain once you reach the mainland.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I started playing this game? and it's pretty fun. The fact that there are always veiny throbbing cocks pointed at me in the vicinity of elves makes me uncomfortable. Some questions:

1. Are death curses somehow random or something? A swarm of spiders murdered me in the serbian crypt and afterwards some skeleton archers humped me through walls. I didn't get any curse in either case?

2. Are there any playstyles/skills I should avoid like plague? Currently I'm just sword&boarding with animal handling. I read AH is poop? But I like the rat. The rat's my only friend but I'm not sure that butt is pulling his own weight.

3. Where do I get instruments so I can make ears bleed playing horrible poo poo in middle of the town?

4. Are there any negative aspects on wearing heavy armor over leather and whathaveyou? Heavy just seems better every way on the tooltip.

e: 5. Do weapons have some hidden damage stats or something? The moldy rotting anal-dipped shitsword I got at the start of tutorial island looks exactly same on tooltip as a "normal" not-anal-dipped sword I can buy from weapons vendor?

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 7, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fewd posted:

1. Are death curses somehow random or something? A swarm of spiders murdered me in the serbian crypt and afterwards some skeleton archers humped me through walls. I didn't get any curse in either case?

Unless it's changed in the last few months, death curses only come from bosses. The ones that give you BWEEOOP BWEEOOP TURN BACK ADVENTURER SKREEE warning signals. You might get random silly poo poo from other deaths but it's always roleplay suggestions like "you have a crippling fear of oranges for the next hour."

Fewd posted:

2. Are there any playstyles/skills I should avoid like plague? Currently I'm just sword&boarding with animal handling. I read AH is poop? But I like the rat. The rat's my only friend but I'm not sure that butt is pulling his own weight.

I experimented with it on an alt and it seemed okay, though we were going through one of those patches at the time when all pet AI kept breaking (especially in Kur). It's worth noting that AH will probably get considerably more involved once they introduce the ability to properly collect/raise/breed/trade pets instead of just whatever default you found in the woods, so if you love that kind of thing I'd especially get leveling now if you're enjoying AH anyway.

Fewd posted:

3. Where do I get instruments so I can make ears bleed playing horrible poo poo in middle of the town?

Easiest is to check used tabs around town or look in the player stall market. I could swear some vendor in Serbule sells one instrument in their default inventory too.

Fewd posted:

4. Are there any negative aspects on wearing heavy armor over leather and whathaveyou? Heavy just seems better every way on the tooltip.

I never got knee-deep into multiple armor craft skills like some folks, but IIRC yeah the dev plans to have (or has already implemented) different qualities for different materials. Even if only for enhancing or whatever.

Fewd posted:

e: 5. Do weapons have some hidden damage stats or something? The moldy rotting anal-dipped shitsword I got at the start of tutorial island looks exactly same on tooltip as a "normal" not-anal-dipped sword I can buy from weapons vendor?

The only "hidden base stat" on weapons is the ability to activate your weapon skills - it's not like you can actually attack with the weapon without using a skill to do it. So what you see is what you get. Swords with enchantments will add those to the relevant skills.

Base versions of gear are sold by vendors just so someone who only decides to try Sword (or whatever) later on can instantly go get the bare minimum to start leveling the skill.

EDIT: Wow that typo completely changed the meaning of that sentence. :v:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 7, 2017

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Marna in Serbule sells lutes. Fairies in Sun Vale can drop the horns that teach the wind instrument skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lighter armor is supposed to give you better/more refresh bonuses. If you're into those, it's worth checking out.