Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

Something something consistency is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Though without Marvel their new Bolas would probably never see any play so maybe that is why they want to keep it...

If they wanted their Bolas to be played maybe they should've made it worth 7 and 3 colours???

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bolas is fine. He is really powerful, but at 7 mana and having 3 colors he isn't nearly broken.

Maybe Grixis will get some good tools and he can be played as a 1 of in control. Grixis control already has the privilege of main deck scarab feast for control mirrors and zombies. Grixis also gets transgressess out of the board to rip other control decks to shreds.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Go control go

god this match is great

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 4, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Handshake Drugs posted:

It was the modern list you posted a little while ago, actually. I just wanted to mess with you. Also, I have no idea who you are IRL. :iiam:

i play skred all the time at modern nights

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Go control go

god this match is great

gently caress me what a timely transgress the mind

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

gently caress me what a timely transgress the mind

Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I agree. Reprint Brainstorm so we'll know what we're drawing.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Hey yall, could be worse, one LGS near me runs $15 drafts Monday and Friday, prize support is 1.5 packs per player, store credit isn't available, and up until about 4 months ago, when a judge came in and reported them, they would regularly run weird awkward pods for uneven turnouts. The store judge almost always drafts, but often is off playing battle tech or Pathfinder with other customers instead of doing pairings for the next round.

I once played in an 11 person draft during Theros.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mcmagic posted:

Technically, plenty of games are decided by random cards off the top of the deck. Marvel just makes it more obvious. :v:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

e: i can't be expected to just KNOW I have a show and tell on top, even though there always is one

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

This or Preordain

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Brainstorm without fetches might not even be played in standard...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

I once played in an 11 person draft during Theros.

To be fair, having 11 people who want to draft is pretty awkward. Splitting into 5 and 6 is bad because 5 person drafts are not great, and leaving it at 11 is bad because 11 person drafts are not great.

The rest of that stuff is pretty unreasonable, though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

why do you do those loving ellipses after every god drat post you make

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

He fought Black Potus for his right to do so and we must respect it

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's bad without shuffle effects. Preordain is too good in almost any environment to the point where the white aggro decks were splashing blue for it in standard. I'd like to see slight of hand or serum visions in standard again. Anticipate is garbage and I hate it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

it is written

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

It's his version of playing mismatching sets and random white borders.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Putting Ulamog or whatever on top of your deck for Marvel. Traverse and Attune are pretty good shufflers. Evolving Wilds is in the format.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'd like to see... serum visions in standard again.

And this is how we know your opinion should be ignored. I don't want to live in a world where Serum Visions is a playable card.

Reprint Opt.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

It's bad without shuffle effects. Preordain is too good in almost any environment to the point where the white aggro decks were splashing blue for it in standard. I'd like to see slight of hand or serum visions in standard again. Anticipate is garbage and I hate it.

Serum Visions is hot garbage and so is Sleight.

Preordain is fine.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Has there been any articles written about this? Do you know the justification for Ruinous Path over Never//Return?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Just a reminder to everyone; you don't actually have to activate your Liliana of the Veil. My opponent decided to discard such hits as Scavenging Ooze, Collective Brutality, Olivia Voldaren, a pile of lands while stuck on 3. All while I was activating Moorland Haunt every turn. I actually stopped trying to kill the Liliana (just leaving her at 1), because they wouldn't stop activating her and it was benefitting me so much more than them.

Also, I've been running Moorland Haunt over Gavony Township in my Bant Spirits deck, it seems like a huge upgrade to me so far. There's been multiple games where it single handedly won me the game, while I never once activated township. I know there's at least one other person here who's been playing the deck, any thoughts?

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Serum Visions is hot garbage and so is Sleight.

Preordain is fine.

Having cards like that playable in standard and banned in Modern seems awkward, and the whole point is giving decks the ability to have a T1 play so you can keep one land one blue source hands, kind of like Atune in green, but I do think it just adds a kind of consistency that other decks can't achieve. I could maybe see it balanced in a world where read the bones was playable again, I miss that card.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually mcmagic was not in fact willing to wager his ellipses in that bet

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Bolas is fine. He is really powerful, but at 7 mana and having 3 colors he isn't nearly broken.

Maybe Grixis will get some good tools and he can be played as a 1 of in control. Grixis control already has the privilege of main deck scarab feast for control mirrors and zombies. Grixis also gets transgressess out of the board to rip other control decks to shreds.

I dunno. He totally locks you out of the game. He seems pretty strong to me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 4, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I thought you could get Never that way but not Return after the ruling?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought you could get Never that way but not Return after the ruling?

You can't get either of them. The CMC of the card is 7 when its not on the stack. (The reason why Cut // Ribbons isn't being played is because its a control deck and you so rarely need reach to win.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 4, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Reference for ruling.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I dunno. He totally locks you out of the game. He seems pretty strong to me.

He is absolutely strong, but properly costed.

As for Cut // Ribbons that card is amazing against B/G. Being able to deal with 4/4 Grim Flayers is key or snakes before they get out of hand.
It is my favorite tech card in Mardu for B/G, because the reach it provides after a couple of Disintegrations wins games. I'm even running one in my Temur Energy board just as a concession to B/G.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/871437903322390533

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/871438252024242176

Wizards L.o.l.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

To bring it back to Ban Marvel Chat, the Top 32 of GP Amsterdam was posted.

62.5% of the 9 through 32nd place decks were Aetherworks Marvel (15 of 24). Overall 50% considering the whole Top 32. I doubt WOTC will call attention to anything but the Top 8.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpams17/9th-32nd-decklists-2017-06-04

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

Actually mcmagic was not in fact willing to wager his ellipses in that bet

In that case gently caress off mcmagic

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

ShadeofBlue posted:

Also, I've been running Moorland Haunt over Gavony Township in my Bant Spirits deck, it seems like a huge upgrade to me so far. There's been multiple games where it single handedly won me the game, while I never once activated township. I know there's at least one other person here who's been playing the deck, any thoughts?

I haven't played the deck but gavony seems better unless your meta is super grindy. Pumping all your little fliers to increase your clock seems better than getting a 1/1 every turn.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

uninverted posted:

I haven't played the deck but gavony seems better unless your meta is super grindy. Pumping all your little fliers to increase your clock seems better than getting a 1/1 every turn.

Gavony is much better against everything except midrange. Moorland Haunt is completely insane against midrange though, where Gavony is like, mediocre to fine against everything else

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Isn't that MtG though? If anything picking one card from the top x cards reduces variance... casting Ulamog for 4 mana & a resource you build around is lame as hell though

e: Okay several people on this page just said the same thing, I agree reprint Brainstorm Preordain

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My gut feeling is that since actually drawing Ulamog is terrible, Marvel increases the variance of the deck. It's like trying to win by milling the opponent's combo cards away. It's just, the energy shell is solid enough to make the deck perform even if the rolls don't line up.

Out of curiousity, when was the last time Standard had deck that could win on turn four, Cat not included?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Also 6 Marvel decks in the Top 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Siivola posted:

My gut feeling is that since actually drawing Ulamog is terrible, Marvel increases the variance of the deck. It's like trying to win by milling the opponent's combo cards away. It's just, the energy shell is solid enough to make the deck perform even if the rolls don't line up.

Out of curiousity, when was the last time Standard had deck that could win on turn four, Cat not included?

The electrostatic pummler decks can easily win by turn 4 with no disruption, if you're talking current standard.

Atarka Red was very quick, as was origins RDW